Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Only a 12MP M 4/3 and 25mm Summilux?
Old 05-17-2017   #1
raid
Dad Photographer

Only a 12MP M 4/3 and 25mm Summilux?

I want to travel very light (to Italy). This implies that I want to keep camera equipment to a minimum for size and weight.

Would I really lose anything by using a M 4/3 with a very good lens, and make it my only outfit?

I tried it out a few days ago in a trip to Germany. It was so relaxing not to have any checked luggage and to have one small and light camera.

I am so tempted. What do you say?

Thanks.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-17-2017   #2
traveler_101
American abroad

Very often I do the same on my trips, especially shorter trips but sometimes transoceanic ones too.I take either the IIIf usually with the collapsible Elmar 3.5 or the E-P1 with the 17mm, if I want digital. Just about to go to Denmark and Germany and will take the Leica.

Old 05-17-2017   #3
crsantin

I took a trip to Florida last year and brought only my Oly EP-2 with the Panny 14mm 2.5. Nothing else. I was very happy with the images and did not feel like I missed out by not having other lenses. Take what the camera/lens gives you and don't worry about. Think about all the time you will lose changing lenses, hauling gear, and trying to decide what lens to mount and when. Pick one camera and one lens and go. These days for travel I carry a Sony RX100 and usually a film camera like the Konica Hexar. Everything in a small shoulder bag. No more hauling gear around for me.

Old 05-17-2017   #4
Harry Caul

I use a m43+25mm for nearly all my every-day shooting. Granted 50mm equiv. is my preferred focal length so I never feel like I'm missing something.

Also, if you are out to save weight/size, I find the Oly 25/1.8 renders so closely to the PanaLeica 25/1.4 that the latter is not worth the extra bulk.

Old 05-17-2017   #5
peterm1

Increasingly I have gone for lighter gear when I travel, leaving my heavy and large Nikon DSLR camera and lenses behind. On a recent trip to Bali I only took my Olympus OMD EM5 but I did take a 3-4 lenses too - never been able to quite cope with one lens only. With M4/3 kit it is all small enough, lenses included, that you can do this without breaking your back while also using carry-on baggage so no camera gear needs to be checked into the baggage hold (always a scary proposition for me given issues of damage and loss). My problem is that I like to at least have one longer lens for more distant street shot portraits etc, a wider lens for interior shots and at least one fast lens for low light work. But if your style allows you to get away with one lens I say go for it. My only two gripes with M4/3 is that (a) its low light performance is not as good as say late Sony E series or FF kit and (b) the angle of view prevents really wide angle shots - many of mine had to be stitched when I was shooting interiors. But the lightness makes it worthwhile, as does the high lens quality. 12 mp is not really an issue as this is still plenty for shots that will only be shown on screen. But if you really want to only take one lens, a wider lens and a large mp camera would be better to allow cropping when closer shots are needed. BTW I did take a 25mm Summilux with me - but it was the larger one designed by Leica for the original Panasonic 4/3 camera. Its comparatively large compared with the native m4/3 equivalent but ultra nice rendering (and its a sexy lens I have always lusted after).
A couple of typical shot from that series of Bali images, which show nothing was lost in image quality:

Lonely sea, lonely sky Jimbaran Bay Bali by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Faces of Bali 4 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Old 05-17-2017   #6
majid
Fazal Majid

I've never been impressed with the image quality of the 12MP (pre-Sony) m43 cameras and would prefer something like a Fuji X100 series or a Ricoh GR II. My own EDC camera of choice is the Sony RX1RII, which is very expensive, but the original RX1 is now quite reasonable on the used market.

Old 05-17-2017   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks for all the feedback. The other alternative is using only the M9 with the 35mm Summilux or the small Canon 35/2.

Old 05-17-2017   #8
Michael Markey

I use a 12mp A7s with a 28 Summicron
I'd prefer some more mp but up to now it's been a very useful combo .
I usually carry a 50 Summicron too .

Old 05-17-2017   #9
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

A point to consider is that the micro 4/3 system was designed to be just that, a system. You might consider one of the native lenses for your camera rather than the summilux.

Old 05-17-2017   #10
Swift1

Probably my all time favorite digital sensor/camera is the 12mp Olympus E-P1.
I have sold 12"x16" prints in a gallery from the E-P1 and 17/2.8. If you don't need to print larger, the 12mp won't be a limitation.

If I was taking a trip and wanted to travel light with only one digital camera, the aforementioned combo would be my choice.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 05-17-2017   #11
steve kessel
steve kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. The other alternative is using only the M9 with the 35mm Summilux or the small Canon 35/2.
M9 and 40mm Summicron if you have it

Old 05-17-2017   #12
jsrockit

It depends... if photography is the focus of the trip, then I go with something more substantial. If the trip is for relaxing with my girlfriend, then I bring something compact.

Old 05-17-2017   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
A point to consider is that the micro 4/3 system was designed to be just that, a system. You might consider one of the native lenses for your camera rather than the summilux.
This Summilux is made by Panasonic for the M 4/3 system.

Old 05-17-2017   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Probably my all time favorite digital sensor/camera is the 12mp Olympus E-P1.
I have sold 12"x16" prints in a gallery from the E-P1 and 17/2.8. If you don't need to print larger, the 12mp won't be a limitation.

If I was taking a trip and wanted to travel light with only one digital camera, the aforementioned combo would be my choice.
I may just take the E-PL1 and the sharp 25mm/1.4 for a 50mm view, plus maybe a Zeiss Planar 50mm/.1.4 for a 100mm view. Maybe just the 25mm lens.

Old 05-17-2017   #15
Mackinaw
Think Different

If I was in your shoes, I’d probably take my Canon EOS-M with the 22/2.0 pancake lens, and that would be all. I do prefer traveling light.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-17-2017   #16
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
I want to travel very light (to Italy). This implies that I want to keep camera equipment to a minimum for size and weight.

Would I really lose anything by using a M 4/3 with a very good lens, and make it my only outfit?

I tried it out a few days ago in a trip to Germany. It was so relaxing not to have any checked luggage and to have one small and light camera.

I am so tempted. What do you say?

Thanks.
In 2016 I went to Moscow with old Panasonic 8MP P&S with Leica zoom for pictures I didn't wanted on film and I wanted digital. At the second half of the trip I had new M-E with me, but I continued to use mostly this old P&S. Much less hassle and to be afraid. I printed some pictures from it on 4x6 in addition to 8x10 darkroom prints from this trip. The joy is adequate. Almost

Old 05-18-2017   #17
robert blu
quiet photographer

i always ask if the trip is made to make photos and in the answer is yes much gear, different bodies, different lenses, tripod, etc etc is useful.
But if the goal of the trip is the experience, is to see places, to meet people, to enjoy life in a different place in this case a minimalist set is my way to go.

An few years ago with Simo we took part in a workshop in Prague, beautiful experience and I shot only with the Leica x1 with all its limitation and the fixed lens 36mm eq. It worked out well.
Sometimes traveling with the M7 and two lenses: one on the camera and the other in the hotel safe: one day shooting 35, another day shooting 50...for me it works...

For the upcoming trip to Camogli I'll bring with me only the Holga...

Just kidding I'll bring the M10 (I know you are curious) and the 35 cron also because my 50 cron is in Wetzlar for 6 bit coding and be brought to digital specs plus a general control.

Of course when traveling by car is easier to have one more camera or something more just in case I desire to shoot something different (like my Polaroid 340) or as back up. Thinking about this an instant camera Polaroid or Impossible is oft an addition in my bag...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-18-2017   #18
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Last year I won a university photography contest with my 6-year old M4/3 camera (E-P3) and the consumer level 17mm f/2.8 pancake lens. Straight out of camera 12MP jpg. You gotta love the blue and green from those Oly bodies.

Before I re-jumped into film photography the E-P3 stays in my bag all the time. Plus I've taken the camera to various trips (lots of walking always) and I never felt I missed anything (bigger). When traveling I use the 17/2.8 for general things and Jupiter-8 for portraits.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 05-18-2017   #19
B-9
Devin Bro

only 12mp... lol

Ive survived on 2, then 4, then 8 and 10 now im up to 12.

I rarely print anything... let alone larger than a 11x14.

I can still make those prints with my 2mp D1 files, so im not sure how you would be lacking...

Have fun on your trip! Take the Summilux and M43 body.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-18-2017   #20
kxl
Social Documentary

Just my $0.02, but I personally think that's too narrow of an FOV for Italy.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-18-2017   #21
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Just my $0.02, but I personally think that's too narrow of an FOV for Italy.
Not to mention colors. My daughter went to France and Italy and I saw how colorful it was where she visited.

My choice would be a Fujifilm X100s or some other version.

My old GH2 with Lumix 20/1.7 was a great image maker.

Old 05-18-2017   #22
raid
Dad Photographer

I have the 17mm/2.8 for M 4/3, but the 25/1.4 is a much better lens.

Old 05-19-2017   #23
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
I have the 17mm/2.8 for M 4/3, but the 25/1.4 is a much better lens.
One lens on the camera, the other in the safe of your hotel room, the 17 in even days, the 25 for the odd days!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-19-2017   #24
Jim-st

My last couple of trips to Italy I've taken my M9 with 25ZM and 50 'Cron, but it's been my LX100 that's been the one that's done the bulk of the work. And the results have been quite impressive, imo. The 25-75 zoom with f1.7>2.8 is a very handy traveller's lens, well suited to Italian city streets and with some potential for landscapes too. I've taken to carrying it on my belt, in a lens pouch with belt loop.
Maybe this is OT, but it approximates a single lens M43 at about 12MP....

Enjoy Italy!

Jim

M9 : GX7 : GF1 : LX-100 : TZ10 : Trip 35 : Vito CLR : iPod Touch : Epson 3800

Old 05-19-2017   #25
ozmoose

I will be 70 in December. I'm still travelling, and in fact am now planning to spend three months in Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah from July and the end of the year in Indonesia. Travelling light has become much more important to me as I find I'm now not coping particularly well with a lot of luggage or heavy cameras with many lenses. My D700 is a superb camera but carrying it around in a backpack feels like a load of Portland Cement blocks...

I'm also lightening the gear load at home. Last month I had a big clearing out and sold two Fuji GA645i MF cameras, five old MF folders, and one of my two Nikon D90s. Flogging the D90 hurt a bit as it was my first DSLR and had shot less than 20,000 images shot (which pleased the new buyer). I have another D90 and I had intended to sell it also, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to part with it just yet and so I'll be using it for a few more months. I may take it with me to SE Asia as it and a 28 2.8 Nikkor would be lighter than my D700 with three lenses, which I've travelled with for the past few years. Less is better. Well, lighter is better, anyway.

I shoot a lot of colonial architecture, and for my next trip I'm pondering whether to take a film kit - likely a Contax G1 with 28, 45 and 90 lenses (or a 21 in place of the 90 which I rarely use - or a digital kit, ideally my D90 with 24, 35 and a 60 micro. These lenses suit my way of shooting but I know the Nikon DSLR kit wouldn't be much lighter than if I took my D700.

I did think of a Rolleiflex T with a 16 exposure kit and the barest minimals (lens hood, UV, close ups, and of course film) but have decided against this as I would find it too limiting. The Contax suits my eye and the Zeiss lenses produce superb results on film.

The D90 is ancient but still turns out RAW files I can do excellent 11 by 14s with on the few occasions I need prints.

In a pinch I could make do with the D90 and a 24 2.8D but the verticals in the buildings I photograph will then need careful attention. With the 24 or 28 on DX I too often find I have to return to a location and reshoot to fix up the tilts, but then the same often happens when I shoot with the D700. Using the grid helps, also a tripod and careful attention with a spirit level. Which often makes me feel as if I'm out shooting on 8x10 with a digital Gandolfi...

As an aside, my D700 is approaching its 200,000 clicks "anniversary" and as it has served me well, I am thinking about its future replacement with another Nikon. I have AF lenses from 20 up and a dozen pre AI and AI Nikkor primes, so I would like a Nikon that can handle this assortment, and is lighter to carry than the hefty D700.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(Added later) This is travel related, but (as usual) I digressed a bit, SWEIN! Should I post it in a new thread?

Last edited by ozmoose : 05-19-2017 at 00:55. Reason: Minor corrections to spelling, punctuation, spacing etc

Old 05-19-2017   #26
mcfingon
Western Australia

Here's a link to me using my EPM-2 and 14 and 45 lenses on a motorbike ride in 2014 Raid. But when I go to Europe this year I plan on taking the A7S with 24 and 50 Elmar-M's.
http://avcmc.iinet.net.au/mck/ocr_2014/ocr_2014.html

Old 05-19-2017   #27
ruby.monkey

I had a lot of fun with an E-PM1 and 25mm Summilux. The body is a little short of physical controls; but as a compact set-up which delivers lovely images, it delivers the goods.

12mp and a 25mm Summilux is still a pretty tasty combination.

Old 05-19-2017   #28
Dogman

I've recently been printing or reprinting some of my older digital photos. Among them are quite a few done with 12 MP Olympus or Panasonic micro 4/3 and Olympus standard 4/3 cameras. The quality is generally excellent and the converted Raw files have been printed as large as cropped 12x18 photos that look great. Of course the quality depends a lot on the lenses used--the old Olympus zooms for the Evolt DSLR system were really nice.

Personally I would probably carry two or more bodies with lenses (Fuji X100/S/T/F and Ricoh GR, both w/conversion lenses come readily to mind) but I like having a Plan B available. Yet for a single small, lightweight trip camera, one could do a lot worse than the 12 MP Olympus with good glass.

Old 05-19-2017   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
One lens on the camera, the other in the safe of your hotel room, the 17 in even days, the 25 for the odd days!
robert
This is a good tip, Robert. If we will hike up some hills in Camogli, I better stay light!

Old 05-19-2017   #30
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
This Summilux is made by Panasonic for the M 4/3 system.
And it is a stellar lens.

The Perfect Practice Rig, April 26, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Leicas, January 24, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Chimney Comes Down, January 19, 2013 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Orion From The Maui Shore, February 11, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Whale Tail, Maui, February 12, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Tele-Gib, December 23, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Local Fisherman, Mala Ramp, Maui, Hawaii, February 12, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

It did yeoman's work in Hawaii for me.

Old 05-19-2017   #31
raid
Dad Photographer

Thank you for the photos posted here.

Old 05-19-2017   #32
maggieo
More Deadly

You're welcome, Raid.

Hope they helped.

Old 05-20-2017   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

I just checked out some "options" at home. I lifted up the M9 and the SWC, and then I lifted up a small bag with E-P2 and E-PL1 (with a lens each). The latter was the lightest option. Now imagine having only the E-PL1 and the super light 25mm Summilux! I wouldn't even notice such a light set-up. I could then focus on enjoying a family vacation.
I may add one more lens to give me a wide angle option with the E-PL1. The light zoom 17.5-42 (or similar) by Olympus is sharper than the 17mm/2.8, I recall.

I returned to my photography cave , and I saw my Bessa L. It is feather-light. It takes the 35mm Summicron of Canon 35/2 or Canon 35/1.5, but it takes 35mm film and not 120 film. Is this a "problem"?

Be firm: Olympus E-PL1 with Summilux 25mm/1.4. Use the iPhone 6 as my wide angle lens.

Old 05-20-2017   #34
x-ray

On a trip to Italy a couple of years ago I just took my old Canon G10, 3 batteries and several large memory cards. It was everything I wanted in a camera for vacation pix plus I could carry it in a pouch on my belt. I shot raw and processed in Lightroom.

If I'm on a shoot for a client it's a different story. I stopped carrying equipment on vacation like I was on the job many years ago. I realized I never printed anything bigger than 8x10 and most often 4x6 for our album. I find it much more enjoyable if I'm not weighted down with a ton of equipment.

I'm now thinking about vacation this fall to several western states and national parks. I'm looking at buying a smaller and lighter body like a Nikon D7200 because I have a truckload of Nikon glass for my work and a few DX lenses. I'll probably take something like that and one or possibly two small zooms. It has to be small and light and fit my smallest bag.

Old 05-20-2017   #35
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
You're welcome, Raid.

Hope they helped.
They did. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2017   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
On a trip to Italy a couple of years ago I just took my old Canon G10, 3 batteries and several large memory cards. It was everything I wanted in a camera for vacation pix plus I could carry it in a pouch on my belt. I shot raw and processed in Lightroom.

If I'm on a shoot for a client it's a different story. I stopped carrying equipment on vacation like I was on the job many years ago. I realized I never printed anything bigger than 8x10 and most often 4x6 for our album. I find it much more enjoyable if I'm not weighted down with a ton of equipment.

I'm now thinking about vacation this fall to several western states and national parks. I'm looking at buying a smaller and lighter body like a Nikon D7200 because I have a truckload of Nikon glass for my work and a few DX lenses. I'll probably take something like that and one or possibly two small zooms. It has to be small and light and fit my smallest bag.
I have same thoughts on this issue. I want to enjoy the trip for the culture and people and food and history and such things. Photography happens naturally.

Old 05-20-2017   #37
mh2000

Not going to get into lens debates... I have 14/2.5, 17/2.8, Oly 25/2.8 and Oly 45/1.8... had the Oly 25/1.8 been available when I first bought my E-P1, it would have probably been the only lens I would own at this point... I just love it. (I'm just one of those "normal lens freaks!")

Regarding M43 as an only camera, I guess it depends on what you're shooting and what size you want to print. i really never print larger than 12x16" for gallery display and the 12MP sensor is just fine for that. I still shoot my E-P1 and am completely happy with the results.

Best!

Old 05-20-2017   #38
mcfingon
Western Australia

Check out the Panasonic 14/2.5 lens for travel Raid. It works well, weighs nothing, costs little and could be mistaken for a lens hood (slight exaggeration)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...m+2.5&_sacat=0

Old 05-21-2017   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2000 View Post
Not going to get into lens debates... I have 14/2.5, 17/2.8, Oly 25/2.8 and Oly 45/1.8... had the Oly 25/1.8 been available when I first bought my E-P1, it would have probably been the only lens I would own at this point... I just love it. (I'm just one of those "normal lens freaks!")

Regarding M43 as an only camera, I guess it depends on what you're shooting and what size you want to print. i really never print larger than 12x16" for gallery display and the 12MP sensor is just fine for that. I still shoot my E-P1 and am completely happy with the results.

Best!
The 25/1.4 made me consider my E-P2 or E-PL1 as an alternative choice for travel. It makes things overall easier for me. Having AF and IS together is a big plus in travel photography when you sometimes have little time for focusing.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-21-2017   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
Check out the Panasonic 14/2.5 lens for travel Raid. It works well, weighs nothing, costs little and could be mistaken for a lens hood (slight exaggeration)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...m+2.5&_sacat=0
Thank you for the tip, but at this stage I am content with the 25/1.4 and (maybe) also have with me the 14-42 zoom or the 17/2.8 (my only other two M 4/3 lenses).