Sell M4-P for E-X2?
Old 12-05-2016   #1
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Sell M4-P for E-X2?

I'm trying not to collect gear, but keep cameras I'm using. I have M4-P which I purchased to study 28mm lens RF photography. 28mm lens is gone (not my cup of tea) and I don't need M4-P, because I have two other film M to use and take care off.

My wife still using old 5.1 MP FujiFilm advanced P&S camera.
FinePix S5200 from 2005.

She likes it because it works in full Auto. I was trying to introduce her to Canon DSLRs, but their Auto mode is complete failure comparing to this old Fuji P&S.

Her hands from time to time are affected by some illness when she having difficulties to hold something heavy as DSLR with zoom. She prefers zoom to prime.

I wonder, would X-E2 with kit zoom lens replace old Fuji for her. She is using rear screen mostly if not all of the time and only mode she is using is full auto. My wife takes great portraits of your kids, better what I'm taking with any gear I have.

I was thinking of Panasonic LX100 as well, but I'm not sure if lens like this will survive in our family, we have similar retracing lens in simpler and older Lumix and it was mishandled by our kids, while old FujiFilm has lens with internal zoom and focusing and SLR like lenses seems to be more robust comparing to Lumix retracting lenses. And I think, X-E2 sensor will give better IQ and more usable higher ISO, before build-in flash kicks in, while Lumix LX100 doesn't have flash...

Old 12-05-2016   #2
jsrockit

Ko.Fe, maybe she'd like the Fuji X30? But of course the X-E2 is nice.

Old 12-05-2016   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

This will be right on the money. Seems to have "strong" enough lens, with manual zoom. Auto and face recognition.
Will it give suitable IQ for 8x10 prints if pictures are taken indoors? With what she is using now it is good for small prints and light must be strong or flash.

Old 12-05-2016   #4
pepeguitarra

How much is the M4-P selling for?

Old 12-05-2016   #5
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I purchased it at RFF for 700 USD about four months ago.

Old 12-05-2016   #6
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Will it give suitable IQ for 8x10 prints if pictures are taken indoors?
Looks ok up to 1600 iso... for sure iso 800. Should be ok for 8x10" prints for sure. The lens is fast too... I think it could be good for her needs. The only thing is that it doesn't have fast AF in low light. I'm not sure how her P&S was in that regard.

Old 12-05-2016   #7
nasmformyzombie
Registered

An older Fujifilm X100S is well within your budget, is more robust than any P&S camera, is a simpler camera to use, and will be easier to handle if the issue with her hands is a problem. However, obviously no zoom lens.

Old 12-05-2016   #8
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Looks ok up to 1600 iso... for sure iso 800. Should be ok for 8x10" prints for sure. The lens is fast too... I think it could be good for her needs. The only thing is that it doesn't have fast AF in low light. I'm not sure how her P&S was in that regard.
Thank you for proving more info! Old one is not fast for AF, but consistent, I think, it is using beam light for focus assistance if light is low.

Old 12-05-2016   #9
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
A older Fujifilm X100S is well within your budget, is more robust than any P&S camera, is a simpler camera to use, and will be easier to handle if the issue with her hands is a problem. However, obviously no zoom lens.
No, it is only zoom. She needs it wide if she takes picture of furniture for sale and she is using mid tele for face portraits, also longer end if something from wildlife is on the backyard.

Old 12-05-2016   #10
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Ko.Fe., I've recently started using a Panasonic LX100. Its quite a nice little camera with a fast zoom lens, 24mm to 75mm (f1.7 at the wide end to f2.8 at the tele end). Compact design with controls that allow everything from fully manual to fully automatic operation. It uses a micro four thirds sensor with about 12Mp. I've printed 9x12; they look GREAT!

Old 12-05-2016   #11
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Ko.Fe., I've recently started using a Panasonic LX100. Its quite a nice little camera with a fast zoom lens, 24mm to 75mm (f1.7 at the wide end to f2.8 at the tele end). Compact design with controls that allow everything from fully manual to fully automatic operation. It uses a micro four thirds sensor with about 12Mp. I've printed 9x12; they look GREAT!
Yes, I have mentioned it in OP. I don't think what lens zoom with exposed barrels operated by W-T electronic switch is going to make it with my family. We have tested it with smaller Lumix and Leica lens. Now (often) I have to "help" this lens to come out from the body. I don't mind to do it with 40$ Lumix, but not with 700$ Lumix after kids will engage with it few times. And it is not for me, but for my wife...

Old 12-06-2016   #12
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

So, X30 is gone from regular stores, because it is discontinued. X-E2 is expensive and my wife is not using EFV on current old Fuji PS.

And here is new X-A3 with some special rendering for skin, selfie mode touch screen, 7 cm close up. And no VF at all to keep me away from using it!
My wife, plus three daughters at home and one is living nearby. At least two of them could use selfie mode and transfer it to their phones. It looks like Fuji guys knows about my situation.
Here is their picture from X-A3 page.

Just like at our home

Old 12-06-2016   #13
Gregm61

Nice looking camera.

Old 12-06-2016   #14
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
So, X30 is gone from regular stores, because it is discontinued. X-E2 is expensive and my wife is not using EFV on current old Fuji PS.

And here is new X-A3 with some special rendering for skin, selfie mode touch screen, 7 cm close up. And no VF at all to keep me away from using it!
My wife, plus three daughters at home and one is living nearby. At least two of them could use selfie mode and transfer it to their phones. It looks like Fuji guys knows about my situation.
Here is their picture from X-A3 page.

Just like at our home
How's the space on your computer hard drive. The X-A3 has a 24.2 megapixel image sensor.

Old 12-06-2016   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
So, X30 is gone from regular stores, because it is discontinued.
In Canada? In the US, I still see it in stores.

The X-A3 is actually a pretty good choice, I had forgotten about it.

Old 12-06-2016   #16
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
How's the space on your computer hard drive. The X-A3 has a 24.2 megapixel image sensor.
I don't know how advanced X-A3 is, but nobody at home needs its RAWs (same with currently in use old Fuji PS) and JPEG1 are selectable for smaller size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
In Canada? In the US, I still see it in stores.

The X-A3 is actually a pretty good choice, I had forgotten about it.
Yes, X30 is gone from fujifilm.ca as well as from the listings in the local stores.

Old 12-06-2016   #17
Dogman

The X-E2 (or newer X-E2S...with the updated firmware for the X-E2, they're pretty much the same) is a very capable camera. Even though I'm not an EVF fan, I bought one as a secondary model to my X-Pro1 but I found myself using the X-E2 just as much if not more. I only have Fuji prime lenses but I've read good reports about the Fuji 18-55 zoom's IQ...but I've never used that lens. Since the X-E2(S) body is only slightly larger than the X100 series, it's light and easy to handle using either EVF or rear LCD. If you add the 27/2.8 pancake lens, you've got a package that's almost pocketable.

One of my favorite things about Fuji cameras is how user friendly they are. Most lenses have aperture rings (but the 18-55 doesn't...neither does the 27mm pancake, come to think of it) and you have a real shutter speed dial.

In my experience, Fuji's Xtrans sensors handle ISOs up to 3200 pretty easily. I print photos with the image area between 6x9 inches and 12x18 inches and they hold up well, IMO. I use auto ISO with 3200 set as the limit and I simply don't pay much attention to where the ISO moves. I also crop when necessary. But, admittedly, I'm not a stickler for absolute image quality--an interesting picture is more important to me than one with perfect IQ.

Old 12-06-2016   #18
f16sunshine

^^^^
Actually Dogman the 18-55 does have an aperture ring. It just does not have stops on the lens.
Think of it as more of aperture controller ring. One sees the aperture setting in the eve or lcd but not marked on the lens itself.

Old 12-07-2016   #19
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
^^^^
Actually Dogman the 18-55 does have an aperture ring. It just does not have stops on the lens.
Think of it as more of aperture controller ring. One sees the aperture setting in the eve or lcd but not marked on the lens itself.
Okay. My mistake...I thought its design was like that of the pancake lens. As I said, I don't own the 18-55 so I'm not familiar with it other than its reputation for quality.

Old 12-07-2016   #20
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

And here is X-A10, which is even less expensive, has more reasonable amount of MPs and doesn't have some insignificant functions of X-A3, which nobody going to use at home any way. But it is not available, yet.
Fuji page for this camera directly targeting my family "audience"
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...ujifilm_x_a10/

Old 12-07-2016   #21
jsrockit

I think you're on the right track now. The X-E2 is too much camera for her and these other cameras will feel more like what she is used to.

Old 12-07-2016   #22
f16sunshine

Somehow I was under the (mis)understanding that the XA10 would not be released in North America.
That product page link above is fujifilm usa.
Ko, you mention it will cost less than the XA3? I wonder how much.

I had the XA1 for a year. The images from the f1.4/35mm in particular were super.
Fuji Bayer sensor with the XF lenses is a very nice thing.

Old 12-07-2016   #23
grouchos_tash

XA10/XA3 are probably a good idea but what about a M43 from Olympus or Panasonic?

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 12-07-2016   #24
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Retail on the XA10 is $499, and it will be available in January.

Old 12-07-2016   #25
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post
XA10/XA3 are probably a good idea but what about a M43 from Olympus or Panasonic?
I don't like Olympus menus. Panasonic has more expensive cameras with smaller sensor than X-A series. Why to pay more for less?

Old 12-07-2016   #26
f16sunshine

Quote:
I don't like Olympus menus. Panasonic has more expensive cameras with smaller sensor than X-A series. Why to pay more for less?

The fuji system is loaded with great prime lenses also. It's maybe the best choice for mirrorless overall.
If you got the wife a f2/35mm at some point you may have a camera you also enjoy using.
Anyway good luck. The XA10 looks great. I would like to get one for my family also.
Our 13 year old Signe has been using my XE1 and 27mm. The trouble is selfies.... The XA10 solves that.
Cheers

Old 12-07-2016   #27
Dogman

X-A10 looks like a pretty decent choice. It's not for me but it has a lot going for it. Here's a somewhat snarky, somewhat positive assessment:
http://macfilos.com/photo/2016/12/1/...tion-snowflake

Old 12-07-2016   #28
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
X-A10 looks like a pretty decent choice. It's not for me but it has a lot going for it.
Auto mode isn't for everyone....

In 2007 I used mobile phone with camera and images size good almost for ... nothing related to family pictures.
I went to the Source and purchased slightly old, but NiB and under warranty FujiFilm DSLR like, small, advanced P&S with normal zoom, f3.3-5.6 lens and 5MPs sensor. It was great for upto 5x7 prints.
At the end of 2008 we purchased 16MPs DSLR to be able to print family pictures on 8x10. My wife took DSLR once, placed kid behind of Christmas Tree and DSLR took perfectly in focus Christmas Tree and kid OOF picture. She took Fuji P&S and right away it took kid picture in focus by full auto.

Now, in 2016, FujiFilm came with small camera of same as our DSLR MPs amount, same sensor size, but same auto functionality as in our 10+ years old FujiFilm P&S, plus more auto modes.

Old 12-07-2016   #29
grouchos_tash

Quote:
I had a look at the GX8 the other day and it's huge compared to my X-T10 and the viewfinder was crap.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 12-12-2016   #30
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Here is always something to learn with Fuji...

X-E2S has one most important button which everyone in my family needs. It is "set to full AUTO" button.
"Turn camera on and press this button" - sounds like home!