Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Point-N-Shoot 35mm Cameras

View Poll Results: Titanium King of P&S world?
Contax T3 191 69.45%
Nikon 35Ti 84 30.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2012   #41
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLewis View Post
Can a T3 owner clear up the shutter lag question? The T2 which I own is from the early days of P&S, when the lens would move into focus only after the shutter was hit, leading to significant shutter lag. Does the T3 have the more modern AF where the lens is focused on the half-depress?

To clear it up once and for all:

1. By default, the T3 extends the lens AFTER the shutter button is pressed. Meanwhile, out of the camera's seven custom functions the CUSTOM FUNCTION 02 allows the user to set the camera to extend its lens while the shutter is HALF-PRESSED.

2. Regardless of the custom function setting, after using the AFL function to have the camera memorize the current focus distance, the lens always extends AFTER the shutter button is pressed.

3. When using the Manual Focus function to preset the focus distance, the lens always extends to the selected distance setting after the first time the shutter is half-pressed and REMAINS SO until power off or the setting is canceled (Custom Function 07)

4. Talking about the shutter lag: it's definitely there, but minor. Although the T3's shutter is not as responsive as the the one on a Snap Mode GR1, when manual focused (with the lens extended all the time) it's still fast enough to capture critical moments, qualifying itself for serious street works.

And yes it is much faster than the T2, especially when auto focusing. To my experience the T3 is one of the fastest focusing P&S camera of its class, second only to the brutal Hexar.

Old 08-06-2012   #42
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by muf View Post
All you peeps talking about shutter lag. Are you all taking sports shots? Because if not, then why is a slight delay causing such a big fuss?
The lag in the t2 and the stylus cameras pretty much cripples them for shooting anything on the move. These are not decisive moment cameras.

The 35ti loses out to the T3 in size only if you ask me. The real strength (and reason I went with the 35ti) is that matrix metering. It is bang on 9.5 out of 10 times.

Old 08-22-2012   #43
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
The lag in the t2 and the stylus cameras pretty much cripples them for shooting anything on the move. These are not decisive moment cameras.
I agree.

Old 08-28-2012   #44
bitfeng

Agree. "Guessestimate" is the key for candid shot. Can shoot at waist level no problem. I am not used to focus with a viewfinder anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Get a Rollei 35. Simple to use. Unobtrusive. Great pix. Used to have a T3. never got used to the menu although the lens was great.

Old 01-13-2013   #45
Nikos72

I love the looks of the Nikon. I have never had any of them so one for the good looking 35Ti from me.

Old 01-17-2013   #46
thegman

Don't own either, but would not be able to turn down those analogue dials on the 35Ti. I'm shallow, I admit it.

Old 01-18-2013   #47
Iver Aldas

T3 vs 35Ti? Oh man, 35Ti is a nothing compared to the infamous T3. Its a joy to have a T3 in your pocket considering the performance and reliability of this camera. Yes there are some flaws like the lack of LCD illumination, settings reset when camera is turned off, and of course the very high market price. We are a creative people and we could always look for solutions on how to overcome these flaws. Overall if you are into quality, performance, and reliability, I would suggest that you go with the T3 and not with any other point and shoot cameras.

Old 01-19-2013   #48
agfa100

Size wins in this contest, the T3. However one that has not been brought up is the last Minox 35 GTE II which is my choice, great little lens and very light. I know the metal feels nicer on the T3 but don't forget the Minox.

Old 01-22-2013   #49
mob81

Consider the fuji klasse S new or used at good prices. Also, it's still serviceable.

I have the Minolta tc-1 and fuji klasse S and both are really great and lenses are great too.

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 01-22-2013   #50
thegman

I used to have a Klasse S, and have now just seen my brother's 35Ti. I must say, the 35Ti is the more appealing, just for those dials. However, my Klasse did break, and Fujifilm fixed it for free, so you can't discount the appeal of a camera still being serviceable.

Old 03-29-2013   #51
matt_mcg2

As per mob81, consider the Fuji Klasse/Klasse S, or Rollei AFM35 (same camera). I've never noticed much shutter lag, the lens is great, and the metering is really accurate. I'd guess I get a higher percentage of 'keepers' from that camera than any other. I think it's slightly bigger than the Contax T2/T3, but other than that, it's a great camera.

Old 03-30-2013   #52
jmpgino

I would not purchase the Nikon model because there are no more spare parts, my shutter went bad on me after less than five rolls. I got it back in 2001, last of the few that were left on sale. Sent it back to Nikon in 2005 and they returned it, saying the shutter was bad and they had no spare parts. The bloody thing was a waste of money, it sits in a drawer awaiting the purchase of a doner but I doubt I will bother. I have two Nikon dig cameras and both of the have issues as well, repair cost for both is higher than their value. So three Nikon cameras and three lemons. My Hasselblad and leica stuff has never failed me, electronic cameras do not hold up in my opinion. I have made my last Nikon purchase for sure and by the way, I am 55 and take superb care of all my purchases.

Old 03-31-2013   #53
Jani_from_Finland

Use both a C/T3 and Y/T5D, the T5 as primary "work camera" mainly due to the small finder on-top and T3 as secondary "work/private camera" while working onboard ships.
Both have excellent top-notch lenses and great auto-features and exposure. The T3 has some limited manual features available.
Both is really great cameras.
Shoot last 2 months only with these 2 cameras, only came out about 6-8 rolls of it, but the work enviroment restricts shooting frames a bit.
Also the Rollei AFM 35 is a really great camera, could i find one for reasonable price, i'll take that one over all cameras as p&s.

CONTAX T3... still THE ONE!
Old 03-31-2013   #54
lytton
LYTTON

CONTAX T3... still THE ONE!

CONTAX T3, hands down on all counts. The size and weight alone are deciding factors. Factor in the ability to use filters, a hood, a lens cap, a cable release, and an external full TTL flash... and you have your answer.

Oh, did I mention the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/35 T* Lens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7540.jpg (42.6 KB, 18 views)

-Lytton

Old 04-01-2013   #55
Jani_from_Finland

Good post about the Fuji Klasse S (aka Rollei AFM 35).
http://www.tallentsblog.com/tallent/Fuji_Klasse_S.html

Old 04-02-2013   #56
Archiver

I'm still tempted to get a Klasse, even though I hardly shoot film. It would be more for the fact of having one of the last film compacts Fuji have made. I believe they are still making the Klasse W, but that can't last for long. I've held a Klasse twice, once in Hong Kong and once in Japan, in a Yodobashi Camera in Osaka, and I've been tempted but never pulled the trigger.

I just realized that I have a few Fujis! I have the Fuji F30, legendary pace-setting compact from 2006; the Fuji Natura Black, another unique film camera; and of course the X10 and X100, all of which are very useful cameras.

Having said that, I'd still go with the Contax T3. Mine is just the awesomeness, but I hardly use it. Heck, I'm wondering if the Sony RX1 will produce comparable 'look' in image due to the Sonnar lens and full frame sensor!

Old 04-04-2013   #57
David_Manning

Love my Contax T3, but don't shoot it a lot anymore. I've shifted to the Sony RX100 and still enjoy compact shooting.

Regarding the RX1...I wonder if using a 35/2.8 instead of a 35/2 would've put the body into the same size range as a film T3? If it's covering the same image circle (35mm film/sensor), why not? THAT would've been killer...and I think Anders Petersen would immediately change to digital

Old 04-20-2013   #58
torn

I was reading something that mentioned the T3 not being able to push film....meaning...you can't set the ISO other than what the film comes as ? Is this a joke?

Old 04-20-2013   #59
Rico

True, you cannot set the ISO as such. However, there are two subterfuges. First, mask the DX contacts on the film cartridge to get ISO 100, or tape an accessory DX label to get your desired ISO. Second, apply an exposure compensation value of ±2 EV in increments of 1/2 or 1/3 which will persist until you change it (even across power cycles).

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Profoto

Old 04-21-2013   #60
torn

Seems like a huge nuisance I can't believe I couldn't find any info on this fact til now. Is there something else around 35-40mm PnS w/ ISO control then?

Old 04-21-2013   #61
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by torn View Post
Seems like a huge nuisance I can't believe I couldn't find any info on this fact til now. Is there something else around 35-40mm PnS w/ ISO control then?
You can set ISO on the Klasse S.

Old 04-21-2013   #62
peterm1

Good lord I recall reading this debate in photo mags 20 years or so back (no internet forums then - how quickly we forget). I cannot say directly. I had the Contax T2 and thought it to be brilliant. It was tack sharp. The T3 was said to be better still but small and a little pockey to handle. Particularly its itsy bitsy buttons. The Nikon was designed superbly though and was a lovely bit of kit to look at and fondle.

Old 05-17-2013   #63
Bruno Gracia

Contax T3, the best P&S ever..

Remeros por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

shadows por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

Starbucks por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

two girls por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

viejecillo por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

Old 05-17-2013   #64
OlliL

Good stuff, Bruno!

...keep it

Old 05-18-2013   #65
Bruno Gracia

Thanks my dear Oliver

Old 06-07-2013   #66
Landberg

Just got this beauty!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35ti.jpg (39.1 KB, 585 views)

Old 06-29-2013   #67
muf

Never liked either of them tbh. I've had two T3's. Sold the first after 3 months, then a couple of years later bought another to see if I made a mistake. What with all the praise it keeps getting. Sold it after one month. Fiddly little thing. Options in the menu that should be on the camera. Smooth and in my opinion, very girlie.

The Nikon is too big, heavy and those annoying flash on/off buttons on the front you have to hold in. OMG, who thought that one up!

The pictures from both, and from all the top high end compacts are so close in quality that it comes down to ergonomics in my view. I never liked either of these camera's for that.

Paul

Old 06-29-2013   #68
raid
Dad Photographer

There was a Nikon 35Ti on sale for $250 at RFF very recently, and I was about to buy it!
I have Contax T2, and this made me GAS-less.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-29-2013   #69
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
There was a Nikon 35Ti on sale for $250 at RFF very recently, and I was about to buy it!
I have Contax T2, and this made me GAS-less.
I think that was my 35Ti ... funny thing is: I am now looking hard at the T3!

Old 07-03-2013   #70
bonatto
looking out

I bought a 35ti that I had to send back due to shutter and advance problems. It's a beautifully executed camera that you can customize to a great extent by programming it correctly ( you can get rid of the panorama frame marks, set a custom flash mode, etc). If to worked, I would have kept it, some test frames looked great! Unfortunately, due to this experience, and seeing how complex it is, I won't be buying another one unless the price is really right.

I have a Rollei AFM 35 that I bought for little money, mint, and it's a keeper. Almost ten years younger than some other P&S cams, great lens, easy to use, and essentially pocketable (jacket pocket). You have to remember to turn the flash off though.

Old 07-03-2013   #71
awilder

Tried both, the T3 was the better camera in terms of IQ ( just slightly), flash and size/weight (more so). The Nikon gives better exposure and framing detail in the viewfinder (something always wanting in the T3/T2) and has a panoramic mode while the T3 doesn't. Both are high quality but a used T3 has always retained a price close to when new while the Nikon, Contax T2 or various TVS iterations have dropped considerably from when new. My only qualm with the T3 was the built-in lens cover as it tended to hang up every so often. Like any used camera, make sure there is a reasonable return policy as they are expensive to service.

Old 08-29-2013   #72
BlackXList

I caved and bought a black T3 the other day (and a Ricoh R1), and I think it's completely cured my compact GAS.

I've held but not shot the Nikon, and in the hand I definitley prefer the T3, (although those 35ti dials are very pretty).

I shot my test roll in the time it took to walk from the camera shop to the car, and got the very impressive results today. I've got a roll of BW400CN in right now and I'm itching to shoot it

Old 01-19-2014   #73
Peter_S

I doubt you will go wrong either way. I never had the Nikon, but can only say the best for the T3. The ratio image quality to size is just amazing.

Cameras come and go, cameras work and break. Exception: The T3, it has been on every major photo projects of mine since 2009 and continues to do so, and has never let me down. The only thing prone to failure is the lens cover blades (I shoot with filter all the time anyway) and the spool teeth (fixed mine myself, all good).

It has weaknesses...like all small point and shoots. The question will be less what is the better camera, but which weaknesses do you think you can easier work around?

Contax T3 samples from the Caucasus in Georgia:

Kodak Chrome Elite, Hasselblad X1 scan.

Ilford FP4+, B+W yellow filter; Hasselblad X1 scan.

Nikon Coolscan LS-8000ED

www.ps-photo.net

Twitter
Voigtländer Photographer
LFI Gallery

Old 01-30-2014   #74
Shab

Great photos Peter...

Old 01-30-2014   #75
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab View Post
Great photos Peter...
^^^

Yeppers.

Old 01-30-2014   #76
damonsong

I still have both T3 and 28Ti. T3 does have better IQ, but there is something special about 28Ti I just have to keep it. The 28Ti has a very different rendering compare to T3, it has a very classic look rather than T3's modern zeiss(sharp) feel. I will share some examples from both so you can see the difference.

T3:

Negative0-18-18(1) by damonsong, on Flickr

Negative0-14-15(1) by damonsong, on Flickr

Negative0-31-31(1).jpg by damonsong, on Flickr

28Ti

Negative0-09-09(1) by damonsong, on Flickr

Negative0-08-8A(1) by damonsong, on Flickr

Negative0-07-07(1) by damonsong, on Flickr

Old 02-04-2014   #77
shortstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLewis View Post
To answer my own question, a reviewer of both who bought the T3 specifically for its reduced shutter lag found that, even with selectable pre-focus, the T3 had a bit of lag and in the end was not significantly different than the T2 in that regard. Apparently, neither come close to the Olympus XA and its wonderfully direct shutter control. With that in mind, I think I'll stick to the T2 and its manual controls, although others like the T3's small size and upgraded lens.
I had two XA. Unbelievable small true RF cameras, but the optics never satisfied me. Now I have a T3 and... the optics is superb. A true film camera. The AF is very fast (I've selected the customized option of having focusing as you press partially the shutter). Anyway since I don't like menus I'd like also try a Contax T (here you can select a hyperfocal distance without pressing buttons).
But I'm anyway happy with T3.
The best PS camera for me.

Old 02-04-2014   #78
waileong

I have T3 and 28Ti.

Nikon = Smarter metering, smarter flash, but more bulky, slow focus, no filter, no hood
T3 = Normal metering, normal flash, smaller, focuses faster and closer, takes filter or hood

Both take great pictures.

Old 05-11-2014   #79
mob81

Here is an example of the Nikon 35Ti Lens.
no sharpening applied to the %100 crop.

ReScan-1 by Mohammed Basamh, on Flickr

My Flickr

My Blog

Old 05-12-2014   #80
GarageBoy

How does the T3 compare to the G1/45 Planar combo?