Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Old 05-13-2016   #241
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
To be fully responsive is more than just a template or theme, it's an upgrade or replacement of the entire system. But such an upgrade will bring a huge number of modern features along with it.
I agree. But responsive-ish should be doable mostly with template bodging - php, css, javascript, etc. I've done so for friends' websites and forums, including mine. Won't be perfect but will be much more phone friendly and wouldn't cost much in time or money...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 05-13-2016   #242
splitimageview

Sure, that could be hacked together, but a properly designed conversion to something like Xenforo would be far better/easier to manage/maintain in the long run, and bring along a lot more modern features.

Old 05-13-2016   #243
mackigator

+1 for responsive and +1 for the lens review database.

The latter is also a potential long term traffic pull (unique content) helping to insure that the site and community survive as the Internet changes.

I still peruse this Flickr group when messing about with lenses, looking for clues as to how I might make pictures with a particular lens. https://www.flickr.com/groups/m-mount/

Old 05-13-2016   #244
Monochrom

Nice question!

I think forum could be improved by making a more profound and extensive DIY/Repair subforum.
RF´s can be perfectly fixed by users don´t believe in that aryan demi god leica expertise. I don´t send the flat tire of my merc back to germany to get fixed nor inflated.

Also improvement will occur by cutting away all the other cameras that aren´t real RF´s.
No matter how alike is a mirrorless camera to a RF, the similarity of those cameras is only an aesthetic wannabe issue, nothing to learn from.

Those are my two improvements for the forum.

Old 05-13-2016   #245
Range-rover

To be able to just put in larger JPegs, I mean larger than 500x500

Old 05-13-2016   #246
cole

Lots of interesting ideas shared already, but like many others I'm largely satisfied with RFF, and have been for many years (despite being away the past few of those years).

One improvement that I think could make a huge difference is a bit of an overhaul of the design of the site, to be honest. Taking a look at l-camera-forum, they've made it responsive (so I can read it equally well on my phone as on my laptop), and the typography in general is far easier on the eyes (using larger, dark text on light background instead of the reverse which is used here).

While I’ve not done much work on forums, I have been doing web design and development for the past ~10 years or so, and would be happy to lend a hand if this is something other people feel would be welcome. It wouldn't be quick to do, but I think it could be really beneficial. (To be clear: I wouldn't want to take this on on my own; it would be a ton of work and I think would require a few people working together as time permits.)

EDIT: Just noticed a couple other folks commenting on the same idea. And I agree, Tapatalk is horrible.

‘32 Frames from the North of Italy’, my second book of photographs, is now available here: http://shop.colepeters.com

Old 05-13-2016   #247
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

We are looking at transitioning to Xenforo which should be fine for the forums.

However the problem is getting the something like the existing home page, classifieds and galleries into something as good and compatible with Xenforo.

no easy task so far.

Stephen

Old 05-13-2016   #248
Jockos

I'd love to see even more posts by you, Stephen; like what's happening in the business, what do you hear from Cosina and Leica, and maybe from the film manufacturers as well.

Of course I understand that a lot may be trade secrets and so on, but it's always good to hear from a reputable source with business insight

Da gallery

Old 05-13-2016   #249
Robbie Bedell

I have found it impossible to post photos larger than the thumbnails. I have tried and tried and still never figured out how to do it. I think there would be more participation if that one thing was made more simple. I find it simple everywhere else, but not here...makes me feel very stupid..

Old 05-13-2016   #250
daveleo
È quello che è.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Bedell View Post
I have found it impossible to post photos larger than the thumbnails. I have tried and tried and still never figured out how to do it. I think there would be more participation if that one thing was made more simple. I find it simple everywhere else, but not here...makes me feel very stupid..
The pictures posted in threads are actually hot-links to the image files, which are really either on some other webserver (Flickr, etc) or uploaded to the photo gallery here on RFF (see the topbar "gallery" link).
Posting directly to a thread only gets you an embedded thumbnail in the thread.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 05-13-2016   #251
peterm1

Overall I am very happy with the Forum which is why I use it so much.

Some have raised the issue of image posting. I almost always post an image to a third party site then use the link to put the image up on any of my threads here. With sites like Flickr and Photobucket they give you the HTML to paste in so its dead easy.

But if the image is not on another site already it has to be uploaded there as a first step - which can be a pain. (I only tend to post my better images to say Flickr as a matter of habit so any others I use on this site have to be put up first). I think you still have a size limit on any images posted directly here???? (I have not tried recently) If I want to upload a specific image here it has to be resized first on my PC then uploaded here. It would help to be able to upload a full sized image to RFFs server without this mucking about (even if RFF) automatically resizes it for the user when it arrives and before it is saved if that is needed to save space on the RFF server.

The main gripe I have with the site however is its search engine, which can be very quirky. Some aspects of it are good however, like the advanced search option to search all posts by my own user name to find any threads to which I have contributed (or any other user). That's extremely useful although I would like the option to display the results by the date of my last post which I dont think exists - I think it has other date displays like date of last activity on the thread or date the thread was started which is not so useful if you are looking for a specific post of your own as it cna make it hard to find the result in the result stack.

On the other hand if I am searching by key word its more difficult to get a solid and useful result. I can get around this and using Google and specifying that Google is only to look in this site and that works better. I understand that good on site search engine options may be problematic (many use an external search engine provider I believe or have to buy search engine software for their own server). But it would be good if its do-able.

Old 05-13-2016   #252
splitimageview

It's easy to add Google to the search box in Xenforo, if the site ends up going that direction.

Old 05-14-2016   #253
Robbie Bedell

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
The pictures posted in threads are actually hot-links to the image files, which are really either on some other webserver (Flickr, etc) or uploaded to the photo gallery here on RFF (see the topbar "gallery" link).
Posting directly to a thread only gets you an embedded thumbnail in the thread.
Precisely...I really should not have to have all my photos on a separate webserver to post here. I already have a Photoshelter account, but those photos will not link to here, at least not simply. It should just be plain easy to upload a photograph to a photographically oriented forum....seems to me... I still love the group! THANK YOU DAVE!

Old 05-14-2016   #254
FrankS

I agree. I wish I could simply post a pic to RFF directly from my computer without requiring them to be hosted somewhere first. But I understand it has to do with storage space.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-22-2016   #255
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
To be able to just put in larger JPegs, I mean larger than 500x500
I agree. This site is not user friendly for posting pics.

A thankyou or thumbs up feature would be nice as well.

Old 08-23-2016   #256
SausalitoDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
I agree. This site is not user friendly for posting pics.

A thankyou or thumbs up feature would be nice as well.
What I would REALLY REALLY like is for someone to figure out how we can get a Publish Service for Lightroom. They are available for Flickr, smug mug, 500px and many many more.

I have no idea how this is done. I assume it would take someone with developer skills (many of the service scripts sell for about $10). I would be willing to pay for it's use or contribute to a fund that would develop it and make it available free.

would be very cool to have...

tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 08-23-2016   #257
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Girls, Girls, Girls !!!

"A thing of Beauty is a Joy forever" ... Keats

Old 09-01-2016   #258
radi(c)al_cam

I wonder: why does only the Sony forum have a subforum called «Sony E Lenses / Adapted Lenses / Adapters / Images»?

There are countless posts covering the topic Adapted Lenses / Adapters, but since these often very informative posts are spread among completely different topics and forums, it's very difficult to find them.

IMHO, Adapted Lenses / Adapters would deserve an entire forum irrespective of the particular lens/camera mounts in that case of course.

——
Ah wait: how about tagging? I would guess that would be a useful crutch, if the authors and/or mods would tag posts?

Cheerio from the Austrian Alps,
Alexander

A platoon of breech-block is a cock.
(evilB item 120540033981)