Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

siriusxm?
Old 08-02-2016   #1
back alley
IMAGES

siriusxm?

i got 3 months free on seriusxm when i bought my new to me car recently...

anyone with experience listening to it?
just curious what your thoughts on it might be.

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 08-02-2016   #2
Kenj8246

The best thing is: it's a LOT of radio. The worst thing is: it's a LOT of radio.

Old 08-02-2016   #3
splitimageview

it works. If you end up signing up, say 'no' to their sales teams several times and you'll end up getting a much better deal.

Old 08-02-2016   #4
css9450

Pick a channel, any channel, and you'll find it terribly repetitive.

If that's a problem, the only solution I could think of is to listen to as many channels as you can.

Old 08-02-2016   #5
CVickery

Like it...particularly the (almost) lack of commercials. Set up different presets for different styles of music to suit the mood. Still on the fence though, if it's worth the $$
SEM 21/3.4, CV Color Skopar 28/3.5, CV Ultron 28/2, UC-Hexanon 35/2, Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH, Summicron Rigid 50/2, Summitar 50/2, Summilux 50/1.4, Summilux 75/1.4, CV Color-Heliar 75/2.5, Summicron M 90/2.0, Canon 100/3.5 LTM, Tele-Elmar 135/4
Other stuff

Old 08-02-2016   #6
Chuck Albertson

Worth it for the BBC World Service.

Old 08-02-2016   #7
Mackinaw
Think Different

It can be great, especially if you send a lot of time in your vehicle. I find it especially useful on long trips.

That being said, I doubt I’ll renew my subscription next year. I'm thinking I can get by just fine with all the music that is stored on my phone.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-02-2016   #8
jszokoli

Sirius is without a doubt the most over-compressed audio you will ever hear. It's painful to my ears.

And the catch, often other services are delivered via Sirius, traffic for the navigation system, etc...

Joe

Old 08-02-2016   #9
Thardy

I have it in my cars. Like it so much I added it to my home audio system. There are so many stations/genre I think there is something for everyone.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 08-02-2016   #10
taemo

i listen to it when im editing pictures from the web browser
i don't have it on my car but i linked my account to a portable siriusxm player that my sister gave to me as i figured it would be more versatile as i can use it on any cars or while im going for a walk or riding my bike.

Old 08-02-2016   #11
marcr1230

It is great when you drive out west, it is over compressed.

if you threaten to cancel every time you are up for renewal - they often will give you a special rate, essentially indefinitely.

Old 08-02-2016   #12
Doug

We have had free introductory use of SiriusXM twice in new vehicles in the past few years, but have chosen not to subscribe. I don't recall any contact with sales agents to renew. I used to listen to radio while driving, not any more. I guess it may relate to my serious hearing loss that merges all sound sources into one mushy mess... I cannot ignore some sound sources while concentrating on one. So the radio is simply distracting. But, traffic radio can be useful when heading into a metro area.

SiriusXM
Old 08-02-2016   #13
Tim Murphy

SiriusXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
It is great when you drive out west, it is over compressed.

if you threaten to cancel every time you are up for renewal - they often will give you a special rate, essentially indefinitely.
This is the correct answer. If you listen to commercial radio on the East Coast you know that the commercials are the prime message in the programming.

I switched my daily driver to Sirius the moment my trial expired. I have since bought another vehicle that came with a trial and set that up to convert when it expires.

They doubled the price for my first vehicle when it came time to renew. I complained and they set up both vehicles for less than the price they wanted for the first one's renewal.

It's not cheap, but for $ 20.00 a month I can listen to what I want to listen to all the time, and anything is better than the crap they have here in Central PA.

I've got the Dead 24/7/365 in two cars so I'm all set.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Old 08-02-2016   #14
back alley
IMAGES

think i'll start listening tomorrow and see where that goes...thanks for all the comments.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 08-02-2016   #15
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

I listen to Bluesville, Jazz and Classic Vinyl as my main channels. Great for those times you're stuck for long stretches in the car. I have a portable unit and an extra antenna, one device subscription, that I can use in any of my cars, even at home. We'll worth the money.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 08-03-2016   #16
willie_901

SIRIUSXM is my least favorite media company. First, their business model is insane. You pay a bucket of money each month for satellite to your car and you still have to pay even more to stream the same content over the internet. Compared to other home internet options the extra cost for SIRIUS home internet streaming is crazy.

Some SIRIUS stations are well-curated. However I have about 160 GB of music in my library. I do my own curation using iTunes. In one car I have an iPhone 4 I just use for music and emergencies. It is essentially an iPod now that can make a 911 call. Since it's connected with a USB cable in a storage compartment it charges whenever the car is in use. In the other car I have a 128 GB USB thumbnail drive. This car can play ACC compressed files. In both cases I have some control over the compression. Both of these cars came with a SIRIUS radio.

The worst thing is if you don't renew your subscription SIRIUS harasses you with phone calls. All their phone sales are outsourced. It took months, but after repeated requests they stopped phoning me. It was easier to opt out of emails. They still send me snail mail though.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-03-2016   #17
x-ray

Had XM years ago. It's nearly impossible to u subscribe once you give them a credit card number. Never again!

Old 08-03-2016   #18
x-ray

Google seriusxm complaints and research it before paying.

Old 08-03-2016   #19
Crazy Fedya

I had Sirius radio for 5 years before their merge with XM. I liked it very much, even though it was very repetitive. I decided not to renew once "Congress allows us to pass royalty fees to our customers now" was included with my renewal. Never looked back. These days I wouldn't even consider it, mostly enjoying Spotify, Pandora and various radio apps.

Old 08-03-2016   #20
ferider

I'm a fan: have it the car and in the motorcycle. Listen mostly to classic rock stations (not repetitive) and to news.

Roland.

Old 08-03-2016   #21
BLKRCAT
99% Film

It was good like 10 years ago when It was just XM. I used to listen to fungus 53 all the time. Apart from that its over priced.

Also it infuriates me that I have to have a music subscription to take advantage of the traffic warnings in my car. There are no options to get traffic only. Total cash grab.

Old 08-03-2016   #22
FrozenInTime

A country as large as the US would be ideal for modern internal facing shortwave broadcasting with DRM ( Digital Radio Mondiale ).
But the lobbyists of the incumbents would persuade the FCC that would be anti-competitive ( as they have done since the 1930s )
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-03-2016   #23
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I'm a big jazz fan and don't get to hear my music on any regular station. It was a joy to have 3 or 4 stations that played it. That said, we don't seem to like music playing while we drive or even at home while we do things. We let the subscriptions lapse.

Old 08-03-2016   #24
back alley
IMAGES

sounds like there can be a dark side...

xt20/xe2/xe1