Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Removing focussing hood Yashica 635
Old 12-24-2016   #1
mike-s

Removing focussing hood Yashica 635

I have just acquired a Yashica 635 - nice camera. I want to take the hood off to check the mirror and screen but after removing the 4 screws the hood won't lift off. It lifts a little and seems free on the left hand side (viewed from the back) but the right side seems to be snagging on something. Anybody got any ideas or come across this before?

I have done a quick search but can't find any reference to this problem.

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-24-2016   #2
Dan Daniel

Keep wiggling it around. Slant forward, backwards. Try with the hood open and with it closed. You're right, it's simply snagging on something and it will come out with some more judicious wiggling, tipping, etc. As long as you don't bend the main frame or the pop-up section, any small bends below the focus screen will be easy to straighten. There is a triangle of sheet metal on each side, that's all, and even if they bend slightly in removal it's no biggie.

The focus screen is two pieces- a ground glass top piece and a plastic fresnel bottom piece. Make a note on the orientation of the parts, including the grooved side of the fresnel. I mention this because a, the plastic shouldn't have ammonia or such used on it, and b, if you get liquid between the two pieces it will be messy and need to be opened, dried, etc.

Old 12-25-2016   #3
mike-s

Dan, thanks very much. I will do as you suggest and try again. Thanks also for the advice on the screen. Although I am a long time Rollei user this is my first Yashica TLR. I must say I am impressed with the build quality and the smoothness of the operation.

Thanks again

Mike