Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Polaroid & Fuji Instax

Polaroid & Fuji Instax All things Polaroid and Fuji Instax

Old 05-24-2016   #41
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I'm w/ Spanik. These frankly , apart from the B&W, look awful. And the falafal shot - that is awful too and that is meant to be the shot that is meant to demonstrate a control? It's washed out and blurry.
My Instax produces such better shots it's not even funny. And I didn't think those were particularly good!
It's interesting when a camera cannot produce technically decent results the excuse is given that it's actually artistic. It's not, and here's why. Art is not created by the tool, but by the user. Otherwise one could argue that all it takes to make an artist is to pick up one of these cameras. Because every shot will be blurry, out of focus, washed out. Which means it's art...

I am not anti Impossible project. I want them to succeed but praising it so far is like telling your kid he's done so well for his 8th place medal. I have an SX70 and a packet of Impossible Project B&W film so I am an Impossible Project customer, and I'm hoping that I can get something cool out of that. The only shots that I liked above were those taken w/ the B&W film.
So you don't like what Impossible film is doing.
Note that I don't care, it's no skin of my back, nor do I agree with your sophistic musings.

It would be nice to have a thread on this forum without the bile and innuendo for once. Just say you don't like the results and let it go.

G

Old 05-24-2016   #42
MiniMoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Just say you don't like the results and let it go.

G
That's what he just did, no?

Old 05-24-2016   #43
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoke View Post
That's what he just did, no?
No. It was unnecessary to go on about a theory of camera technology and art and all that baloney.

G

Old 05-24-2016   #44
thart2009
Tom Hart

Quote:
No. It was unnecessary to go on about a theory of camera technology and art and all that baloney.

G
From Huss' comment: "Art is not created by the tool, but by the user."

Interesting and thought provoking. What if I was into relief printing and chose woodcuts over relief etching and linocuts? Doesn't the tool effect the outcome? Same with cameras in my opinion. Impossible, pinhole, wet plate collodion, Photoshop, Leica MM.. don't those tools effect the outcome and go down a different path with the artist? I have seen some great polaroid and Impossible photos. Haven't created any yet but I keep trying. Here is my "photo" for the day.. It started out as a mistake. Is it art now? Or Art with a capital A? Or just garbage maybe?

Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned:

Lemonade
by Tom Hart, on Flickr

Old 05-24-2016   #45
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thart2009 View Post

Lemonade
by Tom Hart, on Flickr
I love that!

Best image I've seen so far from the Impossible Project.
Maybe I was wrong about them.

Old 05-24-2016   #46
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by thart2009 View Post
From Huss' comment: "Art is not created by the tool, but by the user."

Interesting and thought provoking. What if I was into relief printing and chose woodcuts over relief etching and linocuts? Doesn't the tool effect the outcome? Same with cameras in my opinion. Impossible, pinhole, wet plate collodion, Photoshop, Leica MM.. don't those tools effect the outcome and go down a different path with the artist? I have seen some great polaroid and Impossible photos. Haven't created any yet but I keep trying. Here is my "photo" for the day.. It started out as a mistake. Is it art now? Or Art with a capital A? Or just garbage maybe?

Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned:
Certainly: I have different cameras for precisely this reason.

Is it necessary to make disparaging comments about a manufacturer's products because they don't appeal to you personally? I think that's wrong, or at least narrow mindedness.

I like your art. Reminds me of some of the highly manipulated work done back in Polaroid SX-70 Time Zero film days. They produced special 'art' versions of the SX-70 film that were even more manipulable with styli after the technique became popular.

Photography is not so narrow an area of endeavor as what Huss' disparagement of The Impossible Project's films and instant film cameras implies. I think I'll charge up the 66/6 Instant Pinhole camera next ... :-)

G

Old 05-24-2016   #47
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I loaded some Impossible "Lucky Eight" 600 color version 2 into the I-1 today. No time to do much shooting; all I made with it so far are a couple of snaps of a friend recuperating at the hospital after surgery. They look good ... normal Polaroid looking prints ... but not quite as nice on the color (a touch green-blue overall with weak reds, although nice sharpness).

What really struck me, however, was how much faster the version 3 film processes. With v3, you can see the images begin to emerge in about four minutes and within an hour they're just about done. With v2, it was about thirty minutes before anything became visible at all, and several hours before they get close to their finish quality.

That's some real, solid progress on the film. I just ordered twelve new packs of color and look forward to using it.

G

Old 05-25-2016   #48
robert blu
quiet photographer

So, the question is: the tool or the user? Interesting, maybe worthwhile a thread of his own...
IMO is simply like this: if I want to make a docu-projerct showing how a certain landscape is, or how buildings are in a certain area I'll use my M7 or my FM2, or even my x1 as I did in this photo or in this other.

When the my vision is for a project with a less realistic look, more dreamy atmosphere a tool like a Polaroid camera with the Impossible film is IMO a valid choice to obtain a soft less exact imagine, like this one.

Inspired by a recent thread about wabi-sabi I'm working on a project related to this concept and the tool I selected was the SX-70 camera with an ND filter and the Black and Green Duotone film:why? because it has the uncertain, a margin of mistake in the photos it produces, like this one.

Let's revers this thought: if I use a certain tool I know what to expect from it, and it means I'm ready to accept the limitations and use them in a creative way.

It's clear the tool itself is only a tool, but the user selects the appropriate tool according to his project.

As a photographer I like to have different tool in my box and for this reason I like what the guys at Impossible are doing and try to support them, with my limited resources. I bought Impossible films from the beginning even if the technical quality was at least poor, but if we only wait to have the perfect film without any support this will never appear.

Sorry for long post but I wanted to add my voice here.

robert

PS: being this an I-1 image thread I didn't like to spoil it with pictures from other cameras, so I decided to just post the links to them.
By the way I'm leaving for a short trip (to meet friends and relax where photography is only a collateral activity) and I'll have in my bag the M7 and The I-1 ...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-25-2016   #49
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
.... I have an SX70 and a packet of Impossible Project B&W film so I am an Impossible Project customer, and I'm hoping that I can get something cool out of that....
I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 05-25-2016   #50
lynnb

Godfrey, I've had some success scanning Impossible prints by putting them back into the plastic Instant film holder and then placing that face down on the Epson scanner glass - the film holder gives a gap of under 1mm between print and glass, avoiding Newton's rings.
cheers,

Old 05-25-2016   #51
Mackinaw
Think Different

This probably deserves its own thread, but it looks like MINT is going to introduce a new instant camera next week. And looking at their website, this new camera will take both IP film as well as Instax. Very interesting I'd say.

https://mint-camera.com/en/news/game...-special-event

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-25-2016   #52
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Godfrey, I've had some success scanning Impossible prints by putting them back into the plastic Instant film holder and then placing that face down on the Epson scanner glass - the film holder gives a gap of under 1mm between print and glass, avoiding Newton's rings.
That's a great idea! Thank you! I hadn't thought of that. :-)

It doesn't help when you want to capture the paper framing as well, but that's another challenge. That might be better managed with compositing ... good exposure for the paper frame is often well off what represents good exposure for the image. One could capture representative frames of all the different paper types that can be applied as borders on a per-image basis.

fun fun fun...

G

Old 05-25-2016   #53
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
This probably deserves its own thread, but it looks like MINT is going to introduce a new instant camera next week. And looking at their website, this new camera will take both IP film as well as Instax. Very interesting I'd say.

https://mint-camera.com/en/news/game...-special-event
Oh yes, it will be interesting to see what they come up with too! They're SLR670a and SLR670m are very good reworks on the SX-70, and the TLR they've done is delightful. (I'm surprised I haven't seen more interest in the TLR on this forum. I've only been resisting from the point of view of "yet another film format to keep in stock...")

We'll have to open a new thread for this new camera.

G

Old 05-28-2016   #54
thart2009
Tom Hart

Shot some Third Man Records Edition film today at the historic Ohio State Reformatory..

Education, sacrifice, redemption.
by Tom Hart, on Flickr

Old 05-28-2016   #55
aizan

why does impossible project film take so long to develop and need to be shielded from light?

Old 05-28-2016   #56
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nicely done, Tom!

I've really liked the Third Man Records yellow duo tone film. I bought a bunch of it when it was current, still have a half dozen packs. On the right subjects, it does just the thing. :-)

Old 05-28-2016   #57
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
why does impossible project film take so long to develop and need to be shielded from light?
There's no real answer to that other than "that's the way it was." Getting the opacifier to work well was evidently very tricky, as has been getting processing speed up to Polaroid standards, never mind meeting Polaroid color standards.

Current revision B&W and color emulsions are much more lightproof coming out of the camera and process much much faster. Development continues ...

G

Old 05-29-2016   #58
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Impossible I-1
Impossible 600 Color v2 Lucky Eight

enjoy!
G

Old 05-29-2016   #59
thart2009
Tom Hart

Quote:
Impossible I-1
Impossible 600 Color v2 Lucky Eight
enjoy!
G
Whoa! Talk about color! I do like the special edition films from Impossible. I trust they will continue that trend.

Old 05-29-2016   #60
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Thanks!

Yes, I like the special editions too. The Lucky Eight has been wonderful fun ... Sadly, I only have one pack left. I'd like to see them do that one again next year with the v3 color materials.

I have a few more Magenta and Cyanographic packs, too; have a Magenta in the camera now. Fun stuff!

G

Old 06-05-2016   #61
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Impossible I-1
Impossible 600 Yellow Duotone
Manual exposure: Macro distance, f/8 @ 1/2 second

Having too much fun with this camera. This is from pack #7... I'm now on pack #12. :-)

enjoy!
G

Old 06-06-2016   #62
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Impossible I-1
Impossible 600 Yellow Duotone
Manual exposure: Macro distance, f/8 @ 1/2 second

Having too much fun with this camera. This is from pack #7... I'm now on pack #12. :-)

enjoy!
G
Lovely photo Godfrey! I guess you did you use the app to set the camera. Or...
robert

Old 06-11-2016   #63
robert blu
quiet photographer

Did anyone use SX70 films in the I-1 ?
Just curious to know if exposure compensation could be enough to compensate the different iso value of the films.
I would like to use some of the films I have in house before buying new ones...
robert

Old 06-11-2016   #64
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Did anyone use SX70 films in the I-1 ?
Just curious to know if exposure compensation could be enough to compensate the different iso value of the films.
I would like to use some of the films I have in house before buying new ones...
robert
I did one experiment using the Manual Control app and setting exposure manually. I'll load up another pack after the current pack is exhausted and see what the automation does.

G

Old 06-11-2016   #65
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
I did one experiment using the Manual Control app and setting exposure manually. I'll load up another pack after the current pack is exhausted and see what the automation does.

G
I'll try tomorrow a color pack, not the .2 but an older one to see what happens, planning a few double exposures...
robert

Old 06-12-2016   #66
robert blu
quiet photographer

To answer my own question I did a quick test this morning, from met terrace. SX 70 film (old prediction, before the 2.0) with the switch on the camera set to overexpose, sunny day exposure is acceptable. Colors are a little soft but I find this a characteristic of Impossible Color Film (just my idea). Sorry no scan possibility at the moment.
robert

Old 06-12-2016   #67
robert blu
quiet photographer

Here is the scan of the photo mentioned in the previous post. No PP.
robert

Old 06-12-2016   #68
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Here is the scan of the photo mentioned in the previous post. No PP.
That looks pretty good, Robert! I'll have to do some experimenting too. One more frame on Pack 12 through the I-1 and then I can load some SX-70 film and see what it does.

G

Old 06-20-2016   #69
jojoman2

just picked up a spectra pro and some impossible film b&w

anyone got some more b&w results?

Old 06-20-2016   #70
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman2 View Post
just picked up a spectra pro and some impossible film b&w

anyone got some more b&w results?
This is a link to the tiny fraction of the Spectra photos I've made that I posted on-line: www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto ... Spectra photos.

I'd prefer to reserve this thread for photos made with the Impossible I-1, however. I'd be delighted to participate in a thread dedicated to Spectra photos.

G

Old 06-22-2016   #71
SteveM(PA)
Poser

I don't have the camera so no photos to share but I just wanted to chime in and say I just got the latest newsletter from Teenage Engineering, my favorite synthesizer company, in which they talk about how they designed this camera! I had no idea. Anyway, more of their designs are here:

https://teenageengineering.com/designs/I-1
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 06-28-2016   #72
robert blu
quiet photographer

During my recent trip in Germany I took my new I-1 with me. I have no time to scan all the shot but as "preview" this is one shot on the motorway (I was driving, my wife shot, safety first!) on an expired Nigo Special Edition by Impossible.

Old 06-28-2016   #73
robert blu
quiet photographer

Another shot from my trip, when at a crossroad we didn't know exactly where to go!
Always I-1 and Nigo Special Edition (expired) from Impossible.

Plan to post more (regular) shots in a couple of weeks, after scan.

a few more from this series "all my friends drive a Porsche" on my blog here i

Old 10-23-2016   #74
2wenty

I agree with Huss. For the money they charge the quality is not as good as it should be. Last time I checked this is a forum where people express their opinion. You would think someone with 7k posts would know that.