Film through a washing machine
Old 03-20-2017   #1
Jake Mongey

Film through a washing machine

After looking around for my roll of RPx400 today that i shot a few weeks back I gave up and went to check on the washing and you can probably guess where the film was.

Either way, does anyone have any experience in accidents like this? Any results would be great. I`m stand developing now in rodinol and have pre washed for a solid ten mins in running water just to try get rid of any further contaminents.

Should I be hopeful?

Old 03-20-2017   #2
oftheherd

I have never had to try to solve that problem. But I suspect if it was still wet when you found it, you will need to make sure any and all detergent is washed out. That probably means taking the film from the canister and washing it for longer than 10 minutes, to clear the emulsion. Also a longer wash will allow the emulsion to unstick from itself. Otherwise you will damage the emulsion when you pull it apart, since it will stick to the film base. I made the mistake of lack of attention to how I loaded sheet film into a tray. Makes a loud unsticking noise when you pull them apart. I never tried any experiments, just ensured I never did that again.

If you are lucky, maybe someone with an inquiring mind did do some experimenting and can advise you better.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2017   #3
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
I have never had to try to solve that problem. But I suspect if it was still wet when you found it, you will need to make sure any and all detergent is washed out. That probably means taking the film from the canister and washing it for longer than 10 minutes, to clear the emulsion. Also a longer wash will allow the emulsion to unstick from itself. Otherwise you will damage the emulsion when you pull it apart, since it will stick to the film base. I made the mistake of lack of attention to how I loaded sheet film into a tray. Makes a loud unsticking noise when you pull them apart. I never tried any experiments, just ensured I never did that again.

If you are lucky, maybe someone with an inquiring mind did do some experimenting and can advise you better.

Good luck.
Ugh, i unstuck it and loaded it onto a reel before washing so i have probably hacked up the emulsion

Old 03-20-2017   #4
Huss

Just develop it and see what happens. The film is going to be effected by the laundry.

There's an artist who soaked her film in her own urine and then shot and processed it. To some acclaim...

Old 03-20-2017   #5
znapper

Emulsion is also going to be pretty swelled, both from the heat, water and the detergent.

I would definitely develop it, just to see, but I would not expect trouble-free shots lol ^^

Old 03-20-2017   #6
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just develop it and see what happens. The film is going to be effected by the laundry.

There's an artist who soaked her film in her own urine and then shot and processed it. To some acclaim...
hmm... yes now i see it a metaphor for how life spins around. The processing reflects that - 500 quid an image

Old 03-20-2017   #7
DrMcCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

Well I dunno if that makes it 'art' but I'll give it this: It definitely subverted my expectations to do a 'pre-soak' before shooting the film.

Old 03-20-2017   #8
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
Well I dunno if that makes it 'art' but I'll give it this: It definitely subverted my expectations to do a 'pre-soak' before shooting the film.
Sad really. I thought I had already seen and heard of all the strangest things. Then along comes this; not only strange, but unsanitary.

Old 03-20-2017   #9
znapper

Urinol ^^

Well, theoretically, I suppose urine (ammonia), could be used as a part in monobath perhaps.

Old 03-20-2017   #10
Hatchetman

let us know how it turns out. I would have soaked it in H20 before trying to unroll it.

Old 03-20-2017   #11
Jake Mongey

Came out pretty well - theres intermittent staining but its very very minor and there was some marks on the first few shots.

I got very very lucky here! im waiting till it dries and will be wet printing tonight

Old 03-20-2017   #12
Highway 61
Revisited

I recently developed a film roll which had fallen down in the sea (the friend had it in its jacket pocket while playing with his kids on the seashore during the winter). At the end of the processing there were some oddities showing up of course, but it was fun.

Results and problems
Old 03-20-2017   #13
Jake Mongey

Results and problems

Heres my results which werre covered in marks and blemished but at least came out:

Heres a second one thats cleaner:

However on this portrait I was looking forward to seeing this happened. Is this emulsion damage or scanner error as it looks like a graphics problem digitally:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1+50 15 min Rodinol_20170319_0025.jpg (69.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 1+50 15 min Rodinol_20170319_0015.jpg (99.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1+50 15 min Rodinol_20170319_0018.jpg (89.0 KB, 60 views)

Old 03-20-2017   #14
Huss

Bummer that your images are so clean...
;p

Here is a link if you feel like being creative...

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...brigette-bloom

p.s. I'd never subject my cameras to that!

Old 03-20-2017   #15
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
Is this emulsion damage or scanner error as it looks like a graphics problem digitally
It looks as though it's a little of each. The streaks and stains above appear to be emulsion damage but the lower, geometric stuff looks like your scanner threw a tantrum.

Old 03-20-2017   #16
benlees

The scanner tantrum shot is quite interesting. You may have started something new!