Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-A, X-E, X-M, X-T Series

Old 07-01-2015   #41
GaryLH

Here is the link to manual

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._ru_zhs_04.pdf

Toward the last two pages of the language section of your choice it shows the phase detect cell vs others.

Gary

Old 07-01-2015   #42
Bob Michaels
nobody special

GaryLH: Many thanks. I got it. It turns out none of this relates to the way I shoot as I always use the old fashioned single point autofocus, lock focus, recompose, and shoot. Same way I used my ContaxG which was the only other autofocus camera I used. Or, basically the same way I use a manual focus rangefinder. I still have a pretty good grasp of DOF for a given lens and given aperture from the old days, so "focus here and I can handle the rest" still works best for me.

Appreciate the pointers.

Old 07-01-2015   #43
GaryLH

Bob, no problem glad to be of help. Btw...If u are using center cells for your spot af.. And if u have afs plus high performance mode I believe u should still Improvement in af performance.

Gary

Old 07-01-2015   #44
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Gary, thanks again. Based on the suggestions of the Fujirumors site you referenced, I have switched to the "high performance" mode.

BTW, I am still trying to get my head around the concept of a camera giving you a choice if you want "high performance" or not.

I have my XT-1 auto focusing as good as my old ContaxG bodies. They had no options but sure did focus accurately on the indicated center point and almost instantaneously in good light.

Old 07-01-2015   #45
GaryLH

Good to hear.. G2 w/ those lenses are hard to best vendor today.

Gary

Old 07-02-2015   #46
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post

BTW, I am still trying to get my head around the concept of a camera giving you a choice if you want "high performance" or not.
Yeah, I always thought that was strange too...

Old 07-02-2015   #47
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Yeah, I always thought that was strange too...
The difference in the case of the X-T1 is battery life. "High performance" mode uses more juice.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 07-02-2015   #48
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge100 View Post
I just got an X-T10, and I can confirm that the AF performance is incredibly fast; much better than I ever saw on my (admittedly old) X-Pro1. Night and day.
How's the EVF?

Old 07-02-2015   #49
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
The difference in the case of the X-T1 is battery life. "High performance" mode uses more juice.
Oh, I know... but the battery lasts like a typical mirrorless camera in high performance mode anyway.

Old 07-04-2015   #50
MCTuomey

Shot two acts last night with my X-T1s and FW 4.0. Lens primarily 56/1.2. Single point, single shot - my usual shooting mode to keep the comparison clean. I would say slightly faster and surer in low light (iso 6400, 1/125, f/1.2), in very low end stage lighting. No dramatic change, that's for sure. In heavily backlit, competing contrast points, again slightly better. I think it re-racked only a few times, where previously there would have been more. Good stuff.

This is pretty much what I expected, incremental improvement. I'm happy but won't sell the canon gear

Way too dark to pull out the 55-200, which I'm really intererested to try with 4.0. I might rent the 50-140 at some point and see how it works out in my dungeons, which I wouldn't have thought worthwhile prior to FW 4.0.

A few from one of the clubs -

20150703-123-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150703-133-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150703-143-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

My Flickr

More 35 testing
Old 07-05-2015   #51
GaryLH

More 35 testing

So I have been playing around a bit more w/ the 35f1.4 and discovered some differences in performance - afs mode not afc. Still have not had chance to shoot rapid moving objects yet. All testing done in both good outdoor light and normal room lighting, not poor lighting like a nightclub.
- the old spot only af mode where u choose the size of the af area is only slightly better than what was in pre-4.0 fw
- af zone has some inconsistent behavior..in the sense, the af box size u select makes a big difference in performance
-- small square where only phase detect cells are being used, marginally better than spot af, but in some situations it is much better..
-- rectangle which uses all the phase detect is very much better, when small to medium changes of distance.. It makes the 35 feel like a different lens in these situations. Bigger changes in distance is about same as small square. The newer lens like the 18-135 wr is a lot faster in this mode though then the 35..still not pro dslr af fast though.
-- large square which uses both contrast and phase detect cells slightly better than original spot af. Maybe about same af speed as the small square.
- wide area focus tracking in afs is about the same as spot af. In afc mode, initial lock is about same as spot af, but tracking test w/ slow moving objects works as expected.

The real test for both zone and wide area is a rapid moving object in afc. Overall..4.0 does not re-focus as much when u have not moved the focus point..a more times than not it stays in same af focus..no motor noise and refocus lock time.

Gary

Old 07-05-2015   #52
gavinlg

Quote:
Shot two acts last night with my X-T1s and FW 4.0. Lens primarily 56/1.2. Single point, single shot - my usual shooting mode to keep the comparison clean. I would say slightly faster and surer in low light (iso 6400, 1/125, f/1.2), in very low end stage lighting. No dramatic change, that's for sure. In heavily backlit, competing contrast points, again slightly better. I think it re-racked only a few times, where previously there would have been more. Good stuff.

This is pretty much what I expected, incremental improvement. I'm happy but won't sell the canon gear

Way too dark to pull out the 55-200, which I'm really intererested to try with 4.0. I might rent the 50-140 at some point and see how it works out in my dungeons, which I wouldn't have thought worthwhile prior to FW 4.0.

A few from one of the clubs -

20150703-123-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150703-133-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150703-143-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr
Looks good. For your shooting situations, I would highly recommend you try the zone focus with the 3x3 focus group square. I think it will make a massive difference for focusing under the backlights and low contrast areas for you. This is the main feature of the new firmware IMO.

Old 07-05-2015   #53
MCTuomey

thanks gavin - i do appreciate the suggestion but i never use zone focusing. not being snarky, i don't want the camera selecting my focus point. nope, that's my job. the camera's job is to focus where i point it , in the X-T1's case, in AF-S, single point of choice. if it can do it in zone focus in heavy backlight and specular highlight conditions, it should be able to do so without zone focus selected. the sony A7S can do it. my canons can do it. my fujis should too.

v4.0 seems incrementally better for what i do with a 56/1.2 and 23/1.4, meaning slight change. that's good, but not great. more testing and use to come. i sure do wish i could get an x-trans sensor in canon 6D body ... or canon AF in an X-T1.

My Flickr

Old 07-05-2015   #54
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
So I have been playing around a bit more w/ the 35f1.4 and discovered some differences in performance - afs mode not afc. Still have not had chance to shoot rapid moving objects yet. All testing done in both good outdoor light and normal room lighting, not poor lighting like a nightclub.
- the old spot only af mode where u choose the size of the af area is only slightly better than what was in pre-4.0 fw
- af zone has some inconsistent behavior..in the sense, the af box size u select makes a big difference in performance
-- small square where only phase detect cells are being used, marginally better than spot af, but in some situations it is much better..
-- rectangle which uses all the phase detect is very much better, when small to medium changes of distance.. It makes the 35 feel like a different lens in these situations. Bigger changes in distance is about same as small square. The newer lens like the 18-135 wr is a lot faster in this mode though then the 35..still not pro dslr af fast though.
-- large square which uses both contrast and phase detect cells slightly better than original spot af. Maybe about same af speed as the small square.
- wide area focus tracking in afs is about the same as spot af. In afc mode, initial lock is about same as spot af, but tracking test w/ slow moving objects works as expected.

The real test for both zone and wide area is a rapid moving object in afc. Overall..4.0 does not re-focus as much when u have not moved the focus point..a more times than not it stays in same af focus..no motor noise and refocus lock time.

Gary
Aside from bells and whistles AF features, which don't matter at all to me, I'll go out on a limb and say what v4.0 gets users are slightly better prediction algorithms in its continuous AF implementation that work on slow-moving subjects that aren't changing direction or speed quickly or erratically. Also a lower threshold EV. I think what you wrote boils down to just this.

No one should have to guess about the effect of focus box size or other choices. The camera should focus on what it's pointed at - quickly, reliably, and repeatedly. Fuji, keep your eye on that prize, please. Do what a Canon 6D does today or 1D could do 10 years ago. Or an EOS 1V/3 nearly 20 years ago.

My Flickr

Old 07-05-2015   #55
gavinlg

Quote:
thanks gavin - i do appreciate the suggestion but i never use zone focusing. not being snarky, i don't want the camera selecting my focus point.
Try it anyway. In reality it's only slightly larger AF selection area than a single focus point of moderate size. You might want to try in continuous AF mode as well on CL considering the success everyone else seems to be having with AF tracking. All cameras have quirks you gotta adapt to. 5d/6ds, like i said before, basically cannot consistently focus accurately with wide open lenses, which is why they have that lens fine tune adjust feature. Yer pick yer poisons. The 6d is all but useless with any focus point but the very centre one, which is the only cross type sensor on the af array. Very meh IMO.

Old 07-05-2015   #56
TKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Try it anyway. In reality it's only slightly larger AF selection area than a single focus point of moderate size.
Thats it.

Rainer

Samyang 12mm f2 + XF 18mm f2 + Olympus Zuiko 24mm f2.8 with Kipon Tilt/Shift + XF 35mm f1.4 + XF 56mm f1.2 + XC 50-230mm

My English B/W Photo Blog

My German Photo Blog

Old 07-05-2015   #57
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
5d/6ds, like i said before, basically cannot consistently focus accurately with wide open lenses, which is why they have that lens fine tune adjust feature. Yer pick yer poisons. The 6d is all but useless with any focus point but the very centre one, which is the only cross type sensor on the af array. Very meh IMO.
Probably no point in comparing notes. 6D center point is excellent esp in low light and all I need, in my use. Your "meh" is my "yeah boy." I've used the series for years with fast lenses, primes and teles, they focus more than adequately for me, while the 1 series are stellar. Different standards, needs, uses between us.

My Flickr

Old 09-14-2016   #58
f16sunshine

Hi all
With the XT1,..Is there any way to set the front function button as the afl (instant focus for MF mode) ?
It seems it can be done with the XT2 but maybe not with the XT1??
Anyone?

Old 09-14-2016   #59
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Hi all
With the XT1,..Is there any way to set the front function button as the afl (instant focus for MF mode) ?
It seems it can be done with the XT2 but maybe not with the XT1??
Anyone?
As far as I know only the AF-L or AE-L buttons can be used for AF during MF.

Old 09-14-2016   #60
Jdi

I don't recall any ability to assign bbf to any function buttons on my old xt1. Nor my current xe2.