Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Konica Hexar AF shutter release problem
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Question Konica Hexar AF shutter release problem

Good day to you, folks!

Unfortunately today was a bad day for my black Hexar AF, which was perfectly functioning until this day.. When I turn it on it operates as usual with a small exception - it doesn't take a shot when I press shutter release button completely... It does focus, it does exposure, and everything else seems ok... Also, I might have thought that this issue is caused by the low battery, but I just recently put in a new one... So I'm confused here... And would be really greatful if someone could help me out...

Olympus OM-1n and heap of lenses
Leica MP and 50 'Cron (tabbed)

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Sometimes it does take a shot thought, but I have to press shutter release button like seven times...

is there someone here at all?

where are you, all hexar lovers? can somebody tell me what's wrong with my camera?.. or should I just sell it for parts?

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
anerjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugard View Post
Sometimes it does take a shot thought, but I have to press shutter release button like seven times...

is there someone here at all?

where are you, all hexar lovers? can somebody tell me what's wrong with my camera?.. or should I just sell it for parts?
I have the same issue. If you are the DIY type, try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhT3jwYx0LM&t=4s

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Paul T.

I have just started having the same problem. I have seen the fix.. but I'm under pressure for time, so if anyone know of a repairer in Europe who can do the job, it would be appreciated!

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerjee View Post
I have the same issue. If you are the DIY type, try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhT3jwYx0LM&t=4s
In this video camera from the beginning of the repairs operation was behaving other way than mine...

My camera is functioning, lcd shows information, it focuses ok, it does meter ok, the only issue is that when I press (after half pressure) complitely - it doesn't fire the shutter... So I have to repeat the same operation again and again until it finally (somehow??) does fire the shutter and takes a shot, rewinds to the next frame and everything starts from the beginning...

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Paul T.

Quote:
In this video camera from the beginning of the repairs operation was behaving other way than mine...

My camera is functioning, lcd shows information, it focuses ok, it does meter ok, the only issue is that when I press (after half pressure) complitely - it doesn't fire the shutter... So I have to repeat the same operation again and again until it finally (somehow??) does fire the shutter and takes a shot, rewinds to the next frame and everything starts from the beginning...
This is well-known, i think it's termed the sticky shutter fault.
There's a fix here but unfortunately the pix have expired:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=107262

How is this different to your fault? This camera seems fully-functioning except for the shutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhT3jwYx0LM

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T. View Post
This is well-known, i think it's termed the sticky shutter fault.
There's a fix here but unfortunately the pix have expired:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=107262
I have saved an offline version in case anybody needs it...

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Paul T.

Special kudos to Valdas, and the original poster of course.

The tutorial has excellent photos. It looks to be an easier fix than many.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Steve M.

I "fixed" mine by giving the shutter button an extreme workout, repeatedly pressing it over and over and giving it a little sideways pressure at times. After that it it seemed to be happy to work properly again. Might work, might not, worth a try. I may have given it a small squirt of electrical cleaner in there too, can't remember.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I have saved an offline version in case anybody needs it...
Can you please post it somehow?

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
valdas

Quote:
Can you please post it somehow?
I have it in pdf, not sure how I can post it here, PM me your email and I will send it to you (tomorrow, don't have this file with me now).

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
taomei

I have a similar experience with Steve M. At first I had a camera I got from a used camera swap that seemed to work fine but 4-5 times a roll it would fail to fire after 1/2 press, or lose focus after half-press erratically.

After a couple rolls dealing with this occasionally it seems less frequent and I can hold the finicky half-press well enough to reframe. Had this looked at with Weber Camera in Nebraska, but he says it's not the 'sticky shutter button' problem highlighed by the youTube fix / DIY fix, and that it's a problem with the logic board.

Btw, if it were simply a shutter button problem, Greg Weber with Weber camera swaps the button contact with one from a Konica SLR that's brass and wears better over time.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Smile

So, what can I say dear fellas...

I've tried advice kindly given by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I "fixed" mine by giving the shutter button an extreme workout, repeatedly pressing it over and over and giving it a little sideways pressure at times. After that it it seemed to be happy to work properly again. Might work, might not, worth a try. I may have given it a small squirt of electrical cleaner in there too, can't remember.
I did only 10-30 pressures as the camera was off, and when I turned it on to try if it works, it actually did fire the shutter almost the hole roll every shot from the first try, so I assume, it was in fact sticky shutter release button issue with dirty contacts inside...

I'm glad that it went that easy and I did not have to take camera apart, thought it's always good to know how...

Anyway, thank you everyone who answered... And I hope this thread may be useful for some other Hexar owners...

flickr