Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

apple question
Old 04-15-2016   #1
back alley
IMAGES

apple question

talking about apple ipads here...how many ipad users use both wireless and cellular?

ok, 2 questions...is it worth the upgrade from original mini to mini 4 or even the smaller pro?

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 04-15-2016   #2
CK Dexter Haven

I have an original Air, WiFi only. I don't take the iPad places where i'd want to use it with cellular, and in the rare occasions when i do, i can easily just tether it to my iPhone.

I have been considering upgrading to a more current model, but only if/because the newer ones have more RAM, and i read that would prevent each web page from reloading when i select them from the multiple tabs i always have open.

Old 04-15-2016   #3
ramosa

I have had three iPads--and have never gotten the Cellular type. It just wouldn't make sense for how I use it. Almost 100% of the time, I'm using it either at home or at work (and there's free wifeless Internet in both areas). That's what you should ask yourself, in my eyes. How often would you want Internet access when you wouldn't be near a free wireless?

Per your second question, I have always had the "normal" size iPad. My wife, however, has had both normal and mini. She rarely uses the mini--as her usage pattern is similar to mine (see above). The mini just isn't necessary for our needs. YMMV. The normal one can be fit in lots of mid-sized camera bags. The mini would make sense if you were out and about a lot--and would be without a bag that large. I really prefer the normal size for everyday use, perhaps largely because it's what I'm used to.

Old 04-15-2016   #4
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

no need for cellular, you can use personal hotspot from your phone.
Zenfolio Referral Code: ATX-95C-VDZ

Old 04-15-2016   #5
Bill Clark

my wife and I both have iPads, I use the mini, both with the Retina display. For my old eyes, I like it!

The trouble is it doesn't spell very well as my fingers hit the wrong letter! Ha.

We both have the wifi only units. Matter of fact, with our iPhones we can bypass T cell service and use wifi.

Wifi is all that is necessary with iPad.

Thinking, next time, getting the largest one.

Old 04-15-2016   #6
marcr1230

I would not upgrade to the latest mini now - either go with the larger pro ( not the huge one)
or wait for the next mini update - it's due for a refresh and the mini is getting slow on the latest OS

I have the WiFi + Cell , rarely use the cell service but it's almost free

you can hotspot the phone but it eats the battery (of the phone)

Old 04-15-2016   #7
Richard G

Cellular. Free Wifi is not everywhere in Melbourne. If I go to the carwash or the cafe near work I can read the paper or something else. That costs me $150 per year. I now have a new phone plan with free data sharing SIMs. So next January I just put the spare SIM in my iPad and have cellular for 'nothing'. The phone plan is cheaper than my previous phone plan. I was keeping a spare phone and SIM for holidays and weekends away when I would use an Ericsson device to give the family a WiFi network. My kids would regularly overuse and that would cost me, and then I would forget to turn off the temporary data plan. Now the second data sharing SIM will go in the Ericsson device. So if I buy another iPad (currently iPad Air 2[?]) I would definitely want cellular capacity. I don't know what an hour of Personal Hotspot from my phone would do to the battery in the phone. It would be satisfactory I presume, but slightly less convenient.

Old 04-15-2016   #8
ColSebastianMoran

My bro-in-law uses Cellular all the time. For me never. Depends on your usage profile.

The Retina display iPads are terrific. You pick the size you like. I think the "regular" size is the best thing around for showing photos to others.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 04-15-2016   #9
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
I have an original Air, WiFi only. I don't take the iPad places where i'd want to use it with cellular, and in the rare occasions when i do, i can easily just tether it to my iPhone. ...
Same here, essentially. I have an original iPad, stuck on iOS 5, with cellular that I used only briefly on a trip. So when I got an original Mini, it was Wi-Fi only, and that's been fine. The Mini is so easy to carry and use while traveling, it's been a real pleasure. It fits fully into the back pocket of my camera bag, handy for air travel. This year I got a iPad Air Retina 2 with the works, and I don't use cell data on it... ATT wants $10/mo to add a device to the account, not worth it for me.

I think my usage varies from the norm, though... When traveling I have my laptop along for internet access, mail, etc. I don't like dealing with text on the iPads, so they're primarily for entertainment: books, movies, music, games.

Old 04-15-2016   #10
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
talking about apple ipads here...how many ipad users use both wireless and cellular?

ok, 2 questions...is it worth the upgrade from original mini to mini 4 or even the smaller pro?
Only wifi here, but then I hate cell phones to begin with (even a land line makes it too easy for people to "get in touch" with me

However, even if you don't get one, I'd suggest taking a look at the just released 9.7" iPad Pro, the smaller one. And I mean look at one in your hand in the store, not just specs. It has some capabilities the larger iPad Pro lacks, the screen is superb, it's fast, and, as much as I hate "devices" for taking photos, this thing does really well, for what it is. Ridiculously high quality slow motion video as well. (I was looking at it as a coaching aid.)
I thought it was a pretty big jump in quality, ipadwise. YMMV

Old 04-15-2016   #11
ColSebastianMoran

My bro-in-law uses Cellular all the time. For me never. Depends on your usage profile.

The Retina display iPads are terrific. You pick the size you like. I think the "regular" size is the best thing around for showing photos to others.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 04-15-2016   #12
SausalitoDog

Joe-

I have both and don't use the cellular a lot but when you need it, you need it. On many plans in USA you can have a plan with a deposit and then just buy data daily or weekly if you need it. Used to be $30 per month for unlimited but never really needed that, so I love the new plans.

I was looking at the pro models today and decided not to upgrade right now. The big one is just too big for most iPad use and the small one has a keyboard that is too small...but they are really cool and the pen is cool.

I would say it is definitely worth upgrading to mini 4 - much faster, better screen and thumb touch for passwords make it worthwhile.

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 04-15-2016   #13
Tejasican

Had an the iPad 2 early on, wireless only. Found the Mini2 that I picked up later with cellular more useful due to weight and connectivity, but it hit the tile floor a short while ago and did not fair well. Having the mini as a large google maps display for navigating the vagaries of city traffic was really nice. Couldn't do that with wireless only. I am doing some illustration work I got the smaller pro with the pencil to replace the mini and really like it. Wasn't sure I would before I got it. Using Astopad and Apple pencil for photoediting is something I am working out. Way, way faster performance than either of my previous pads.

Old 04-15-2016   #14
back alley
IMAGES

i had a notebook that never left the house.
bought an iPad mini and took it everywhere.
used wireless and connected to iPhone if i had to...it worked ok.
thinking of a trip to nyc in september and using the mini for post work and posting to net...my old eyes like the idea of a bigger iPad but the mini fits into so many more bags and pockets...
i think a trip to the apple store is in order to see for myself.

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 04-16-2016   #15
willie_901

WiFi only. I would use my iPhone as a hotspot.

In my life it's rare that cell access has value.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-16-2016   #16
BLKRCAT
100% Film

Mini Retina Wifi Only.

Old 04-16-2016   #17
Glenn2

Have heard that only the cellular capable iPads have a built in GPS, the wifi models apparently use those signals for positioning which isn't as accurate. I assume a wifi only model wouldn't work for positioning in the boondocks away from signals.

A lot of apps I use need accurate location so I went with the cellular model even though the sim isn't used. At least the capability is there if it's needed.

Glenn

Old 04-16-2016   #18
f16sunshine

You can always hang on for the next model. I would say if you have the original Mini, the Mini4 is a worthy upgrade.
I just Upgraded my moms to a full spec Mini a month ago. Even after a month of photos and videos there are over 100GB available.
The wifi connection is faster and screen is much sharper.
The whole thing just runs better overall.
Originally I went into the store thinking I would get her a new 9.7" Pro model.
The Mini is just such a perfect size. Unless you are a real "power" user or want the 12MP Camera vs 8MP in the mini4, the pro is a bit big imo.

The original we got her had cellular. We only bought pre-paid chips when she goes to visit family in Switzerland.
At home in Seattle wifi is everywhere or one can tether to iPhone easily.