Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

Opinion on binocular vs monocular focusing hood for 4x5
Old 04-04-2016   #1
kmallick

Opinion on binocular vs monocular focusing hood for 4x5

I am looking for your personal opinion on a binocular vs monocular focusing hood for a 4x5 view camera. I am looking to get one of these for my Toyota 45CF and could use some good advice.

I like the idea of getting a monocular one that folds up for easy carrying. But I can see the advantage of focusing with both eyes as well.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2016   #2
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

I have a sinar (binocular) one, and a Arca 4x5 SLR (which has a monocular hood). I find the latter more comfortable - but that may be due to the fact that I (have to) use either with progressive glasses.

Old 04-18-2016   #3
oftheherd

Harbor Freight has a binocular close up device you wear on your head. I use it for many things including looking at ground glass. It does require a dark cloth or good covers such as on folding 9x12. It won't look as sexy as the two you show, but it works and is a lot less expensive.