Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

View Poll Results: Do you shoot JPEGS or RAW with your R-D1? Choose as many as apply to you.
I shoot exclusively JPEG. 15 10.42%
I shoot exclusively RAW. 65 45.14%
I shoot both, but tend to use the RAW file. 39 27.08%
I shoot both, but tend to use the JPEG file. 20 13.89%
I shoot JPEG for monochrome images. 6 4.17%
I shoot JPEGs for "less serious" photographs and RAW for special stuff. 4 2.78%
I choose depending on space left on my card(s). 3 2.08%
I shoot RAW when the exposure is tricky, and JPEG most other times. 4 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

R-D1: Do you shoot RAW or JPEG?
Old 02-02-2012   #1
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

R-D1: Do you shoot RAW or JPEG?

I'm curious who shoots JPEGS and who shoots RAW with the R-D1. I love the Out Of the Camera (OOC) JPEGs from the R-D1, though I've recently been experimenting with RAW files. What are your habits? It's multiple choice, so choose all those that apply.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-02-2012   #2
punkromance
Poor art student

Raw files will always be better, if only for the noise reduction software that comes with LR3+ (1600 is perfectly usable) and once you've learnt your way around an editing program you'll be lost having to revert back to jpg.

If it's just a throwaway snap then sure shoot jpg, but if you're doing anything seriously you probably shouldn't be shooting anything other than raw.

R-D1s | M4-2 | CV 40/1.4
500C/M | CZ 80/2.8
D800 | 35/2 AIS | 135/2 DC
zerotwelve.co.uk | flickr

Old 02-02-2012   #3
roundg

If the 2G card capacity is enough for my trip, I always shoot in JPG+RAW

Old 02-02-2012   #4
Vagabond
Accomplished Malingerer

I shoot RAW and then batch process them using the Epson PhotoRAW. No matter what lens I use, the JPEGs that I get straight out of it have too much vignetting for my liking. The images from the batch are created at a reduced resolution (1504x1000). I use these for review and also keep them as an archive. I'll then use the Epson plug-in to bring the "keepers" into PhotoShop for some final tweaking. I might mention that I use the R-D1 exclusively for b/w images.

BESSA R2a - EPSON R-D1 - Fuji X100

My R-D1, R2a, Agfa PB20, Yashica D, Perkeo Gallery

Old 02-02-2012   #5
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

An interesting follow on poll would be workflow for raw, what processor people use, etc.

I use LR3 and do color noise reduction on JPEGs and RAW files there. I like the R-D1 vignetting but I can get rid of it with JPEGs as well in LR3.

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-02-2012   #6
LCT

Always raw for color, sometimes jpeg for B&W when i need to shoot fast.

Old 02-02-2012   #7
Lss

I use RAW only, or RAW+JPEG (monochrome), depending on the scene/subject.

Old 02-03-2012   #8
sevres_babylone

I shoot raw + jpeg all the time. I have been using the raw files more frequently in the last year or so, as I've become more comfortable with and more knowledgeable of Adobe Camera Raw. Most, but not all, of my prints are from raw files. I tended to use jpegs for quicker processing when I wanted to post quickly to flickr and pbase.

Even if I were to use jpegs more frequently, I would still shoot raw + jpeg. There are some files which need the ability to get the extra detail in the highlights sometimes lost in jpegs. Also, raw converters have been improving, so it's sometimes possible to improve the results from an older file.

At this point, even if I were to abandon jpeg processing, I like the raw + jpeg combination, because I use Photo Mechanic to rename, edit and sometimes sort, and it works quicker and with bigger previews using the jpeg.

Old 02-03-2012   #9
Landberg

Only RAW for me.

Old 02-03-2012   #10
umcelinho
Marcelo

only raw, after shooting raw for the first time and understanding what i could do with it, i never again shot jpegs.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 02-03-2012   #11
MCTuomey

jpg: RD-1 and my sportsshooting with Canon dSLRs
RAW/DNG: everything else

when i had one, i thought the RD-1's jpgs were really nice right from the box.

i'm 100% lightroom, btw

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 02-03-2012   #12
back alley
IMAGES

i shoot only raw and process in elements.

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 02-03-2012   #13
daveisbest

JPEG's only for me. When I first got the camera I shot RAW+JPEG's to see if there was any discernible difference in quality between the two. There wasn't, and still isn't, to my eye. The camera almost always gets the exposure and white balance right first time, so I have no need to change these things later in post-production. It also takes Photoshop an age to open RAW files from the R-D1 and since I usually only spend a minute or two in post-production on each photo JPEG's are a lot faster and easier to work with. Add the fact that the R-D1 can only take cards up to 2GB, and that I only take the card out of the camera and load the photos onto my computer once or twice a month and JPEG's make much more sense for me. I'm planning on getting a used X100 soon, and will almost certainly shoot only JPEG's with it too.

Old 02-03-2012   #14
LCT

You should try a good raw converter like Capture One. There is a world of difference noise wise and colors are superb IMHO.

Old 02-03-2012   #15
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Thanks for the alternative perspective Dave. That's where I am at this point, though I am still fiddling with RAW to see if it grows on me. I've tried a few files through Lightroom 3 and I haven't seen much difference between the processed raw and the JPEG. But these images haven't been critical ones where I'm really trying to save an exposure, etc. I do wish the top dial had a selection for JPEG, RAW+JPEG and RAW instead of the JPEG high/JPEG normal/Raw setting there now.

Old 02-03-2012   #16
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

What converter comes with the Epson? I'd like to try that.

Old 02-03-2012   #17
shadeofpale

Epson photoRAW
http://cameraquest.com/Epson-R-D1/_r-d1/r-d1_links.htm

I shoot RAW and JPG (for safety reasons).

Old 02-03-2012   #18
back alley
IMAGES

the exposure meter is off on both my rd1 bodies and was off in the one i traded away earlier this year. i thinnk they are all off a bit from what i have read.
jpeg is nowhere near as good as a raw file with 3 minutes work done on it.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 02-03-2012   #19
mwooten
light user

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
the exposure meter is off on both my rd1 bodies and was off in the one i traded away earlier this year. i thinnk they are all off a bit from what i have read....
Yeah, I think that's right. On auto mine seems to expose ~ -2/3 of a stop. It's easier to pull something out of the shadows than create it from shot highlights.

blog: atomicspa.com

Old 02-03-2012   #20
Cagliostro73

I'm using both. Jpegs are just fine for quick posting in my flickr but if I should need some post processing then I prefer having a raw file.
I'm a b&w shooter anyway and having the raw file for post proessing is always and advantage IMHO.
Converters: LR3 (quick), silver efex pro2 for serious tuning.

www.flickr.com/zonasette

Epson RD-1s, Leica M2, summicron 40, 50, elmar 90, Fed 3b, industar 22, 61 L/D; jupiter 8, 9, 12.

Old 02-03-2012   #21
lofi

I'm only shot jpeg.
I’d like the B&W and especially the (vivid) colour straight from the camera, much more than the processed raw with LR or similar. And the other hand, I have an iMac with a LED screen and I haven’t been able to see differences between the jpegs and raws of this camera, even at high iso, but surely there will be.

Old 02-03-2012   #22
Guaranteed

I like my files like I like my carpaccio, Raw.

Old 02-12-2012   #23
andephotographic

Will I have any problems with the raw files out an RD1s in LR3 or Photoshop/Bridge CS3?

Old 02-12-2012   #24
mwooten
light user

No, you will have no problems. I have LR convert my erf's to dng's to save disk space (and hopefully allow legacy processing in the years to come) when imported.

blog: atomicspa.com

Old 02-13-2012   #25
andephotographic

Awesome. I usually do the .dng conversion so will continue as ever.

Old 02-14-2012   #26
porktaco

raw only, LR3. the workflow is no different than when i shot jpeg. i don't understand why anyone would shoot jpeg.

Old 02-14-2012   #27
shadeofpale

Not using LR might be a reason for shooting JPG …
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=113555

Old 02-17-2012   #28
iforum

RAW+JPEG (monochrome)....sometimes the RD1 bnw settings save a heap of work and are spot on especially at 1600 iso

Old 02-26-2012   #29
Bike Tourist

100% jpeg all the time. My NikonView software works great on the output from any camera I may own. Years from now, after proprietary raw files can no longer be opened with then-current software, my jpegs will be just fine. My copy of CS5, along with all its companion software, will open the raw files from my cameras but why bother? Several iterations of PS changes are well tolerated — no artifacts, completely acceptable for commercial or personal use. I started out in my conversion to digital many years ago believing all the "experts" who said you weren't a real photographer unless you shot raw or, at least, tiff.

After many years I asked myself what I was gaining by shooting raw and what was I losing (besides disc space). My personal answer was "nothing".

So now I skip through life, stupidly trashing my images by shooting jpeg, but happy to do so.

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

RAW, AH why?
Old 03-02-2012   #30
Dektol Dan

RAW, AH why?

I archive in TIFF from film scans. I won't get into the madness of correction algorithms available for just that. And, there's WAY too much post production that must be done for whatever format the image is to be viewed at in the end (ink jet, laser, monitor, DVD...) to waste time messing with RAW. The 'perfect correction' that you agonized over just isn't; I'm sorry.

As far a digital cameras go, from my experience, the curves provided by the manufacturer are always the best compromise of speed and file size. If the shot is properly exposed in the first place who needs RAW? I shoot primarily rangefinder cameras and I use digital cameras for sports (at least 6 shots a second) and lenses that don't adapt to rangefinder use very well (copy work, long lenses).

RAW is a non starter for action photography. I could see it's usefulness for copy work, but face it, the color from most digital cameras and what is seen from digital monitors is an abstraction (and that is being kind).

Why do you think I still shoot film? I want the palette to meet my needs and situation. RAW is an attempt to correct not only the shortfalls of the photographer, but the compromises made for, and built into, every design of every digital camera and scanner.

Old 03-02-2012   #31
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Great to hear dissenting opinions on RAW. I don't feel so crazy now shooting JPEG, though on my GXR I'm still shooting Raw because I'm not as happy with the JPEG engine as I was with the R-D1 or an Olympus digital I ever shot. I might try an X100, it's supposed to have very good JPEG output, too.

Old 03-02-2012   #32
LCT

I've tried many times since 2004 but i found absolutely no way to get jpegs as clean and sharp as raws developed in C1 so far. In spite of the age of the beast, 1600 iso pics are really usable in B&W and color this way.

Old 03-02-2012   #33
back alley
IMAGES

to me, shooting jpegs is like shooting cheap drugstore film.

processing a raw file can be quick and painless and it produces a much superior iimage in the end.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 03-02-2012   #34
andephotographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dektol Dan View Post
I archive in TIFF from film scans. I won't get into the madness of correction algorithms available for just that. And, there's WAY too much post production that must be done for whatever format the image is to be viewed at in the end (ink jet, laser, monitor, DVD...) to waste time messing with RAW. The 'perfect correction' that you agonized over just isn't; I'm sorry.

As far a digital cameras go, from my experience, the curves provided by the manufacturer are always the best compromise of speed and file size. If the shot is properly exposed in the first place who needs RAW? I shoot primarily rangefinder cameras and I use digital cameras for sports (at least 6 shots a second) and lenses that don't adapt to rangefinder use very well (copy work, long lenses).

RAW is a non starter for action photography. I could see it's usefulness for copy work, but face it, the color from most digital cameras and what is seen from digital monitors is an abstraction (and that is being kind).

Why do you think I still shoot film? I want the palette to meet my needs and situation. RAW is an attempt to correct not only the shortfalls of the photographer, but the compromises made for, and built into, every design of every digital camera and scanner.
Some good points and well made but I'm not so sure I follow on your last point.

I shoot film and digital too and when i shoot film it's generally b&w film that I dev and print at home and when i shoot digital I shoot in RAW.

If I want to digitise my film images I scan a print, partly because my scanner does a far better job of full platen scans than it does of negs but mostly because I see making the print as part of the film process.

For me shooting jpeg would be like shooting a roll of film and handing it to someone else to develop for me then trying to make prints the way I want them, I'd far rather retain the control over the process myself.

Old 03-03-2012   #35
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by andephotographic View Post
For me shooting jpeg would be like shooting a roll of film and handing it to someone else to develop for me then trying to make prints the way I want them, I'd far rather retain the control over the process myself.
I get this. But coming from chromes, there was NO control. Shoot it, drop it in a bag, and wait for the results. My Nikon FM2's stupid center-weighted metering was prodigious at exposing slides...only needed occasional exposure compensation. You learn the characteristics of the slide film and work within them. Far as I know National Geographic photographers shot mostly chromes, and millions of them. Post-processing (whether wet darkroom or computer processing/printing) is to me just a different vocation.

I've never worked with color print film, except for some scanning...is there the same level of tweakability and control with color print that there is with black and white developing and printing?

Old 03-03-2012   #36
LCT

OK but there is no digital noise in tranies. As good as it may be otherwise the R-D1 has one of the noisiest jpeg engine ever made. It was yet more noisy than my D70 when i bought both in 2004.

Old 03-03-2012   #37
andephotographic

I started with b&w film, moved to digital when I could afford it, started shooting RAW as soon as I realised it was nothing to be scared of and have only gone back to jpeg when shooting for press etc.

Not tried the jpegs out of the R-D so can't really comment on them and I've never done any jpeg v RAW tests with any of my cameras. I do remember the RAW files from my Nikon D50 seeming to have a lot more detail in the highlights and shadows than was in the jpegs though. Possibly the D50 had a rubbish jpeg engine but it's probably stuck with me and is why I think that shooting RAW retains more information and more info = good thing.

I think another thing to discourage me from using jpeg is learning in college about lossy v lossless file types. if I still had kit that would shoot in TIFF then I might be doing that but I don't, so RAW it is.

Anyway, disk/card space is cheap so why throw away information at the point of capture that can easily be retained? Even if you expose perfectly for the visualisation you have for an image today, who is to say you won't have a slightly different visualisation tomorrow and if shooting RAW means you have the latitude to realise that new visualisation from the existing file rather than reshooting then some people might call it lazy but I say it's sensible use of available technology.

Old 03-10-2012   #38
markloch

Speaking of LR and raw+jpeg, is there some way to get to the jpeg files that LR treats as a 'sidecar'? I now know I can import such that the jpeg is treated as a separate photo, but I don't want to do that with ALL my images, just the ones that were shot B&W ... I suppose I could try to remember to toggle the "treat jpeg files next to raw as separate photos" when importing B&W jpeg, but it would be nice if I could review my existing library with jpeg & raw side-by-side and select which jpegs to 'treat as separate photos' ...

Old 08-20-2013   #39
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I shoot both with the camera set to BW. I like that if there's a shot that I would like in color, I have that available. Best of both worlds. I'm not a machine gunner so the limit of the card is rarely reached.

Old 09-19-2013   #40
le-alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi View Post
I'm only shot jpeg.
I’d like the B&W and especially the (vivid) colour straight from the camera, much more than the processed raw with LR or similar. And the other hand, I have an iMac with a LED screen and I haven’t been able to see differences between the jpegs and raws of this camera, even at high iso, but surely there will be.
Yes, the jpeg's color are very good with RD1, and LR is really not the best at it.

But I use ACDSEE Pro, to achieve the same color performance as the jpeg engine, with lot's off more information in the raw.

Bought it for 25€ as update of a very very old version of ACDSEE (non pro) I had, and it worth it !