Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

What films WORK in 1930s Voigtlander Bessa RF?
Old 10-28-2016   #1
ssakoian
Registered User
 
ssakoian is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
What films WORK in 1930s Voigtlander Bessa RF?

Hi Everyone -

here is something I found out the hard way. My vintage RF and Ektar 100 are not compatible! The numbers for the film do not line up with the windows on the back of the camera - the number on the film is closer to the top of the camera, and above the window. I found this out after I had no numbers showing in the left hand window of the camera, and ran the whole roll of Ektar through it.

I have found Portra 400 worked nicely in it.

What have YOU found that works and does not work? I sure hate wasting film!
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #2
citizen99
Registered User
 
citizen99's Avatar
 
citizen99 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 75
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssakoian View Post
Hi Everyone -

here is something I found out the hard way. My vintage RF and Ektar 100 are not compatible! The numbers for the film do not line up with the windows on the back of the camera - the number on the film is closer to the top of the camera, and above the window. I found this out after I had no numbers showing in the left hand window of the camera, and ran the whole roll of Ektar through it.

I have found Portra 400 worked nicely in it.

What have YOU found that works and does not work? I sure hate wasting film!
This picture was taken on Ektar 100
Frampton Country Fair 2012 by John Hancock, on Flickr
by this camera
Voigtlander Bessa Rangefinder with chrome trim by John Hancock, on Flickr

Is the position of the red windows different on yours ?
__________________
https:[email protected]/albums
http:[email protected]/sets//
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #3
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn
 
JPD's Avatar
 
JPD is offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Sweden
Age: 46
Posts: 386
I got this reply from Kodak three weeks ago:

"The 645 and 6x6 tracks are aligned to the ISO standard. They should be visible in any camera window.

We are in the process of printing backing paper with an added frame number track for Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 cameras
".
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #4
JPD
J. Patric DahlÚn
 
JPD's Avatar
 
JPD is offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Sweden
Age: 46
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen99 View Post
This picture was taken on Ektar 100
Your rolls are probably from before Kodak changed the backing paper (or at least the printing on it).
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #5
citizen99
Registered User
 
citizen99's Avatar
 
citizen99 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 75
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I got this reply from Kodak three weeks ago:

"The 645 and 6x6 tracks are aligned to the ISO standard. They should be visible in any camera window.

We are in the process of printing backing paper with an added frame number track for Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 cameras
".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Your rolls are probably from before Kodak changed the backing paper (or at least the printing on it).
Ah, thank you, that makes sense. Better check my next purchase of Ektar 100 in that camera !
__________________
https:[email protected]/albums
http:[email protected]/sets//
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #6
ssakoian
Registered User
 
ssakoian is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen99 View Post
Ah, thank you, that makes sense. Better check my next purchase of Ektar 100 in that camera !
My camera's windows do look like the back of yours, but I couldn't see any numbers through the windows, so it does seem as if it is true that Kodak changed the printing. My RF is ca. 1935. This makes me wonder if there will be problems with Ektar for my other medium format film cameras. What a waste of money.

On an upnote, I put in a roll of Fuji Pro 400H and the numbers do align with the red windows.

What other films have you used in the RF?
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #7
citizen99
Registered User
 
citizen99's Avatar
 
citizen99 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 75
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssakoian View Post
My camera's windows do look like the back of yours, but I couldn't see any numbers through the windows, so it does seem as if it is true that Kodak changed the printing. My RF is ca. 1935. This makes me wonder if there will be problems with Ektar for my other medium format film cameras. What a waste of money.

On an upnote, I put in a roll of Fuji Pro 400H and the numbers do align with the red windows.

What other films have you used in the RF?
I also used Portra 400 as far back as 2010 and 2012, and Portra 160 as recently as 2015. All were in-date stock, but obviously manufactured a significant time before use.

I've also found this earlier thread
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=156146
And
https://www.flickr.com/groups/673774...7673126698125/
__________________
https:[email protected]/albums
http:[email protected]/sets//
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #8
sepiareverb
genius and moron
 
sepiareverb's Avatar
 
sepiareverb is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Johnsbury VT
Posts: 7,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssakoian View Post
...This makes me wonder if there will be problems with Ektar for my other medium format film cameras. What a waste of money...
You could likely sell the Ektar quickly here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016   #10
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots
 
johnnyrod is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Doncaster, UK
Posts: 327
I have just sent a Bessa 6x9 VF camera back to a friend after cleaning it up, and he found the same thing, number don't line up - they do a bit if you wind the roll to the end then wind it backwards.
__________________
How does this thing work?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 18:24.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.