Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Nicca Take Up Spool
Old 01-06-2017   #1
Spavinaw

Nicca Take Up Spool

As best I can measure, the hole diameter of a Leica/Canon take up spool is 10.5mm, a Yashica YF is 9.7mm, a Nicca /Tower is 8.75mm, and there may be others. I'm looking for a Nicca 8.75mm one, and so far haven't found one. Does anyone know if there are other brand spools with the same diameter or how to sleeve a Leica spool to reduce it's diameter? And, no, I don't have a lathe.

Old 01-06-2017   #2
wjlapier

The takeup spool in my Nicca 3S says "Germany" on it. I can't remember if the Leica's say Leica. It fits fine. Maybe the Canon spools?

Old 01-06-2017   #3
Peter Jennings

Canon spools do fit. I just tested one in a III-S.

Old 01-06-2017   #4
Spavinaw

O.K. folks, looks like I'm going to have to be a little more specific. I have a Sears Tower 45/46 body by Nicca. The spool that fits my particular body has an 8.75mm hole. I know. I have two of these bodies, one with a spool and one without a spool, so I know what I need. As stated above, a Leica/Canon spool has a 10.5mm diameter hole. Way too big. Even if you have a Tower 45/46 body with a size different from 8.75mm (a change during the production run maybe) that still does not change the fact that I need a spool with an 8.75mm hole. Now, let's try this again.

Old 01-07-2017   #5
YouAreHere

Two ideas:

1) overwrap the camera takeup spindle to 10.5mm and use a Leica spool.

2) starting with a too big spool, take a screwtop ballpoint pen and separate the top and bottom, either gets you a 'reducing' sheath. Trick then is to find a segment with inner dimension 8.75.