Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

35 SP Film crank coming apart
Old 08-16-2016   #1
Mrgreentie

35 SP Film crank coming apart

So I was rewinding a roll and there was a lot of tension in the process. 80% into the rewind, the crank came apart (top winder fell off the shaft). I screwed it back together but it comes apart every time i rewind another roll of film. I have to be doing something wrong? Should I put loctite on the threads?

p.s. This is my first Rangefinder so I could be doing everything wrong.

Old 08-16-2016   #2
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgreentie View Post
...top winder fell off the shaft...
A more detailed description of what happened would be helpful.

My guess is that either the threads are stripped or you are turning the rewind crank the wrong direction. Rewind knobs and cranks use threads that tighten when they are turned the correct direction and loosen when turned the wrong direction. Some knobs/cranks have small set/grup screws to prevent accidental unscrewing, but most don't.

If by "fell off" you actually mean "unscrewed" then turning the knob/crank the wrong direction was the cause. This will also lead to the film binding during rewind, sometimes mildly and sometime severely. It will also cause damage to the film as it is forced to take a very sharp turn after entering the cassette. This damage will show when developed as dark (on negative film) exposed lines extending down into the image from each of the edges of each sprocket hole.

Old 08-16-2016   #3
Mrgreentie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwig View Post
A more detailed description of what happened would be helpful.

If by "fell off" you actually mean "unscrewed" then turning the knob/crank the wrong direction was the cause. This will also lead to the film binding during rewind, sometimes mildly and sometime severely. It will also cause damage to the film as it is forced to take a very sharp turn after entering the cassette.
When rewinding the film tremendous tension built up and the film would no longer rewind. I opened the camera back and about 10" of film was unable to be wound into the canister.

Old 08-16-2016   #4
papaki

It could be that the film advance mechanism is not released for rewinding the film. Check to see if by mid film rewinding the button at the bottom of the camera gets popped out.

Old 08-23-2016   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

Which way are you turning the crank, Mrgreentie? Clockwise, or counter? Because if you are going counter-clockwise, you're doing it wrong (as they like to say on LOL Cats). The common way to remove a rewind crank from a camera is to put a screwdriver into the fork of the shaft, and turn the crank counter-clockwise.

By binding up the film turning it the wrong direction, you are essentially doing the same thing, jamming the shaft so it won't turn. The screw that holds the crank to the shaft has a right-hand thread, so it should not loosen when turned in the proper direction.

Don't worry, you're not the first one to do this. But I would also check that rewind button papaki mentions, just in case it is contributing to the binding. The film should run somewhat free, with just a little drag as it passes over the pressure plate. And if you let go of the crank before the film leader end gets past the pressure plate, then the crank should spin counter-clockwise on its own as the film tension in the canister is released like a spring unwinding.

PF