Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

X100T keeps missing focus
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
AlexBG

X100T keeps missing focus

Been taking a few pictures on the kids this morning, age 2 and 4 so they move around a lot. It's indoors so not very bright but the camera keeps missing focus. Been playing around with the settings, currently I've found best continuous focus multi point but it still misses 1 in 8 shots.

I changed from an X-T1 and kits lens to the x100T and this is my only complaint of the camera, the X-T1 I wouldn't have had a problem.

Anyone got any good settings that work or is it just the camera?

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Dogman

The X100 series cameras were never noted for being great on moving subjects. The X-T1 and X-T2 are better for this type of photography but even they are a little behind the best of the DSLRs.

Old 2 Days Ago   #3
bhop73

Gotta agree with Dogman. I had the original X100, now I have a T. Both aren't so great with moving subjects, although the T is better. (but it doesn't bother me since I don't shoot moving subjects often) Your workaround with continuous is about the best these cameras can do

Old 2 Days Ago   #4
infrequent

You will likely have better results using the back button focus method but 1 out of 8 missed shot is likely not a bad result given the subject and the known limitations of the x100 cams.

Old 2 Days Ago   #5
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBG View Post
I changed from an X-T1 and kits lens to the x100T and this is my only complaint of the camera, the X-T1 I wouldn't have had a problem.
Maybe in continuous the X-T1 may have done better with certain lenses, but in single point they are very similar. Was this indoors? If so, the X100T is not rated to focus well in very low EVs.

Old 2 Days Ago   #6
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Moving children and the X100 series are a no no.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 1 Day Ago   #7
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I'm looking for a 'cheap' Nikon D4s to photograph my kids in action...

My X-T1 is not really up to the task, especially in close range. None of my cameras is.

Old 1 Day Ago   #8
jsrockit

Hmmm, how did people photograph kids playing before auto focus?

Old 1 Day Ago   #9
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Hmmm, how did people photograph kids playing before auto focus?
A lot of younger photographers have grown up without ever having used a manual focus lens, so for them auto focus is the norm. Now they have kids. When auto focus lets them down, they look for a technological solution rather than adjusting their shooting style to include things like anticipation. My guess is that a significant portion of the out of focus shots are not as a result of lack of auto focus speed, but of the auto focus focusing on the wrong thing. You have to make sure the subject is in the auto focus area which requires you to think ahead. Another portion are likely out of focus due to motion blur, because the shutter speed selected by the program mode is inappropriate for the situation. That also requires some forethought. The OP did mention that it was not very bright when he was shooting, didn't he? Likely the camera selected a slow shutter speed coupled with a large aperture so you get the worst of both for action being in focus.

Old 1 Day Ago   #10
aizan

what kind of photos are people trying to take, anyway? i can't imagine why anyone would want to remember their kid running around the house going crazy.

Old 1 Day Ago   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
The OP did mention that it was not very bright when he was shooting, didn't he? Likely the camera selected a slow shutter speed coupled with a large aperture so you get the worst of both for action being in focus.
However, the X100T doesn't do well in light at less than 0EV. So, you can blame the AF in these circumstances. The latest X100F is closer to the -2Ev / -3Ev range. Going manual focus and or half press AF and anticipating is all you can do with the X in light lower than 0EV.