Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Old 02-23-2016   #41
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Darn...

The DP Quattro series cameras has an additional aspect ratio 21:9 that they left out of new sd quattro cameras.

Gary
21:9 is listed in the specs...

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/camer...pecifications/

Shawn

Old 02-23-2016   #42
Samouraï

http://3.static.img-dpreview.com/fil...1190292583.jpg
What a cool battery grip, thanks for the tip-off. I love it. And is that dual screens on the back? Or just one very wide screen?
Sigma really needs to develop a native Linux version of SPP.

Old 02-23-2016   #43
Eric T

Yes, but the 21:9 ratio is just a crop of the standard 3:2 aspect ratio. I don't need that. I'll just crop it later if needed.

Old 02-23-2016   #44
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
I was a big fan of the Merrill cameras but I just don't think the Quattro cameras are a step up in IQ. I liked my SD1 but for some reason it became a huge battery hog so I stopped using it.
I just don't like the Quattro sensor. I don't like the lower resolution for two of three colors compared to the Merrill sensor. The Quattro files process faster and are a little better at higher ISO but, for me, the IQ isn't there.
I love the Foveon concept but the technology isn't there yet to handle the noise at high ISO.
I am tempted to try the new SD Quattro but I will wait for a comparison with the SD1.
If u can shoot close to base ISO the Merrill sensor provides superior fidelity for most situations. The main reason I still have my Merrill cameras.

Gary

Old 02-23-2016   #45
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
21:9 is listed in the specs...

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/camer...pecifications/

Shawn
Thanks.. I was looking at the specs from a different site and they didn't have it there. I think it was DP review..

Gary

Old 02-23-2016   #46
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
Yes, but the 21:9 ratio is just a crop of the standard 3:2 aspect ratio. I don't need that. I'll just crop it later if needed.
Like any other aspect ratio whether 4:3, 3:2 or 1:1, it is not not a crop but that info is passed in the raw file and SPP respects the info and maintains the aspect ratio during presentation and conversion to tiff format.

On top u c what the final product looks like.

If I are one that never uses the different aspect ratios but crops during post, then yeh. For me, I like to composed based on my intended aspect ratio...much easier seeing it then imagining what it will look like.

Gary

Side by side shot of the sd1 Merrill and sd Quattro
Old 03-22-2016   #47
GaryLH

Side by side shot of the sd1 Merrill and sd Quattro

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/sigm...-the-nec-show/

Just an FYI.

Gary

Old 10-19-2016   #48
maitani

any brave people took the dive into the SD quattros yet?

Old 10-19-2016   #49
Yokosuka_Mike

Sd Quattro... dive, dive, dive!

Old 10-20-2016   #50
maitani

nice !! impressive pics

Old 10-20-2016   #51
Yokosuka_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
nice !! impressive pics
Hi Maitani!

Thanks for the kind remark. The Sd Quattro is a fun camera to use. I get my best results when I treat it like an old film camera; working slowly and deliberately to get the shot. It's certainly not a camera for fast action or quickly changing situations. The auto focus is slow but in my experience accurate.

All the best,
Mike

Old 10-21-2016   #52
RichardPhoto

Does anyone have experience of both the DP0 and the SD?

I'm tempted by the DP0 to use as a digital XPan style camera. 21:9 + 14mm lens looks like a great approximation. As mentioned previously, I want to work in the aspect ratio I want, not to crop in PP, so this is a great feature.

What has surprised me is the price of the SD. In the UK the DP0 and SD body are the same price. Adding a lens would cost more, but ultimately give me the flexibility of using different lenses in the future (although the inability to use lots of legacy lenses is a major disappointment).

I'm not familiar with Sigma at all - do they have a 14mm prime? I'm happy to use a manual legacy lens if that's a possibility as I'm not bothered about AF (I'm guessing the SD has focus peaking?).

Old 10-21-2016   #53
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Are there adaptors for other lenses to be used on sigma bodies? Specially I'm thinking about Nikon lenses. If so, it might be something to look into once my venerable workhorse D700 gives up (which I hope is not in immediate future, even though shutter count says to me it can be any day now).

Old 10-23-2016   #54
Samouraï

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
Are there adaptors for other lenses to be used on sigma bodies? Specially I'm thinking about Nikon lenses. If so, it might be something to look into once my venerable workhorse D700 gives up (which I hope is not in immediate future, even though shutter count says to me it can be any day now).
The SA mount has the same 44mm flange focal distance as the Canon EF mount (as well as its af protocol and mount electrical contacts...but in a different order I believe?). So Nikon F lenses will definitely adapt to the SA mount without issue, but that's only if an F to SA adapter is out there.

JTAT makes one. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3157831 Though I don't know if they're still available. There are SD, SA to EF, flange conversions out there.

As for Nikon G lenses, well I doubt there is an adapter for SA flange. But there is a G to EF adapter with electronic focus confirmation and manual iris control. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...type_lens.html

Old 12-14-2016   #55
Chemophilic

Quote:
Does anyone have experience of both the DP0 and the SD?
I do. I used to have an Xpan, but sold it after I got the DP0. I only shoot 21:9 on the DP0 and it's been giving me some amazing pictures. Granted the handling on the Xpan is much nicer, but for the convenience and image quality, I think the dp0 is quite good.

As long as you are shooting in good light, that is. Anything above 400 on the DP0 is not that great.