Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 10-21-2016   #3521
Alfonso B

Tack så mycket for the tip on a new element. Didn't even think they are still available I hope it cleans out as I'm on a budget here (paid ~130€ for it). I already noticed the beauty ring comes loose, was a bit worried as it is a fairly complex design with floating groups et all.

Last edited by Alfonso B : 10-21-2016 at 05:08. Reason: typo

Old 10-23-2016   #3522
blumoon

Recently acquired an Olympus OM-system F. Zuiko Auto-T 300mm 4.5.
Got my tripod collar yesterday and took the lens out for a test run this morning.
I noticed that there is no adjustment to the aperture. I can hear something shaking around inside the bottom of the lens. I'm guessing a broken or detached spring?
How difficult would it be to take the bottom off and see what the problem is?
Has anyone had this problem?

Old 10-23-2016   #3523
p.giannakis

Testing the silvernosed Zuiko 50 f/1.4 at full aperture.

Old 10-23-2016   #3524
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumoon View Post
Recently acquired an Olympus OM-system F. Zuiko Auto-T 300mm 4.5.
Got my tripod collar yesterday and took the lens out for a test run this morning.
I noticed that there is no adjustment to the aperture. I can hear something shaking around inside the bottom of the lens. I'm guessing a broken or detached spring?
How difficult would it be to take the bottom off and see what the problem is?
Has anyone had this problem?
Yes. Not on that exact lens, but on another Zuiko. The spring for the manual aperture change button is held in place by a plastic piece that has a post. On mine, the post had broken off. Taking the bottom off is simple. Just glue the post back in place with model airplane glue, get the spring in the correct position, and it is done.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 10-24-2016   #3525
Shab

It was a long time I didn't use my Zuikos because I don't have time to develop film... but this weekend I have used them on my X-Pro1. Here some examples:

Zuiko 28mm 2.0:

Zuiko G. 50mm 1.4:

Old 10-25-2016   #3526
Alfonso B

I cleaned the 24/2 and tried it on my X-Pro1. It's low on contrast, but sharp enough @2.8. F2 is really an emergency option.

Old 10-27-2016   #3527
Shab

One more with the 28mm 2.0:

There is a Zuiko 35mm 2.0 coming home... I hope I will enjoy it like the other Zuikos I have.

Old 10-31-2016   #3528
Shab

One more:

X-Pro1 + Zuiko G. 50mm 1.4

Old 10-31-2016   #3529
Alfonso B

Nice pictures. They make me think I should pay more attention to backgrounds and what kind of bokeh they "give" me.

I found out my K&F concept adapter was 0.17mm too short! That was enough to ruin the 24/2 performance (sharpness, contrast) so badly that I instantly noticed the difference looking through my OM-1n finder with this lens attached Having shot mostly non-internal focusing glass this did not cause any issues before. I used thin aluminium tape to shim it up to within 0.01mm.

Old 11-01-2016   #3530
Shab

Oh no! Alfonso, I have just bought an K&F concept adapter to use my Zuikos in my new Sony A7. :-(

Is this K&F adapter so poor in image quality?

Which adapter do you use to use the Zuikos in a Sony A7?

Thank you,
Xabier.

Old 11-01-2016   #3531
Alfonso B

You can measure the adapter's length with a caliber or a micrometer. For reference calculate the correct thickness using these dimensions: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

If it's too short, you can unscrew the flange and put something under it to make the adapter thicker, ie. aluminium foil, paper etc.

It only affects image quality with lenses with floating elements (some f2 wides, 90/2, maybe 85/2 and some others too?, All zooms allthough I didn't notice it with mine). Normally focusing lenses like 50's, slower wides and 135's are fine, they just go past infinity.

I just wish I had an a7 series camera so can't help you with that.

Old 11-02-2016   #3532
Shab

I have just received my K&F concept adapter for OM lenses to Sony A7. It is a bit hard to put attach the lens in it... but when I use it what I see from the viewfinder is GREAT. Contrast, sharpness... really great.

And the 35mm 2.0 shines... :-) :-) I hope I will be able to post some pictures later...

Old 11-02-2016   #3533
Shab

Here I am with some pictures from my first try with the A7 and my Zuikos. In this case, I have used the 35mm 2.0 and the 21mm 3.5.

Here are the examples:

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3534
Shab

The past weekend I played with A7 + Zuiko 21mm 3.5 combo. here you have two examples:

I like the combo a lot: small, light... and it seems the IQ is great. :-)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3535
Shab

Today I have been in a market and I really enjoyed with my camera and lenses. Here you have an example:

Sony A7 + Zuiko 50mm 1.4 MC

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3536
Richard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab View Post
Today I have been in a market and I really enjoyed with my camera and lenses. Here you have an example:

Sony A7 + Zuiko 50mm 1.4 MC
Beautiful shots as always Shab.

Do you prefer using your A7 with the zuikos more than the Canon 6D I think you used to have? I have always been put off the Sony by the thick adapter you need to use to mount the zuikos, compared with the very thin adapter I think you can use with the Canon.

Richard

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3537
Alfonso B

I cleaned the oily aperture blades of my 300/4.5 and snapped a quick group shot. Slip-on hoods for 35-70/3.6 (rubber) and 50/1.4 (metal) are coming in the mail. Next I need to get some OEM straps and a konica 24/28 rectangular slip on metal hood for the 24/2 as original is expensive and not good. I made a metal shim on my fx adapter. I didn't like how it looked so I made a groove for a zuiko focusing rubber.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3538
Shab

Thank you Richard.

Some time ago, I used a 5D "Classic". It is of a friend and sometimes I asked for it to him to use with my Zuikos, but it was a bit difficult to focus. So I didn't use the 5D a lot.

With the A7 it is really easy to focus because of its EVF (it's really good for me) and the size is really small and light, maybe too small (I'm thinking on getting a grip for the A7).

The adapter for the sony is really "big" if we compare it again OM-EOS adapter, but it doesn't matter too much to me. :-)

I love the character of the Zuikos. Yes, I know they aren't perfect and I don't want perfect lenses... the Zuikos are really small and have enough image quality to me.

Yesterday I was in a shop and I saw the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART... oh!! It is so big and it weights so much!! :-( I'm not looking for this type of lens... and the 85mm 1.4 is a monster... ;-)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3539
Richard Griffith

Quote:
Thank you Richard.

Some time ago, I used a 5D "Classic". It is of a friend and sometimes I asked for it to him to use with my Zuikos, but it was a bit difficult to focus. So I didn't use the 5D a lot.

With the A7 it is really easy to focus because of its EVF (it's really good for me) and the size is really small and light, maybe too small (I'm thinking on getting a grip for the A7).

The adapter for the sony is really "big" if we compare it again OM-EOS adapter, but it doesn't matter too much to me. :-)

I love the character of the Zuikos. Yes, I know they aren't perfect and I don't want perfect lenses... the Zuikos are really small and have enough image quality to me.

Yesterday I was in a shop and I saw the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART... oh!! It is so big and it weights so much!! :-( I'm not looking for this type of lens... and the 85mm 1.4 is a monster... ;-)
Thank you Shab, very interesting to know. I will have to look at the A7 again. I do love my X-Pro2 but would like to be able to use the zuikos more, at their correct focal length

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3540
ravilamir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso B View Post

I cleaned the oily aperture blades of my 300/4.5 and snapped a quick group shot. Slip-on hoods for 35-70/3.6 (rubber) and 50/1.4 (metal) are coming in the mail. Next I need to get some OEM straps and a konica 24/28 rectangular slip on metal hood for the 24/2 as original is expensive and not good. I made a metal shim on my fx adapter. I didn't like how it looked so I made a groove for a zuiko focusing rubber.
Very nice outfit.
Now, forget all that digicrap and use that OM-1, please.
A question: where did you get the 35-70 /3.6 hood? I'm looking for one for mine. It is the only hood that is missing for my Zuikos.

On another note and this is partially for you and for Xabier. I have a small request for you: could you post less digitographs, please?
The title of this thread is about OM cameras and the Zuiko lenses, not about some Fuji X or Sony A7 digi.
There are parts of this forum dedicated to those cameras where you can post all the pictures you want.
There's nothing wrong in posting one or 2 pictures from your digi devices if you are trying a new Zuiko lens, but almost an entire page?
That's a bit too much.
Besides this part of the RFF is for "Classic FILM Rangefinders and other Classics" I don't think that these modern devices are "Classics". Well, not yet.
Just something for your consideration.
Thank you!

P.S. I don't go around the Digital forums posting pictures from my film cameras, so I would appreciate that the digitographers do the same here. Please, leave us with just a bit of room for our film cameras, namely here the excellent OM series.
Thanks!
Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
A bunch of Nikons

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3541
ravilamir

I've been having some fun with an OM-2N and a Zuiko 50mm /1.2.
File0003 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

File0020 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

File0025 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

File0034 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr
A bunch of Nikons

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3542
Shab

ravilamir, you are right. Until your post I didn't notice that this was for film cameras. I thought it was about Zuikos... so I was sharing my passsion about Zuikos with you. But hey, you are right.

Sorry if I have hurt you with my photos...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3543
Fraser

Quote:
ravilamir, you are right. Until your post I didn't notice that this was for film cameras. I thought it was about Zuikos... so I was sharing my passsion about Zuikos with you. But hey, you are right.

It is about zuikos no one said they had to be attached to a film camera, even though at the moment I have two om2s a 4ti and a couple of 4s I have just bought an adapter for my canon dslr.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3544
Alfonso B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilamir View Post
Now, forget all that digicrap and use that OM-1, please.
Will do, sir! Bought it 6 months ago. I changed all the deteriorating foam and added a diode to the meter. While at it I made wooden bucks and took a dent out of the top plate. On my second roll now, the first one was a test and it seems to function perfectly. I prefer it over my Leica CL.

Quote:
A question: where did you get the 35-70 /3.6 hood? I'm looking for one for mine. It is the only hood that is missing for my Zuikos.
I got the hood luckily from an eBay seller in France for ~20€ including shipping. It wasn't specified as 3.6 hood but looked long and cylindrical just like the one on mir site. They seem to be rare or expensive, some sellers even tend to claim their f4 hoods as 3.6 because the castings just read 35-70.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3545
ravilamir

Quote:

You haven't. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
It is about zuikos no one said they had to be attached to a film camera, even though at the moment I have two om2s a 4ti and a couple of 4s I have just bought an adapter for my canon dslr.
I think you'll find it strange when you look up and see the title of the forum and sub-forum and see that this part is dedicated to SLR and Classic Film Cameras and there are people discussing Fuji X and Sony A7 which aren't even SLR.
You should use film more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso B View Post
Will do, sir! Bought it 6 months ago. I changed all the deteriorating foam and added a diode to the meter. While at it I made wooden bucks and took a dent out of the top plate. On my second roll now, the first one was a test and it seems to function perfectly. I prefer it over my Leica CL.

I got the hood luckily from an eBay seller in France for ~20€ including shipping. It wasn't specified as 3.6 hood but looked long and cylindrical just like the one on mir site. They seem to be rare or expensive, some sellers even tend to claim their f4 hoods as 3.6 because the castings just read 35-70.
Thank you!
Yes, the hood is a deed one. The fact is I found one in a shop, but the screw on the side was very stiff, so the sales assistant to it to a cabinet where he attempted to get it moving. He managed to break it. Ufff!
Have fun with the OM-1. They are additive: I have now 9.
A bunch of Nikons

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3546
Fraser

Quote:
You haven't. Thanks!

I think you'll find it strange when you look up and see the title of the forum and sub-forum and see that this part is dedicated to SLR and Classic Film Cameras and there are people discussing Fuji X and Sony A7 which aren't even SLR.
You should use film more often.

Thank you!
Yes, the hood is a deed one. The fact is I found one in a shop, but the screw on the side was very stiff, so the sales assistant to it to a cabinet where he attempted to get it moving. He managed to break it. Ufff!
Have fun with the OM-1. They are additive: I have now 9.
There is plenty of other threads in the SLRs-the unRF about dslrs, I use film plenty thanks.

Time to dust off the OM 1s
Old 1 Week Ago   #3547
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Time to dust off the OM 1s

A friend is getting re-married next month and wants me to photograph his wedding on film but wants nothing too fancy or too dear on my part, so I decided to go with Oly OM 35mm gear instead of the Hassy and Mamiya C330 of my wedding photography days of the 1980s and 1990s.

I want something lightweight in the camera bag of SLRdoom.

I figure two OM1 bodies, a 50mm lens and a 28mm lens and maybe the 85mm, plus two flash units and plenty of medium speed colour film should round out the kit. I will break my own rule and "No tripod" for this shoot, for portability's sake.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3548
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

sure do love my zuikos.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 1 Week Ago   #3549
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwasoyokaze View Post

sure do love my zuikos.
That does look sweet !

I would like to try the 55mm f 1.2 Zuiko on a classic F.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3550
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
That does look sweet !

I would like to try the 55mm f 1.2 Zuiko on a classic F.

that would make a lot of sense in terms of size.

the huge nikon body almost makes the small zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens shrink into the lens mount.

(also the setup above works with some caveats since the focusing screen blacks out by f4.8 and it is a stop down lens only.)

Monologue in Busan

Old 1 Week Ago   #3551
skopar steve

Quote:
A friend is getting re-married next month and wants me to photograph his wedding on film but wants nothing too fancy or too dear on my part, so I decided to go with Oly OM 35mm gear instead of the Hassy and Mamiya C330 of my wedding photography days of the 1980s and 1990s.

I figure two OM1 bodies, a 50mm lens and a 28mm lens and maybe the 85mm, plus two flash units and plenty of medium speed colour film should round out the kit. I will break my own rule and "No tripod" for this shoot, for portability's sake.
That should make for a neat wedding album. I'd take along some fast B&W as well. Hope you post some samples.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3552
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post
That should make for a neat wedding album. I'd take along some fast B&W as well. Hope you post some samples.
Yes, I was considering B&W, as I am a big fan of B&W, but they seem to be more interested in colour.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3553
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwasoyokaze View Post
that would make a lot of sense in terms of size.

the huge nikon body almost makes the small zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens shrink into the lens mount.

(also the setup above works with some caveats since the focusing screen blacks out by f4.8 and it is a stop down lens only.)
I didn't realise the om would work on the nikon mount thought it wouldn't reach infinity?

Old 1 Week Ago   #3554
ravilamir

Quote:

Good luck and enjoy it!
A bunch of Nikons

Old 1 Week Ago   #3555
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I didn't realise the om would work on the nikon mount thought it wouldn't reach infinity?
there is a difference of roughly 0.5mm between the two, the other way around would be iffy though.

the flange focal distance of the OM mount is 46mm and the F mount is 46.5mm.

Monologue in Busan

Old 1 Week Ago   #3556
David Hughes

Quote:

Hi,

At the last one I did, a long, long time ago, my wife wandered about with the XA2 and got some excellent shots that I could never have got. I guess the XA2 isn't so intimidating as a 'big' SLR.

Regards, David