Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus SP shutter speed adjustment noise
Old 07-11-2016   #1
YorkshireLuchador

Olympus SP shutter speed adjustment noise

Hi all, new to the forum and have my first question. I have been after an SP for some time now and took a punt on one on ebay. It seems to be in great condition, lens and viewfinder are very clear. I have yet to test the meter as my new battery is at home, so fingers crossed for that, that is what I am most nervous about! First thing I noticed is when I turn the shutter speed dial on the lens, it makes a little sound that is like the self timer. Is this normal?

Any help or tips of what else to check for would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to becoming more active on this forum now I finally have a rangefinder

Old 07-11-2016   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

Mine did that too. I think it's just a function of the Seiko shutter's design. I found the shutter one of the least appealing parts of the camera - nothing wrong with it functionally, mind you, but just not particularly smooth.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 07-12-2016   #3
YorkshireLuchador

Hey thanks a lot O2Pilot, I managed to find another post on another forum, seems it is totally normal. I replaced the battery last night and cleaned the camera up a bit, seems to be working beautifully, the light meter seems to be working, let's see how the first roll turns out!

Old 07-12-2016   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I'm not familiar with the specifics of that camera but it is worth noting that some designs will wind the escapement as the slower speeds are selected with enough vigour to produce a noise akin to the sound they make when they are running off. The Zeiss Icarex and certain older DDR cameras come to mind. It's simply the noise the mechanism produces as certain speed ranges are selected on the dial. As long as it is running well at all its speeds, personally I would not be concerned about it.