Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Lighthouse Point - shooting with the Leica SL
Old 10-24-2016   #1
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,506
Lighthouse Point - shooting with the Leica SL

I took a nice long drive on Sunday morning, getting to know my 'new' car after getting it all set up and ready for a road trip. I stopped in Santa Cruz for breakfast and took a walk around Lighthouse Point on West Cliff Drive where I took these photos.











All: Leica SL + Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH OIS
All ISO 50 @ f/8

It's a matter of accommodation, but the more I use the SL24-90mm lens, the more I have to respect its performance and versatility, and the less its size and weight bother me. I've never been much of a zoom user, but I could see a system with the SL, the 24-90, the 90-280, and the upcoming wide zoom as a complete and excellent performing rig. :-)

enjoy!
G
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 6,978
Godfrey,

At PhotoPlusExpo Leica had a pre-production AF 50 Lux that I mounted on my SL. The shots when downloaded and displayed on my EIZO looked amazing.

With an 82mm filter size and a lens barrel, perhaps only a centimeter shorter, it was a very big lens especially for a 50, but a lot lighter than your 24-90.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
At PhotoPlusExpo Leica had a pre-production AF 50 Lux that I mounted on my SL. The shots when downloaded and displayed on my EIZO looked amazing.

With an 82mm filter size and a lens barrel, perhaps only a centimeter shorter, it was a very big lens especially for a 50, but a lot lighter than your 24-90.
It should be wonderful!

But for that, I have the Summilux-R 50mm and Summicron-R 50mm. The 'Cron in particular is pretty small and light, and its performance even wide open is breathtakingly good. Not bad for a 1964 Leica lens that cost me, altogether with a decent, clean, working Leicaflex SL body, about $200. :-)

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #4
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 6,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
It should be wonderful!

But for that, I have the Summilux-R 50mm and Summicron-R 50mm. The 'Cron in particular is pretty small and light, and its performance even wide open is breathtakingly good. Not bad for a 1964 Leica lens that cost me, altogether with a decent, clean, working Leicaflex SL body, about $200. :-)

G
Godfrey,

Every small format lens I own renders wonderfully on the SL: M; R; LTM; and Nikon SLR. Particularly great is the Noct-Nikkor as a portrait lens shot wide open. It seems F1.2 combined with 8 mm more focal length adds up to be a lot. Also the chrome 65 F3.5 Visoflex lens has a large format like rendering stacking triple Leica adapters.

So easy to nail the focus...

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #5
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,301
That new Lux 50 for the SL has crazy barrel distortion. This lens is so disappointing to me in so many ways. It seems that with the SL series Leica is moving away from making perfect, small lenses in Germany, to large ones made in Japan that need software to correct them. But the prices do not reflect this.

http://www.jupitersnake.com/review/5...ew-first-look/

and mentions of it in this thread, starting about 1/3 way down
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/1413
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #6
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 6,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
That new Lux 50 for the SL has crazy barrel distortion. This lens is so disappointing to me in so many ways. It seems that with the SL series Leica is moving away from making perfect, small lenses in Germany, to large ones made in Japan that need software to correct them. But the prices do not reflect this.

http://www.jupitersnake.com/review/5...ew-first-look/

and mentions of it in this thread, starting about 1/3 way down
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/1413
Huss,

Thanks for the links.

I see the barrel distortion in the examples given and it seems to be a lot, but I assume like the Leica "Q" it likely will get profiled out. This definitely is a break from the old "M" and "R" lenses that are beloved.

Funny thing though is that the shots I took only a few days ago with my SL an the pre-production lens my examples of F1.4 of head and shoulder shots look like a different camera was used. Remarkably different. I have firmware 2.1 (latest). I wonder if an older version firmware is the reason for the difference?

The AF 50 Lux did do some hunting and was slow. I recognized that it was not as good as the 24-90's I have tried. This is still an early review.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,506
Making definitive judgements on lenses when looking at images that are from pre-production examples is not reasonable. Treating every comment about lenses as if it were gospel truth is similarly unreasonable.

Wait for production units and firmware to surface. Remember, Leica pushed back the delivery date on this lens ... and likely for good reason. They're not done with it yet.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #8
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,301
It is still strange to allow out into the wild lenses that perform so poorly, pre-production or not.

Back on topic, Godfrey, I really like your B&W shot of the trees.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
...
Back on topic, Godfrey, I really like your B&W shot of the trees.
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #10
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 68
Posts: 4,408
Great shots Godfrey, I specially like that waves with the surfers
robert
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life


my quiet photographer's blog


My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #11
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 6,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Making definitive judgements on lenses when looking at images that are from pre-production examples is not reasonable. Treating every comment about lenses as if it were gospel truth is similarly unreasonable.

Wait for production units and firmware to surface. Remember, Leica pushed back the delivery date on this lens ... and likely for good reason. They're not done with it yet.

G
Godfrey,

I have been waiting a long time for this lens. It seemed very apparent to me that the pre-production lens I handled at PhotoPlusExpo rendered very differently than the examples shown in Huss' link. Granted my shots were all for seeing the rendering shot wide open and close (head and shoulder shots). I was pleased, and I am encouraged that this will be a great lens even by this brief testing.

Over 4 years ago I waited 5 months for my Monochrom delivery. Well worth the wait.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2016   #12
leica M2 fan
Registered User
 
leica M2 fan's Avatar
 
leica M2 fan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NorCal
Age: 80
Posts: 17,541
Fine shots with the SL. I especially liked the surfer shots. Thanks for posting.
__________________
Good Light and Good Luck (with tip of the hat to Edward R Murrow)


TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
CrisR
Registered User
 
CrisR's Avatar
 
CrisR is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 837
Lovely captures there
__________________
Paper Hills Photography
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:27.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.