Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

road trips
Old 10-11-2016   #1
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

road trips

what was the single most interesting / enjoyable / memorable road trip you took, and did you have a camera with you?

Old 10-11-2016   #2
Red Rock Bill

Death Valley and I carried 2 pinhole cameras a Holga......and a tripod.... the best trip ever for a number of reasons......regards,Bill

Old 10-11-2016   #3
johnwolf

Nice topic, Simon. Who doesn't love a road trip?

In my reckless, pre-photography youth I hitchhiked from New York to Tucson via Chicago. I met a lot of folks along the way. Leaving Chicago, a young woman in a black Camaro stopped to ask if I could drive. When I said yes, she handed me the keys, climbed into the back seat, and slept for hundreds of miles. I remember it well, even after nearly fifty years. How things have changed.

In the last one I had with a camera, my wife and I rented a Mustang convertible for the drive from Miami to Key West. Short, as roadtrips go, but a wonderful drive.

John

Old 10-11-2016   #4
nickthetasmaniac

The year after I finished high school a mate and I caught the boat to Melbourne, and then drove to Kalbarri on the mid-west coast of WA, surfing along the way. Google says it's about 6000km each way, although I suspect we may have added a fair bit to that. We spend 5 months driving over, and 4 days driving back

I did have a camera, a lovely Olympus C5060W that was my first 'serious' camera (I was 18 at the time). Unfortunately though it was stolen after our car got robbed in Perth, about 3 weeks before we were due to come home. I picked up a replacement P&S off a family friend, but I never got many shots out of it...

This is the only one I think I still have access to - Jakes Point, one of the legendary desert left-handers you'll find up that way. This particular wave is the smaller, hollower, shallower inside section, called 'Skeletons' and loved by bodyboarders (ie. me).

I left a lot of skin in that reef, but it's still one of my favourite places in the world

We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isnít completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 10-13-2016   #5
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

i just got back from a two week and 2500km road trip through portugal, and it confirmed once again that it is indeed one of the best ways to travel.
the states in a vintage mustang remains a (wet) dream.

Old 10-13-2016   #6
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
the states in a vintage mustang remains a (wet) dream.
Probably the most dreamed men's dream without women included

Yogi

Old 10-13-2016   #7
huddy

I drove my family and several of my wife's younger siblings on a business trip from TX to the Florida Space coast in May. We got to watch a SpaceX launch the second day we were there, ended up with a business rental yellow camaro, picnicked under the IH10 Mississippi River bridge at sunset in Baton Rouge, saw KSC, and went to the beach in FL. What a fun and exhausting trip, totally worth the memories. I took a Pentax 67 and the last of my Reala 100; I will have to upload pictures later.

Last edited by huddy : 10-13-2016 at 16:22.

Old 10-13-2016   #8
zuiko85

Sounds nice. Have done a few short trips, but even retired don't seem to have much time (or money) for longer ones. The area I live in, Puget Sound, is very diverse and there are many interesting routes for 1 to 3 day trips. This thread reminds me I need to plan one soon.

Old 10-13-2016   #9
02Pilot
Malcontent

I've done lots of short ones (~weekend length or so) - I'm leaving for Maine on Saturday, as a matter of fact. The two longer ones have both been automotively-inspired.

First was a blast down to South Carolina (~1500 miles round trip) for a vintage BMW event; I own a 2002 (model, not year) and it was 02/02/02, so the factory threw a party for owners from around the country. Hell of a drive in February in an almost 40 year old car with a built motor and track suspension.

The other was seven years later, when a buddy and I joined up with another group of like-minded car people to do a banger rally, known as Big Apple to Big Easy, or the BABE for short. Five days to get from New York to New Orleans in a car costing no more than $500. The route included very few highways, so we ran all over the place, including a run through the infamous Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap. Stayed one night in NO, then up to another friend in Atlanta, overnight there and back to NY the next day. Great and utterly exhausting trip.

I'm overdue for another big roadtrip. I'm thinking cross-country, or at least the western half. Maybe via Route 66 or the Lincoln Highway. Time to start planning....

Oh, and no photos other than some boring documentary shots from the earlier trips, but here's a gratuitous photo of the 2002 (which I still own).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 10 Hours Ago   #10
Archiver

My single most enjoyable and memorable road trip was for work.

Some years ago, I worked for a company I shall not name. It aimed to create its own version of Google Streetview, and I helped design a car-mounted camera system, as well as coordinating a three month drive up the east coast of Australia.

We went places I never thought of visiting. Beaches that stretched as far as I could see. Quiet country towns with their own cemeteries. Legendary pubs in the middle of nowhere.

DP1 - Shadows on the Pier by Archiver, on Flickr

DP1 - Ettamogah Pub by Archiver, on Flickr

DP1 - Mehfil by Archiver, on Flickr

I caught a national camera expo in Sydney, and ate fish and chips in Queensland. I drove past the house that my girlfriend grew up in. I broke up with that girlfriend, too.

With me were the Canon G10 and Sigma DP1. After a month I hankered after a bigger camera, so for my weekend home, I returned with my Canon 5D Mark II.

5D MkII - Feeding the Masses by Archiver, on Flickr

5D MkII - QVB by Archiver, on Flickr

Three months on the road. Three months away from family and friends, but making new friends along the way.

I'll always remember those three months.