Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina RF

Kodak Retina RF This forum is for the 35mm Kodak Retinas, known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses.

Cases for Retina Ia and IIa
Old 06-02-2016   #1
thawkins
thawkins

Cases for Retina Ia and IIa

I own and use a Ia and IIa with some regularity. The leather cases for both cameras are in remarkably poor condition. Where or to whom should I go to have said cases repaired or new ones made? Eagerly awaiting all your learned responses.

Old 06-04-2016   #2
AZPhotog
Keith S

I recently purchased a really decent, less-than-moderately-worn case off eBay for my earlier acquisition of a nice Retina IIIc. It even had the rare Light Mask accessory stored in its little retention area in the top of the case. (The seller may or may not have known about it. Who knows.)

If your cases are in really poor condition, no amount of repair will be less than the cost of simply finding a better one. I suggest keeping your eyes open for an eBay offering, as one possibility. It may take a while.

I have seen a few cases there for various Retina RF cameras where the cases varied from worn out junk to some very nicely preserved items.

The case I obtained through eBay was $18 with a few dollars more for shipping.

HINT:
The camera retention screw did not have any method of being retained to the case, BUT a 'C' clip I had fit the shaft of the screw wonderfully. So now there is no way the screw can get separated from the case and potentially lost.

Old 06-05-2016   #3
julio1fer

Often the problem with old cases is that the thread dies but the leather is still OK. If that is your case (no pun intended) a leather artisan will be able to rethread it. I have been lucky with guys that make or repair women's purses.

Old 06-05-2016   #4
AZPhotog
Keith S

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio1fer View Post
Often the problem with old cases is that the thread dies but the leather is still OK. If that is your case (no pun intended) a leather artisan will be able to rethread it. I have been lucky with guys that make or repair women's purses.
Good point, julio1fer.

If that is indeed the case, you might try a local shoe repair shop.

A local Korean-run Tailor shop who modifies my jeans for me also does some types of leather work, so you might also try that.

Old 06-06-2016   #5
thawkins
thawkins

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio1fer View Post
The worn out threads are the problem. The rest of the cases while worn are still intact. Another respondent suggested a shoe shop. We have a good one in our town so I think I will pay him a visit tomorrow and see what he can do. Thanks for your responses.