Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

Mac OS Sierra: Photos to replace Aperture
Old 09-27-2016   #1
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Mac OS Sierra: Photos to replace Aperture

Hi:

Anyone on Mac Sierra yet? Reason for my question is that I am using Aperture on an older Mac OS (10.8.5 what ever lion? snow leopard I think), I'd like to get on Apples latest and greatest OS, 10.8.5 is very slow. But I am using Aperture, I spoke with Apple and they are still testing older un-supported apps like Aperture and I do not have a lot of confidence in upgrading yet.

I looked at new OS Sierra Photos on line and its not bad, and for what I do in Aperture it may work, most of my post processing is in Silver Efex Pro 2 with minor PP in Aperture, its more of my library now.

Any thoughts out there? Thank you in advance

Old 09-27-2016   #2
SaveKodak

Just switch to LR.

Old 09-27-2016   #3
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Just switch to LR.
Good advice, I am going to download a trial-last lime I played with LR (5 years 4
5 years ago) I MUCH preferred Aperture-just how my brain works though to your point LR would make it easier..... Thank you!

Old 09-27-2016   #4
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

having never used Aperture or Lightroom, I can't really comment on either of them. But.. You might find that Darktable, which is an open source "replacement" "knockoff" "pick your description" for Lightroom, is satisfactory. It's free, so you can try it out.

http://www.darktable.org/install/#osx

Old 09-27-2016   #5
madNbad

Apple cut Aperture adrift when OSX El Capitan was launched with the reasoning it was easier to integrate IOS generated images into Photos and Aperture was never a big seller for them. Plus Photos is geared to Cloud storage and sharing across mobile devices with an eye on users upgrading to a more extensive storage plan. If you are doing a lot of PP then Light Room would make sense but if it's just minor tweaks, Photos will be fine.

Old 09-27-2016   #6
Peter Jennings

Aperture still works on macOS Sierra the same as it has with past OSX releases. I haven't noticed any changes in performance. If you're happy with how it has worked for you in the past, then just stick with it. The Photos app on mac is not a replacement for Aperture in my mind.

Old 09-27-2016   #7
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
Aperture still works on macOS Sierra the same as it has with past OSX releases. I haven't noticed any changes in performance. If you're happy with how it has worked for you in the past, then just stick with it. The Photos app on mac is not a replacement for Aperture in my mind.
Thanks Peter, so youve upgraded to Sierra and all OK- nice. The Apple App tech said it works and to be safe wait a while.... cool.

Old 09-27-2016   #8
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

All that said, I have Sierra, I have Aperture and they both are working just fine thank you.

Old 09-27-2016   #9
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I use El Capitan and Aperture. Aperture works fine. But Photos can do essentially everything that Aperture does, but you have to dig down just a bit more in menus to find the Aperture-level tools.

Old 09-27-2016   #10
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Photos can do essentially everything that Aperture does, but you have to dig down just a bit more in menus to find the Aperture-level tools.
Do the tools remain in some deep menu, or can you bring them to the default UI?

I still have not really tried Photos, as I plan on using it together with the Apple TV (which seriously needs a 4k update to become useful for viewing and presenting photos).

Old 11-12-2016   #11
danielsterno
making soup from mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
Thank You! And to your point/advice: I upgraded to Siera without a hitch, Aperture works more efficiently & I am on the last release of Aperture that was not available before: Thus on latest release of OS and Aperture.... all is good.

Old 11-12-2016   #12
Bill Clark

Just thought I'd mention, Photoshop Elements is something to consider.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

Old 11-13-2016   #13
willie_901

Not only does Aperture still work, but Apple performs demosaicing at the OS level. This means new cameras will eventually become supported as OS X is updated. The updates seem to arrive somewhat behind other rendering platforms.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-13-2016   #14
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Do the tools remain in some deep menu, or can you bring them to the default UI?
You can bring them up to the main editing section.

I've become increasingly disenchanted with Lightroom (partly due to a "You are not logged in to Lightroom Mobile" nag box that literally nothing works to dismiss) and have been increasingly fond of Photos. I export all my pictures into Photos already anyway. So I'm thinking of dumping Lightroom, buying Affinity Photo, and using the External Editor plugin for Photos to use Affinity as my editor, with Photos as my library manager. There's also a Develop plugin in Affinity that gives you quick access to those features inside Photos.

I would have preferred more professional tools in Photos by now, and I don't like the way it stores pictures in the file system. But I love having all my photos instantly synced to my phone. I enjoy looking at, and showing people, pictures much more these days than I used to.

Old 11-13-2016   #15
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I've become increasingly disenchanted with Lightroom (partly due to a "You are not logged in to Lightroom Mobile" nag box that literally nothing works to dismiss) and have been increasingly fond of Photos. I export all my pictures into Photos already anyway. ...
To eliminate the Lightroom Mobile nag dialog:
  • Open Lightroom > Identity Plate Setup
  • Choose Lightroom Mobile from the popup menu to the right of "Identity Plate:"
  • Un-check "Show Status and Activity"
  • Click OK

G

Old 11-13-2016   #16
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
To eliminate the Lightroom Mobile nag dialog:
  • Open Lightroom > Identity Plate Setup
  • Choose Lightroom Mobile from the popup menu to the right of "Identity Plate:"
  • Un-check "Show Status and Activity"
  • Click OK

G
Yeah, I've been there and back, unchecked it many months ago, it doesn't work. I spent months trolling forums trying to make it stop. I've given up. There's a small minority of users who cannot seem to get rid of this dialog, and I'm evidently one of them. But thank you.

Old 11-13-2016   #17
mabelsound

And I should add that it's not just the nag box bug: Adobe really wants you to subscribe, and makes it very frustrating to simply buy new versions of LR by burying them on the website, and the very existence of the nag box makes it clear that they want me to use the app in a manner that is not useful to me, and I feel as though the clock is ticking on the software philosophy I prefer. So, I'm seeking alternatives. Rumor has it that Serif is actually planning to add a digital collections feature to Affinity next year, which would be great.

Old 11-14-2016   #18
tom.w.bn

Quote:
And I should add that it's not just the nag box bug: Adobe really wants you to subscribe, and makes it very frustrating to simply buy new versions of LR by burying them on the website, and the very existence of the nag box makes it clear that they want me to use the app in a manner that is not useful to me, and I feel as though the clock is ticking on the software philosophy I prefer. So, I'm seeking alternatives. Rumor has it that Serif is actually planning to add a digital collections feature to Affinity next year, which would be great.
Affinity is a great photo editing software but the built in raw converter is still far away from the quality you get from LR or C1.

Old 11-14-2016   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Yeah, I've been there and back, unchecked it many months ago, it doesn't work. I spent months trolling forums trying to make it stop. I've given up. There's a small minority of users who cannot seem to get rid of this dialog, and I'm evidently one of them. But thank you.
Quote:
You also have to be sure that the rest of the Lightroom Mobile preferences are disabled in Lightroom Preferences. But I'm no expert—just doing these things eliminated it for me and it's never come back.

It's obvious that Adobe wants their customers to move to the subscription service. For the moment, LR 6.7 covers all my needs and cameras, and has a better image management and image editor than anything else I use short of Photoshop itself.

Apple's raw image converter (that Photos, Aperture, and even Preview take advantage of) is actually pretty darn good, at least for my cameras. And Photos advanced tools, hidden though they might be, actually do a decent job. It's the image management that I dislike in Photos: it doesn't fit my intended workflow very well and is overly complex. I have tried several times to become comfortable with it and lose interest very quickly.

Whatever works for you is the right solution.

G

Old 11-14-2016   #20
mabelsound

Quote:
It's the image management that I dislike in Photos: it doesn't fit my intended workflow very well and is overly complex. I have tried several times to become comfortable with it and lose interest very quickly.
Definitely sympathetic to this...in particular the difficulty batch-renaming photos, and the fact that the title is not automatically copied from the filename. But most of the things I want to do with pictures, is actually simpler to do in Photos. My processing needs are pretty light.

I'll go through all the LR steps again and see if I can get it to work this time.

Old 11-14-2016   #21
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
It's the image management that I dislike in Photos: it doesn't fit my intended workflow very well and is overly complex.
It does seem rather obtuse to me also, but I am no longer showing, so I have no "workflow."

I never did have a workflow, I guess, I just looked at my slides on a light table with my dealer, and had some of them printed.

Managing digital images is a hopeless mystery for me. I liked a stack of slides in my hands.

Old 11-14-2016   #22
Bill Clark

Take a look at this progran:

https://macphun.com/luminar?utm_sour...S_Photography3

Nice price!

Old 11-14-2016   #23
Bill Clark

If you make people photographs, something to look at:

https://www.facebook.com/Portrait.Pr...=page_internal

Old 11-14-2016   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
It does seem rather obtuse to me also, but I am no longer showing, so I have no "workflow."

I never did have a workflow, I guess, I just looked at my slides on a light table with my dealer, and had some of them printed.

Managing digital images is a hopeless mystery for me. I liked a stack of slides in my hands.
A stack of slides in my hand was great when I worked with 36 shots at a time. Nowadays, I tend to work with several hundred, at least at first when I'm getting started on stuff. That alone means different tools and techniques are necessary.

Managing digital images isn't a 'hopeless mystery', it is daunting until you learn a few simple techniques with a couple of good tools. Then it's as easy as the stack of slides.

G

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
mabelsound

Affinity just had a big update, including the ability to bring it up as a plugin in Photos, and it's back down to $40.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
ColSebastianMoran

Daniel, here's what I do:

- Keep your current system as is. But, your hardware is at least 3 years old, time for a new computer. Keep the old one with it's current OS so you know you can run the old software forever.
- Buy a new computer. Use it. Use it for everything till you find something that doesn't work.

One more thing: Just because Aperture runs on Sierra today doesn't guarantee it will do so tomorrow. You don't want to wake up one morning having lost access.

One more thing: Keep getting security updates on the old computer, or else disconnect it entirely from the internet.

FWIW I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Occasionally PhotoMatix, Aurora, and DXO

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
splitimageview

I'm curious why Aperture would suddenly stop working on Sierra? Did you actually mean, "stop working with the next OS release?"