Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

Old 10-14-2014   #81
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
Thank you so much! Only two of the listed 35's even fit -and they both focus. What about the uncoupled adapter designed especially for wider lenses? Nothing fits? Or are non-metered M's not considered?
The list in this thread is based on RFF user input so there may be sample variations and minor changes during the course of production of a lens that are not taken into account here. To give you an idea of sample variations, I've tried three W-Nikkor 2.8cm f3.5 lenses (all about the same vintage) on my Amedeo adapter, and two of them caught on the adapter at 6 feet while the third one didn't and focused fine from infinity to three feet. They all looked identical, but there must have been a minor size difference in the lens barrel parts to cause this discrepancy.

No personal experience here with the wide angle adapter, but I do know it is uncoupled (so scale focus only) and shifts the lenses off center (downward) a mm or two so the rear of the lens clears the focus cam on the camera. It should work ok with both metered and non-metered cameras.

Old 10-14-2014   #82
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
I love, love, love my coupled Amedeo and Contax 50/1.5 Sonnar! I would like to add a 35 Biogon to the mix, but I find myself a bit confused. For reference, the following is from POST #2 for convenience...

35/4.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Orthometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
pre-WWII Carl Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
post-WWII Jena ("E. German") coated version (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss ("W. German") Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Carl Zeiss Planar (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)

Now, the Amedeo site shows the regular adapter as coupled for 50 and above and that wider lenses will not focus. Also available is one that is uncoupled for 35, etc. that will allow fitting large rear element lenses to non-metered M bodies. So, from the above list, some show that they will mount AND focus, and others that will not mount. Is the list, the Amedeo site, or something else in/out of synch? Thanks!!!
the way to shoot the larger rear element lenses on another camera,
including the Biogons, 35/1.8 Nikkor, 50/1.1 Nikkor,

Is to use the Rayqual SC to NEX adapter
on a Sony A7 or A7s.

Stephen

Old 10-21-2014   #83
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
the way to shoot the larger rear element lenses on another camera,
including the Biogons, 35/1.8 Nikkor, 50/1.1 Nikkor,

Is to use the Rayqual SC to NEX adapter
on a Sony A7 or A7s.

Stephen
Thanks, and sorry, I have been out of town.

My first goal is to find a match to my Contax mount 50/1.5 that I can use on an M4 body with my existing Amedeo coupled adapter. I was hoping to use the 35/2.8 Biogon, but it would seem I will have to go with the Biometar.

Shooting on digital with adapted lenses would be secondary.

21mm Biogon @ Minolta CLE?
Old 02-23-2015   #84
jdvf

21mm Biogon @ Minolta CLE?

Did anyone try to attach a 21 mm Biogon via Amedeo's wide-angle adapter to a Minolta CLE?

According to his web site it it will only work with unmetered cameras. But I recently found an article in a Chinese blog where the author successfully matched lens and camera. Unfortunately I do not understand Chinese and the Google translation is quite poor. But maybe anybody of you has tried this combination (or can help me with the translation of her statements concerning the CLE)?

Of course I contacted Amedeo and Chnchen (the author of the blog post) before raising this question here. Amedeo thinks it would not work because of the light meter. But maybe it cow work due to the fact that it is positioned a the bottom of the camera. No answer from Chchen so far.

Greg

Old 03-04-2015   #85
jamesliaopiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvf View Post
Did anyone try to attach a 21 mm Biogon via Amedeo's wide-angle adapter to a Minolta CLE?

According to his web site it it will only work with unmetered cameras. But I recently found an article in a Chinese blog where the author successfully matched lens and camera. Unfortunately I do not understand Chinese and the Google translation is quite poor. But maybe anybody of you has tried this combination (or can help me with the translation of her statements concerning the CLE)?

Of course I contacted Amedeo and Chnchen (the author of the blog post) before raising this question here. Amedeo thinks it would not work because of the light meter. But maybe it cow work due to the fact that it is positioned a the bottom of the camera. No answer from Chchen so far.

Greg
That article doesn't actually mention about how he attach a 21 mm Biogon to a Minolta CLE , I'm also leaved question before but even don't receive any answer.

I have tried to use Amedeo's adapter to attach a 21mm Biogon on Minolta CLE, it's works but rangefinder can't coupled and you need to remove the protector on the rear.

I will try to take some photos and will show the outcome lately.

here's 21mm Biogon on Minolta CLE.

Old 03-31-2015   #86
jamesliaopiop

Here are some photos take by Minolta CLE + 21mm Biogon and Amedeo adapter. It's works fine just need scale focus.

Old 04-14-2015   #87
Srono

Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to buy nikon S to LTM instead of S to M? So we can use LTM-M adapter to change frameline in M if necessary? Is there any drawback from doing such (e.g. more prone to focus error)? I understand that S-M adapter will enable 50 frameline.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015   #88
furcafe

Yes, if you have LTM bodies & Nikon RF lenses in various focal lengths it certainly makes sense to buy an S-LTM adapter. However, I think there is a greater chance for the focus to be off because of the higher tolerances that are required to make a thinner adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srono View Post
Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to buy nikon S to LTM instead of S to M? So we can use LTM-M adapter to change frameline in M if necessary? Is there any drawback from doing such (e.g. more prone to focus error)? I understand that S-M adapter will enable 50 frameline.

Thanks!
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Using Amedeo adapter nikon S2 lens to LTM Leica
Old 05-07-2015   #89
bkarasek

Using Amedeo adapter nikon S2 lens to LTM Leica

I bought the Amedeo adapter because I wanted to mount my Nikon S2 lens, 50/1.4, 85mm, 105, and 135 on my 2 LTM Leica iiic, Zorki 1, and Zorki 4. The only lens that mounts and works properly is the Nikon 50/1.4. the 85, 105 and 135 are extremely difficult to mount and when they mounted. the lens will not lock pproperly to the adapter. I found that out when I mounted the 135 and it promptly fell off. When I do succeed in locking it, focusing becomes problematic. To turn the focus ring on the lens, I have to hold the bottom of the lens and use brute force to turn the focus wheel, lenses, that focus easily on my nikon S2. If I don't hold the base of the lens, then the adapter starts to unscrew from the camera. The adapter is made up of two rings, the back ring that screws into the camera and that back ring holds the rotating focus scale that normally matches the focus scale on the lens. Problem is that there is binding between the two rings, back and front rings, that it is nearly impossible to turn the focus ring on the lens barrel, unless you apply force. The ring on the adapter that should turn loosely, does not turn unless force is applied. It is too tight and will not rotate freely.

If anybody asks, I would not recommend that adapter. I will be asking for a refund.

Old 05-07-2015   #90
Corran

Email him, it seems you have a dud, I am absolutely sure Amedeo will send you a replacement or refund (he posts on this forum).

I have 3 Amedeo adapters and they are all fantastic and work perfectly, including with the lenses that you mention.

Mistakes happen. That said, with the adapter off the camera, is it still a problem to move the focus ring? Is it possible it is binding with something on the camera? I have a Leica III and my adapters work on it fine.

Old 05-08-2015   #91
bkarasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Email him, it seems you have a dud, I am absolutely sure Amedeo will send you a replacement or refund (he posts on this forum).

I have 3 Amedeo adapters and they are all fantastic and work perfectly, including with the lenses that you mention.

Mistakes happen. That said, with the adapter off the camera, is it still a problem to move the focus ring? Is it possible it is binding with something on the camera? I have a Leica III and my adapters work on it fine.
Hello, I emailed Amedeo and he is sending me another adapter. I think that this was the one in a hundred dud. Even off the camera, it is very difficult to turn the focus ring on the adapter... anyway, looking forward to using it. Now I`ll be able to use all my Nikkors with my leica iiic`s and Zorki 1 and 4.

Old 05-12-2015   #92
weihsuan

Adding to the list ..

Both lenses work well with Amedeo adapter for M mount

Carl Zeiss 5cm f3.5 Tessar Rigid (Post war)
Carl Zeiss 8.5cm f2 Sonnar (Post war)

Old 05-12-2015   #93
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srono View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
I use an Amedeo S-mount to LTM adapter (second copy actually, I had sold the first one together with a Millennium Nikkor 50/1.4) and it works with my screwmount Leicas (Leica IIIb, IIIc, IIIf) and my M-Leicas using an LTM to M-mouunt adapter. I have not experienced any focus problems but the only S-mount lenses that I have left and use are the Nikkor-H-C 5cm 1:2 and the W-Nikkor 35/2.5.

The second adapter was from another batch, the shape of the adapter base had changed to a knurled design. That adapter needed some lubrication initially because it was rather rough (I applied a tiny amount of white grease for lenses sold at Yodobashi camera in Tokyo) and now it turns very smooth.

flickr
pBase

Old 11-15-2015   #94
Alberti

I am looking at a Nikon-S M-adapter, but I basically see two on the Amadeo site.

A plain one:

Above is the Dedicated-adapter-for-Nikon-Nikkor-S-50mm-rangefinder-to-Leica-M;
and

On the right, a [non-dedicated?] adapter for a Nikon S2/S3 lens. but the text talks about a Nikon-S lens.

This confuses me.
  1. Is the first one only 50mm, and the second one also for other types like 35/85mm?
  2. Or is it that the latter has an improved lock lever?
  3. Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?
As well I read about compatibility. Fine.
  • How does it work when another lensed is attached, for the three lines heads the movement is quite different (if I apply well what I learnt at school: a 35 mm lens travels less than a 85 mm lens to shift the same focus, i.e. moving the RF patch.
Appreciate some insight I have not seen the answers for here on this dedicated thread.

Old 11-15-2015   #95
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberti View Post
Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?
No, all Nikon rangefinder cameras have the same mount - mechanically the same as Contax RF, but spaced and geared for Leitz (51.6mm) rather than Zeiss Ikon (52.3mm) normals.

By the way, the proper terminology would be Nikon RF, not Nikon-S or Nikon-S2. The latter is too ambiguous, as "Nikkor-S" is a nomenclature actively used by Nikon themselves for lenses, while Nikon have never used a dash in its rangefinder camera naming.

When searching eBay for "Nikon-S" you'll find far more seven element SLR Nikkors than Nikon rangefinder lenses. Up to the mid seventies, Nikon had a lens nomenclature built around "Nikkor-[first letter of latin word for the number of elements]", and most sellers don't make enough of a distinction between Nikkor and Nikon.

Old 11-15-2015   #96
Alberti

Thanks.
Looking at it again,
maybe the difference between the two adapters is:
  • the "simple" one has a tab, this is used to focus.
  • The complex one, there the lens itself is rotated and this will be transferred via the cam to the "body/adapter" helicoid.

And if they are the same with respect to lens heads, the first one fits "better" on the M-240 because live view can be used to do a little bit of semi-macro.

Old 11-15-2015   #97
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Thanks.
Looking at it again,
maybe the difference between the two adapters is:
  • the "simple" one has a tab, this is used to focus.
  • The complex one, there the lens itself is rotated and this will be transferred via the cam to the body helicoid.
Wrong. The "simple" ("dedicated") one has only the internal bayonet - hence it will only fit the 50mm lens. The more complex regular one has both the internal and external bayonet, and will fit 50mm lenses as well as wides and teles.

Old 11-15-2015   #98
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
  1. Is the first one only 50mm, and the second one also for other types like 35/85mm?
  2. Or is it that the latter has an improved lock lever?
  3. Or is it that there is a secret difference between Nikon-S and Nikon-S2?
Yes the first is only for 50mm lenses that fit using the internal bayonet. Note some 50mm lenses fit externally only (eg a version of the f1.1 lens)

No

No, all Nikon rangefinders use the same mount.

Note some Nikon rangefinder lenses lenses will still not mount to the Leica even with the 'universal" adapter as they physically interfere with the Leica focussing mechanism eg the 3.5cm f1.8

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-18-2015   #99
Erik van Straten

Jon, I've made a test shot with the CZ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 I got from you. Lovely to put such an old lens sometimes on a Nikon. Contrast is pretty good. Nice old fashioned effect.

Nikon S2, CZ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 prewar uncoated, Tmax400.

Erik.

Old 12-18-2016   #100
jmanivelle

Hi all,

modifying an Amedeo 50mm Nikon S to Leica M adapter,

Bertrand Costuas has adapted a 5cm 1.1 Nikkor S internal mount lens to Leica M.

It is RF coupled from 0.60 m to infinity.

Informations and photo here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/costuas....95673283980972

Here are a couple of shots taken on a Leica MMv1:

Nikkor 5cm 1.1
by JM__, on Flickr

Nikkor 5cm 1.1
by JM__, on Flickr

Nikkor 5cm 1.1
by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers, JM.

Old 12-27-2016   #101
jmanivelle

Taken with the Nikon 5cm 1.1 on a Leica Monochrom

Zoom
by JM__, on Flickr

Zoom
by JM__, on Flickr

Old 12-27-2016   #102
jmanivelle

Disgressing from the Amedeo adapters initial topic,
a couple of 35 W Nikkor 1.8 S lenses from some 2000 S3 sets were modified to M mount by Miyazaki San.
I bought one of them from a RFF member some time ago.
Here some shots taken with M bodies.

Sunday morning fishing
by JM__, on Flickr

Ici c'est Paris !
by JM__, on Flickr

Best, JM.

Old 12-27-2016   #103
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanivelle View Post
Disgressing from the Amedeo adapters initial topic,
a couple of 35 W Nikkor 1.8 S lenses from the 2000 S3 set were modified to M mount by Miyazaki San.
I bought one of them from a RFF member some time ago.
The reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens is from the SP Limited Edition set released in 2005. The S3 2000 sets came with the Millennium Nikkor-S 50mm F1.4 lens, which is a reissue of the Olympic Nikkor from the early 1960s. I know of three reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lenses that have been converted to M-mount by Miyazaki-san, and I personally got two of them converted. I do not recommend the conversion though as its a destructive one way conversion. Once converted, its not possible to restore the lens to its original form. Also, the focus cam is a just a piece of plastic tube that is glued on and filed down to shape. I spent hours carefully filing down that plastic on one of the lenses I got converted to fix severe back focusing.

Old 12-30-2016   #104
jmanivelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
The reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens is from the SP Limited Edition set released in 2005. The S3 2000 sets came with the Millennium Nikkor-S 50mm F1.4 lens, which is a reissue of the Olympic Nikkor from the early 1960s. I know of three reissue W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lenses that have been converted to M-mount by Miyazaki-san, and I personally got two of them converted. I do not recommend the conversion though as its a destructive one way conversion. Once converted, its not possible to restore the lens to its original form. Also, the focus cam is a just a piece of plastic tube that is glued on and filed down to shape. I spent hours carefully filing down that plastic on one of the lenses I got converted to fix severe back focusing.
Yes, thanks for correcting my post, my bad about writing too fast and mixing up the SP and S3 editions .
My 35 1.8 W Nikkor is fine focus wise and has sn 2042.

Cheers, JM.