Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-11-2013   #41
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,402
A friend of mine bought the White Stripes Holga for his wife ... that was pretty cool actually.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013   #42
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS
 
kdemas's Avatar
 
kdemas is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,739
I'm embarrassed to admit I bought a La Sardinia with cork cover the other day for 50% off. Fun little toy.

My Diana Mini, my only Lomo camera before this purchase, is very flaky with film advance. "Quality" items they are not
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
Open Iris. Life, Captured.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013   #43
Bill58
Native Texan
 
Bill58's Avatar
 
Bill58 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Korea
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwasoyokaze View Post
I wanted to go the branch in Seoul but that one closed down recently too. I don't how well it is doing but I always thought LOMO was strong in the Asia. Hopefully the one in HK doesnt close down too.

There is at least one store in Chunmurro, on the South side of the main street in "movie town" that still carries them. You can see them displayed in the window.
__________________
My images of a strange land-So. Korea:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrs111445/
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013   #44
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Every film story is overblown on RFF!
Serious or joking, that's sad coming from a moderator of this forum.
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013   #45
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 43
Posts: 18,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Serious or joking, that's sad coming from a moderator of this forum.
I'm sorry you feel I cannot be honest because I'm a moderator.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013   #46
ncc1701
Registered User
 
ncc1701's Avatar
 
ncc1701 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 87
Whatever their quality is, they are a good thing for us. Hipsters who get motivated to shoot film, can graduate to real gear and keep our love alive longer. I feel this is sad news in the long run.

I'm actually having fun with the belair-x 6-12, it supposedly has a two year warranty, with no stores I may be SOL when it breaks, and it will. I'm not gentle with my gear.

Oh, and JSrocket, your comment in now way sad, honesty is a good thing. I agree, we all scream "Fire, Fire" when there's a death of film thread. Just hoard film, and keep shooting, it's the way it's goin and bitching won't hold back the inevitable. There are not enough of us to pay their bills.
__________________
Leica CL, Bessa R3A, Hexar AF, Canon QL17 - Leica M8, Olympus OM-D
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013   #47
vdonovan
Vince Donovan
 
vdonovan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 488
I hope I didn't help make this a "death of film" thread or a Lomography-bashing thread. I think Lomography is a great company with great products ("great" in the sense of fun, clever, and interesting). They have done an AMAZING job of marketing analog photography, and I'm sure (and I hope!) they will continue to do so for a long time to come. I feel like they have had a big hand in the recent growth in film sales: http://www.pdexposures.tv/americans-...-film-in-2012/

They made a bad business decision in going aggressively into retail, but they are taking the difficult steps required to recover from that decision. To me, this speaks well of the management of Lomography and the long-term prospects of the company. Their products are not necessarily right for our store, but I'm VERY glad that Lomography exists and i wish them well.
__________________

Vince Donovan
Portrait Photographer
San Francisco, CA
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013   #48
alienmeatsack
Registered User
 
alienmeatsack's Avatar
 
alienmeatsack is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 739
FWIW... Lomography has introduced a new "camera" today, the Konstruktor. It's a 35mm SLR kit camera that looks to be similar to some of the TLR kits out there.

Single aperture, one shutter speed (1/80th) plus a Bulb mode, waist level viewing system. I ordered one because I am curious and it was surprisingly cheap for a Lomography camera. But I am honestly expecting it to be flimsy and probably break within a short time. Still it will be fun to try.
__________________
I own too many cameras to list.
My Flickr, Lomography, & Oggl galleries.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #49
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness
 
kaiwasoyokaze's Avatar
 
kaiwasoyokaze is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Busan/ HK/ Vancouver
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
There is at least one store in Chunmurro, on the South side of the main street in "movie town" that still carries them. You can see them displayed in the window.

Thanks! think i will be making the trip to seoul soon. is that the one on the second floor?
__________________
http://kaiwasoyokaze.tumblr.com/
Analogue in Busan

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #50
mwoenv
Registered User
 
mwoenv is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Monroe, NY
Age: 62
Posts: 340
It's unfortunate as they helped introduce young people to film. Hopefully, some really liked using film and discovered they can get a "real" 1970s-80s manual focus camera (e.g., Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, Canon) in great condition for the same cost.
__________________
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #51
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 43
Posts: 18,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoenv View Post
It's unfortunate as they helped introduce young people to film. Hopefully, some really liked using film and discovered they can get a "real" 1970s-80s manual focus camera (e.g., Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, Canon) in great condition for the same cost.
Been seeing more 20 year olds with older SLRs than lomo stuff these days in NYC. In fact the last lomo type camera I saw in action was used by a tourist on Wall St.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #52
zuiko85
Registered User
 
zuiko85 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,442
Vince, so sorry to hear about the Diana Mini. I had considered getting one from Freestyle Photo but this has changed my mind. I really like half frame but even at Freestyle's price of $35 I would expect it to work out of the box and last more than two or three rolls of film.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #53
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 43
Posts: 18,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Vince, so sorry to hear about the Diana Mini. I had considered getting one from Freestyle Photo but this has changed my mind. I really like half frame but even at Freestyle's price of $35 I would expect it to work out of the box and last more than two or three rolls of film.
I've owned one that lasted more than 2-3 rolls of film. It is NOT that crappy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #54
zuiko85
Registered User
 
zuiko85 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,442
Tell you folks what I'd really like to see from some outfit like Lomography.

A battery powered, LED enlarger and safe light kit for B&W wet darkroom.

With super bright white LED for the enlarger light source and a 570nm narrow band bright red LED for the safe light

I'm thinking a power pack holding three 'D' cells with a built in electronic timer and two 'mini plug' sockets for the wires from the enlarger and safe light.

It would be very compact and only handle 35mm FF, half frame and 110 negatives.

Of course it would have clip on paper hold down mask's for the baseboard. And could be dismantled and set up easy.

With a 50mm enlarging lens it would have a maximum of 8X enlargement on the base board for FF 35mm negatives. Lens mount should be the 39mm standard.

A staggered plastic rack that holds 4 trays for 8X10 (somewhat like those office bins for plastic 'in' and 'out' trays). Top down they would be; developer-stop-fix-dead water rinse.

If you can black it out you can set it up. Running water optional, after dead water rinse take prints to kitchen for final rinse. (this is where RC paper would simplify your work flow)

This is a crazy idea I know and with a LED white light source would probably only work with graded paper (don't know if they put out the spectrum that would allow for VC paper). Probably not much market now days, but the idea has been bouncing around in my fevered brain for a couple of years now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #55
gb hill
Registered User
 
gb hill's Avatar
 
gb hill is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 57
Posts: 5,787
Lomo has such a huge web based market they don't need stores anyhow. I don't see them as being in any real financial trouble at the moment. There stores remind me of Leica stores. Only placed in niche locations. I wonder how many Leica sales come from their stores compared with B&H or Tamarkin Camera.
__________________
Greg
flickr
instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #56
thegman
Registered User
 
thegman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Tell you folks what I'd really like to see from some outfit like Lomography.

A battery powered, LED enlarger and safe light kit for B&W wet darkroom.

With super bright white LED for the enlarger light source and a 570nm narrow band bright red LED for the safe light

I'm thinking a power pack holding three 'D' cells with a built in electronic timer and two 'mini plug' sockets for the wires from the enlarger and safe light.

It would be very compact and only handle 35mm FF, half frame and 110 negatives.

Of course it would have clip on paper hold down mask's for the baseboard. And could be dismantled and set up easy.

With a 50mm enlarging lens it would have a maximum of 8X enlargement on the base board for FF 35mm negatives. Lens mount should be the 39mm standard.

A staggered plastic rack that holds 4 trays for 8X10 (somewhat like those office bins for plastic 'in' and 'out' trays). Top down they would be; developer-stop-fix-dead water rinse.

If you can black it out you can set it up. Running water optional, after dead water rinse take prints to kitchen for final rinse. (this is where RC paper would simplify your work flow)

This is a crazy idea I know and with a LED white light source would probably only work with graded paper (don't know if they put out the spectrum that would allow for VC paper). Probably not much market now days, but the idea has been bouncing around in my fevered brain for a couple of years now.
Cool idea, I'd consider buying it.
__________________
My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #57
vdonovan
Vince Donovan
 
vdonovan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Been seeing more 20 year olds with older SLRs than lomo stuff these days in NYC. In fact the last lomo type camera I saw in action was used by a tourist on Wall St.
That might have been me! I was there in March, shooting with a Diana Mini!
__________________

Vince Donovan
Portrait Photographer
San Francisco, CA
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #58
vdonovan
Vince Donovan
 
vdonovan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Vince, so sorry to hear about the Diana Mini. I had considered getting one from Freestyle Photo but this has changed my mind. I really like half frame but even at Freestyle's price of $35 I would expect it to work out of the box and last more than two or three rolls of film.
$35 is a pretty good price! We can't get them wholesale at that price. It will last for a few rolls for sure. Another half-frame camera we really like (also sold by Freestyle) is the Golden Half. And it has a hot shoe!
__________________

Vince Donovan
Portrait Photographer
San Francisco, CA
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013   #59
vdonovan
Vince Donovan
 
vdonovan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Tell you folks what I'd really like to see from some outfit like Lomography.

A battery powered, LED enlarger and safe light kit for B&W wet darkroom.

With super bright white LED for the enlarger light source and a 570nm narrow band bright red LED for the safe light

I'm thinking a power pack holding three 'D' cells with a built in electronic timer and two 'mini plug' sockets for the wires from the enlarger and safe light.

It would be very compact and only handle 35mm FF, half frame and 110 negatives.

Of course it would have clip on paper hold down mask's for the baseboard. And could be dismantled and set up easy.

With a 50mm enlarging lens it would have a maximum of 8X enlargement on the base board for FF 35mm negatives. Lens mount should be the 39mm standard.

A staggered plastic rack that holds 4 trays for 8X10 (somewhat like those office bins for plastic 'in' and 'out' trays). Top down they would be; developer-stop-fix-dead water rinse.

If you can black it out you can set it up. Running water optional, after dead water rinse take prints to kitchen for final rinse. (this is where RC paper would simplify your work flow)

This is a crazy idea I know and with a LED white light source would probably only work with graded paper (don't know if they put out the spectrum that would allow for VC paper). Probably not much market now days, but the idea has been bouncing around in my fevered brain for a couple of years now.
I agree this is a crazy but fun idea, one we would love to carry in our store at the right price. We would want a complete package, with RC paper, chemistry, and instructions all included. If this were retail priced around $150, we would probably sell about one a month, and sell a dozen or more during the holidays.
__________________

Vince Donovan
Portrait Photographer
San Francisco, CA
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013   #60
ajb7661
Registered User
 
ajb7661's Avatar
 
ajb7661 is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZF1 View Post
if lomo goes under i better get my order of "purple" film i placed back when it was released...
Haha me too!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:37.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.