Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

What is this?
Old 12-07-2016   #1
Alfonso B

What is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM2-...0AAOSwj85YO2u3

Cool conversion to panoramic. Does it actually function and is it limited to one focal length as it looks like there's a fixed ratio, rotation vs. film transport? Is there an mechanical egg timer or similar in the baseplate? Slit doesn't seem to be adjustable so aperture is likely only way to change exposure?

Old 12-07-2016   #2
tocalosh

It looks like some kind of seitz roundshot copy. Probably 1 of 1 made.

Old 12-07-2016   #3
tocalosh

Just noticed the seller also has an om 24mm shift lens for sale. The camera is probably geared to that focal length.

Old 12-07-2016   #4
Chubberino

http://somakray.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...-camera-i.html

Old 12-07-2016   #5
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
Thanks for the nice link. Jim Lipari helped me when I first started using Cirkut Cameras, which ended up being how I made a living in photography. Cirkut shooters were mostly a very secretive bunch since they had a unique niche and didn't want competition.

Jim was quite an experimenter and made a lot of panoramic cameras. I seem to recall some late ones his grandson showed me that were not based on existing bodies. He was best known for his electric motor conversions of the old wind up Cirkut Cameras, and for calculating and machining pinion gears for them.

This would be fun to play with if you could make it work since 35mm film is cheap and scanning makes it simpler than in the old days. The 10" film for my old Cirkut Cameras is kind of expensive and inconvenient these days.

Old 12-07-2016   #6
Alfonso B

Compared to the one in the blog, this seems to be missing the motor assembly. A shift lens could indeed be essential if shooting between tall buildings or from a mountain peak. Going to a non-rectilinear projection would cause blur as the slot can't be infinitely narrow.

If I was to build one, I'd control it with arduino and use 2 motors to get adjustable sync. Maybe I will..

Old 12-07-2016   #7
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso B View Post
Compared to the one in the blog, this seems to be missing the motor assembly. A shift lens could indeed be essential if shooting between tall buildings or from a mountain peak. Going to a non-rectilinear projection would cause blur as the slot can't be infinitely narrow.

If I was to build one, I'd control it with arduino and use 2 motors to get adjustable sync. Maybe I will..
If you do please show us.