Old 09-07-2012   #561
PrecisionCamera
Precision Camera & Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoca76 View Post
I'm about to send you guys 15 rolls to be processed and scanned. The shipping for basic UPS ground is $42.77. Is that correct? That seems really steep. I'd like to get this out today, so I may just send it anyway and, if the price is not accurate, hopefully it can be corrected after the fact.

UPDATE: It's only fair that I update my previous post and say that Precision Camera acknowledged that the shipping costs were more than they should be and will refund half of what I spent on shipping. I emailed them and they wrote back to me in minutes.
Thanks for the update anjoca. I somehow missed this is the midst of emails I was dealing with. It is always better to contact us with questions like this through our helpdesk system for prompt responses. Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2012   #562
bolohead
Joel Cosseboom

I just sent off 5 rolls. This is my first time using your new system. It worked well. I do have one suggestion that somewhere you include a ship-to address for orders being sent to you. Another option would be to add it to your instructions after "Drop it in the mail".

My Flickr
My RFF Gallery

Old 09-13-2012   #563
froyd

I like the new system too... much better pricing on shipping.

Unfortunately it took just short of 3 wks to receive the negatives and discs. The quality was good, as it been in the past, but the turn-around is the worst I've experienced.

Hope it was just a fluke!

Old 09-18-2012   #564
froyd

Doing a side-by-side comparison of the negative and the scan I noticed that about 1-2mm gets cropped from from the frame. This was found throughout all 12 frames. Is this crop a standard feature, a result of automation?

I'd rather have full frame scans, if possible.

Old 09-21-2012   #565
fventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
I like the new system too... much better pricing on shipping.

Unfortunately it took just short of 3 wks to receive the negatives and discs. The quality was good, as it been in the past, but the turn-around is the worst I've experienced.

Hope it was just a fluke!

Just as a note on the turn around time,
I also use other labs, and their turn around time has increased a lot due to more people using film, and the fact that it is wedding season.

So, increased turn around time, might be a good signal for film, in the long run.

Fábio

Old 09-27-2012   #566
NazgulKing

Hi, Can I check what the new rates for Slide film development are? Planning to use the service again in November. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012   #567
denizg7
Dennis Van Patten

i swear if this service was in nyc it would boom

Old 10-06-2012   #568
sleepyhead

When I use the online system to place an order for film processing and scanning, I cannot complete the payment because I get a message that delevery cannot be made to my address.

I'm located in Denmark.

Has anyone else had this problem with International orders, and if so, what is the solution?

THANKS for your help.

Old 01-04-2013   #569
mszargar

Isn't the FTP system online yet? Not including the CDs can reduce the cost of shipping so much (they are still kind of prohibitive for international customers).

Old 01-10-2013   #570
bellyface
Registered Nice Guy

hi precision.. just curious, can you handle 6x12cm 120 negs? I just got a belair 6-12 camera and excited to develop some 6x12cm pano's
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Photographers deal in things which are continually
vanishing and when they have vanished there is no
contrivance on earth which can make them come
back again."
-Henri Cartier Bresson

Old 01-11-2013   #571
dct

I suppose there will be someone other in charge for the high resolution scan marketing. And I believe the RFF crowd here did a good push in the beginning of this offering. I hope PC&V restarts getting in close touch with their regular customers. Like us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszargar View Post
Isn't the FTP system online yet? Not including the CDs can reduce the cost of shipping so much (they are still kind of prohibitive for international customers).
Last autumn I gave it a try. For 10 rolls of film UHQ scanned you have to download ~10 GB. And the connection was very slow and dropped from time to time. Even with a good FTP client I had to try several evenings until I got the stuff at home. Lesson learned.
I accept the slightly higher return costs with the CDs with two positive aspects: It is easier to handle and I have already a backup medium for the "originals".

Old 06-22-2013   #572
visualbassist

this topic seems very dead. are there any updates on ftp uploads, etc? i'm writing from overseas...

Old 09-17-2013   #573
VTHokiEE

Has anyone used this lately? I'm about to send a handful of rolls somewhere and am trying to decide if Precision is my best bet. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2013   #574
dct

My latest order was this winter: I'm looking forward sending ~10 rolls during October. I'm not aware they changed any conditions, but the survey and involvement here in the forum is gone somewhere in September 2012. Don't know why.

Old 11-20-2013   #575
mexipike

I'm going to try and drop some negatives off this week at Precision and will see why the left the forum, or what changed and post here with what I learn.

Old 11-25-2013   #576
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
I'm going to try and drop some negatives off this week at Precision and will see why the left the forum, or what changed and post here with what I learn.
Interested in your overall judgement. I'm preparing a bunch of rolls too for shipment.

Old 03-08-2014   #577
folville

I'm about to have a go at this-very excited to have a professional lab y handling my negatives. Will report back with my impressions.

Old 03-27-2014   #579
folville

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionCamera View Post
Thanks for giving us a try. We won't disappoint!
I sent in my film (14 rolls) March 10, and the order is still marked as "awaiting fulfillment"--whatever that means. Here's to hoping this is a sign Precision is busy with film shooters taking advantage of a good offer on developing/scanning.

Old 03-27-2014   #580
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post
I sent in my film (14 rolls) March 10, and the order is still marked as "awaiting fulfillment"--whatever that means. Here's to hoping this is a sign Precision is busy with film shooters taking advantage of a good offer on developing/scanning.
They do great work, but turn around is slow especially with regular shipping. Two weeks is not uncommon, and don't be surprised if the rolls show up at your door before their order tracker is updated. Don't give up hope yet!

Old 03-28-2014   #581
folville

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
They do great work, but turn around is slow especially with regular shipping. Two weeks is not uncommon, and don't be surprised if the rolls show up at your door before their order tracker is updated. Don't give up hope yet!
And as luck would have it, shipped priority yesterday afternoon--just as I grew concerned it had been lost.

I'll share the results as soon as I get the discs.

Old 03-28-2014   #582
dct

Same experience here: Never had substantial problems with my orders and the results, but the status change in their order system is 1-2 month behind the delivery.

Old 04-08-2014   #583
buggz

Cool.
I will have send in my first roll from my new to me Mamiya RZ67 Pro II.
120 Portra.

Still going strong!
Old 04-08-2014   #584
PrecisionCamera
Precision Camera & Video

Thumbs up Still going strong!

Keep 'em comin'! We're still here, now bigger than ever, and scanning all day long! Sorry for our lack of involvement on the Forums - we've had our heads down on customer projects.

-The lab rats at Precision.

Awaiting fulfillment... aren't we all
Old 04-08-2014   #585
PrecisionCamera
Precision Camera & Video

Post Awaiting fulfillment... aren't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post
You've discovered the dark and mysterious part of the tunnel between us and you. Unlike digital orders, which we can track pretty well, film-by-mail orders still rely on the retail platform of our website, which doesn't play well with the lab. So the only status you'll see is "awaiting fulfillment," until the order has landed on your doorstep. When you order a camera, that system works well. When you order a service, not so much. The good news is your work is still done by humans, many of them even very friendly. And we'd love to talk about your order! Call anytime (800) 677-1023 or email our lab manager (unfortunately I have to point you to this page to prove that you're also human in order reveal his email) http://www.precision-camera.com/page.../our-team.html

Old 04-08-2014   #586
divewizard
perspicaz

The order I got back from you a couple of weeks ago was excellent. I also like that you now put multiple rolls on a DVD instead of separate CDs for every roll.

There are some examples here, here, here, here, here, here, here, & here.

Thank you!

Chris Grossman
diver.net
3D-Photography.com

Old 04-15-2014   #587
buggz

Hello,
What's the preferred shipping method?
I just completed a 120 color flm order via Paypal.
I selected the USPS shipping return method to my PO box.
I am wanting a really good experience for this, so, if there is a better shipping method, I will gladly change the order.

Advice, recommendations, experiences are welcomed information.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggz View Post
Cool.
I will have send in my first roll from my new to me Mamiya RZ67 Pro II.
120 Portra.

Old 04-16-2014   #588
dct

I'm not sure if you can select USPS 1st class package too in the order page of this service. If you don't mind waiting a few days longer, this would be the cheapest shipping method, especially for international orders.

Old 04-25-2014   #589
folville

Thumbs up

Quote:
You've discovered the dark and mysterious part of the tunnel between us and you. Unlike digital orders, which we can track pretty well, film-by-mail orders still rely on the retail platform of our website, which doesn't play well with the lab. So the only status you'll see is "awaiting fulfillment," until the order has landed on your doorstep. When you order a camera, that system works well. When you order a service, not so much. The good news is your work is still done by humans, many of them even very friendly. And we'd love to talk about your order! Call anytime (800) 677-1023 or email our lab manager (unfortunately I have to point you to this page to prove that you're also human in order reveal his email) http://www.precision-camera.com/page.../our-team.html
Thanks for the follow-up! (I've been away from the forums myself lately.)

I promised a full review of the process, and I'll be sure to post one once I have a chance to look at my scans more closely, but I should say that by and large, I'm very happy with the results.

Old 04-29-2014   #590
buggz

Just picked it up yesterday at the PO Box.
Perfect!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggz View Post
Hello,
What's the preferred shipping method?
I just completed a 120 color flm order via Paypal.
I selected the USPS shipping return method to my PO box.
I am wanting a really good experience for this, so, if there is a better shipping method, I will gladly change the order.

Advice, recommendations, experiences are welcomed information.
Thanks!

High shipping charges
Old 07-20-2014   #591
dct

High shipping charges

I used this service since 2011. It was advantageous for development including high-res scanning even from overseas.

But the shipping costs went prohibitive now (always using the same USPS priority). What did PC charge before?
Code:
2011 for a 21 rolls order     USD 24,42
2012 for a 6 rolls order      USD 14,74
2012 and another 7 rolls      USD 16,31
All of this was very reasonable.

Starting 2013 the shipping costs (for a 7 rolls order) went from 16,31 to 40,55. As of today USD 42,15! Why is this so much dearer for the same shipping weight and service?

With these amounts I have to look for another alternative.
But I will get in touch directly to their online order service and see what's possible.

Last edited by dct : 07-20-2014 at 09:28. Reason: Mailed directly also to PC&V

Old 08-19-2014   #592
buggz

Scanned color negative 120 Portra 160 from Precision Camera, their scan, not mine.

back lit lilies
Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II
Mamiya 110/f2.8
wide open, metered via Sekonic 758, I think this works MUCH better than my prism AE meter.
I think I nailed the exposure, I wanted the highlights, but not blown out.
the vignette is mine, I added it.

Old 08-26-2014   #593
dpn

I just got my first order of scans back from Precision Camera. I'm very happy with the turnaround time, scan quality, and low cost.

Does anyone know if they'll process and scan artistic nudes?

Old 02-27-2015   #594
dpn

FWIW, Precision Camera confirmed that they do process nudes.

Old 02-27-2015   #595
ampguy

Do you do 1/2 frame? I have a roll in a PEN, I think it's been in there for 2 years, and I might not want to wait another 2 years, so let me know. Thanks. It's some kind of C41, I think Fuji 200.

120/220 film
Old 12-09-2015   #596
raid
Dad Photographer

120/220 film

Hi,
What are today your charges for RFF members for developig and standard scanning these:

120 C-41
120 B&W

220 C-41
220 B&W

Thanks.

Raid

Quote:
Precision is offering an RFF special on our Ultra Hi Res scanning service.

35mm scans are 26 megapixel jpgs. It's $11.99/roll for scanning, and the developing (either C41 or E6) is free...a savings of $4/roll for C41 and $6/roll for E6. This equates to only 33 cents per frame for a 36 exposure roll of 35mm.

This is a significant savings over other labs such as NCPS. We use the same equipment and the scan quality is fantastic, and can only be surpassed by expensive high-end drum scanners.

We can scan all the way up to 6x9.

Typical turn around time is 2 weeks for domestic orders.

Order form is here.

Best contacts for questions and concerns on this particular service are Rene Hernandez at [email protected] and Cathleen Menke at [email protected].

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-09-2015   #597
raid
Dad Photographer

Is shipping still a problem costwise?
It was $42/per 7 rolls in 2014

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/