Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

Old 02-14-2017   #641
Netsoft2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamph View Post
Btw I scanned some Velvia yesterday and noticed some slight bleeding, especially into the black border, as I increased exposure in post. Would this indicate dirty optics?
Also, my initial scan was kinda dark - what are the tell tale signs of a dying lamp besides it dying altogether?
The bleeding is likely due to dirty optics. I typically only replace the bulb when it goes out or if I see the inside lamp part turning black from heat over long periods of use. You can try to clean the mirrors of the lamp and see if that helps. Make sure you always do a warmup scan (~15 minutes) before your real scan.

Old 02-14-2017   #642
Kamph

That was a very thorough description, Pali! Much appreciated

The Tango must be the perfect scanner for slides! Negative films are so good these days that I hardly shoot anything else, so I guess I can live with the SM's lesser Dmax. In fact, the SM might be the better scanner for negatives due to it's higher resolution and RAW output. Do you see any difference between the two when scanning negatives (besides resolution that is)?

I'll try to clean the optics and see if it helps. I always let the scanner warm up for about 10 min. though I migt try to do af few prescans and see if it makes a difference.

How much did you pay for the new motor?

Old 02-15-2017   #643
meloV8

Pali, Primescan 5500dpi scan of 6x7 takes about 45min on Silverfast...

Old 02-15-2017   #644
onnect17

Thanks Pali for the comparison. Very good reference info.

I am curious about the aperture control in the SM11K. If any, could you scan the target using an aperture close to 10 microns at 11'000 dpi? How it compares to the results from the Tango?
Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2017   #645
nagya

Dear Members,
I found a drum for my Scanmate 5000.
Thank you everyone who helped!

Old 02-18-2017   #646
Netsoft2k

Quote:
The Tango must be the perfect scanner for slides! Negative films are so good these days that I hardly shoot anything else, so I guess I can live with the SM's lesser Dmax. In fact, the SM might be the better scanner for negatives due to it's higher resolution and RAW output. Do you see any difference between the two when scanning negatives (besides resolution that is)?

How much did you pay for the new motor?
I wanted to run a few tests before I responded to this but what I am seeing is the Tango and Scanmates both produce excellent negative scans for use with Colorperfect. For now, my Scanmate 11000 is producing scans that require zero to very little color correction in Colorperfect but Tango is producing slightly cool negative scans. I am sure this is something that I can tweak with better color calibration but I haven't been able to do so just yet. Will post some comparative scans once I can say that Tango is in good calibrated state.

The DC Motor was a combined sale with SM11K board modification for stripes in shadows. I paid 500 EUR for the board modification and new old-stock DC motor.

BTW, I was told that I should still see very faint stripes in the shadows but my unit is showing zero trace of it. I did the aluminum foil test and there is no sign of the stripes. I wonder if the engineer at abc-scan has figured out a better method for modifying the board.

Sample Aluminum Foil Test TIFF at 8000 DPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloV8 View Post
Pali, Primescan 5500dpi scan of 6x7 takes about 45min on Silverfast...
I just made a scan again yesterday and timed it again. 5000 DPI took ~8.5 minutes again. I wonder why Primescan which is pretty much the same as a Tango at 55000dpi is so much slower. My guess would be that it has something to do with Silverfast vs. the scanner itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
Thanks Pali for the comparison. Very good reference info.

I am curious about the aperture control in the SM11K. If any, could you scan the target using an aperture close to 10 microns at 11'000 dpi? How it compares to the results from the Tango?
Thanks again!
You are welcome! It's very easy to change the aperture in SM11K but I don't know which aperture is closest to 10 microns. I tried to google for this information but didn't' find anything other than the smallest aperture. Does anyone know the aperture sizes for SM5K and SM11K?

Nagya, Congrats! Glad that you found a drum. Happy Scanning

Old 02-19-2017   #647
onnect17

Hi Pali, If ColorQuartet selects the optimal aperture by default then set the closest scanning resolution to 2540 dpi and then check which value of aperture is shown. Write the number then scan at 11000 dpi and enter manually the aperture value previously found.

Old 02-19-2017   #648
Kamph

Quote:
Hi Pali, If ColorQuartet selects the optimal aperture by default then set the closest scanning resolution to 2540 dpi and then check which value of aperture is shown. Write the number then scan at 11000 dpi and enter manually the aperture value previously found.
I don't think QC ever shows you what aperture is selected when in auto-mode. The menu simply states "auto" I believe.

Old 02-19-2017   #649
Kamph

Btw in regard to aperture. It seems to me that there is little difference between selecting "1" or "2", while "3", "4" etc. makes a huge difference. Could it be that the apeture needs calibration on my scanner?

Old 02-19-2017   #650
Netsoft2k

That's a good tip Armando - I'll give it a try tonight.

Kamph, we may be able to see this information in the scanner messages. If you have the scanner in service mode and then enable the SCSI using the S command, the terminal window shows everything that the scanner does. I'll try this and let you know if I can see the aperture selected in the auto setting.

Not sure about the aperture setting of 1 vs 2. It doesn't hurt to calibrate apertures every few months so it may help or you may have already resolved the grain with aperture 2 so going smaller may not be providing additional benefit.

Regards,

Pali

Old 02-19-2017   #651
onnect17

Quote:
Btw in regard to aperture. It seems to me that there is little difference between selecting "1" or "2", while "3", "4" etc. makes a huge difference. Could it be that the apeture needs calibration on my scanner?
Thanks! Good to know. Do you own any USAF 1951 target? If so, it could be helpful (as a reference for the forum) to post a scan of it at 11000, at each aperture 0..4

Old 02-19-2017   #652
Kamph

Quote:
Thanks! Good to know. Do you own any USAF 1951 target? If so, it could be helpful (as a reference for the forum) to post a scan of it at 11000, at each aperture 0..4
I would love to but unfortunately I only own the SM5000

Black preview
Old 02-23-2017   #653
nagya

Black preview

Hi, I would like to ask for help.
My preview with CQ totally black.
The lamp brand new and I made the white calibration.
Whit Colortrio working!
What could be the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0973.jpg (49.7 KB, 15 views)

Old 02-26-2017   #654
help!

Is there anyone using Linux? Here on Ubuntu 16.04 I can do a preview scan but transfering the scan fails: 'Error no 1467: Could not read from the scanner'

I use Wine and ColorQuartet in Win98 mode. The ScanMate is connected through a Microtech USB to SCSI DB25 converter. The SCSI ID at the Scanner is 2.

$ sudo cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: TOSHIBA-TR150 Rev: 12.3
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi9 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: Z....... Model: ScanMate scanner Rev: Sca
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scanmate5000_ubuntu.jpg (16.4 KB, 10 views)

Old 02-27-2017   #655
Netsoft2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagya View Post
Hi, I would like to ask for help.
My preview with CQ totally black.
The lamp brand new and I made the white calibration.
Whit Colortrio working!
What could be the problem?
If white calibration is successfully, then it must be a software issue. Have you tried using difference apertures? Also try scanning with file size set to 10MBs. Also double check your profile settings in CQ Scan - a corrupted ICC profile can cause pure black scans.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by help! View Post
Is there anyone using Linux? Here on Ubuntu 16.04 I can do a preview scan but transfering the scan fails: 'Error no 1467: Could not read from the scanner'

I use Wine and ColorQuartet in Win98 mode. The ScanMate is connected through a Microtech USB to SCSI DB25 converter. The SCSI ID at the Scanner is 2.

$ sudo cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: TOSHIBA-TR150 Rev: 12.3
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi9 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: Z....... Model: ScanMate scanner Rev: Sca
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Quite amazing that you got the scanner to show on a USB converter. I have never heard anyone who got these scanners to work through USB and linux on top of it. To rule out scanner as the issue, you should see if you can get the scanner working on a Mac or Win machine over SCSI interface. Working with adapters can be extremely painful experience because you have to have the right OS and the Firmware to work.

Pali

Old 03-02-2017   #656
nagya

I re-installed the whole os x and it seems working.
Thank you Pali for the help.

Old 03-05-2017   #657
help!

I did some tests on a Windows XP notebook. ColorQuartet says I've to upgrade the scanner with the newest firmeware. The firmware is available from a download link provided by monkeyfist:http://tempppz.host-ed.me/temp/Scann...e%204000-5000/

Unfortunately, installing the firmeware fails. A 'Downloading firmware...' dialog appears, but nothing happens. The scanner is connected by the Microtech USB/SCSI adapter. Is there a PCMCIA/SCSI adapter that is known to be working properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upgrade_your_scanner.jpg (23.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg downloading_firmware.jpg (7.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 03-05-2017   #658
Netsoft2k

I use Adaptec 1460 pcmcia card on a Windows XP laptop that works great.

Pali

Old 03-05-2017   #659
help!

Thx for the info.

Is there a way to adjust the threaded rod that is moving the drum? The carriage of my ScanMate is bearing against the case :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case.jpg (22.9 KB, 8 views)

Old 03-05-2017   #660
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I'm using too and have two cards for sale.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 03-05-2017   #661
sheel

Hello, looking for some help with a SM5K I'm trying to restore - the SCSI controller on the unit is not operational w/o external power to the SCSI, and even with power, it's unstable.

I'm using:
* Late 2008 MacBook Pro (intel)
* OS X 10.5.8 (runs PowerPC code using Rosetta)
* Color Quartet 5.3.1
* Ratoc FR1SX Firewire to SCSI adapter

This exact same setup is functional with another SM5K I restored, so I know it's not the computer setup.

Basically, when I turn on the SM5K, it does not go into "ready" state. However, as soon as I apply power to the Ratoc adapter, the SM5K goes into "ready" state. It's as if there's no signal being sent to the SCSI to get it into ready state. Note, with my other SM5K unit, I do not need the Ratoc power supply to function.

With power on the Ratoc, this unit passes all checks in the service program, and even goes into ready state with the S option, and is responsive to Color Quartet. However, upon doing a "preview" scan, the scanner starts spinning, attempts to start the scan, and then stops, almost like the SCSI reset itself.

I've cleaned contacts, checked connections, and inspected fuses, even F1 sitting next to/under the SCSI connector. The fuses appear "ok", and they are providing some level of resistance (measured with multimeter), but I'm not sure what ohm value they should be measuring.

I'm stumped, and can't make sense of the wiring diagrams in the service manual, which also doesn't explain any of the Test Points.

Does anyone have guidance on how troubleshoot?

Old 03-07-2017   #662
help!

@ sheel

Perhaps this behaviour is firmware related? My ScanMate 5000 is only in 'Ready' mode when it is connceted to my notebook. I use a Microtech USB to SCSI DB25 converter at the moment. The connection to the scanner fails when using my Ratoc USB/SCSI converter.

@ jzagaja

Thx for the information, but I've already ordered an Adaptec 1460 pcmcia card.

Old 03-08-2017   #663
Kamph

How do you guys go about cleaning the optics and with what if I may ask?

Edit: Also have you noticed better shadow performance when wet mounting?

Old 03-08-2017   #664
sheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by help! View Post
@ sheel

Perhaps this behaviour is firmware related? My ScanMate 5000 is only in 'Ready' mode when it is connceted to my notebook. I use a Microtech USB to SCSI DB25 converter at the moment. The connection to the scanner fails when using my Ratoc USB/SCSI converter.

@ jzagaja

Thx for the information, but I've already ordered an Adaptec 1460 pcmcia card.
Ok I'll check the firmware. Something to note. When it's not in ready mode the service program just repeats "hello world" infinitely.

Old 03-19-2017   #665
help!

The firmware update was successful using an Adaptec 1460 card on Windows XP. Doing a preview fails, I suppose the scanner has at least one hardware issue. I'll do some tests as soon I find some time.

Old 2 Days Ago   #666
marekvesely

Thank god I just found this amazing thread about Scanmates at the right time. I'm a 21 year old kid that's absolutely fascinated by drum scanners. I got an amazing opportunity to save a one ScanMate 5000 scanner that has been used in a pro studio for three years (without a problem) and then left in storage for 5 or 6 years. I really want to make sure to do this right. I don't have a direct access to the scanner right now but I'm talking to the original owner/user of the scanner via e-mail/phone and he wants to try to run a "test" scan before handing it to me. I'm little scared that he just dusts it off and try to start it up.

I want to make sure that he knows the absolutely critical steps before trying to operate the scanner after all these years in (hopefully somewhat clean) storage. I went through the owners manual and I have some clue about the maintenance but would some of you be so kind to quickly sum it up for me so we don't completely mess this first step and brake this amazing piece of hardware? There's gotta be some things that can brake it without a blink of an eye.

Thank you so much! If all goes well, I want to get it up and running and start to help out other film shooters with high-resolution scanning film around my area (and also try to carry on the drum-scanning knowledge for a younger generation!).

---------------------------------------------------------------
[6x12] Fotoman 612 mk2 - Fujinon 75mm f/5.6 SWD
[6x9] Fujifilm GW690III - Fujinon 90mm f/3.5 EBC

Old 1 Day Ago   #667
Netsoft2k

The best thing that you can do is to indeed turn it on and test it out. Unless it's broken, you won't break anything by turning it on for testing. What you may need to keep in mind is that the scanner may be out of calibration from sitting idle. You will most likely need to clean and oil main movements before using it regularly and to get best results.

Make sure that the scans show information in all three channels and that you are able to perform a white calibration and focus calibration. If these things pass, then you have a great unit to start running.

Last thing is the obvious point that don't force anything (mounting / removing drum). Also make sure you are ready to hit the off switch on the scanner if you hear abnormal sounds (loud humming is expected and potentially normal but clicking anywhere is not).

Good luck!

Pali

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekvesely View Post
Thank god I just found this amazing thread about Scanmates at the right time. I'm a 21 year old kid that's absolutely fascinated by drum scanners. I got an amazing opportunity to save a one ScanMate 5000 scanner that has been used in a pro studio for three years (without a problem) and then left in storage for 5 or 6 years. I really want to make sure to do this right. I don't have a direct access to the scanner right now but I'm talking to the original owner/user of the scanner via e-mail/phone and he wants to try to run a "test" scan before handing it to me. I'm little scared that he just dusts it off and try to start it up.

I want to make sure that he knows the absolutely critical steps before trying to operate the scanner after all these years in (hopefully somewhat clean) storage. I went through the owners manual and I have some clue about the maintenance but would some of you be so kind to quickly sum it up for me so we don't completely mess this first step and brake this amazing piece of hardware? There's gotta be some things that can brake it without a blink of an eye.

Thank you so much! If all goes well, I want to get it up and running and start to help out other film shooters with high-resolution scanning film around my area (and also try to carry on the drum-scanning knowledge for a younger generation!).

Old 1 Day Ago   #668
marekvesely

Thank you very much Pali! This is somewhat reassuring I'll make sure the scanner gets cleaned as much as possible, tested. I'll also try the white and focus calibration before taking the scanner home. Is it possible to do these calibrations via the scanning software (I assume you can because the owners had to do these calibrations often, right?) or do you need to get into the service mode and do these calibrations via commands?

My fingers are crossed! It would mean the world to get it up and running. Do you know if ABC-scan in Denmark still does some sort of a support for the hardware parts (if something would be really broken..)?

Thank you!

Old 1 Day Ago   #669
Netsoft2k

You're very welcome. You can perform both calibrations directly from the software and they are very straight forward. Find it in the menu of the program and you'll see it.

ABC scan is still around so yes, you can be at peace that help is still available. You would be surprised how much the folks here on this forum know as well

Where are you located?

Pali

Old 1 Day Ago   #670
marekvesely

Awesome. Thank you again. I'll know more about the current state of the scanner early next week from the owner. Good to know that ABC-Scan folks are here to help (but I imagine not exactly a "cheap" support). I'm so glad for this community - just read this thread all the way to page one and the support and help is outstanding.

I'm based in Prague, Czech Republic. Pretty much the center of Europe.. so somewhat decent as far as the potential support around. I can get the KAMI products from Germany easily and if I would indeed need the support from ABC Denmark I think that's also easily doable via shipping (like the electrical parts, motherboard etc.).

EDIT: Also this exact scanner used to run on Macintosh in the lab but I plan on running it on my high-end Windows 10 machine. I found a really great local deal (literally for 1.5$) on a fully working Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI card so that should work out well. Plus the software / drivers are still easily available for download. Do you run your ScanMate on latest Windows via SCSI PCI card or do you have an older dedicated computer?

Old 20 Hours Ago   #671
Netsoft2k

I run mine on Windows 7 64 Bit and would guess that it'll work fine on Windows 10. You will need to run CQScan with administrator access so it can read the SCSI chain.

Good luck.