Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus 35 DC broken light meter?
Old 08-11-2016   #1
Arbitrarium

Olympus 35 DC broken light meter?

Hiya, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Greetings to the forum!

I recently acquired a 35 DC from Japan via the auction site and swiftly received a refund from the lovely seller because I discovered the light meter is dodgy.

The meter needle will only go down to 1/60 + f4. Even if you put the ASA to 25 and cover the meter in a dark room. Still only 160 + f4. If I jab the back light compensation button it jerks down to 1/30 f2.8 but it struggles.

I can't imagine it's a problem with the trap needle or the aperture blades because sans batteries the needle drops right down to f1.7 and the blades open right up.

I've tried fresh SR44s and LR44s with no difference.

So does anyone know what the problem might be? I assume it must be the meter itself that's knackered. I'm not afraid to dig around inside it if needed.

Cheers!

Old 08-11-2016   #2
nhchen

I had one that did something similar. I have a feeling that it's caused by the mechanism underneath the accessory shoe that senses if anything is in the shoe or not. The camera light meter may be stuck in its flash mode. I took the top cover off and bent one of the little metal spring tabs a little and that seemed to solve it. I don't know if it will work in your case though!

Nathan

Old 08-11-2016   #3
Arbitrarium

Hmmm I'll have a look under the top to see if that's the problem. Cheers for the hint!

Old 08-11-2016   #4
papaki

Look in the base of the camera for the lightmeter is in there, driving mechanically the needle at the top.
It is the same as the RC:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-134.html

Look if something is blocking the movement of the needle.