Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Canon Demi EE17 - Light Meter Battery Life
Old 09-30-2016   #1
twheshka

Canon Demi EE17 - Light Meter Battery Life

Just got the EE17. With the light meter above the lens it seems the meter is always on draining the battery whether you are shooting or not. Other than taking the battery out when not in use, is there a way to turn the meter off when the camera is not in use? Are there any DIY solutions to extend the battery life without battery removal? Thanks for your help.

Old 10-04-2016   #2
zuiko85

How about a lens cap?

Old 10-04-2016   #3
twheshka

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the light meter is not in the lens barrel, but the light meter is in the camera body sitting above the lens. Covering the lens has no effect.

Old 10-04-2016   #4
twheshka

Here is an image of my Canon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000800.jpg (166.1 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-04-2016   #5
btgc

I think, this is why they used ERC's religiously back then. After shot or series of shots, one attached back upper part of case, thus also blocking light to meter cell. Yet they were used to change battery on regular basis so ERC and/or lens cap seems to be common practice for era.

Old 10-04-2016   #6
zuikologist

Similar to Olympus 35sp - it needs a case to stop current flowing. Even then, removing the battery for longer term storage was recommended.

Old 10-08-2016   #7
Fraser

I've got a Canon Demi S and I thought they were all the same my doesn't need a battery
16fbpicCanonDemi_01 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr