Minilab VS Enlarger
Old 12-31-2016   #1
marameo

Minilab VS Enlarger

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to tell an analog print from a minilab. I had a lab enlarge a 6x7 color negative on a 20x25 matte fujifilm paper including the negative strip. Because they also advertise their minilab service I am now in two minds..

Behind the print it does not mention the paper, just the brand (Fujifilm). I was expecting something like the type of paper "Archive supreme.."

Also, I can spot a tiny spot on subject hair. Yet, that may be a a dust particle on the negative.

The print itself is good anyway although I wish they could print glossy at this size and larger.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2017   #2
x-ray

I doubt you'll want to do this but if you take a sharpe blade like an xacto and scrape through the emulsion you should see magenta, cyan and yellow layers if it's a wet chromogenic print. Inkjet is sprayed on the paper as a single layer and most likely will have a dot or some sort of color matrix if examined with a high power loupe. Scraping through the ink would NOT reveal different color layers.

I understand the current Fuji mini lab prints are inkjet and not wet prints / chromogenic. The Fuji chromogenic/wet prints I'm familiar with say Fiji Chrystal Archive on the back.

You might ask the lab.

Old 01-07-2017   #3
Huss

The Fuji mini lab printers that Costco uses create silver halide prints i.e not ink jet.