Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Canolite D and Canonet G-III QL17
Old 12-24-2016   #1
wildmuskellunge

Canolite D and Canonet G-III QL17

Heya's,

I've bene using and loving the Canonet G-III for about a month now. Just recently I purchased the Canolite D flash unit. I put in some fresh batteries into the flash and the primer light goes on and I have read the manual, but for the life of me I cannot get the flash to go off.

Anything obvious I may be missing or other ideas?

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2016   #2
gb hill

Just reread my instructions on both the camera & the Canolite flash I have. As long as you have the camera set on A it should work but what you need to look at is the needle. If the needle is in the red you are too far or overexposed & it will not fire. What film are you trying to shoot?

I haven't used my flash in a long while but do remember it being finicky. I was shooting at an outdoor Halloween party at night & was like the needle would be all erratic until it centered, then would fire. The photo's looked cool but people said the flash was too bright & got mad.

They were kids so I kept shooting...ha..ha.

You might have an issue with a broken wire to the hot shoe but only guessing. I should pull my flash out again but right now it's loaded with 400 B&W. Good luck with the camera. I love mine.

Old 12-24-2016   #3
splitimageview

Try another flash to see if it fires

Old 12-24-2016   #4
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmuskellunge View Post
... I cannot get the flash to go off.

Anything obvious I may be missing or other ideas?

Thanks.
List of straws grabbed at:
  • Check that the grey cover over the PC terminal is in its upmost position completely covering the terminal. This is a switch that turns off the hot shoe when the PC terminal is in use. I might be a good idea to swing it open and let is spring closed a few times.
  • Make sure the battery in the camera is also good.

Old 12-24-2016   #5
wildmuskellunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
  • Check that the grey cover over the PC terminal is in its upmost position completely covering the terminal. This is a switch that turns off the hot shoe when the PC terminal is in use. I might be a good idea to swing it open and let is spring closed a few times.
Thanks, what/where is the PC terminal?

Old 12-24-2016   #6
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmuskellunge View Post
Thanks, what/where is the PC terminal?
On the side of the camera, just below the rewind knob. Slide the gray cover away, and you'll see the PC contact.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 12-24-2016   #7
madNbad

This may help:
s-l1600 by Michael DeLuca, on Flickr

Old 12-26-2016   #8
wildmuskellunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
The battery is good and the PC terminal door seems to be good. I'll keep messing with it...

Old 01-08-2017   #9
appiebroomer

h
Have you tested the flash ? You can trigger the flash when its not mounted on the camera by taking a paper clip and bending it so you can contact the center contact on the foot with the side contact of the foot. If the flash is good this will set off the flash. If the flash works and the aperture ring set on A, try moving the focus ring to different positions while releasing the shutter.

Old 01-08-2017   #10
ronnies

With the flash attached and switched on, does the aperture selected in the viewfinder change as you focus? Just wondering if the camera isn't detecting the flash. Maybe even try setting the camera to one of the guide numbers and seeing if the flash fires then?

Ronnie

Old 01-09-2017   #11
wildmuskellunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiebroomer View Post
h
Have you tested the flash ? You can trigger the flash when its not mounted on the camera by taking a paper clip and bending it so you can contact the center contact on the foot with the side contact of the foot. If the flash is good this will set off the flash. If the flash works and the aperture ring set on A, try moving the focus ring to different positions while releasing the shutter.
Ahah, I had been trying to figure out how to do that. I did as you suggested and indeed, the flash did not fire. Thanks, appiebroomer! Must be a faulty part somewhere.