Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Old 07-14-2015   #41
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynguy View Post
One could also say that for $3,800 (price of a 28 Summicron), you similarly "are stuck" with only one focal length (no zoom, no variety, no nuthin'!), and no camera to boot! Or for $7,000, you only get that boring 50mm FOV and only f/2--ugh! who wants that tripe when CaNikon's Nifty 50 is $100! In fact, this could be argued for ANY lens and any price, since cheap point and shoot cameras can be had for almost nothing, relatively speaking.
The $3800 28 Summicron can be part of a very versatile package. A system that you can build on.

The $4250 Q is stuck with one focal length, nowhere to go to expand the possibilities of its supposedly brilliant sensor.

That 28 Summicron will make beautiful images on a Leica M, Monochrom, M9, M8, Mp, MA, M7, M6TTL, M6, M5, M4, M3, M2, and many other cameras. It is an investment in a system that you can build on.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 07-14-2015   #42
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlu19 View Post
Sony Rx1 was retailed for close to $3k when it first came out. Leica can easily charge that much more just because.
Q AF is alot faster than the RX1
Q also as OIS
Q has 28mm 1.7 lens versus RX1 35mm 2
Q has a nice big EVF

for ~1300$ more doesnt sound too bad IMO if you dont mind the 28mm focal length

i personally cancelled my Q pre-order because 28mm is just not for me.
Put the money on a used M240 so that i can use my 35mm and 50mm lens which are my favorites

Old 07-14-2015   #43
f16sunshine

I don't use Leica lenses. The point about the value of the lens is lost on me.
A Zeiss or CV lens does what I need it to do.
Although I have owned several Leica lenses I just don't see the point considering options available.
I'm not a cheapy either. I owned the M8 when it was still new and expensive,...Flirted with the M9 but ultimately decided the M8's I had were fine, ...Adopted the RD1 when it was the only Digital Rangefinder out there.
I love Rangefinders and have used film models since I was a teenager.

The only reason I would pay so called "Leica prices" is for a rangefinder. I would pay $4-$5k for a fixed lens 40mm Rangefinder in a heartbeat!
The Q does not have a rangefinder. I don't see why it needs to set me back $4K without one.

Old 07-14-2015   #44
taemo

good point Andy, i also wanted a RF camera hence why i went to the M instead

Old 07-14-2015   #45
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
The $3800 28 Summicron can be part of a very versatile package. A system that you can build on.

The $4250 Q is stuck with one focal length, nowhere to go to expand the possibilities of its supposedly brilliant sensor.

That 28 Summicron will make beautiful images on a Leica M, Monochrom, M9, M8, Mp, MA, M7, M6TTL, M6, M5, M4, M3, M2, and many other cameras. It is an investment in a system that you can build on.

Best,
-Tim
Tim,

My 28 Cron is almost permanently mounted to a Wetzlar M6 unless it is borrowed to be used on my Monochrom. Since I own so many cameras I kinda dedicated the 28 Cron to the M6 in a manner that it is perhaps 97-98 percent used like a fixed lens camera.

My black paint MP with 0.85 VF'er similarly is dedicated to and optimized for shooting a 50, and I even own a Canadian MD-2 that I use with a 21 Super Elmar that more or less is permanently mounted. I often carry two fully rigged cameras and sometimes three. I'm not a lens changer so most of my cameras get optimized for a specific focal length. An example of this is I had Sherry strip our the 75mm Frames out of my MP for uncluttered 50mm frames.

You are correct that I have versitility if I need it, but call me a lazy slacker because I don't like changing lenses and missing shots. Understand I consider the way I have my kit arrange as a luxury that not everybody can do. No doubt that the Leica "Q's" price makes it a luxury item that is not practical for most. I'm just calling it for what it is: an expensive camera that is a luxury item not built for the masses.

No doubt that my way is not utilizing the versitility and adaptability you mention, but it is a great way for me to do a lot of shooting. Understand that Diane Arbus use to carry three loaded Rollies in a knapsack so when she took her last shot, she just grabbed another loaded camera. My way is practical in a different manner.

Cal

Old 07-14-2015   #46
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post

True, but at huge price increase comparatively (film cameras shouldn't be part of the comparison) and some of us prefer AF. I don't use many different focal lengths. So, at $4250 and with my other cameras I already own I've got all bases covered. I have no interest in the M anymore.

Old 07-14-2015   #47
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Understand I consider the way I have my kit arrange as a luxury that not everybody can do. No doubt that the Leica "Q's" price makes it a luxury item that is not practical for most. I'm just calling it for what it is: an expensive camera that is a luxury item not built for the masses.
I guess this is what it comes down to... what do you already own and use and does the Q now fit into that equation because all other bases are covered.

For me, the Q is the type of camera that I like these days (and there aren't many alternatives). RF shaped, fast AF, decent fast lens, high ISO, full frame, great EVF, etc.

Old 07-14-2015   #48
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
The Q does not have a rangefinder. I don't see why it needs to set me back $4K without one.
Well, a M is $7000 right (without a lens)? $3000 to remove the RF seems about right and you get a lens too. We will never sell you guys on the value of this camera vs. something else. However, for some of us... it is exactly what we like.

Old 07-14-2015   #49
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I ordered one... while rangefinder focusing is my favorite MF method, I prefer AF to MF. However, the main reason for me is ergonomics. I prefer the M type shaped body to anything with a grip. Additionally, I tend to only use one/two lenses per body anyway. The Q came at the right time for me. I wanted a Leica, I wanted FF, I like 28mm, and I want AF with MF as a secondary option.

What's funny for me is that many assume that if they don't like 28mm, nobody else does.
Respect and congratulations!

Old 07-14-2015   #50
Ronald M

Q is a test bed for whatever is new in the camera. What works may evolve into something useful.

My first camera was a Waltz with 50 mm Nikkor fixed on. Could not wait until I graduated, had money, and buy an interchangeable lens model. Bought a Pentax Spotmatic,

28,35, 50 , 85, 135, 200 all in one shot. I am sure I made
Altman Camera very happy that day.

No I will not go back.

Old 07-14-2015   #51
BlackXList

It's the only Leica that I've ever had GAS for.

But there's no possible way I can justify it. I have the Ricoh GR for my fixed 28mm needs, and it's spectacular.

it's not full frame, but I can get a 28mm 1.8 AF lens for less than a 10th the cost of the Q for one of my full frame bodies.

It's a great looking piece of equipment, a focal length that I love, and the shots from it look great. It's just not something I can find any way to coming close to justifying.

Old 07-15-2015   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
But there's no possible way I can justify it. I have the Ricoh GR for my fixed 28mm needs, and it's spectacular.

it's not full frame, but I can get a 28mm 1.8 AF lens for less than a 10th the cost of the Q for one of my full frame bodies.
Well, in all fairness, you can get a pretty decent 28mm 2.8 lens for 1/10th of the price of a GR as well.

As I keep saying, the main gripe with this camera (as always with anything Leica) is the price. You cannot fault much else with it.

Old 07-15-2015   #53
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
This is not what all the reviews suggest. It is anyway weak enough to induce moire.
I was mistaken.

The Q does not have an AA filter.

I apologize for my error.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-15-2015   #54
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I was mistaken.

The Q does not have an AA filter.

I apologize for my error.
Willie,

Thanks for adding to the clarity. For me no AA filter is a bonus for resolution and another reason to like the "Q."

Cal

Old 07-15-2015   #55
gustavoAvila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
For me no AA filter is a bonus for resolution and another reason to like the "Q."
All contemporary cameras either have a very weak AA filter or none at all. This particular "specification" has been a non-issue for some years now.

Old 07-15-2015   #56
robert blu
quiet photographer

For sure a special camera. If I only had any digital camera with a short tele lens, 75/90 mm I would buy the Q because 60-70 % of my shooting is made with wide angles . But there is still that 30% where I would like to have a short tele, or at least a 50 (I know, I can crop the Q).
4 K EUR for 60% of my use is in this moment too much. But never say never...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-15-2015   #57
MIkhail

Quote:
I understand Dave. I get it... believe me, I keep wondering if I'm being foolish spending the cash, but oh well... I like it enough to do it and it'll be useful to me.
In my opinion, making photographs is such an emotional, sometimes irrational process (I am not talking about protocol/ wedding/ product/ graduation/ bat mitzvah pictures of course) so, if the camera makes you inspired and you can afford it, then, by all means, go for it. Pain of high cost will go away but camera will stay.

I personally cannot see myself buying it, simply for the reason that this digital camera does not inspire me enough, to want it badly enough.
The Leica prices in general piss me of just as much as next guy, but so is the high Snap-on price of a good automotive tool, high Trek price of bycicle or high Porsche price of a sporty car...
Photo-people are conditioned already to think that $4000 for a lens (few pieces of precision glass in metal barrel) is a good price in general, so... Leica can charge much and get away with it, good for them.

Old 07-15-2015   #58
BlackXList

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, you can get a pretty decent 28mm 2.8 lens for 1/10th of the price of a GR as well.

As I keep saying, the main gripe with this camera (as always with anything Leica) is the price. You cannot fault much else with it.
I think I need to be shopping the same places you are haha.

The GR is a niche camera, very much like the Q (I don't think their similarity is a coincidence), but it ticked the boxes for me, and at that price I could justify it.
For me any consideration of the Q would have to take into account that I already own the GR, which pushes it even further out of the picture.

(Plus I'm getting quite attached to my GR) haha

Old 07-16-2015   #59
willie_901

I really don't care about the prices.

I care about the cost-to-benfit ratio.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-16-2015   #60
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
I really don't care about the prices.

I care about the cost-to-benfit ratio.
I'm with Willie. Whenever I spent money on luxury I never regretted it, but when I cheaped out I often had remorse. Why would I want to cheat myself, and over the long term I remain satisfied.

Cal

Old 07-16-2015   #61
mabelsound

For my own uses, I think I'm going to pick up an X100T, as I prefer the focal length and optical VF, and it's vastly cheaper.

BUT, I messed around with a Q for ten minutes the other day, and holy moses, it's really nice. Super fast and quiet, feels like an M in the hand. If you are accustomed to shooting a Leica with a fast 28 for street and want to move to digital, this thing is for you. It's marvelous. I can totally see the appeal.

Some people only really shoot with a 28, and this is for them.

The guy at the Leica store in SoHo responded to my request with "Yeah, I know. Everybody who walks through that door is here to try the Q."

Old 07-17-2015   #62
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
I think I need to be shopping the same places you are haha.

The GR is a niche camera, very much like the Q (I don't think their similarity is a coincidence), but it ticked the boxes for me, and at that price I could justify it.
For me any consideration of the Q would have to take into account that I already own the GR, which pushes it even further out of the picture.

(Plus I'm getting quite attached to my GR) haha
I understand... I use the GR as well. It is the reason why the Q appeals to me. With the GR, I have learned to love the 28mm focal length. The Q should be a step up and should be closer to my FF cameras I'm used to these days. Plus, I was disappointed with the updated GR. That said, the GR will remain my jacket pocket camera.

Old 07-17-2015   #63
f16sunshine

Quote:
I understand... I use the GR as well. It is the reason why the Q appeals to me. With the GR, I have learned to love the 28mm focal length. The Q should be a step up and should be closer to my FF cameras I'm used to these days. Plus, I was disappointed with the updated GR. That said, the GR will remain my jacket pocket camera.
The GR has definitely changes how I use a wide angle and that 28mm pov in particular.
I never thought composing in an lcd would be so useful.
I think it's the size too .... So compact and lightweight.
Balancing and steadying the camera away from ones eye is easy and comfortable.
Trying to use a fuji x camera with an 18mm and lcd is not the same.
Since you've used the GR, I'm curious to read your thoughts on comparing it to the Q when you get it.

Old 07-17-2015   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
The GR has definitely changes how I use a wide angle and that 28mm pov in particular. I never thought composing in an lcd would be so useful.
I feel I only like composing with an LCD with lenses that are 28mm and wider... and I think the one handed operation of the GR helps you feel comfortable with it away from your eye.

Old 07-17-2015   #65
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
I feel I only like composing with an LCD with lenses that are 28mm and wider... and I think the one handed operation of the GR helps you feel comfortable with it away from your eye.
John,

This makes sense to me. At 28mm FOV you start to get that all at once view.

Cal

Old 07-18-2015   #66
giellaleafapmu

I rather do not understand why Leica products seem to attract this kind of comment so often. It is a professional camera with quite unique characteristics and high but not impossible price, if someone can make money with it, likes it, feels inspired by it or is a dentist then why not buy (joking, the people who are both dentist AND great photorapher need not feel offended)? To me there are so many other products which makes little or no sense but don't get much comments for not being Leica. For instance, is it really worth spending almost 6,000 US$ to get a Nikon D4s and have few MPX more and one frame/sec more than a D3? Still, the product is there, used by many. The more is produces the more choice we have.

GLF

Old 07-19-2015   #67
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by giellaleafapmu View Post

For instance, is it really worth spending almost 6,000 US$ to get a Nikon D4s and have few MPX more and one frame/sec more than a D3? Still, the product is there, used by many. The more is produces the more choice we have.

GLF
If you are a professional, or even an enthusiastic amateur, sport photographer it does. The D4s has approximately a one-stop signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range advantage over the D3. This alone makes life easier and in the right hands produces superior images.

Disclaimer: I don't do sports/action photography and sold all my Nikon DSLR equipment in 2014.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-19-2015   #68
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
If you are a professional, or even an enthusiastic amateur, sport photographer it does. The D4s has approximately a one-stop signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range advantage over the D3. This alone makes life easier and in the right hands produces superior images.

Disclaimer: I don't do sports/action photography and sold all my Nikon DSLR equipment in 2014.
Well, ok, I cannot be sure as I just tried the camera once at a shop and probably most of the people using the camera did not buy the camera themselves anyway but I know people who spent their own money for it without particular reasons I can see (not claiming they don't exist) and this was actually my point: there is always someone who appreciate things we don't so there is little to "get" about the Q (I am answering the original question not your message), if someone likes and can afford it then there no reason not to buy it.

GLF

Old 07-20-2015   #69
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by giellaleafapmu View Post
...this was actually my point: there is always someone who appreciate things we don't so there is little to "get" about the Q (I am answering the original question not your message), if someone likes and can afford it then there no reason not to buy it.

GLF
I agree in full.

I guess I don't associate the "get" with appreciation. I decided the Q is redundant for my needs. At the same time I have used fixed-lens cameras and my daily carry (which happens to have a non-RF optical finder) will have the same lens attached to it for months. I appreciate the Q, but I don't "get' the cost:benefit value.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-20-2015   #70
Mcary

I get and can appreciate it, but its just not for me.
Not work safe

Old 07-20-2015   #71
Michael Markey

One sold on the used market in the UK for approx $3813.

Old 07-21-2015   #72
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
One sold on the used market in the UK for approx $3813.
Great price for a hot camera... I can't seem to find any for a normal price ($4250).

Old 07-21-2015   #73
Michael Markey

Yep. It doesn't seem to have hung around. Sold quickly.

Old 07-30-2016   #74
richard_l

People talk a lot about the 35mm mode of the Q, which is perfectly feasible, but how many actually use it? The large majority of online photos I've seen really look as if they are 28mm. There's nothing wrong with that, and it can be spectacular, but it isn't me. I think there may be a psychological barrier to using only a portion of the full sensor on such an expensive camera, and if I owned a Q, I too might be tempted to succumb to the lure of using the full sensor, in spite of my aesthetic aversion to being stuck at that focal length.

Old 07-30-2016   #75
KismetSky

I've used the 35mm "crop" mode on the Q plenty and it serves as a great guide. The best part is the raw file retains the full 28mm frame so you can recrop to your liking after the fact. Lightroom imports it as shot and hitting the crop button reveals the rest of the DNG. The EVF superimposes the framelines over the whole view so it very much mimics a rangefinder's framelines. I've shot with the 50mm framelines and recropped to an approximate 40mm with great success.