Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 02-25-2017   #161
kb244

I've used Pentax lens for a while, which are mainly adapted to my Olympus digital now. And I used to have a Pentax K10D Digital along with an MZ-6 film body as a backup when I had more autofocus lens.

Right now I just have manual focus lens, and soon I'll have a fully CLA'd Pentax MX to go with those lens when not adapted to my Olympus.

So by next friday hopefully, Pentax Wise I'll have :

Pentax MX
Pentax SMC 28/3.8
Pentax-M 50/1.4
Rokinon 85/1.4
Tamron Adaptall SP 90/2.8 1:1 Macro

The last three I already had for several years.

Old 02-26-2017   #162
Pistach
Dilettante artist

I have a Pentax but I confess I am not Pentaxian.
It is my fault, I was not able to get satisfactory results compared to my Leica, Minolta and Nikon gear
I found I black KX. It is a beauty it was cheap and out of curiosity I bought it
I passed a couple rolls. It has a terrific potential but I was not able to exploit it
Now I want to sell it but I can only sell face to face because I am old and hill
So it will stay there in a cabinet under glass as a nice ornament
Cheers
Paul

Old 02-26-2017   #163
Scrambler

Well, I guess despite it being the RFF, and me having owned a few rangefinders, I started with Pentax and I seem to be going there again.

My Dad used a Canon FTb in the 70s, but his "old" camera was an Asahi Pentax S1a - so that was the first serious camera I got to use. Total manual, meter not included. Around 10 years ago I bought a Pentax K100D for my wife to use (I was not doing much photography at the time) and I inherited it when we discovered that it was still working after we had bought a new Canon DSLR for her (the Pentax was refusing to see memory cards - but really just needed its software updated).

With the forward and backward lens compatibility (and the kind donation of an ME and lenses from a friend), I find I am using the Pentax as a base for older and newer cameras - a Spotmatic is on its way and I have newer (MZ-60) and slightly older (PZ-1) automated fantastics. I tried to get something manual in the plastic like lynnb has referred to - but all end up having died the mirror cog death. I gather the 60 is immune - but I'm not holding my breath. The PZ-1 was a lucky find, which I thought was dead for a year before discovering the battery I had tested it with was the dead item.

I have prime lenses in the 28 to 135 range and zooms that cover everything from 18mm (alright, at APSC size) to 300mm - but the zooms are all Sigma.

Old 02-26-2017   #164
mabelsound

The only Pentax I have now is a black ME Super with 24-35 zoom. I lovely little combo.

The new KP is a handsome DSLR...curious to try one out.

Old 02-26-2017   #165
zuikologist

I find the MX and ME finders have more snap and easier to focus than the OMs and the P30 finder is fantastic for a budget camera.

It's great to have so many film SLRs to use and compare - all competent picture takers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I went through a Pentax period in my photographic life. I had a MX, a Spotmatic, two ME, two K1000, a P30 and one Z-1 during different periods.

I quite liked the MX but i sold it after i got an OM-1n - I liked the size and the ergonomics of the Olympus better. The Z-1 was a beautiful camera but rather over-complicated. A short while after I bought it, it developed a fault with the secondary mirror (it would not lift) so i had to let it go.

I was not impressed with the ME or the P30, not bad but nothing great either. Same goes for the K1000 - very reliable but left me rather cold.

I very much enjoyed the Spotmatic. I got it for peanuts with the 50f/1.4 and it was in perfect cosmetic condition. I like the looks and the smoothness of this camera, fit and finish was beautiful - a real child of the 60's. Eventually I ended up selling it - i was offered a significant amount of money for it, money that i re-invested in lenses/films and more cameras.
If you browse through my blog, i have reviews for all those cameras.

http://pansfilmcameras.blogspot.co.uk/

Old 02-26-2017   #166
shawn

I just put a roll of Trix through a new to me MX with the 40mm f2.8. What a fun little camera. Great finder and I like the shutter and F stop display in it. LED display is quick but a little hard to see in bright light. It is a quick shooter (for no automation) and I forgot how much fun it can be to shoot a manual SLR quickly like that. My F3 feels slower in manual as the +/- is a little slower to read than the LEDs.

Shawn

Old 02-26-2017   #167
narsuitus

I love well-built cameras. I shoot Pentax, Nikon, Leica, Fuji, and Contax 35mm cameras.

I love lenses with high image quality. I shoot Takumar, Nikkor, Leitz, Fujinon, and Zeiss lenses for 35mm cameras.

My Takumar lenses include 28, 50, 105, 135, and 200mm. My personal favorite is the 50mm f/1.4 8-element Takumar.

Pentax Spotmatics by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 02-26-2017   #168
narsuitus

My two smallest 35mm SLR cameras:

Kiron 28-70mm f/3.5 to f/4.5 on Pentax ME chrome body

Marexar--CX 80-205mm f/4.5 on Pentax ME black body

Pentax ME by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 02-27-2017   #169
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The KX and KM are my favorites.

The KX meter uses SPD cells for center-weighted readings.
Full exposure information is easily visible in viewfinder in normal light.
Shutter speed is displayed via a match-needle arrangement;
aperture via a small window, reflected from lens aperture ring.

Unlike the MX exposure indicators do not crowd the screen.
Shutter speed dial is considerably easier to operate as well.

The KM uses CdS cells for mildly center-weighted readings.
It uses the classic Pentax center-the-needle meter display.
It is simple, not distracting and sublime.

Both models have horizontal-run cloth mechanical shutters.
Both have mechanical self-timer and depth-of-field preview.
The KX has mirror lockup.

Chris

Old 03-13-2017   #170
cassel

Still having fun with my $9 Black SP! More pictures FROM the camera soon Also a "shout out" to Strapophilia on the craft -selling web-site...
My "tattoo-girl" strap is comfy and funky... hand made in Poland.

Gotta a 105mm f2.8 on the way as well-- that should about be it for the Pentax purchasing

Old 03-13-2017   #171
benlees

I've used numerous Pentax over the years. Currently just have a beat up MX, M 50mm 1.7, and a Vivitar 28mm 2.8.

I actually forgot that at one time I owned an LX! Obviously didn't leave an impression! Needless to say that cured my GAS for another one...

Old 03-13-2017   #172
charjohncarter

I have a bunch of SLRS and some Digital Pentax(s). My 1969 Spotmatic which I got in 1969 is still the one that feels right: small, tight, smooth, no plastic, works without a battery, the lens from that era a great, but the big love is the viewfinder. Now that I have trouble focusing it is my go to manual focus camera.

I also love my Pentax 6x7 from the same era, for all the above reasons except SMALL.

Old 03-15-2017   #173
Swift1

Just got this bad boy from Japan.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 04-08-2017   #174
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassel View Post

Still having fun with my $9 Black SP! More pictures FROM the camera soon Also a "shout out" to Strapophilia on the craft -selling web-site...
My "tattoo-girl" strap is comfy and funky... hand made in Poland.

Gotta a 105mm f2.8 on the way as well-- that should about be it for the Pentax purchasing

Follow-up with the brassy Spotmatic here. Got the 105mm f2.8 and shot more film! Here's some examples with the 105 first-

Here's a few with the dreamy 50mm f1.4 - my sample has some fungus but I'm not sure it matters especially with these forest shots:

Old 05-15-2017   #175
cassel

A few more with the brassy SP:

Old 05-15-2017   #176
jbielikowski
call me Jan

cassel, I have a twin brother to your SP, a 12$ one. And I just ordered 105/2.8 for it. I'm in the middle of the roll, gonna post picture of the camera tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2017   #177
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I'm on the lookout for a clean K2DMD or black KM body.

Chris

Old 05-15-2017   #178
dmr
Registered Abuser

Latest Pentax acquisition on left. Seems in great shape and even shows a wee bit of brassing. I'm gonna give it (actually both of these) a workout this weekend.

Old 05-15-2017   #179
WJJ3

Quote:
Follow-up with the brassy Spotmatic here. Got the 105mm f2.8 and shot more film! Here's some examples with the 105 first-

Here's a few with the dreamy 50mm f1.4 - my sample has some fungus but I'm not sure it matters especially with these forest shots
Wonderful! Shooting a Spotmatic in the Northwest is like putting butter on bread

Flickr

Old 05-15-2017   #180
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Latest Pentax acquisition on left. Seems in great shape and even shows a wee bit of brassing. I'm gonna give it (actually both of these) a workout this weekend.

MX: one of my dreams.

Old 05-15-2017   #181
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
cassel, I have a twin brother to your SP, a 12$ one. And I just ordered 105/2.8 for it. I'm in the middle of the roll, gonna post picture of the camera tomorrow.

Very cool - these cameras are under-rated in my opinion - cheap fun!

Old 05-15-2017   #182
narsuitus

The Leica M6 rangefinder and the Pentax ME SLR are two of my smallest 35mm cameras. When I need to carry just one lens and one small quiet film body, the Leica M6 is my first choice. When I need to carry one small expendable lens and film body, the Pentax ME is my first choice.

Small 35mm film Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 05-16-2017   #183
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Quote:
Very cool - these cameras are under-rated in my opinion - cheap fun!
and biuld like tanks, my technician told me he once repaired spotmatic half year after it was dropped into sea water.

Old 05-16-2017   #184
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
and biuld like tanks, my technician told me he once repaired spotmatic half year after it was dropped into sea water.
Similarly, I bought a chrome MX on the 'bay said to work but not the light meter and he didn't have a battery to test it. Hmmm.... I got it pretty cheaply, and indeed the light meter didn't work, even with a battery.
My local camera tech tore into it and reported his judgment that with the bottom plate area all corroded, it had probably sat for some time with salt water pooled in the base. Must have been dunked in sea water. The meter circuits were corroded, even the bottom of the lens mount was. But it worked fine sans-meter.
He was able to swap some parts with another MX and now it's fine...

Old 05-16-2017   #185
littleearth

Pentaxian always !
They are all a pleasure to use.

Old 05-16-2017   #186
Doug

Ah, you have on your 6x7 what looks like one of the handgrips made by Ino Yoon and sold on eBay. I have those on both of my 6x7 bodies... just what they needed for a more secure hold.
And, where's your Pentax Auto 110 for scale?

Old 05-17-2017   #187
JonWNC

I just started shooting with this $5 flea market purchase MX w/50m, 1.4. The 40mm was purchased at a local shop for under $30.
I really like the way everything handles. Pretty fun so far.

Old 05-17-2017   #188
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWNC View Post
I just started shooting with this $5 flea market purchase MX w/50m, 1.4. The 40mm was purchased at a local shop for under $30.
Some people have all the luck. $35.00: you could buy a lot of film before you hit a DSLR price.

Old 05-18-2017   #189
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Really lucky find.
I really like the compactness of MX+40/2.8, made me leave my rangefinders at home.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 05-18-2017   #190
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

A few years ago I donated all of my Pentax stuff (KX bodies (the film kind) and a few lenses) to a school. Now I'm slowly getting some back prompted a lot by the K-01 digital that I like. I've added an MX body that needs a CLA (slow speeds stick open) as I'm using digital less and less all the time. Most of my Pentax lenses are screw mount. Pentax glass has been quite nice since 1970 if not a decade earlier.

Old 05-23-2017   #191
JonWNC

Thanks for the comments.
Yes, it was a very fortunate find. I had been wanting an MX, I just could not bring myself to buy one on the bay. I had made several passes through the flea market that morning, and had bought a lot of other camera gear already, and thought I had found it all. On the last pass before leaving, I just happened to look over to a table and saw it there. I was in disbelief when the seller said $5! I couldn't pay fast enough, to say the least. I put new Goodman light seals in it, reglued one of the cover panels, and have almost finished an initial roll through it. The 40mm came from a resale shop. There's some fungus inside that I need to try to clean, I just can't get the front nameplate ring off (haven't had the time to make a serious effort really).
Really liking it so far....it's kinda drawing me away from my Olympus OM's........

Old 05-23-2017   #192
unixrevolution

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, it was a very fortunate find. I had been wanting an MX, I just could not bring myself to buy one on the bay. I had made several passes through the flea market that morning, and had bought a lot of other camera gear already, and thought I had found it all. On the last pass before leaving, I just happened to look over to a table and saw it there. I was in disbelief when the seller said $5! I couldn't pay fast enough, to say the least. I put new Goodman light seals in it, reglued one of the cover panels, and have almost finished an initial roll through it. The 40mm came from a resale shop. There's some fungus inside that I need to try to clean, I just can't get the front nameplate ring off (haven't had the time to make a serious effort really).

Really liking it so far....it's kinda drawing me away from my Olympus OM's........
Amazing deal, and Im glad to see a user rather than a "collector" got it :-D

The MX is just about perfect, I think. I have used OMs before, and find the MX to be superior in almost all regards. its the best 35mm manual SLR ever made, as far as I am concerned.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 05-24-2017   #193
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
(...) The MX is just about perfect, I think. I have used OMs before, and find the MX to be superior in almost all regards. its the best 35mm manual SLR ever made, as far as I am concerned.
Wait until you get your first LX...

Old 05-24-2017   #194
chrism

I acquired an SMCP-FA 85mm/f1.4 IF today. Heavy beast, but should be good for some portraits.

Old 05-24-2017   #195
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism View Post
I acquired an SMCP-FA 85mm/f1.4 IF today. Heavy beast, but should be good for some portraits.
That would be a treasure to have, Chris... except as you say, for the weight. I have a "KA" mount 1.4/85mm Zeiss ZK (manual focus) and it qualifies as a heavy beast too! Enjoy...

Old 05-25-2017   #196
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Am I a Pentaxian, I like to say I'm a Nikonian but a got a lot of Nikon gear, I have a fair bit of Canon FD gear, Olympus OM and a few Minolta bodies.

I guess this answers the question in my collection:

Asahi Pentax Model K,
Heiland Pentax H2,
Asahi Pentax SV in chrome and one in black
Asahi Pentax S1a
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, Spotmatic II and Spotmatic F,
Asahi Pentax KX in chrome and another in distressed black finish.
and one MX. Yeah, I'm probably a Pentaxian

The Allure of Unobtainium
Old 05-26-2017   #197
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The Allure of Unobtainium

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the rare - some say nonexistent - SMC Pentax-M 35mm f/1.4 lens.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/wide-angle/M35f1.4.html

Funny, I have zero interest in owning the relatively common 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor for my Nikon cameras...

Chris

Old 05-26-2017   #198
kshapero
My view

I will not read this thread. I will not be tempted to go down the excellent Pentax film rabbit hole. I will not. I am too invested in rangefinders and Nikon's. I will not.

BTW where is a good place to start?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-26-2017   #199
kuuan
plays with lenses

just for fun, some old Pentax commercials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtQKdVEHBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWDewkkkAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IOxR4BBXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r36HOCnF_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMD84IchXok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzSAMwPlQss

Old 05-26-2017   #200
dwojr

I have been shooting Pentax since I got my first ME Super in the 80s. Still have it and it still works. At the moment I have a bunch of Pentax film bodies as I keep finding them for little to no money around here. My only digital Pentax is the much maligned K-01 which I love for my old Takumars.