Old 11-06-2007   #41
PetarDima

Here we go! New shots with EFKE KB 400 ( pushed + 1 f-stop, 15 min in Microphen 1:1, 20 C, agitation 5sec. - every 30 sec. ). As usual, I have many
shots underexposed, funny many shots could be done with ISO 100, but I used
this film for hard test: daylight, night, low light. I must say again: I love this extra
sharp lens, but I need something wider - I think that some street shots just ask for
wide and close-up shooting! ... and EFKE, Efke is old school film, pure sadness

All photos are without corrections, only resized.
Cheers, Vlad.

Old 11-07-2007   #42
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag
The "white spots" are sign of separating lens elements in the front group. Normally they are glued together with Canadian balm (or synthetic substitute), which can deteriorate with time.
After some more research, it appears there are 3 theories about the spots: separation, crystalline growth or coating defect. Hard to tell which one is correct without taking a lens apart..

My Flickr

Old 11-07-2007   #43
NB23
-

Good stuff, Petar!

Old 11-07-2007   #44
PetarDima

Thank you, I've tried to do my best

Old 11-07-2007   #45
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
The "white spots" are sign of separating lens elements in the front group. Normally they are glued together with Canadian balm (or synthetic substitute), which can deteriorate with time.

After some more research, it appears there are 3 theories about the spots: separation, crystalline growth or coating defect. Hard to tell which one is correct without taking a lens apart..
As mentioned in my earlier post its impossible for it to be lens separation and deterioration of some cement or balsam as the front group only consists of only one element. (Please see attached lens diagram)

Quote:
I haven't seen the lens disassembled only read about this issue - often mentioned as element separation. What I can confirm is that under first glass are small particles which look like bubbles, so you're probably right. i just wonder, why they look sheer if their origin is in black/white paint. Could be these are crystals from glue balsam?
The white spots start at the rim of the lens not in the optical path where it is coated in black paint to reduce internal refections. At this stage it appears as a ring of while spots. (You can see the flat sides in the lens diagram where the white spots begin.) The fact that it starts here at the sides means it cannot be a coating flaw (for only the spherical/optical side are coated) or glue from elements glued together as there are no other elements.

The crystal theory is the only valid one. The crystals leach out of black paint and begin to form around the edges. If not cleaned and allowed to continue they become so abundant they dislodge from the edges and find their way onto the inner surface of the front element. At this point they can etch into the coating. (this is where the faulty coating myth comes from) At this stage it does effect image quality and is irreversible in its damage.

The last myth with regards to the white spots is that if it hasn't happened now it never will. Not true either. One 28mm Rokkor I had only last year that showed no white spots at all and I took it out on a very hot Australian summer day, by the time I got home there was a ring of the white spots, clearly leached out by excessive heat. So keep those 28mm Rokkors cool boys and girls especially if you have only one or 2 spots appearing. If it hasn't progressed to the lens surface get the edge of the front element cleaned and repainted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28mmRokkorDiagram.jpg (15.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Palaeoboy : 11-07-2007 at 08:29.

Old 11-07-2007   #46
Graham Line

Interesting, Joel. The block diagram helps to understand it. I wish someone would post a photo of the spots.
A local dealer here had an M-Rokkor 28/2.8 for sale that had a very uniform circular donut pattern of small and smaller round dots, that looked like it could have been between elements 2&3 from the front -- sort of like the dot pattern on a CLE shutter but very symmetrical.
I'm still trying to work out what that might have been -- they offered to let me try the lens out but were asking far too much to consider buying it.

Thanks for the photos, Petar. They tell me much more than discussion and it's a fascinating look.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 11-07-2007   #47
nikola

Vlad... love second from bottom.

Old 11-07-2007   #48
PetarDima

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikola
Vlad... love second from bottom.
second from bottom? ... strange, some people said to me : It's too dark!
Funny that man is Boba Hammer, official distributor of Efke film for Serbia

Old 11-07-2007   #49
PetarDima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brugger
Interesting, Joel. The block diagram helps to understand it. I wish someone would post a photo of the spots.
A local dealer here had an M-Rokkor 28/2.8 for sale that had a very uniform circular donut pattern of small and smaller round dots, that looked like it could have been between elements 2&3 from the front -- sort of like the dot pattern on a CLE shutter but very symmetrical.
I'm still trying to work out what that might have been -- they offered to let me try the lens out but were asking far too much to consider buying it.

Thanks for the photos, Petar. They tell me much more than discussion and it's a fascinating look.
thank's I hope that
I'll be able to shoot with something wider -
I've spent a lot of time to understand that RF photography gives best results with 50mm & wider

Old 11-09-2007   #50
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
A local dealer here had an M-Rokkor 28/2.8 for sale that had a very uniform circular donut pattern of small and smaller round dots, that looked like it could have been between elements 2&3 from the front
Joe what you have observed is the classic case of white spots on the rim of the front element. Although it looks deep at the second and third element thats just an optical illusion as you gain a magnifying effect as you look through the front element itself. You can see the 2 flat sides on the lens diagram that angle each other at approx 120 degrees. This is where the white spots occur but remember that the front element is round and when you view the spots from the front they will appear as a perfect donut shape.

Old 11-09-2007   #51
hmarum

I sold mine...

Last edited by hmarum : 11-09-2007 at 10:29.

Old 11-10-2007   #52
NB23
-

Old 11-25-2007   #53
ferider

Bumping this up to share two shots taken with a very late Summicron-C
that even seems multicoated. On Reala 100:

No complaints about the bokeh

Roland.

Old 11-26-2007   #54
monster

This lense is small in size small in price but build amazing result

I just sold one, :-(

Old 11-26-2007   #55
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by endustry
I sold one of these a couple years ago but recently re-acquired one. Both of mine have been stiff focusers but the picture quality is amazing. I currently use mine as the everyday walkaround lens on my MP. Even though it's already super compact, I make mine more so by unscrewing the rubber hood and using a generic metal 39mm screw-in cap. Together it's not much thicker than a Canon G9.
Would a regular screw-in 39mm UV filter work on this lens?

Old 11-26-2007   #56
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

A regular 39mm filter will cross thread, but be snug and stay put without damage.

Old 11-26-2007   #57
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb
A regular 39mm filter will cross thread, but be snug and stay put without damage.
Thanks for the info

Old 11-26-2007   #58
sepiareverb
Dead ringer for Mr Grinch

The elusive series ring is the 'correct' piece, but I think less than a dozen were ever made

Old 12-01-2007   #59
Krosya
Konicaze

Not a Summicron, But M-Rokkor 40/2:

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 12-03-2007   #60
Vincenzo Maielli

Hi, dear friends. All your shots are very nice (Ned and Ferider particultarly). I also own a Summicron C 40 mm f/ 2 and i found that is an excellent performer. I love the 40 mm focal lenght.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

Old 12-03-2007   #61
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Maielli
Hi, dear friends. All your shots are very nice (Ned and Ferider particultarly). I also own a Summicron C 40 mm f/ 2 and i found that is an excellent performer. I love the 40 mm focal lenght.
Ciao.
Vincenzo
So where are the pictures?

Old 12-03-2007   #62
chikne
-

Is it usable with a 40mm external finder?

Old 12-03-2007   #63
hans voralberg

For 40mm you might as well use the internal one

Lens: Too many to list!

My Flickr

Old 12-03-2007   #64
chikne
-

Well, after spending the whole day shooting my rokkor, I found that I was having problems to make up the 40mm in my head.
It seems it could be easier with a lower magnification viewfinder though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB23
Well, Mike, my Noctilux thread is doing bad so let's hope it drives the Noctilux prices down
Hey at least you won't get flamed for starting a thread about an expensive lens =)

Last edited by chikne : 12-03-2007 at 15:08.

Old 12-03-2007   #65
hans voralberg

What body do you use ? I have a M3 and double up the thickness of the 50mm lines help Or shooting too much with it so you can immediately recognised its border ( I did it that way, waste quite a bit of film though)

Lens: Too many to list!

My Flickr

Old 12-03-2007   #66
ferider

I find M2 + 40 to be difficult. M3 and M6 + 40 work well.

Roland.

Old 12-03-2007   #67
dacaccia
X-Pro2_X70_CLE_R3a

a yesterday's shot with my new RD-1 and Cron-C 40:

center.jpg

Old 12-04-2007   #68
thafred
silver addict

OMG I totaly overlooked this thread! The Cron-C was my everyday lens for quite some time now.
It is my only Leica lens and I allways thought highly of it. however the focus action is very stiff and if I need to refocus it isnīt manageable in fast situations...thatīs why I got a VC Nokton 40mm..still trying to figure out if the Nokton can hold a candle to the Cron-C (at 1.4 thereīs no contest but at smaller apertures and medium distance I doubt the Cron-C can be bettered!)

I use the M6 and filed my Lens mount down to get the 35 Framelines. never had a problem with that combination. Now I shoot with my M4-2 and the FL fit nicely too!

my Flickr stream is full of Summicron-C shots but here are some of my faves:

the detail and rendition of tones is simply amazing IMHO.
Wich lens gives me the same rendering but better mechanics? guess I have to go for a summicron-M?! but which version? (VI?!?)

My Flickr gallery

photographer at www.seconds2real.com

Old 12-04-2007   #69
chikne
-

Nice shots!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans voralberg
What body do you use ? I have a M3 and double up the thickness of the 50mm lines help Or shooting too much with it so you can immediately recognised its border ( I did it that way, waste quite a bit of film though)
I use an M4 .

Old 12-04-2007   #70
chibaken

Superb - a decent discussion about these lenses at last. I have the 40/2 Summicron-C and it's the only RFF lens I've ever used - it's outlasted 3 bodies and counting - a Leica CL, a Bessa R3A, and now it's on an M7 (hopefully the last body it will sit on now!), and it was the only lens I used on a recent round the world trip.

The only problem I have is that I find it hard to justify buying a 35mm or 50mm lens to complement it - I mean, is 5mm wider worth it?

Old 12-04-2007   #71
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
the detail and rendition of tones is simply amazing IMHO.
Wich lens gives me the same rendering but better mechanics? guess I have to go for a summicron-M?! but which version? (VI?!?)
The Summicron-C's do have stiff focusing, it seems a trait of this lens. The CLE Rokkor which has a similar rendering and a conventional M cam have very light focus so you may like to switch to one of them instead.

You mentioned you had the 40mm Nokton already? Well in fact at f2 to 4 you should notice that the Nokton has greater resolution and contrast. I would give it a good try before swapping your Summicron for a CLE Rokkor.

Old 12-04-2007   #72
thafred
silver addict

thank you very much for the advice Joel!
I have the Nokton for a month now and havenīt had the chance to use as many fine (slow) films with it as with the cron (about 20 rolls with the nokton but mostly 400-1600, only two 50asa) so Iīm still searching for the texture the cron gave me in the Nokton shots.
The handling of the nokton is perfect for me so I really hope youīre right and that itīs as excellent as the Cron (or even better you say! :-) )
Rokkors are very rare in Europe but I seriously think about them! the Cron-Cīs size and weight with my home made Lens cap is soooo right!! the perfect lens for me except focus...Iīll have an eye on the next rokkor crossing my path :-)
thank you again
fred

p.s. just noticed you write CLE rokkor..do CL rokkors focus as stiff as the Cron-C?

My Flickr gallery

photographer at www.seconds2real.com

Last edited by thafred : 12-04-2007 at 10:57.

Old 12-04-2007   #73
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaeoboy
The Summicron-C's do have stiff focusing, it seems a trait of this lens.
True. I just got a like new one, that was stiff since in the box and unused
since many years, and relubed it. Pretty straight forward if
anybody wants to know how ...

Roland.

Last edited by ferider : 12-04-2007 at 11:41.

Old 12-04-2007   #74
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
p.s. just noticed you write CLE rokkor..do CL rokkors focus as stiff as the Cron-C?
Yes the first Rokkor has a firmer focus as well.

Old 12-04-2007   #75
photogdave
Shops local

My 40mm Summicron's feels pretty smooth without being too loose. Quite perfect really! Here's some images:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc4arff.jpg (104.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg sctv2arff.jpg (69.6 KB, 137 views)

Leica M4, M6, CL
Voigtlander lenses
Pentax Optio 43 WR
Olympus Stylus Epic
Rolleiflex TLR
Nikon F100, D70

My Gallery

Old 12-04-2007   #76
enochRoot
a chymist of some repute

all of the 40 summicrons i have owned have also been very smooth and easy to focus.

it is one of my all time favorite lenses!!

these were all shot w/ a dark red filter. films were neopan 1600, t-max (i think 100), and konica infrared (just the building shot w/ black sky).

Last edited by enochRoot : 12-04-2007 at 23:09.

Old 12-05-2007   #77
Paul T.

Great photos.

I will never part with my Summicron C. The best result have been with black and white on the CL or M3 - with which it works well if you use the whole VF frame. Didn't like it quite as much on the R-D1, as it's the FOV I really love, but all the same...

Old 12-05-2007   #78
Krosya
Konicaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaeoboy
Yes the first Rokkor has a firmer focus as well.
Not in my case - I have had both Rookors CL and CLE and they both focus the same - very smooth!

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 12-05-2007   #79
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
all of the 40 summicrons i have owned have also been very smooth and easy to focus.
The firmer focus of the Summicron over the CLE Rokkor should not be confused with being rough or unusable, in fact they focus smoothly and silently just in Comparison with the CLE Rokkor which if anything is a bit too light.

Quote:
Not in my case - I have had both Rookors CL and CLE and they both focus the same - very smooth!
Again its not a question of not being smooth just the amount of effort required to focus both examples. If your CLE 40 is not lighter in its focus than your CL Rokkor then I suggest it need a simple lubrication. I have owned and handled dozens of examples and all the CLE examples were almost feather touch to focus, the CL version although smooth were always firmer. I quite prefer the firmer action actually but each to his own.

Last edited by Palaeoboy : 12-05-2007 at 06:47.

Old 04-08-2008   #80
NB23
-

Been a long time since I posted something... Here is one from a month ago.