Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

View Poll Results: Do you shoot JPEGS or RAW with your R-D1? Choose as many as apply to you.
I shoot exclusively JPEG. 14 10.07%
I shoot exclusively RAW. 64 46.04%
I shoot both, but tend to use the RAW file. 37 26.62%
I shoot both, but tend to use the JPEG file. 20 14.39%
I shoot JPEG for monochrome images. 6 4.32%
I shoot JPEGs for "less serious" photographs and RAW for special stuff. 3 2.16%
I choose depending on space left on my card(s). 3 2.16%
I shoot RAW when the exposure is tricky, and JPEG most other times. 4 2.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2013   #41
steveclem

I've never tried it but can you shoot JPEG only on this camera? Presumably by using the Q switch and turning the dial to H or N.
I've always shot both in the past but it's interesting to know if one can choose.

Old 11-11-2013   #42
le-alain

You can chose.

Old 05-31-2014   #43
rbelyell

there is no contest with this camera. if you view raw&jpeg side by side you will easily see which is superior. there is no reason on earth with 6mp to not at least shoot both and make the decision upon comparative review.

Old 06-14-2014   #44
fotomeow
name under my name

I like to shoot in B&W, and am not a post-production pro, so I shoot RAW + JPEGs in monochrome. This is the only way to review the image immediately after taking the shot in B&W, to judge the tonal balance & contrast and make any pertinent adjustments in density, contrast, etc. When I get home, I convert the RAW (color) images to BW in Aperture.

I suppose a professionally trained eye could shoot RAW (color) only, then see the color shot on the LCD and make judgements about how it would look in B&W, but I dont have that eye ....

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 07-24-2014   #45
le-alain

I shoot RAW in BW without jpeg.
Only the Embended jpeg in the raw is BW, the review and loading are in BW, till opening the raw for Edit.

Old 07-25-2014   #46
Manuel Patino

I shoot in both.The RAW files are in color and the JPGs are B&W. That's the way my camera was set up when I bought it, and I like the results. IMHO, the RAW color files have awesome rendition out of the camera. Likewise the B&W JPGs. I also shoot with M43 (EM5 & EP5) as well as with a DP2 Merrill. Honestly, I love the way the shots come out of the RD-1. I rarely do much with LR5 on them unlike the shots from the other cameras which often get a good bit of PP.

Maybe it's just all in my mind and some sort of placebo effect, but I really think the results from the RD-1 whether in RAW or JPG format are particularly pleasing to the eyes... I do wish it had the features of modern cameras like larger files, more detail, image stabilization, etc. But I do love shooting with the RD-1...

Old 11-13-2014   #47
randolph45

Mr. Lazy here, jpegs for now until I figure out how to make good pictures wherthy of raw.

Old 02-27-2015   #48
Yoh

RAW, easy to make it JPG with epson software.