Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

Old 10-03-2016   #41
bayernfan

If I consider my scanner paid off, a roll of B&W film (Ilford HP5 for example) costs me about $6 (total) to buy, develop, and digitize. I can live with that. Making optical prints isn't going to break my bank either.

Try as it might, digital still can't touch the look of true B&W film.

Old 10-05-2016   #42
scigeek

I have a waterproof cheapie digital camera for the kayak. It's perfect for that.

This was with the previous digital camera - it died.

For everything else I prefer film. The current digital camera will break and be junk in a year or three. The film cameras, a Leica M6 and a Leica 111c, will just keep on going.
Looking at this picture now I can see how a different camera would have allowed me to take a better series of shots. In Wales we are very lucky to see the sea this calm, so that was kind of the point of the shot.

Cost of film is not an issue for me. Photography is how I choose to spend some of my hard-earned cash. My family are happy that I do so.

Old 10-07-2016   #43
AlTheKiller

I figured out my hard cost for shooting 4x5 B&W.

for 2 sheets of film, develop and scan (includes gas at .54 cents per mile to the shop) its $35.73

does not include my time or gas to/from location of the shoot.