Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

Tell me about the camera, Ihagee sheet film RF
Old 10-22-2016   #1
MikeMGB

Tell me about the camera, Ihagee sheet film RF

I don't even remember where I got this camera, and unfortunately the pack of film holders that came with it are the wrong ones, all I have for it is the ground glass screen, I do have a nice set of Ihagee glass plate holders though.

I'm very tempted to hunt down a set of the correct 6x9 holders and see how this camera does, everything works as it should and the lens is crystal clear.

Does anyone have one and use it?

Old 10-22-2016   #2
Steve M.

I've owned several cameras like it. Lots of different camera makers made these plate cameras. Yours has a Zeiss lens and a decent shutter. Usually they are converted to use roll film backs w/ 120 film (6x9). You CAN get the sheet film sheaths that work w/ your plate holders. Unfortunately, they are not necessarily standard, even though they may be similarly marked. So just because you get one that should fit, well, it may not. Which is why I recommend going to roll film (just buy the inexpensive Suydam roll film holders and they work fine) and guesstimating your distances. These things can take beautiful photos, especially portraits, although that Zeiss lens may be a little too sharp for pictorial portraits. Great for landscapes when stopped down and set to infinity though!

Old 10-22-2016   #3
MikeMGB

Thank you, I'll check eBay for a roll film holder, that will probably suit me better than sheet film anyway.

Are the holders pretty much a universal fit or will I need to hunt for a specific one?

Old 10-23-2016   #4
David Hughes

Hi,

I've an Orionwerk Rio 3C which takes 6x9 cm plates etc and experience of hunting down 6x9 stuff tells me that there are very slight differences. Usually the width (6cm) is OK but the length can be a fraction 5 or 6mm short and so the holder doesn't go down all the way. Also stuff is usually rusty and you have to apply a little TLC.

Typing this from memory so be careful.

Regards, David

Old 10-23-2016   #5
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Easy way to check if it works or not, use sheet glass in holders to keep the film flat and purchase sheet film. At least Maco direct sells 6x9 sheet film still. There must be plenty of other places too

Old 10-23-2016   #6
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

There is extensive info on plate cameras at www.apug.org

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?...ccessories.80/

ETA I have three 9x12 plate cameras and a collection of plate holders with film inserts (sheaths)

[IMG]Three 9x12 Folders by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have several boxes of 9x12 film but I have mostly used darkroom printing paper for negatives. The cameras work great id you have a decent lens and a good shutter. They are compact enough that they can be taken places that a 4x5 would seem too bulky.

p.s. Plate holders can be picked up fairly cheap on the net (eBay) sometimes with the film sheaths which can also be found separately. I'm using mostly Kodak branded plate holders and sheaths in my Ihagee 9x12 but there is no guarantee yours is the same since the sellers frequently made changes in their part providers.

Old 10-23-2016   #7
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

This is from a scanned 6x9 paper negative.

Nikon D750 on paper negative
by JOHN EARLEY, on Flickr

9x12 Paper Neg - Hatchet

Scanned paper negative from a 9x12 Zeiss Maximar

Old 10-25-2016   #8
MikeMGB

Thank you for the responses, I'll do some research and see what I can come up with in the way of a roll film holder. I definitely like the idea of using this camera.

Old 10-25-2016   #9
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
I don't even remember where I got this camera, and unfortunately the pack of film holders that came with it are the wrong ones, all I have for it is the ground glass screen, I do have a nice set of Ihagee glass plate holders though.

I'm very tempted to hunt down a set of the correct 6x9 holders and see how this camera does, everything works as it should and the lens is crystal clear.

Does anyone have one and use it?

Nice looking camera. And it has a RF added. Those were usually after market, and in those times, many owners would have had the skills to install an RF themselves. Installation could be paid for with what today seems a ridiculously small amount of money, but back then was not.

What back do you have? Some, I think may started by Graflex, had sides that had no groove, but more had the same thickness of the part that fits in the camera's back's groove, but the holder had its own groove, and without that groove, the holder would not fit.

I have both 9x12 and 6x9, with cut film holders, and a roll film holder in each size. It is just that the 6x9 uses 129 film which is no longer available, and I have yet to go to the bother of making my own roll film from 120.

It sounds like as was suggested, you could use your holders with film held in place by plate glass. I have never tried that so I don't know if it would work easily or not.

film holders in 6x9 and 9x12 can be found on ebay, you just have to keep looking and know what you are illing to pay. If a seller doesn't show good photos so you know you are getting sheaths, or says they don't know and don't want to look, I would not buy. I would not buy Russian cut film holders as I have never seen one with sheaths, and some sellers have told me they were never meant to be used with anything but glass holders.?

They are kind of fun cameras to use, and you get a lot of film real estate to play with. They are compact, and those made of wood are very light for their size. Some even had interchangeable lenses. I have a Bee Bee with interchangeable lenses in both 6x9 and 9x12. I think the norm for the other two lenses probably amounted to about a 35mm and 70m in 35mm cameras. I have yet to see any of those advertised on ebay, or they were not properly named/described.

I use a roller paper cutter to cut down 4x5 film for the cameras. I have never figured it out, but I don't think there is a big money loss in doing that, and there is a wider selection of film types.

You should try to use it in some way. You will like the negative size for sure.

Old 10-25-2016   #10
MikeMGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
Nice looking camera. And it has a RF added. Those were usually after market, and in those times, many owners would have had the skills to install an RF themselves. Installation could be paid for with what today seems a ridiculously small amount of money, but back then was not.

What back do you have? Some, I think may started by Graflex, had sides that had no groove, but more had the same thickness of the part that fits in the camera's back's groove, but the holder had its own groove, and without that groove, the holder would not fit.

I have both 9x12 and 6x9, with cut film holders, and a roll film holder in each size. It is just that the 6x9 uses 129 film which is no longer available, and I have yet to go to the bother of making my own roll film from 120.

It sounds like as was suggested, you could use your holders with film held in place by plate glass. I have never tried that so I don't know if it would work easily or not.

film holders in 6x9 and 9x12 can be found on ebay, you just have to keep looking and know what you are illing to pay. If a seller doesn't show good photos so you know you are getting sheaths, or says they don't know and don't want to look, I would not buy. I would not buy Russian cut film holders as I have never seen one with sheaths, and some sellers have told me they were never meant to be used with anything but glass holders.?

They are kind of fun cameras to use, and you get a lot of film real estate to play with. They are compact, and those made of wood are very light for their size. Some even had interchangeable lenses. I have a Bee Bee with interchangeable lenses in both 6x9 and 9x12. I think the norm for the other two lenses probably amounted to about a 35mm and 70m in 35mm cameras. I have yet to see any of those advertised on ebay, or they were not properly named/described.

I use a roller paper cutter to cut down 4x5 film for the cameras. I have never figured it out, but I don't think there is a big money loss in doing that, and there is a wider selection of film types.

You should try to use it in some way. You will like the negative size for sure.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Annoyingly this camera came with a nice set of 9x12 plate holders in the original case. I guess this means that somewhere around is a 9x12 version of this camera complete with the 6x9 holders that I need!

The camera does have a focusing screen with it that slips into the film holder rails. I'll take some more photos this evening to show exactly what I do have.

I'll probably eBay the 9x12 ones and see what I can do about finding the correct ones.

Old 10-25-2016   #11
MikeMGB

I was asked earlier what back I have on this camera, it's this one, a glass focusing screen with cover.

Old 10-25-2016   #12
MikeMGB

Just found and purchased a Suydam 120 roll film holder for this camera.

Old 10-31-2016   #13
MikeMGB

I just received the Suydam, I'm looking forward to trying this camera!

Old 11-07-2016   #14
MikeMGB

Well, it works. There is one tiny light leak in the bellows, an easy fix.

Old 11-07-2016   #15
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

That's wonderful. Amazing there was a roll-film holder that fit it out of the box. Often you have to arrange an adapter plate...

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 11-07-2016   #16
oftheherd

That's great MikeMGB! Nice photo as well. I have never tried it but liquid electricians tape seems to be used for such things to good effect. How do you like it?

@rogue designer - To my knowledge, there were only two types of backs on 9x12. One was I think a graflex style with a large(er) opening than the other, which I think the other was more common. It had a slit down the sides. Most of the Suidam holders were I think that way, but I am not sure. I actually think the slit type would work in all cameras, but might throw of using the distance scale on the bed of most 9x12.

Old 11-07-2016   #17
MikeMGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer View Post
That's wonderful. Amazing there was a roll-film holder that fit it out of the box. Often you have to arrange an adapter plate...
Apparently the method of mounting 6.5x9 plate backs was universal, this film back would fit most cameras that used that size plate.

Old 11-07-2016   #18
MikeMGB

Quote:
That's great MikeMGB! Nice photo as well. I have never tried it but liquid electricians tape seems to be used for such things to good effect. How do you like it?

@rogue designer - To my knowledge, there were only two types of backs on 9x12. One was I think a graflex style with a large(er) opening than the other, which I think the other was more common. It had a slit down the sides. Most of the Suidam holders were I think that way, but I am not sure. I actually think the slit type would work in all cameras, but might throw of using the distance scale on the bed of most 9x12.
I have a bottle of liquid electrical tape, it's very effective on pinholes in cloth shutters.

I love the camera, the lens shift is awesome! I'm going to have to develop a system though, there are a lot of steps to using this set-up to take a single photograph and it's easy to miss a step. Forinstance, I once almost took the back off without replacing the dark slide - that would not have been good!

Old 11-08-2016   #19
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
I have a bottle of liquid electrical tape, it's very effective on pinholes in cloth shutters.

I love the camera, the lens shift is awesome! I'm going to have to develop a system though, there are a lot of steps to using this set-up to take a single photograph and it's easy to miss a step. Forinstance, I once almost took the back off without replacing the dark slide - that would not have been good!
While working on that, it is worth while to test some other things as well. You should check to ensure the focus is good for the scale on the bed. Sometimes they are missing and are replaced with one from another camera, before being sold. It is easy enough to test since you already have a ground glass. And you can if necessary, make another one that is correct, or simply replace what is there. It all depends on the type used.

Also check the folding reflective viewfinder on the front standard, to ensure it is accurate or reasonably so. Or can it be corrected or just compensated for. You will want to know that unless you intend to use the ground glass and tripod all the time. Being this is RFF, I don't need to tell you to do the same with your RF.

These cameras made good press cameras as well. They did have rise and fall, and many had shift. I have never seen one, but I was told there were some that had tilt as well. There were also some that had interchangeable lenses. But I think those lenses were only equivalent to about a 35mm and 70mm lens. Still, more flexibility.

Probably just as good were aux lenses that could be pushed onto the lens barrel, or used inside Series holders, probably Series V and VI. That would also allow you to use various filters.

One last thing, look up and keep with that kit, bellows compensation for closeup work, if as it appears, the bed will move forward for closeups.

So versatile and fun those 6x9 and 9x12 folding cameras.

Old 11-08-2016   #20
MikeMGB

Quote:
While working on that, it is worth while to test some other things as well. You should check to ensure the focus is good for the scale on the bed. Sometimes they are missing and are replaced with one from another camera, before being sold. It is easy enough to test since you already have a ground glass. And you can if necessary, make another one that is correct, or simply replace what is there. It all depends on the type used.

Also check the folding reflective viewfinder on the front standard, to ensure it is accurate or reasonably so. Or can it be corrected or just compensated for. You will want to know that unless you intend to use the ground glass and tripod all the time. Being this is RFF, I don't need to tell you to do the same with your RF.

These cameras made good press cameras as well. They did have rise and fall, and many had shift. I have never seen one, but I was told there were some that had tilt as well. There were also some that had interchangeable lenses. But I think those lenses were only equivalent to about a 35mm and 70mm lens. Still, more flexibility.

Probably just as good were aux lenses that could be pushed onto the lens barrel, or used inside Series holders, probably Series V and VI. That would also allow you to use various filters.

One last thing, look up and keep with that kit, bellows compensation for closeup work, if as it appears, the bed will move forward for closeups.

So versatile and fun those 6x9 and 9x12 folding cameras.
The focus scale is accurate, I have checked that, so too is the rangefinder. I have cleaned the reflective viewfinder up so it is usable, I haven't checked it for accuracy yet. I will probably be using the ground glass screen more than anything as this camera will be used for city and architectural photography more than anything and I'll be using the shift a lot.

The bellows does extend forwards for close-up, a quick Google seems to indicate a Calumet Exposure Calculator would be handy.

Old 11-09-2016   #21
oftheherd

Sounds like you are progressing nicely. Looking forward to some of your results.

Old 11-25-2016   #22
oftheherd

MikeMGB - any new photos yet?

Old 11-25-2016   #23
MikeMGB

Quote:
MikeMGB - any new photos yet?
Not yet, I'm going to try and get out with it this weekend.

Old 11-25-2016   #24
oftheherd

I hope you enjoy the experience of the 9x12.

Looking forward to your photos.

Old 11-29-2016   #25
oftheherd

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the experience of the 9x12.

Looking forward to your photos.
I was just looking to see if any photos had appeared yet. I can't believe I said 9x12 instead of 6x9. Ah, well, I guess I need to get out one of my 6x9s and do some shooting.

Old 11-29-2016   #26
MikeMGB

Quote:
I was just looking to see if any photos had appeared yet. I can't believe I said 9x12 instead of 6x9. Ah, well, I guess I need to get out one of my 6x9s and do some shooting.
Yeah, sorry, my wife and I had both planned on going out to shoot on Sunday but the weather was dull and she needed sun for what she wanted.

Hopefully soon.

Old 11-29-2016   #27
oftheherd

Hopefully so for sure. I don't get to photograph as much as I want either. But the more I post here the more I want to get my 6x9 and 9x12 cameras out and use them. The good thing is once you have the cameras and film, it is indeed just a thing of making time when both of you can get out together and do things as you want.

You are just lucky you and your wife apparently like doing photography and/or other things together. My wife and I used to do more. We still like to spend time together. But her fibromyalgia makes it hard for her to get out or enjoy if she does.

Old 12-09-2016   #28
MikeMGB

Quote:
I just signed up for a photographers night at our local Botanical Garden. It is lit for Christmas and on Tuesday 13th photographers get 90 minutes before the place opens to the public. I'll be using the Ihagee with Portra, and Leica digital.

You may have to wait a couple of weeks for photos though, I'm pretty sure Santa is bringing me a C41 kit so I won't be having anything processed immediately.