Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Old 04-01-2017   #2041
gns

Arbus, Friedlander, Winogrand. New Documents, 1967.

Issued on the 50th anniversary of the historic MOMA show.

If New Documents didn’t launch the careers of these three, it was at least the booster that edged them (and maybe the curator) into the stratosphere.

There was no publication to accompany the 1967 show, but this is a lot more than a belated catalog. It is a document that verges on a forensic level of detail. In addition to reproducing every photograph in the show it presents a plethora of ephemera, including installation photos, floorplans, photos of the opening party, scans of typewritten documents & communications from the planning stages, newspaper clippings, reviews and more. More than you ever need to know, but outstanding fun for any photo history nerd.

Old 04-01-2017   #2042
helenhill
a Click in Time...

I'm either 'Drunk' or have 'Gone to Heaven'
sitting with and turning the Pages of Fred Herzog 'Modern Color'

perhaps I am just color starved having shot the last tenyears b&w... time to 'see' things differently... in living color

A Lover of Leica M's...
Best Wishes -H

Old 04-01-2017   #2043
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Helen, thank you for reminder. I must have his book.

Old 04-01-2017   #2044
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
sitting with and turning the Pages of Fred Herzog 'Modern Color'....
Pretty much the same here. My book buying binge has continued and the mail carrier brought my copy of "Modern Color" just a couple of hours ago. I've been in heaven looking at those wonderful photos. And the reproduction is truly amazing, almost like beautifully done inkjet prints pasted on every page.

I'll delve into a bit of red wine a little later as soon as I come down from my cloud--don't wanna mix wine with my "photo high".

Old 04-01-2017   #2045
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
sitting with and turning the Pages of Fred Herzog 'Modern Color'

perhaps I am just color starved having shot the last tenyears b&w... time to 'see' things differently... in living color
Tis brilliant. The introductions/forewards are a fabulous read.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 04-02-2017   #2046
loftedspace

Any recommendations for architectural compilations? Just moved to a downtown area and would love to draw inspiration.

Old 04-05-2017   #2047
pressureworld

I just picked up a couple of cool books for some inspiration.

Fabien Baron: liquid light 1983-2003
Still: Oceanscapes by Debra Bloomfield
See San Francisco: Victoria Smith

Old 04-05-2017   #2048
x-ray

Just bought a book on Irving Penn from the show that's currently showing at the Frist Center in Nashville. There are roughly 200 images in the show and book.

If you're in the Nashville area it's well worth going to see it.

Old 04-05-2017   #2049
stephen.w

Jeff Mermelstein - Twirl / Run

Old 04-05-2017   #2050
maddoc
... likes film.

Raymond Depardon: Adieu Saigon

flickr
pBase

Old 04-12-2017   #2051
lawrence

trip by susan Lipper
A look at the spooky/kitch side of the southern parts of the USA. Some of the best photos I've seen shot with an SWC (I assume). Couldn't go wrong for a tenner.

Old 04-12-2017   #2052
gns

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
trip by susan Lipper
A look at the spooky/kitch side of the southern parts of the USA. Some of the best photos I've seen shot with an SWC (I assume). Couldn't go wrong for a tenner.
Yes. I bought this while really looking for a copy of Grapevine, which I've still not found and have pretty much given up hope on.

Old 04-12-2017   #2053
35photo

Diane Arbus - In the Beginning

I would say is a must own book, its more raw, most of it in 35mm.. Even more raw than the work she is known for.. The print quality is top notch

I've been looking at the Fred Herzog book as mentioned and am really looking forward to the Eggleston Election Eve book this summer...

Old 04-12-2017   #2054
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

Being a "Mr. Current", I just bought "The Camera". Ever late to the show.......

Old 04-12-2017   #2055
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Helen, thank you for reminder. I must have his book.
Cool Ko...moreso for your love of all things ... Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Pretty much the same here. My book buying binge has continued and the mail carrier brought my copy of "Modern Color" just a couple of hours ago. I've been in heaven looking at those wonderful photos. And the reproduction is truly amazing, almost like beautifully done inkjet prints pasted on every page.

I'll delve into a bit of red wine a little later as soon as I come down from my cloud--don't wanna mix wine with my "photo high".
A Toast to You & Fred !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
Tis brilliant. The introductions/forewards are a fabulous read.
Me Loves it too, We are on the same page Vincenzo !

A Lover of Leica M's...
Best Wishes -H

Old 04-12-2017   #2056
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Helen, I just received e-mail with this:

"Thank you for shopping with us...
Fred Herzog: Modern Color
Herzog, Fred
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
Condition: New..."

They have new batch on pre-order!

Old 04-12-2017   #2057
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Extinct Boids by Ralph Steadman

Phil Forrest

Old 04-14-2017   #2058
antiquark
Derek Ross

Pre-ordered an upcoming book by Moriyama. Actually it sounds amazing, considering how rare his various Record books have become:

Daido Moriyama: Record

by Mark Holborn

Inspired by Japanese photographers, as well as by William Klein’s seminal photography book on New York, Daido Moriyama moved from Osaka to Tokyo in the early sixties to become a photographer. He became the leading exponent of a fierce new photographic style that corresponded perfectly to the abrasive and intense climate of Tokyo during a period of great social upheaval. Between June 1972 and July 1973 Moriyama produced his own magazine publication, Kiroku, which was then referred to as Record. It became a diaristic journal of his work as it developed. Ten years ago, after a decades-long interval, he was able to resume publication of Record. Now this book collects work from all thirty published issues, edited into a single sequence, punctuated by Moriyama’s own text as it appeared in the magazine. Produced at the magazine’s original size, with an introduction by Mark Holborn, this volume features more than 200 works from throughout the magazine’s history.
It used to be assumed that Moriyama’s peculiarly Japanese style was tied to his Tokyo roots. The evidence of the last ten years demonstrates that Moriyama, a restless world traveler, has been able to apply his unique vision to northern Europe; southern France; the cities of Florence, London, Barcelona, Taipei, Hong Kong, New York, and Los Angeles as well as the alleys of Osaka; the landscape of Hokkaido; and Afghanistan.

Release date is Sept. 2017.

Old 04-16-2017   #2059
Karlovak

Grabbed a signed copy of this fun little novelty idea - Martin Parr's Abandoned Morris Minors of the West of Ireland.
I was actually surprised to see this sell out within minutes.

https://www.caferoyalbooks.com/#/aba...rr-060417-700/

Old 04-16-2017   #2060
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
Pre-ordered an upcoming book by Moriyama. Actually it sounds amazing, considering how rare his various Record books have become:

Daido Moriyama: Record

by Mark Holborn

Inspired by Japanese photographers, as well as by William Klein’s seminal photography book on New York, Daido Moriyama moved from Osaka to Tokyo in the early sixties to become a photographer. He became the leading exponent of a fierce new photographic style that corresponded perfectly to the abrasive and intense climate of Tokyo during a period of great social upheaval. Between June 1972 and July 1973 Moriyama produced his own magazine publication, Kiroku, which was then referred to as Record. It became a diaristic journal of his work as it developed. Ten years ago, after a decades-long interval, he was able to resume publication of Record. Now this book collects work from all thirty published issues, edited into a single sequence, punctuated by Moriyama’s own text as it appeared in the magazine. Produced at the magazine’s original size, with an introduction by Mark Holborn, this volume features more than 200 works from throughout the magazine’s history.
It used to be assumed that Moriyama’s peculiarly Japanese style was tied to his Tokyo roots. The evidence of the last ten years demonstrates that Moriyama, a restless world traveler, has been able to apply his unique vision to northern Europe; southern France; the cities of Florence, London, Barcelona, Taipei, Hong Kong, New York, and Los Angeles as well as the alleys of Osaka; the landscape of Hokkaido; and Afghanistan.

Release date is Sept. 2017.

Thanks for that .... pre ordered a copy.

Old 04-16-2017   #2061
ChrisLivsey

Gave up waiting for a UK copy at a decent price so bought one from France, it's the pictures I want

Thanks for the Moriyama pointer from me as well.

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2062
Big Ursus

Hi Karlovak,
Cafe Royal Books looks great! Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2063
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
am really looking forward to the Eggleston Election Eve book this summer...
Yes, likewise. I think Election Eve is possibly the high point of Eggleston's career.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2064
Dogman

I have "Election Eve" on pre-order with Amazon. Looking forward to it as well.

Most recent purchases include "Walker Evans: Depth of Field", "New Topographics", "Josef Sudek: Portraits", "Robert Polidori: Hotel Petra", "John Divola: As Far As I Could Get" and the retrospective "Lewis Baltz".

Quick/early critiques/observations for what they're worth:

The Evans book is certainly the best overview of his works I've seen--Evans being a great influence for me. The original Topographics show had such a great sway on subsequent landscape photography the photos now seem fairly standard--this is not a bad thing, just an observation of influences. Sudak's works are beautiful examples of studio portraits of the period. Polidori's "Petra" is a gorgeous presentation...beautiful abstractions printed on beautiful matte pages. I came away from the Baltz retrospective liking his early work even more than I did originally, however, I simply found nothing of interest in his last projects. Like the Baltz retrospective, I found in Divola's retrospective work that is variable--some projects enjoyable and some not so much.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2065
LukeBanks

I am waiting on delivery of J A Mortram's book 'Small Town Inertia' after backing it on kickstarter. He is a carer and photographer working predominantly with sufferers of mental illness and produces incredible black and white portraits of his subjects that couldn't be more humanely presented if he tried. The images are accompanied by quotes and passages from the subjects themselves, offering an insightful and often moving narrative of the current plight of social care and mental health services in the UK.

If anybody is unfamiliar with his work I would highly recommend checking it out. The book is currently being finalised and published by Bluecoat Press and seems to have hit close to home for an awful lot of people. In these polarised political times it is an exemplary body of work made in the finest of documentary traditions.

http://smalltowninertia.co.uk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2066
stephen.w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I came away from the Baltz retrospective liking his early work even more than I did originally, however, I simply found nothing of interest in his last projects. Like the Baltz retrospective, I found in Divola's retrospective work that is variable--some projects enjoyable and some not so much.
I must say, I enjoyed the Venezia Marghera series. As the original book was apparently limited to forty copies (!), with a suitably eye-watering price, the new retrospective is ASFAIK the only the only way for us ordinary folk to see this work.

Also recently received:

The Helen Levitt retrospective published by PowerHouse;
Max Kozloff - New York Over the Top (an art critic's unremarkable street photos);
Eyes Wide Open! 100 Years of Leica photography; and
New Documents, 1967.

Old 6 Days Ago   #2067
pressureworld

I just picked up these two, both are really wonderful.

Julius Shulman Modernism Rediscovered
Ernst Haas: Color Correction: 1952–1986

Old 6 Days Ago   #2068
Black
Photographer.

Ravens by Masahisa Fukase, published by Mack Books.

Stunning.

Old 5 Days Ago   #2069
seany65

A 1962 edition of the Focal Press guide to the full Agfa Silette range.

It seems that my Agfa Ambi Silette, with it's combined rangefinder/brightline finder window and '35, 50, 90' order means it's from 1957.

Old 4 Days Ago   #2070
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Ravens by Masahisa Fukase, published by Mack Books.

Stunning.
Thanks for the confirmation. I have only one book by Fukase, called 'Yohko', and I've been meaning to add Ravens for at least the last 20 years but always missed the boat, so I've finally taken the plunge today and ordered this new edition.

Old 4 Days Ago   #2071
Beemermark

Control System Technology by Robert Bateson

(hey, some of of us have to keep the lights on)

Old 3 Days Ago   #2072
TerryMcC

Capa's "Slightly out of focus", a great read.
Just received, "War/Photography: images of armed conflict and its aftermath", Museum of Fine Arts, Houston