Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Which was you own first camera and do you still have it?
Leica 24 2.17%
Kodak 221 20.00%
Canon 151 13.67%
Nikon 130 11.76%
Agfa 24 2.17%
Pentax 95 8.60%
Olympus 66 5.97%
Contax 8 0.72%
Another - too many to list all so please tell us 386 34.93%
Voters: 1105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2016   #561
lxmike
M2 love

Kodak X177 126 Instamatic, in the late 1970's

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 09-05-2016   #562
Talus
pan sin sal

I had a Fujifilm Advantix point and shoot in my younger days. It was a birthday gift when I was in my teens in the early 90s. I mostly took pictures of my friends and I hanging out at house parties (mischievous grin). I still have the negatives and about 75% of them scanned to digital. Wish I knew where the camera was now so I could mount it on the wall.

Old 09-06-2016   #563
jim0266

Kodak Instamatic X-15f 126 was actually the first, but the Pentax K1000 was my first real camera, circa 1980. Then: Pentax MX -> Nikon FM -> Nikon F2A

A few weeks back my local camera store had three K1000's in their used cased turned in my one owner. I cherry picked the best body and the 50/1.4 for $69. It's probably been 35 years since I handled the K1000. I was shocked at how heavy and well-built the K1000 feels today. Even the finder is brighter than I would have thought!

Old 10-09-2016   #564
mslatfly

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie Starmite II I got for my birthday when I was around 6, in the mid 60s. I wore out the latch, and the film carrier fell out the bottom when I was 12.

Old 10-26-2016   #565
seany65

Either:

A Polaroid 'Land' camera, that as far as I can remember, could only take black and white instant film packs. I had so much trouble getting the film tabs arranged right in the camera so that pulling one photo out would automatically make the tab for the next photo to stick out ready for removal, that I gave up after the first film.

Or:

A Kodak instamatic 177x camera that took 126 film and had two weather symbols and no other exposure controls. I think I ran about 2 films through it.

I always thought that if the camera makers had carried with the good 126 cameras, which had actual exposure controls and focusing, then 'APS' wouldn't have appeared. What a waste of time that format turned out to be.

My first real camera was a prinzflex 500e with 58mm lens, which I paid 17.50 for in a sale at Dixons in the arndale in Manchester. I got bored with it within a week and took it back and they gave me the pre-sale price of 22 back!

Old 11-06-2016   #566
Pistach
Dilettante artist

Bencini Comet II (made in Italy)
It was in 1953 and I was 8

Old 11-06-2016   #567
dtcls100

Olympus OM-1. I shot a couple of 126 rolls with a Kodak Instamatic before, but the OM-1 was my first camera that I had all too myself. My dad was a bit of a photo buff (he still has his Contaflex Super B at 89 yrs old) and was very encouraging of my very rather expensive interest as a middle schooler. The photo interest -- which led to photo editor and editor in chief gigs for school and university publications -- undoubtedly greatly helped me in getting into very competitive schools for college and law school and really helped my non-photo career. Still have the original OM-1 too, although I lost a bunch of other OM cameras to a burglar in the early 1990's. Glad the burglar missed this one!

Old 11-06-2016   #568
jorgef2002
VISUAL MOMENTS OF LIFE

My first was a Kodak Pony 135 bought in NY Times Square Area in 1961.

Old 11-06-2016   #569
underlord

My very first camera was a Kodak 110 plastic fold-away job. I still have the negatives from the early to mid 1970's. My first 'proper' camera was the venerable Zenit E.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/underlord/albums/

Old 11-06-2016   #570
Vadimson

My very first camera was scale focus, (zone focus) Smena-Symbol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 640px-Smena_Symbol.jpg (34.1 KB, 6 views)

Old 11-06-2016   #571
sara

Ok I'm guessing we are talking about film cameras because my first one was actually one of them Nikon Coolpix with a CF card of 16MB haha!

My first film camera was....drumroll and you wouldn't believe it, a Holga.

and I still have it, because the one I had was a CMYK special edition LOL.

Old 11-08-2016   #572
ASA 32

An official Cub Scout camera, given to me on my birthday about 1954. Long gone, as is 1954.

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/li...t&app_id=2341&

Old 11-08-2016   #573
plummerl

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye (620)!

http://kurtmunger.com/kodak_brownie_hawkeyeid149.html

Old 11-10-2016   #574
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA 32 View Post
An official Cub Scout camera, given to me on my birthday about 1954. Long gone, as is 1954.

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/li...t&app_id=2341&
That looks exactly like my first camera, except that it had a different plate/label on the front. Mine was purchased with breakfast cereal box tops and a dollar!

- Murray

Old 11-10-2016   #575
geoffallen

A Minolta Maxxum STsi (or, Dynax 404si if you were outside of the Americas in the early 2000s).

It was the first camera that was 100% mine-all-mine. I sold it 5 or 6 years later to a co-worker. I should drop her a line to see if it's still around..

I sometimes wonder if learning on that particular camera has affected my shooting style in ways I don't even realize. One carry-over that I am almost positive I can pinpoint: The Minolta had a handy spot meter that could be activated by pressing a dedicated button next to the eyepiece with your thumb. I remember I used it all the time, especially shooting concerts. To this day, I still feel most comfortable with a spot.

Old 11-11-2016   #576
ASA 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
That looks exactly like my first camera, except that it had a different plate/label on the front. Mine was purchased with breakfast cereal box tops and a dollar!

- Murray
They apparently made several varieties, just changing the front plate. The website shows a Girl Scout camera, and a few more.

Old 11-20-2016   #577
jazzwave

My first camera is Nikon F90X with battery grip, is amazing camera.
Replaced by F5 4 years later.

~ron~

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Old 01-23-2017   #578
Nyc Dito

my first official "i wanna shoot professionally" camera was a Canon rebel something from Sears. I think it was 1997-1998. I returned it after 2 weeks since it sucked at taking pictures. You know because i wanted great images on a kit lens using iso 100 speed film at night. haha... serious, i blamed the camera. I returned it and bought a subscription to American Photo and Popular Photography. I taught myself the basics and read a lot of books and magazines to start. Plus the interwebs..

My next camera was an OM-1 which was nice, but then i got a good deal for a Nikon FM. And from there it continued.

Old 01-25-2017   #579
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA 32 View Post
They apparently made several varieties, just changing the front plate. The website shows a Girl Scout camera, and a few more.
Thanks to your link, I found my first camera. I haven't seen it for almost 50 years! It's the Adventurer 620:

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/li...et&app_id=2343

- Murray

Old 01-26-2017   #580
mdarnton

When I was in the 5th grade my brother gave me his 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 press camera when he got a 35mm Beauty Canter, and for about a year I shot with that. The man who owned the local studio developed the film for me and I printed on proof paper, keeping my prints in a film box. Then a year later he gave me the Canter and got himself a Miranda. At that point he let me start using his darkroom. For the next few years I used a variety of borrowed small press and roll film cameras until I bought a Nikkormat in my senior year. . . Which was quickly replaced by a Leica IIIf. My longest-owned camera is a Graflex Super D the studio owner gave me around 1974, after I had turned into a real photographer for a living.

Some of those original shots are in my Flickr pix.

Old 01-26-2017   #581
Pentode

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. Bakelite!
I don't have it anymore.

When I was little, maybe 8 or 9, my parents gave my older sister and me a matching pair of Hawkeye cameras. As this was the 70s, they were already old and I have no idea where they came from. A neighbor, maybe? I remember the quality of the photos being terrible, but that could just as easily been the fault of an eight-year-old photographer as it could the camera!

At 11 or so, my grandfather bought me a cheap Imperial Magimatic Auto 318; a little 110 point & shoot that I used through my teens. That one is still with me.

Old 01-26-2017   #582
mich rassena

I still have my first camera, which as some Kodak 110 with a brown cover. Whatever model it is, there are spots where one can paste stickers with one's initials. I remember using it with flashcubes and taking a few rolls of film with it. I also remember being incredibly disappointed with the results, save for a few images. The photos were nothing like the ones I'd seen in National Geographic. Now I know better, and would probably be able to get the most out of the camera. But back then, it was a terribly discouraging experience. In fact, it soured me on photography so much that it was only 10 years ago (about 20 years after using the camera) that I got into photography. I'd always wanted to take good pictures, but until digital made it so much easier to see how what I did with the camera affected the image, I just didn't bother with cameras.

Old 01-26-2017   #583
Jake Mongey

Mine was my families ten year old pentax IST*DS - Worked daily with me until it died

Old 01-26-2017   #584
JHutchins

Kodak Ektralite 10 when I was perhaps 11. A couple of years later, when I was desperate to make photography a serious hobby a Minolta X-700.

The first camera I *bought* myself -- also the first camera I used to take pictures that I'm still happy with today, came about two years after that and was a Mamiya C3 TLR. I still have it in storage somewhere, though I replaced it with a Rolleiflex 2.8e that I used almost exclusively (once I got a real job and had money I bought an M3 and used it as well, though never as much as the Rolleiflex) until the Leica M8 was introduced.