Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Uneven Spacing S3
Old 10-25-2016   #1
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,493
Uneven Spacing S3

Just noticed this tonight while scanning some S3 negs the spacing at the top and bottom is quite uneven meaning that my scanner crops a little bit off, you wouldn't notice this if you were wet printing. I wonder if this is quite common or is it the way my camera holds the film or the way I load it.
16fbpicUnevenS3_01 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #2
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,957
Has this happened with all your rolls of film through your S3, or just this one?
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #3
BillBingham2
Registered User
 
BillBingham2's Avatar
 
BillBingham2 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Posts: 5,262
Mid like to see another three examples. Not sure it's a LARGE issue, but would like to see more.

B2 (;->
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #4
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Has this happened with all your rolls of film through your S3, or just this one?
Looking back seems its always like this, actually looking at other negs from other cameras I've noticed it. If you place a piece of film between the film guide there is actually quite a bit of play if you know what I mean, the same with Nikon Fs I wonder if its just the design as the camera base is holding the film as well compared to a film back with a hinge.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #5
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 4,787
Looks pretty minor to me, and way better than every Rollei 35 and some Leicas I've owned. Next time after you've loaded a roll of film, try tensioning the film by rewinding it a bit to take up the slack. I've generally found frame spacing with vintage Nikon RF and SLR bodies to be much more consistent than other cameras of the same vintage.
__________________
flickr
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2016   #6
maddoc
... likes film.
 
maddoc's Avatar
 
maddoc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 三鷹市
Age: 51
Posts: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Looks pretty minor to me, and way better than every Rollei 35 and some Leicas I've owned. Next time after you've loaded a roll of film, try tensioning the film by rewinding it a bit to take up the slack. I've generally found frame spacing with vintage Nikon RF and SLR bodies to be much more consistent than other cameras of the same vintage.
I think the OP was thinking about the uneven space between top and bottom of the frame and sprocket holes, not the space between the frames.

I have never happen this with any camera except my IIIb when using standard film canister and no spacer. When loading FILCA cassettes also in case of my IIIb the frames are exactly centered in the middle of the film stripe.
__________________
- Gabor

flickr
pBase
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2016   #7
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I think the OP was thinking about the uneven space between top and bottom of the frame and sprocket holes, not the space between the frames.
Ah yes. my bad. Never seen that with any vintage Nikon camera I've used.

To the OP: is the spacing consistent from start to end of the roll?

Note to self: don't skim read and reply to threads from phone...
__________________
flickr
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2016   #8
nukecoke
⚛Yashica
 
nukecoke's Avatar
 
nukecoke is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sweden/China
Posts: 589
I've only noticed this issue on one of my Zorki-1 among various cameras. I think it was caused by the removable take spool that doesn't stay on the perfect place to make the spacing even, or it could be that I didn't pinch the film lead 100% straight when loading the film. But then I could notice it because the unevenness has a sloping, worse at the start of the roll, and almost gone near the end of the roll...Not sure if my info. can help.
__________________
tumblr

flickr

About Film Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2016   #9
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,957
Comparing this to my Nikon Fs, which load in the same way (the back comes off and it is pretty much the same camera mechanically), the only suggestion I can make is when you initially load it (before the first wind) try to pull the film down on the feeding sprocket so that it may give it a little more space.
But in all honesty, the gap is even, the frame spacing between shots looks perfect, so I'm not sure I'd mess with the camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016   #10
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Just noticed this tonight while scanning some S3 negs the spacing at the top and bottom is quite uneven meaning that my scanner crops a little bit off, you wouldn't notice this if you were wet printing. I wonder if this is quite common or is it the way my camera holds the film or the way I load it.
Just checked my negs shot with a 1958 Nikon S3 and they're absolutely identical to yours with a very large image not being 100% centered between the upper and lower film sprocket holes strips.

Never caused me any problem either for scanning (with a Nikon film scanner scanning a bit more than the 24x36 frame because I've filed down the SA-21 film gate) or for wet printing (the same, I've filed down the enlarger film carrier gate because I'm a "natural black frame telling you haven't cropped" nut).
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2016   #11
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Just checked my negs shot with a 1958 Nikon S3 and they're absolutely identical to yours with a very large image not being 100% centered between the upper and lower film sprocket holes strips.

Never caused me any problem either for scanning (with a Nikon film scanner scanning a bit more than the 24x36 frame because I've filed down the SA-21 film gate) or for wet printing (the same, I've filed down the enlarger film carrier gate because I'm a "natural black frame telling you haven't cropped" nut).
It was actually when using sa21 i noticed it I have a spare sa21 so I may take a file to it!
cheers
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2016   #12
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Just checked my negs shot with a 1958 Nikon S3 and they're absolutely identical to yours with a very large image not being 100% centered between the upper and lower film sprocket holes strips.

Never caused me any problem either for scanning (with a Nikon film scanner scanning a bit more than the 24x36 frame because I've filed down the SA-21 film gate) or for wet printing (the same, I've filed down the enlarger film carrier gate because I'm a "natural black frame telling you haven't cropped" nut).
After a bit of work on the sa21!
filenikon_02 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:44.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.