Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Frank Jackson on Street Photography

Frank Jackson on Street Photography I am happy and excited to announce a new RFF forum on Street Photography mentored by Frank Jackson, one of the best producers of analog B/W prints I have ever seen. His shows include the Open Shutter Gallery, Heriard-Cimino Gallery, and Ogden Museum of Southern Art. His images are in the collections of Smithsonian Ogden Museum of Southern Art, California Afro American Museum and Xavier University New Orleans LA. He has worked for or has been featured with Visa Card, Xerox, UCLA, Eric Owen Moss, Architect, Hasselblad Forum (cover),Gordon Parks, Muhammed Ali, Million Man March Wash. DC, Lionel Hampton, jazz legion photographer , 1995-2002, Stevie Wonder, B+W Magazine (British version) twice, Rangefinder Magazine, Dahon Bicycles, Arelli Wheels, Real Product Design, Automobile Club of Southern California. Frank's online images are at fotographz.500px.com and fotographzfrankjackson.tumblr.com . "While on this diverse photographic journey…I have to say during this whole time my love for fine art black and white photography kept growing. I always found time to shoot in different cities and my own personal work…this has sustained me through some very tough times. As of 2012, with the help of a very good friend I maintain a state-of-the-art dream darkroom. The darkroom helps greatly in the on-going practice of understanding “the light”, being able to process film and print drives me to keep my digital photography “organic”. I’m curious visually and shooting what’s, what on the street feeds this curiosity. Everyday I walk out my front door to “see” the world with a digital camera, a film camera, the “cup” and an open mind (mostly).

One Year Before Gentrification
Old 04-16-2016   #1
giganova

One Year Before Gentrification

This neighborhood in Washington, DC, is already surrounded by $1M condos, places where you can buy $6 lattés, the finest French pastries, custom motorcycles from hipser-beard guys, and the caterpillars are already standing by.

Old 04-16-2016   #2
giganova

Old 04-16-2016   #3
giganova

This guy was high on meth and hallucinating:

Old 04-16-2016   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

An beautiful record of a place that will soon be gone forever. Keep photographing as they move the people out and demolish these places, and build new stuff there. Will be interesting to see the changes over time.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 04-17-2016   #5
kuvvy

Great stuff. As Chris says, keep shooting there as it will be a good project.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 04-17-2016   #6
nickthetasmaniac

I spent a while living in one of the old working class suburbs of inner-city Sydney as it went through the final stages of gentrification. It's a strange to have run-down old terraces selling for $2m AUD or more, while you still have council housing estates across the road.

Fantastic photos!
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-17-2016   #7
presspass
filmshooter

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Will you be putting together an exhibit? Please keep us posted and update this thread.

Old 04-17-2016   #8
Fuchs

Grat pictures. Thanks
My flickr

Old 04-20-2016   #9
airfrogusmc

Good record of a soon to change place.

Old 04-20-2016   #10
oftheherd

It looks more run down than the last time I was there, but I haven't been there in several years even though I only work about a mile from there. The family and I used to go there at least once a month or so back in the late 80's. Very interesting place and not so bad prices on Korean and Chinese foods, wholesale but also retail. We would try to stock up on things we wanted until our next visit. I think we used to park near or sometimes at the dock you show in the second photo.

The last time the wife and I were there it seemed to have shifted more to mid-eastern foods, which is not our thing. It looks like a lot of the stores have closed anyway.

The shift is understandable, there are many Korean and some Chinese supermarkets in the DMV. Many of them also sell African and mid-eastern foods. Hard competition as some of the supermarkets will also sell wholesale to local mom and pop stores (the few there are anymore) and restaurants.

Great shots. I really liked #1 and #7 in the first set, and #1, #2, and #4 in the second set. I had taken some of some of the more unusual shops, like a tofu factory and a miller shop, as well as some other places and the general hubbub. Unfortunately they didn't survive a house fire. I hope you will post more.