Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Old 04-28-2009   #41
Sonnar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Since the original Ernostar was an 80/1.8 as well, I am assumining the Komura 80/1.8 to be of the same design.
Me too. Also for the 100/1.8 vs. 105/2. They should have the same basic design. In the late 60's -early 70's even Zeiss Oberkochen launched a lot of Ernostar designs for Contarex, Rollei QBM and later Contax-Yashica mount. And even patented them. Why should they had pay the patent fees when it wasn't pretty hot stuff?

Old 04-28-2009   #42
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

I got two Komura 200mm lenses: the 4.5 in RF coupled mount, and 3.5 in Visoflex mount. They are OK for their age, but not stellar performers. The 3.5 is mushy in corners at all apertures, the LTM one is quite low in contrast wide open.

My Flickr

Old 05-03-2009   #43
tooffy

Two test shots with Komura80mmf1.8 LTM both taken @f1.8 with M8

"Leicaddiction is a terrible affliction" Lars Bergquist

Last edited by tooffy : 05-03-2009 at 20:10.

Old 05-03-2009   #44
raid
Dad Photographer

I bought today a Komura 105mm 3.5 LTM.

Who has any information on such a lens? Roland said that it is a triplet. It may be my only tele with a triplet design.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Komura 28/3.5 LTM
Old 05-04-2009   #45
jmilkins
Digited User

Komura 28/3.5 LTM

Here's a shot from my Komura 28mmm 3.5. Came with the case, hood and finder which make a great little package. The finder is neat - you can dial in parallax correction. Vignettes noticably even at 5.6 which I think this is. I don't mind.

It is a physically wide lens - won't fit with adaptor on the Hexar RF as the frame selector gets fouled. Fine on the Canon P.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Last edited by jmilkins : 05-04-2009 at 03:18.

Old 11-03-2009   #46
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Old thread, time to revive since something new is to be reported.

I purchased this from www.leicashop.com yesterday evening:

It's a Sankyo Kohki Komura 80mm f3.5 lens. Four-digit serial number, very early production. Could not find a thing on the internet about it. And I kinda like that, imagine if it turns out to be a very good lens!

Glass is said to be mint, minimal wear of use on the lens. No viewfinder, nothing known on lens caps.

I plan to use the lens on my Leica M3 on a regular basis, with Fomapan 100 Classic and Rodinal it might provide a very nice portrait rig.

Anyone who can tell me something about this lens? Any data on it would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, anyone got an original Leitz 90mm adapter for sale? Or possible other accessories to this lens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Komura 80mm f35 LTM.jpg (16.2 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by johannielscom : 11-03-2009 at 06:20. Reason: typo, omission

Old 11-03-2009   #47
dberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE-RF View Post
Old thread, time to revive since something new is to be reported.

I purchased this from www.leicashop.com yesterday evening:
It's a Sankyo Kohki Komura 80mm f3.5 lens. Four-digit serial number, very early production. Could not find a thing on the internet about it. And I kinda like that, imagine if it turns out to be a very good lens!

Glass is said to be mint, minimal wear of use on the lens. No viewfinder, nothing known on lens caps.

I plan to use the lens on my Leica M3 on a regular basis, with Fomapan 100 Classic and Rodinal it might provide a very nice portrait rig.

Anyone who can tell me something about this lens? Any data on it would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, anyone got an original Leitz 90mm adapter for sale? Or possible other accessories to this lens?
Over the years, I have acquired 2 versions of this lens: one all black and the other a mixed chrome/black art deco job (with alternating chrome and black wide knurling on the barrel). They are identical otherwize, with a simple triplet design. It is a pretty nice lens, especially stopped down to >= 5.6. It makes for an ideal small and lightweight kit in plenty-of-light situations. Take it to the park.

Your lens differs from mine in 3 ways, however.

1. I have never seen an all chrome version of the Komura 85/3.5. In fact, I have only seen 1 all chrome Komura lens in LTM (135mm f3.5).

2. The aperture ring on my copies of this lens is very forward, nearer the filter ring, with the aperture markings even more forward.

3. The mount on your lens looks funny. My 2 versions of this lens are more proportional overall, with the mount section no wider than the barrel. On yours, the mount section looks bigger, almost like an afterthought. Could it be a remount (Komura made lenses in M42 and Exacta mounts) or an early version? Is the lens rangefinder-coupled?

Anyway, enjoy it.

Cheers,
David

Old 11-03-2009   #48
dberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE-RF View Post
David,

for a moment you had me startled, but yes, it is RF coupled!

The original ad still is in Googles' cache here

The lenses you describe I was able to find on the net, seems the optical design on this one is no different, but it does have a completely different barrel and mount!

Weird, huh? Well, maybe someone will find this thread in due time and enlighten me!?
Coupled -- that is good.

Ahhh - the original ad you linked provides some clues. The lens is listed as Sankyo Optical and it has a 4-digit serial number. I have quite a few Komura lenses in LTM (> 15) and all of them are marked "Sankyo Kōki" (or "Kohki") and have 6- or 7-digit serial numbers…except one. My all chrome Komura 135mm f3.5 LTM lens is marked "Sankyo Optical" and has a 4-digit serial number.

So, perhaps Sankyo's all chrome Komura LTM lenses were from the same early period, and afterward they changed to lighter aluminum barrels. This chrome period also probably did not last too long, since now I have only seen 2.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by dberger : 11-04-2009 at 12:21.

Old 11-09-2009   #49
rlouzan

Hi,

Any idea what size UV filter/lens hood fits a 35mm f3.5 W Acall Kyoei?

Thanks,
RLouzan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
WTB: 35mm f3.5 W Komura, W Acall Kyoei, Telesar or Accura ltm lens.
Please send PM with details.

Last edited by rlouzan : 11-09-2009 at 09:44.

Old 11-09-2009   #50
dberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouzan View Post
Hi,

Any idea what size UV filter/lens hood fits a 35mm f3.5 W Acall Kyoei?

Thanks,
RLouzan

The filter diameter is 34mm, so 34mm screw-in filters and hood will work. You can also use 36mm clamp-on accessories, which would allow use of series filters.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by dberger : 11-14-2009 at 20:06.

Old 11-09-2009   #51
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberger View Post
Over the years, I have acquired 2 versions of this lens: one all black and the other a mixed chrome/black art deco job (with alternating chrome and black wide knurling on the barrel). They are identical otherwize, with a simple triplet design. It is a pretty nice lens, especially stopped down to >= 5.6. It makes for an ideal small and lightweight kit in plenty-of-light situations. Take it to the park.

Your lens differs from mine in 3 ways, however.

1. I have never seen an all chrome version of the Komura 85/3.5. In fact, I have only seen 1 all chrome Komura lens in LTM (135mm f3.5).

2. The aperture ring on my copies of this lens is very forward, nearer the filter ring, with the aperture markings even more forward.

3. The mount on your lens looks funny. My 2 versions of this lens are more proportional overall, with the mount section no wider than the barrel. On yours, the mount section looks bigger, almost like an afterthought. Could it be a remount (Komura made lenses in M42 and Exacta mounts) or an early version? Is the lens rangefinder-coupled?

Anyway, enjoy it.

Cheers,

David
My Komura 105mm 3.5 LTM is RF and is in black. Is the 85mm better/worse/rarer than the 105mm 3.5?

Old 11-09-2009   #52
dberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
My Komura 105mm 3.5 LTM is RF and is in black. Is the 85mm better/worse/rarer than the 105mm 3.5?
Raid,

Regarding the quality of their images, I would say they are about the same: very nice, especially when stopped down >= f5.6. The 90mm Tele-Elmarit and M-Rokkor are clearly better lenses than the Komura 80/3.5 and just as small, so I grab those much more often. The Color-Heliar 75mm is also certainly better than the Komura, but I have not used that lens too much. Similarly, the Canon 100/3.5 easily surpasses the 105/3.5 Komura in both image-making and size/weight.

Having written all that, the slow Komuras are worth the effort in finding, and they are definitely worth taking out on a nice sunny day.

Regarding rarity: Based on my experience, the Komura 80/3.5 is much (MUCH) harder to find than the 105/3.5, especially at a reasonable price. I do not know what counts for its relative rarity, but I would guess that Sankyo simply made many fewer of them.

Cheers and good hunting,

David

Old 11-09-2009   #53
Al Kaplan

Komura was always considered a third tier lens maker until Bronica switched from Nikon lenses to Komura.

My Gallery

Old 11-11-2009   #54
rlouzan

Hi,

Any third party 34mm screw in lens hoods?
Rats, someone just outbid me on a nice looking 35mm f3.5 LTM Komura on Evilbay.
If you have one and don't use it, I'll give it a good home if the price is right!

Reards,
RLouzan

WTB: 35mm f3.5 W Komura, W Acall Kyoei, Telesar or Accura ltm lens.
Please send PM with details.

Komura 36/1.8 LTM
Old 11-14-2009   #55
je2a3
je

Komura 36/1.8 LTM

Nice thread, finally I found some relevant information on Komura lenses, thanks!

A few years ago I picked up this obscure 36/1.8 lens at a flea market. I'm not an expert and just shoot for fun but I like it very much and the fastest WA lens I own in LTM.

Here's a shot wide open using a Bessa-R:

Old 11-14-2009   #56
Al Kaplan

Nice! You lucky guy!

My Gallery

Old 11-15-2009   #57
David Murphy

I saw some scans of Komura catalogs on the Internet somewhere in the last year or two -- I'll try to find them again.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 11-15-2009   #58
David Murphy

Here's the link, or at least one of them - enjoy!:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...EoPOswP7y-iHCw

(scroll down a bit to see the Komura catalog page image and click it)
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Last edited by David Murphy : 11-15-2009 at 02:08.

Old 12-25-2009   #59
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberger View Post
Raid,

Regarding the quality of their images, I would say they are about the same: very nice, especially when stopped down >= f5.6. The 90mm Tele-Elmarit and M-Rokkor are clearly better lenses than the Komura 80/3.5 and just as small, so I grab those much more often. The Color-Heliar 75mm is also certainly better than the Komura, but I have not used that lens too much. Similarly, the Canon 100/3.5 easily surpasses the 105/3.5 Komura in both image-making and size/weight.

Having written all that, the slow Komuras are worth the effort in finding, and they are definitely worth taking out on a nice sunny day.

Regarding rarity: Based on my experience, the Komura 80/3.5 is much (MUCH) harder to find than the 105/3.5, especially at a reasonable price. I do not know what counts for its relative rarity, but I would guess that Sankyo simply made many fewer of them.

Cheers and good hunting,

David

Hi David,
I agree with you on your assessment. I have better lenses, but I like my two Komura lenses (35mm and 105mm). Using some Fuji Reala for color or some XP2 for B&W, the Komura lenses can give very nice looking results.

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2009   #60
Sonnar2

That 58mm filter size is obviously wrong as the lens on Joseph's Leica II shows.

Old 12-25-2009   #61
Bill58
Native Texan

If I were you, I'd ask Jiri Ecer in Japan to look for a 36/1.8 for you. He's a very good guy and combs the camera shops for old stuff like that and sells mainly on ebay, but also direct too. You can reach him at jiri.e.jp at gmail dot com. He knows what stuff is worth, so don't think you can get a steal. He prices stuff fairly, so pay what he's asking or leave it alone.

BTW-my low light 35 lens is a Nikkor 35/f 1.4 AI-s mounted on an F2as. For some strange reason, I got it here for about 50% of the US price in Ex. condition.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2009   #62
BillBingham2

That 36/1.8 is a sweat looking lens on that back body.

Komura made some nice bright line finders too.

B2 (;->

Old 12-25-2009   #63
je2a3
je

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnar2 View Post
That 58mm filter size is obviously wrong as the lens on Joseph's Leica II shows.
Filter size:

Heavystar WA hood

Frank, kindly check your email when you find time, thanks.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Komura 80mm f1.8
Old 02-15-2010   #64
tooffy

Komura 80mm f1.8

Sharing a shot taken with the Komura 80mm f1.8 LTM on M8:

"Leicaddiction is a terrible affliction" Lars Bergquist

Old 03-26-2010   #65
ferider

Pan F, 80/1.8 LTM filter size if 48mm, standard pitch filters fit on mine. Best,

Roland.

Old 03-31-2010   #66
dberger

Any 48mm screw-in or 50mm clamp-on for 85mm lenses will work. I've used a bunch, including hoods for the RF Nikkor 85mm f2 (chrome screw-in and black snap-in) and hoods for Canon 85mm f1.9/2 (T-50 series clamp-on and 48mm series screw-in). Mostly I use on old Vivitar screw-in, which is about the same size as the Canon T-50 hood. Even a Canon S-50 hood (for the 50mm f1.4) would be better than nothing. An old Canon should be easy to find on ebay, and shouldn't cost too much.

And, before your ask: nope, never seen any vignetting using a hood made for an 85mm lens on the Komura 80mm f1.8.

Ciao,

David

Old 04-01-2010   #67
rlouzan

Pan F,

Hoya 48mm lens hood

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot.../product/21304

(No connection to seller)

Regards,
RLouzan

Last edited by rlouzan : 04-01-2010 at 04:57.

Komura LTM m39 Lenses
Old 02-27-2014   #68
Eastwestphoto

Komura LTM m39 Lenses

I have two Komura m39 or L39 or LTM lenses I have Tested on my New Sony A7r full frame DSLM camera. The first was the small lightweight 105mm F:3.5, test results show that the image quality falls apart at the extreme end of the magnification cycle on the A7r view playback mode. I suspect that optically this is NOT the superior version of this lens. I was careful to focus wide open , hold the helicoil from slipping and close down.
Next I tested the Komura 135mm F:2.8 lens against my Leitz Leica M mount 135mm F:4 Elmar lens. Both lenses were tested with there shades on. The leica Elmar was very good indeed at F:8, the helicoil does not slip when f:stop is closed down. Next the Komura F:2.8, which is bigger, but not much heavier. Focused at F:2.8 and closed down, it was fabulous! Contrast, sharpness and Bokeh was sweet! So I put the Elmar back in the display case and the Komura in the camera bag. The image quality at Full magnification on the back screen of the A7r held up all the way! Wow what a sharp lens and a full stop faster than the elmar F:4. I realize that Leitz also made a F:2.8 in L/M mount, but I don't have one and its expensive these days, probably for good reasons.
Now my camera bag has 4 manual legacy lenses in it! The 21mm F:4 voigtlander Cosina LTM, chrome. The lenses has a center nodal point rear element that is too close to the chip and color fringes the edges of the FF in purplish color casting on a Sony A7r. To color correct, I used a old science called filtration. A 85c Leitz A filter screws in perfectly inside the shade and removed 90% of that purplish color cast. I love the lens, its lightweight, small and sharp! Next the leitz Leica L/M mt. 40mm F:2 CL Summicron. What a fabulous lens, pooh-pooh incorrectly by the purists in 1980, who claimed correctly that it doesn't focus wide open correctly because the rangefinder base dimensions were not the same! True but who cares! On a DSLM Sony A7r with TTL focus at 7x, this is a meaningless science. The Summicron CL 40mm F:2 German Leitz made lens is exceptional in light weight, small size and outstanding performance! Next the small Elmar 90mm F:4 chrome LTM small lens. tested at its sweet spot of F:8 its a killer and a keeper. Naturally I use adapters for all these lenses. last but hardly least is the exceptional Bokeh quality of the Komura 135mm F:2.8. Well thats it, I don't have any Sony FE lenses yet, I think i get the kit lens 28~70mm FE for video work, thats all.
I am a legacy lens tester and user. I wrote my first post back on eBay in 2009 about the Lumix G-1 with my fabled 40mm Leitz CL F:2, on m4/3 rd's. Then it was a 2x crop so it was actually 80mm F:2, it was great but not normal. So I settled for fast m25 or C-mount lenses, tested and wrote about them too many buyers on eBay. I sold a ton of C-mount and small SLR lenses throughout the years since always waiting fot the Full frame DSLM camera. I have a Nex 7 also with a 16mm, 50mm and Zoom. I tried the Nex series lenses on the A7r, but even in the no crop mode, they didnt cover the FF and after cropping away the edges and circle of confusion you went from FF 36 Meg to 24 Meg file size, so why bother!
Unless you have a huge wallet for FE series Zeiss lenses from Sony, I suggest you experiment with legacy lenses . I consider size to be important; along with sharpness, contrast, flare and Bokeh. SLR lenses tend to have longer back focus to chip plane and bigger adapters to compensate. C-mt is a circle of confusion that's a waste of time on the A7r. Only the rangefinder lens passes the criteria, I want! One surprise was the Olympus Pen F 38mm F:2.8 as it covered the Sony A7r full frame with edge resolution and light falloff, still it was so small and very sharp for most of the image. In fact it was cool, as it makes a kind of old fashion border to the photos which keeps your eye in the photo. The faster Oly Pen F lenses are too big in weight and size, go for the smaller slower lens.
Well thats it for now, its been fun writing to you'all, There was a sleeper lens made by Zeiss for the Exakta back in closing days of WW2 known as the light weight, small tiny alloy 5cm Tessar F:2.8. On a exakta adapter EX>Nex its not too big and gives exceptional results if you find the coated version, which may be Post war? Its hard to find, but usually cheaper as its a sleeper lens, just a little trade secret on a modern FF DSLM camera. Regards, [email protected]

komura 28mm 3.5
Old 10-27-2015   #69
darya151

komura 28mm 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Since my last post on this thread I have bought a W-Komura 28mm 3.5 from an Italian seller through evilbay and will post pictures next week, when returning home from a trip in the Czech Republic.

It is a great little lens, too bad the design is so very different from the 35mm 3.5 Kyoei I already owned...!
How do you like this lens? I saw some really lovely photographs with this lens on line, like a water color painting.
Thanks,
Darya

Old 11-05-2016   #70
nhchen
Nathan

I somehow managed to end up with a lot of these Komura lenses. The strange thing is that none of them are identical to each other!

105mm:

Komura 105mm rangefinder lenses by Nathan Chen, on Flickr

135mm f3.5:
I think for the 135mm f3.5 lens they even changed the formula of it half way through.

Komura 135mm rangefinder lenses by Nathan Chen, on Flickr

135mm f2.8

Komura 135mm f2.8 LTM by Nathan Chen, on Flickr

nathan

Old 01-17-2017   #71
mcf

An old thread, I know. But I picked up a Komura 28mm f3.5 for a good price recently (from a well known Leica shop in London). I have to say, I'm very very pleased with it (I wasn't expecting too much for my £175). It came with the viewfinder and case.

The lens is well built. The image quality is splendid imo. Really sharp. Yes, it vignettes like a squinting blindman, but I like it. I've only shot in b&w so far. Here's the Flickr group I set up for it (with 1 member!): https://flic.kr/g/sWvzc