Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha 7 / NEX Mirrorless > Sony A7 Series - All Models

View Poll Results: A7 or A7 II
A7 + $400 24 25.26%
A7 II 71 74.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2014   #41
bigdave43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
A7 is close to my ideal camera to use with legacy lenses.
I don't shoot sports, super-fast cars, or UFO, so I can live without IBIS.

Let the price of A7 come down to my range with more people getting the II version.
Legacy lenses was my main reason for getting the A7R. The focus peeking and magnify functions make using manual lenses easy, unlike dslr's. Since then I have discovered a bunch of other benefits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7 Canon 35f2.jpg (37.2 KB, 33 views)

Old 11-30-2014   #42
Shac

At my age IBIS is a benefit for almost any focal length MF lens

Old 11-30-2014   #43
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
A7 is close to my ideal camera to use with legacy lenses.
I don't shoot sports, super-fast cars, or UFO, so I can live without IBIS.
IBIS is not useful for any of the items you mention. So it would seem that if you do not shoot that, it would be useful to you.

What IBIS does is allow you to use much lower shutter speeds (up to four stops lower) handheld than you would normally be able to, for any given lens.

So, say you have a 50mm lens, the normal rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the lens focal length is your slowest shutter speed before camera shake kicks in. In this case it would be 1/60 sec. IBIS can drop that speed down to 1/8 sec, handheld.

It has nothing to do with capturing/freezing a subject's motion.

Shots that before you would need a tripod for can now be taken hand held. The only reason I see to get an A7 is if you cannot afford the A7II.

Old 11-30-2014   #44
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
IBIS is not useful for any of the items you mention. So it would seem that if you do not shoot that, it would be useful to you.

What IBIS does is allow you to use much lower shutter speeds (up to four stops lower) handheld than you would normally be able to, for any given lens.

So, say you have a 50mm lens, the normal rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the lens focal length is your slowest shutter speed before camera shake kicks in. In this case it would be 1/60 sec. IBIS can drop that speed down to 1/8 sec, handheld.

It has nothing to do with capturing/freezing a subject's motion.

Shots that before you would need a tripod for can now be taken hand held. The only reason I see to get an A7 is if you cannot afford the A7II.
I can consistently get sharp shots with a 50mm lens on my A7 at 1/8, with the electronic front curtain on. 1/4 is a bit trickier, but taking 3-4 shots I can usually get one sharp frame.

IBIS is for people with shaky hands Also, there are plenty of reasons to stick with the A7. The A7 is lighter, thinner, and easier to buy accessories for.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 11-30-2014   #45
goo0h

I thought I read somewhere that the m2 has more bits of raw data.....

Me on flickr.

Old 11-30-2014   #46
bigdave43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo0h View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the m2 has more bits of raw data.....
Yes, it has 14bit processor like the A7R.

Old 11-30-2014   #47
jloden

There's a few reasons that tipped the balance for me to being interested in the A7II:

1) Bigger grip and improved front dial/shutter location, including a more ergonomic battery grip.
2) Additional function buttons
3) Improved weather sealing and sturdier mount (better sealing doesn't hurt, and I have noticed the wiggle with some lenses).
4) Faster AF
5) IBIS

I'm hoping the AF improvements are worthwhile in particular, since I use E-mount lenses for the wide and tele range.

For adapted rangefinder lenses I'm also interested in seeing if the performance is any better than the A7 (not expecting anything, but you never know).

Of course IBIS will be a nice bonus, but IMO it's not the most interesting feature. It only helps with static subjects and the Sony FE zooms are well stabilized already in any case. I'm happy to have it, but it's actually less exciting to me than better ergonomics and AF performance.

Old 12-01-2014   #48
bwcolor

All of your reasons make waiting for the January/February introduction of the Sony A9 all the more attractive. I suspect that we can add more phase detection points, yet faster autofocus, high mpix and probably at least as good high ISO. I would expect more battery capacity, 4K recording and probably dual memory slots. I would save the money and buy the A7, or wait.

Old 12-01-2014   #49
goo0h

yeah, and I bet the "a9" will be significantly more expensive.

Me on flickr.

Old 12-02-2014   #50
goo0h

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/newss...l-sony-lenses/

apparently the image stabilization is also used to clean dust off of the sensor.

Me on flickr.

Old 12-02-2014   #51
goo0h

I wonder if the body design alters in any way the ease of accidentally changing the ISO. That happened to me more than once the brief time I tried out the cameras, and must admit found that to be a bit annoying. Probably could have gotten use to it, though.

Me on flickr.

Old 12-02-2014   #52
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I wonder if the body design alters in any way the ease of accidentally changing the ISO. That happened to me more than once the brief time I tried out the cameras, and must admit found that to be a bit annoying. Probably could have gotten use to it, though.
Easy fix: take ISO off the direct dial where it is assigned by default.

G

Old 12-11-2014   #54
Mephiloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
All of your reasons make waiting for the January/February introduction of the Sony A9 all the more attractive. I suspect that we can add more phase detection points, yet faster autofocus, high mpix and probably at least as good high ISO. I would expect more battery capacity, 4K recording and probably dual memory slots. I would save the money and buy the A7, or wait.
I'd put money on an A9 not having 4k recording, dual memory slots, or the high iso. Maybe higher ISO, but not on the level of the A7S.

In my opinion I think Sony has done a good thing with their current fragmentation of the A7. The A7 could be considered almost an 'enthusiast' full frame or 'entry level' full frame. $1200 for a full frame with the features it has is pretty great. Need more mpixels? Get the R. Need a really amazing camera? Get the S.

Personally I think the high iso capabilities of the A7S are more impressive than the IS on the A7 II. I love being able to use my Elmar-C, my Elmar, my slow CV lenses, etc at night. There's no reason to own fast lenses for me anymore except for my film Leicas, which I never use now that I got the A7S.

Old 12-13-2014   #55
Huss

Quote:
yes they fixed that. need to push in the iso button first, then rotate the dial.

Old 12-15-2014   #56
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Really? I found the R to be the worst of them all. First camera I actually sent back.
Worse in what way? Each A7 has its advantages and you choose the one that fits what you want to do.

Old 12-15-2014   #57
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
Well, Sony said the camera divisions aren't working together, I put my money on my guess: it is developed in house at Sony. But of course I don't know either.... you're right on that.
It seems that you won the bet !!

http://www.43rumors.com/sony-a7ii-5-...-with-olympus/

Old 12-16-2014   #58
Addy101

Thank you sir, I will celebrate my with my winnings
Interesting article btw.

Old 12-31-2014   #59
goo0h

renting the a7m2 now, after earlier this year renting all the others (but not at same time.) must say the apparent build quality and finish makes it feel much more like a real camera, and not a prototype.

Me on flickr.

Old 12-31-2014   #60
Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeker View Post
So, given that they're discount the A7 $400-, which would you go for, if buying now? Are the in-body IS and the other tweaks worth the extra?
Yes, absolutely, if you're shooting alt lenses. IBIS alone would be worth it. If you're shooting Sony lenses with in-lens stabilization, it's more debatable.

Old 01-01-2015   #61
meeker

Yeah, I'm pretty set on the A7II - will order one when they're back in stock, along with a nice novoflex NEX/LEM adapter. I'm in two minds about picking up the kit lens for an extra $300 though. $300 that could go towards a nice 55mm f1.8 sonnar.

My flickr

Old 01-05-2015   #62
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeker View Post
a nice 55mm f1.8 sonnar.
so, do folks still lean towards the 55/1.8, or is the Loxia 50/2 worth considering?

I myself already have the ZM 50/2, though it's needing a CLA. Still, have to admit that when manually focusing the 55/1.8 it's kinda cool how the camera automatically goes into focus assist mode.

Me on flickr.

Old 01-23-2015   #63
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.

Will there be an A7sII?

Old 03-14-2015   #64
Huss

Also, the A7ii suffers from sensor reflections far less than the A7.

Old 03-14-2015   #65
craygc

Given I just picked myself up an A7II that pretty much tells my voting preference...

One of the dislikes I have had about the Sony E mount cameras (also have a 5N) has been the lack of range control around shutter speeds minimums when using auto ISO. In comparison, I really like the TAv mode of the Ricoh GR that allows you to set aperture and shutter speed and have auto ISO adjust. I can now do the same with the A7II as it allows you to select auto ISO when in "M" mode.

Old 03-18-2015   #66
burancap

My II and 28-70 kit is "out for delivery."

Looking forward to it.

Old 12-01-2015   #67
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijmendal View Post
I'd like to know this too. i've only shot with the A7s, which is supposed to sound better than the A7(r), but it was still like a bomb going off.

from what I recall when I played with a A7II earlier this year, it sounds identical as the A7.
The R is definitely the loudest.

now in terms of A7II vs A7, I would go for a used A7 and use the money somewhere else.
But if you want to use longer lens, 75mm and longer, then IBIS may be beneficial but not really required unless you shoot in low light condition.
I used my A7 with a 135mm 2.8 AIS, 200mm 4 AIS and a FD 100-300 with good success and planning to also use them on my M240.

Old 12-05-2015   #68
ColSebastianMoran

Have both.
- II is bigger, heavier, feels more massive in the hands
- IBIS really works
- Other improvements seem minor.

You probably know whether IBIS will help you. If you like the A7, or the A6000-size cameras, go hold the A7 II in your hands before deciding.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 12-06-2015   #69
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
so, do folks still lean towards the 55/1.8, or is the Loxia 50/2 worth considering?

I myself already have the ZM 50/2, though it's needing a CLA. Still, have to admit that when manually focusing the 55/1.8 it's kinda cool how the camera automatically goes into focus assist mode.
Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is a great lens by any measure and works perfectly with current cameras. It's a win in my book.

What would show us that the Loxia is better? If you are going to go manual focus, there are a lot of lenses to choose from.

In Classifieds Now: Konica Auto S2, Voigtlander VC Meter II, and a pair of XA-2's
Giveaway: Voigtlander Vitoret, Point-N-Shoots
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 12-08-2015   #70
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
I can now do the same with the A7II as it allows you to select auto ISO when in "M" mode.
The A7 already did that...

Old 12-28-2015   #71
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Worse in what way? Each A7 has its advantages and you choose the one that fits what you want to do.
Sry did not see this earlier.

The A7r vignettes alot, shifts color alot and the FC or smear seemed worse than A7.

I liked the plain A7 much better, but it still became a shelf queen because of the thick sensor cover. Not only did the M wides and 35s shoot poorly, so did the SLR lenses I tried. They were better than the A7r, but when I compared the files to M9, my Jaw dropped and I just found one. I still shot some long lenses on the A7. But then the Kolari mod appeared and I jumped on it, getting one of the first.

That mod does alot more for the A7 than the A7r, I think. It removes the AA filter. So the improvement is pretty striking. Now I use the camera very often.

I would not trade my A7.mod for the A7r2, although that camera does not vignette or shift color much. Now if I was made of money, I would mod the r2 and the s2. And also buy an SL and 007. And get one of those Rx1r2s too.