Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

View Poll Results: Sell it all?
Sell everything and replace with MP a la carte. 56 38.89%
Don't do it! 33 22.92%
Just sell some and keep the most used gear. 40 27.78%
Sell it all and repaint my M2. 15 10.42%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2016   #41
MCTuomey

If the move to a new MP (and maybe keeping one MF rig) buys you freedom from gear pondering and concentrates your shooting, then do it.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-15-2016   #42
Nowhereman
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It always amazes me that people will give purchase advice to someone they don't know and knowing little or nothing about the type of photography they do or what their creative intentions are...do what YOU think is best. No offense intended, but this is an important personal decision, and the only one who truly cares what you do is you...
John - Of course you're absolutely right. The most absurd thread title I've seen was on photo.net some years ago, "I'm going to Cracow what film should I take?" Now, that is classic.

Old 12-15-2016   #43
Robert Lai

Since he has several medium format systems, I have to assume that he likes the "medium format aesthetic". My original answer is as many others have said: keep at least one MF camera or system, then sell the others.

My own feeling is that you pay a lot more for a new MP ALC, but if that's your heart's desire, then so be it. I would still think a lot about making do with the M2.

Old 12-15-2016   #44
JChrome
Street Worker

My MP is amazing. But I'm still buying MF equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2016   #45
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
There is certainly a very different look to medium format. Typically, the depth of field is much shallower. This is not a look that you can replicate by opening up a Summilux to f/1.4, however.

Don't forget that with the leaf shutter models, you have flash synch all the way to 1/500. With any Leica M, the flash synch speed is 1/50. Try that on a sunny day with ISO 400 film when you want some fill flash.
2 stop ND filter and flash output reduced by 1 stop did the trick for me.

I agree on the effect of different DoF when comparing 35 and MF, though.

flickr
pBase

Old 12-16-2016   #46
Fraser

If you don't want/use the gear sell it, but if it was me I wouldn't buy a new mp when you can save a lot on secondhand. Must say I had an mp a few years ago and don't get me wrong they are lovely cameras but I just always went back to using my m2.
Good luck with what you decide the good thing is it's not life and death and if you do change your mind you can always sell the mp (and if you buy secondhand you will loose hardly anything).

Old 12-16-2016   #47
michaelwj
----------------

Sell it all and buy the MP.

What is there to lose?

They're only cameras, it's not like you're selling you first born! If you decide you can't live without one or two pieces, then you can always but them back. It's far easier to come up with $1000 than $5000 in one hit down the track if you need to.

Old 12-16-2016   #48
maitani

did the same a while ago, but went M7 alc route,
almost sold the M7 this year, now I'm glad I didn't , it's a keeper.
so decluttering is a good way to focus on creativity again. if you feel it's right, it's going to be right, and a ALC Leica is always something special.

Old 12-16-2016   #49
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Regardless of purchase, I'd sell the gear I haven't used in a long time.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 12-16-2016   #50
leicapixie

Medium Format simply kills 35mm in analog.
The quality is there with a hefty price tag in cost of materials,
equipment and ease of usage.
Not knowing your needs, one cannot really give advice.
If it were me..
1. Keep the M2.
2. Keep the Rolleiflex.
3. Add an MA or MP not "a la carte".
Think harder.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2016   #51
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_ View Post
If it was me I would have kept the M2 with the 35 and 50 + Contax T2 and sell everything else.. if you want to 'upgrade' the M2 I think you should look at getting an M4 instead of an MP.
This. I haven't used or even fired an MP but I just don't believe it could match a good, well serviced M2. What frame lines would you get in an MP? All those fiddly extras? And the incorrect framing in comparison to the M2's glorious clean 35 and 50 frame lines? I've been from M2 to M4 to M6 and M5 and back to Leica II but still the M2 is the best for film I've used. Yes I liked the quick load of the M4 but I could easily live without it. The meter of the M6? Brilliant but I prefer hand held.

An MP is a camera you might choose to afford, not one to lose your jewels to stake. It isn't worth it. And a la carte has superficial attractions, but true happiness lies in relaxing with the vanilla version off the shelf.

Old 12-16-2016   #52
Hogarth Ferguson

If this was me, I'd keep the Mamiya 7, sell the rest, and get the MP

Old 12-16-2016   #53
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhittle View Post
It would almost be a straight swap if I do this.
Are the Mamiya and Fuji mf going for a few thousand these days? If not I don't see anything close to a straight swap.

Old 12-16-2016   #54
:: Mark

I would argue that photographic true happiness comes from making amazing pictures, not from owning cameras.

Ultimately, only the OP can know what photographs they really want to make, and what camera (and lens, film, processing, lighting, composition, intent, ...) are needed to make them.

Old 12-16-2016   #55
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I can attest for the pleasant experience of handling a Leica MP. It's designed to be unforgettable... BTW, have the OP done that?
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 12-16-2016   #56
aizan

Sell everything, then wait and see what you regret selling the most.

Old 12-16-2016   #57
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
This. I haven't used or even fired an MP but I just don't believe it could match a good, well serviced M2. What frame lines would you get in an MP? All those fiddly extras? And the incorrect framing in comparison to the M2's glorious clean 35 and 50 frame lines? I've been from M2 to M4 to M6 and M5 and back to Leica II but still the M2 is the best for film I've used. Yes I liked the quick load of the M4 but I could easily live without it. The meter of the M6? Brilliant but I prefer hand held.
Richard,

I see wisdom in what you write. I like the meter in camera, but if you don't why not remain in love with the M2?

Also a question because I have only owned a M4 and never a M2. Are not the framelines the same? BTW I think the M4 frames are the best Leica made, but I have no experience shooting a M2 because I never owned one.

Cal

Old 12-16-2016   #58
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
Sell everything, then wait and see what you regret selling the most.
That's funny, but it also hurts. LOL.

Cal

Old 12-16-2016   #59
mlu19

Do a simple experiment, and see if you can stop yourself from visiting this forum for a month. 90% of the conversation here is about gear in my eye. I told myself three years ago that a digital Leica would be the end game of my camera acquisition journey, but I still visit this forum daily to check out what is listed on classified. Now, I've definitely thought about getting an MP to cure the film end-game itch .. but would it really?

Old 12-16-2016   #60
nickla

I didn't sell all my gear, but I recently traded in a milk crate full (yes, I literally filled a milk crate with gear) of stuff all for an MM240 and found it totally worth it.

I say do it!

Get what you want, make yourself happy!

You will probably just buy it all back eventually anyway!

Old 12-16-2016   #61
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
That's funny, but it also hurts. LOL.

Cal
+1. My my head is hurting at the simplicity and beauty....

Old 12-16-2016   #62
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Richard,

I see wisdom in what you write. I like the meter in camera, but if you don't why not remain in love with the M2?

Also a question because I have only owned a M4 and never a M2. Are not the framelines the same? BTW I think the M4 frames are the best Leica made, but I have no experience shooting a M2 because I never owned one.

Cal
Cal, I've realised that if I just stopped with my first film camera the M2, I would still be happy 40 years later. After using the M9 and Monochrom, which I would not be trading for an MP, I look in the M2 finder and nearly fall over with that clean uncluttered 35 or 50 view. I got the M4 for the 135 frames which sit inside the 35, but I now use a SHOOC external finder for the best view at that focal length. The M4 is as good as the M2 except the 35 frame addition of 135.

Old 12-16-2016   #63
twhittle

Oh dear, lots to read and see here! Thank you for all of your divergent opinions.

After spending all day printing Mamiya 7ii negs in the darkroom I think I am siding more with the chap here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvinh2000 View Post
Think about the end results. More format allows you to create different kind of pictures. The leicas are good with fast paced work. But when you have time, mf forces you to slow down interact w your subjects and when the light is right its so much better. Im on the opposite camp thinking of leaving leica and just shoot my mamiya 6/rollei combos. Final results matter use what you need to make them. Dont have to trim your tools too much, there will be time you want a diff kind of pic then switch around your tools. Get an mp though if thats what you like to have. It wears off though i have lot of friends who trade their mp for m6. I like metered leica, i hate overconfidence then have under exposed negs.

Old 12-16-2016   #64
narsuitus

Quote:
So what should I do?
You should do what will make you happy and what you can fiscally justify.

I, on the other hand, know exactly what I would do.

For the longest, I have wanted an MP. With the exception of the 50mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2 lenses and the Nikon FE with the 85mm f/2 lens, I would sell everything else to get the black MP with 35/50/90 frame lines. Eventually, I would sell the Nikon and 85mm to get a Leitz 90mm f/2 lens.

Old 12-16-2016   #65
huddy

Ultimately it's going to be up to you to select the photographic tools you enjoy/need to make the images you want to make. Or just use the tools you derive the most pleasure from if you don't care too much about the final images. I think the suggestion to make a list of pros/cons and be analytical is absolutely the right thing to do because having to replace gear that you later with you wouldn't have sold can be difficult/painful (spoken from experience). Also, you shouldn't rush to sell any gear if it's something that brings you joy in using/owning or helps you get the results you want that can't be produced using other tools.

If you want to scratch the MP itch, I'd suggest trying to rent/borrow one before selling off the rest of a collection. I've owned 2x M6TTL's, and handled an M4 and M3 in stores. The M3 was the smoothest of all, but my M6TTL never leaves me feeling like I'm getting the short stick. If it's just the frame counter and flash sync that drive you bonkers on the M2, I'd just consider swapping the top plate or purchasing an M6/M6TTL, swapping the top plate, and having an MP finder upgrade and removing any framelines other than the 35/50/90. That'd get you pretty much the same camera and allow you to keep MF equipment if desired, or take the extra money and go to some cool places to shoot said camera.

Old 12-17-2016   #66
twhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It always amazes me that people will give purchase advice to someone they don't know and knowing little or nothing about the type of photography they do or what their creative intentions are. Take a long walk and contemplate your choices. Or make a list of pros and cons. Then follow your instincts and do what YOU think is best. No offense to your or anyone else here, but this is an important personal decision, and the only one who truly cares what you do is you.

John
John, I appreciate this a lot. At the end of the day it is the images I want to make that will dictate my gear.

I think I am pretty settled for 67 for my serious work; I just want to have a Leica with me all the time rather than the many different cameras I ponder over.

I will most likely keep the Pentax 67 and the Leica; although I have just seen a very tempting Big Logo M6 for sale that would be excellent if the framelines were cleaned up. . . Is GAS curable?

Old 12-17-2016   #67
sara

For me, if I wasn't using any of the other gear, and I know I would be using the Leica more, then I'll just get the Leica.

Unless you have sentimental values with the other cameras...

Old 12-17-2016   #68
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
If you like 'pretty', consider a mint M6 Millennium edition body at a much lower cost.
Plus one!!

Old 12-17-2016   #69
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
... I have just seen a very tempting Big Logo M6 for sale that would be excellent if the framelines were cleaned up. . .
And likely much cheaper than an a la carte.

Quote:
... Is GAS curable?
Yes, just be sure you are far from any other flammables, depending on how long you've been suffering the explosion can be rather powerful.

Old 12-17-2016   #70
skopar steve

Most of us have sold off equipment to finance the piece of equipment we have always wanted (at that point in time). The initial outcome is our taking pleasure in photography and spending more time making images.

For me a kit consisting of a body and three or four lenses meets all my photographic needs. So I have a Fuji kit for digital and an Olympus kit for film. So the answer for me would be sell off everything but the Leica lenses, get the MP, build a lens kit around it, and get out there and start running thru copious amounts of film.

Old 12-17-2016   #71
sanmich

It's really in the owner's mind, and about his wallet.
I'm thinking of moving the other way around:
The MP is certainly a great camera, but for me, an M6 is almost as good (I have the 0.58 MP), at one third of the price. lugging around very expensive gear makes me nervous, and I seem to prefer having multiple, lower value cameras as backups one for the other.

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 12-18-2016   #72
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Cal, I've realised that if I just stopped with my first film camera the M2, I would still be happy 40 years later. After using the M9 and Monochrom, which I would not be trading for an MP, I look in the M2 finder and nearly fall over with that clean uncluttered 35 or 50 view. I got the M4 for the 135 frames which sit inside the 35, but I now use a SHOOC external finder for the best view at that focal length. The M4 is as good as the M2 except the 35 frame addition of 135.
framelines are easy to change, you could have the M9and Monochrom lines done up to match the M2.

Old 12-18-2016   #73
jim0266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
As for the Leicas, keep the M2 for your 50mm, and buy a 0.58 MP for your 35. They both offer a similar eye relief with the viewfinder magnification, and there are no 135 frame lines in a 0.58. I use this as a two body travel combination and love it!
Sell whatever you don't use or want in order to add the MP, but that's entirely your choice.
Good luck!
Cheers
J
I like this solution. I have a .58 MP and it's great for a 35.

Because Leica shrank the frame lines in the later M's after the M4-2, the 50mm in particular is frustrating to use as so much more is recorded on film. That why I use one of my M2's when using a 50.

Resetting the M2 film counter is something you can learn to do. It's a habit.

I would also keep your favorite MF and SLR cameras. It's nice to have those options if only to mix things up to spark creativity.

I've been down this road too many times and know how easy it is to get lost in your own head. The Leica experience is about seeing through the rangefinder and the images you make. It's nice to have a body you love to fondle, but when you are in the zen moments of actually making images it doesn't matter which M is in your hands. All that fades into the background as you are immersed in act to seeing through the RF window.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2016   #74
gb hill

Quote:
I think I am pretty settled for 67 for my serious work; I just want to have a Leica with me all the time rather than the many different cameras I ponder over.
. . Is GAS curable?
You have NO Barnack Leica in your line up? An MP will just make you paranoid to carry...I mean 5K...really? Sell a few camera's & get a nice IIIC or F or G & some screwmount glass. Liberate yourself...having that Barnack with a collapsible elmar or summitar in your pocket is very nice & inconspicuous...and yes this will cure GAS.

Old 12-18-2016   #75
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0266 View Post
... It's nice to have a body you love to fondle, but when you are in the zen moments of actually making images it doesn't matter which M is in your hands. All that fades into the background as you are immersed in act to seeing through the RF window.

Good luck!
Unless you want a meter in the VF.

Old 12-18-2016   #76
jim0266

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Unless you want a meter in the VF.
Sacrilege!

Old 12-18-2016   #77
DanskDynamit

Keep the Mamiya, sell the rest, go on a world tour, enjoy.

Old 12-18-2016   #78
Roger Hicks

This evening, for dinner, I had the choice of fillet of pork, or duck breast (magret de canard).

Which should I have had?

Not "Which would you prefer?" but "Which should I have preferred?"

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-18-2016   #79
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
This evening, for dinner, I had the choice of fillet of pork, or duck breast (magret de canard).

Which should I have had?

Not "Which would you prefer?" but "Which should I have preferred?"

Cheers,

R.
Or you might have preferred -- Honey-roasted breast of duck with smoked belly of pork, caramelised endive and ceps?
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/rec...st-ceps-endive

Old 12-18-2016   #80
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Or you might have preferred -- Honey-roasted breast of duck with smoked belly of pork, caramelised endive and ceps?
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/rec...st-ceps-endive
It was sushi tonight for me, but staring at sable for tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos