Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Digital M Reported Problems - all Models

View Poll Results: Has your M9 M9-P ME MM had an issue with Sensor Corrosion?
Yes, I have had an issue diagnosed as Sensor Corrosion that required repair by Leica. 42 32.06%
I have not had any issues with Sensor corrosion I am aware of. 29 22.14%
No I have not had any issues with Sensor Corrosion. 40 30.53%
I have an issue that may be Sensor Corrosion but have yet to return my Camera for diagnosis. 17 12.98%
I have had multiple Cameras with Sensor Corrosion issues repaired by Leica. 2 1.53%
I have had problems with some cameras, not others. 1 0.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Digital Leica M Full Frame CCD Corrosion issue poll.
Old 12-27-2014   #1
f16sunshine

Digital Leica M Full Frame CCD Corrosion issue poll.

Maybe this will help shed some light on the issue Leica has admitted may occur with their Full frame CCD sensor Digital rangefinder cameras (M9, MM, and M-E.).
Maybe it won't. Either way. Please participate if you own one of these cameras.
Thank you.

Old 12-27-2014   #2
noimmunity
scratch my niche

In the year that I had the M-E, purchased new, it did not have any problems *that I noticed*.

Although used in a humid climate, it was always stored in an electric dehumidifier cabinet. Use of an Arctic Butterfly kept wet cleaning to minimum.

I was not aware of any potential sensor problems, so I had no idea of trying to evaluate sensor spots more methodically.

My M8 had to return to Solms for sensor remapping. The turnaround from Taiwan took more time and expense than I would have liked.

I am glad that I sold both cameras.

flickr
Flickr

Old 12-27-2014   #3
Pioneer

I have one MM that does not have any corrosion problem.

The M9 has been sent to Leica USA for cleaning 3 weeks ago. I have them clean the sensor annually. The last communication from them did not indicate there was a problem, but since they have not yet returned the camera I do not know at this point.

I'll wait to vote until after the camera is returned or I know different.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 12-27-2014   #4
Huss

There needs to be option # 5: repeat sensor failure after sensor replacement.

Then I can check that box.

Old 12-27-2014   #5
Vobluda

It would be interesting to see which camera has been affected the most - to differ from M9 / M9-P / Monochrom / M-E.

Old 12-28-2014   #6
VertovSvilova

My Leica M hasn't had any issues. But then again, it doesn't have a sensor either.

(The thread might be better placed in the Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"section instead of the Leica M Film Cameras section, no?)

Old 12-28-2014   #7
x-ray

My M9 sensor was replaced shortly after purchasing it new but there was no reason given.

Old 12-28-2014   #8
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Impossible poll: I have an M9 that is fine and an MM that is in for a replacement.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-28-2014   #9
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Impossible poll: I have an M9 that is fine and an MM that is in for a replacement.

For the sake of discovering how many RFF members have had troubled sensors, I would say you should vote that you have had a camera that required a repair.
Yes, you have another camera that does not have an issue.
Polls are not perfect. Comments may fill in for additional information.

Old 12-28-2014   #10
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
There needs to be option # 5: repeat sensor failure after sensor replacement.

Then I can check that box.
I added a poll response as a result of your above quoted reply.

Old 12-28-2014   #11
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

They certainly are not perfect. On Internet forums they tend to attract users with problems over people without. But no matter, I'll enter the required answer.
Edit - I just noticed you added an option covering my double answer. I voted wrongly, could you please remove my vote, so I can vote correctly ?

jaapvphotography

Old 12-28-2014   #12
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
They certainly are not perfect. On Internet forums they tend to attract users with problems over people without. But no matter, I'll enter the required answer.
Edit - I just noticed you added an option covering my double answer. I voted wrongly, could you please remove my vote, so I can vote correctly ?
Revising votes not possible with the admin software interface.

Stephen

Old 12-28-2014   #13
yossarian123
Sam I Am

My M9 has had the sensor replaced - monochrom is going strong. I used to wet clean the M9 - have yet to touch the MM sensor. I just use rocket blowers on both

Old 12-28-2014   #14
Benjamin Marks

I had a sensor issue with my M9 a year ago. Images looked like they had a lot of tiny dust motes on the top of each image (so on the bottom of the sensor). I sent it in and Leica replaced the sensor. No idea whether this was the infamous corrosion issue or not. So: had my sensor replaced once for reason unknown. Didn't vote in the poll...

Old 12-29-2014   #15
Revdockj

I have an M8 (7 years), an M9 (4 years), an M9-P (3 years), and an MM (3 months). Last week on Christmas day my M9-P developed the infamous sensor issue. I'll be sending it in. So glad Leica has seen fit to replace these sensors without cost. Only time lost.

Ken

Old 12-29-2014   #16
raid
Dad Photographer

My M9 sensor and board were replaced last summer for no parts costs but about $500 for labor. I had half of each image blackened out. I suspect it was not the sensor issue that is being discussed.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-29-2014   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I'm kind of amazed that all the stürm und drang over this issue is still going on. And at the level of vitriol and enfranchisement that I see people responding with. It's been a couple of months now, I'd thought Leica's determination to just fix the cameras as they have issues would be enough satisfaction for most folks.

For the record, my M9 (bought from Tamarkin as a Leica USA demo unit in January 2012) has had no issues of any kind so far.

Even Rolls-Royce, Porsche, and BMW automobiles break, even have some design flaws... And they don't warranty them forever. ;-)

G

Old 12-30-2014   #18
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Revising votes not possible with the admin software interface.

Stephen
Thanks, Stephen

jaapvphotography

Old 01-05-2015   #19
Luke_Miller

Today received a reply from Leica NJ regarding my M9 sent in for sensor cleaning and inspection. The sensor is being replaced under warranty. I should have it back this week (possibly tomorrow). I consider it fast turnaround since I shipped it December 11 and Leica was closed from the 24th to the 1st. The bad news is my Monochrom has the same (but many fewer) spots.

Old 01-08-2015   #20
Pioneer

My M9 is back, cleaned and looking snazzy. Leica NJ says it is just fine but there is a possibility that it could get dirty again.

Going on 5 years old, a few scratches, dings and a bit of brassing; but still working as designed.

Onwards and forwards to next year's annual cleaning.

Dan

Old 01-11-2015   #21
f16sunshine

Only 51 votes in 2 weeks time :?

Old 01-11-2015   #22
Pioneer

Maybe this is less of a concern for most M9 users than the forum uproar would have one believe.

Dan

Old 01-26-2015   #23
pyeh

I have two M9's. One (4 years old), which was my daily user, got The Corrossion. The other (3.5 years old), my backup, which by the way I never had to call upon for backup purposes, lived/lives in a dry cabinet, which is probably why it hasn't got the disease. Sydney, Australia is an often humid place. I never wet cleaned either camera.
I love them both, but the M (typ 240) is a more useful camera.

Old 01-28-2015   #24
MCTuomey

I've had my MM and M9 inspected and cleaned by Leica NJ this last month. Neither has the corrosion problem, per the repair order and invoice. The M9's sensor was replaced 2 years ago - it failed after about 2 years of use.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 03-09-2015   #25
seakayaker1

I called the Leica Repair Department which is located in New Jersey this past December and arranged to have my M9 sent in for repair. They requested it arrive by January 15th for them to inspect. I received a letter that was dated January 19th stating that they will replace the sensor under the 'Leica Good Will Warranty' program and the work should be completed by February 27th.

I called Leica Repair Department last week to inquiry about the repair on the M9. They stated that they did not have any sensors in the shop and that they were backordered and awaiting a shipment from Germany. They did not have an estimated date of arrival at this time. I did inquire as to where I stood on the list and they could not give an exact place except to say I should be near the top.

Please note they did not offer the upgrade at any time during the conversation. I had read about the upgrade program and cost at a couple of web sites.

After thinking about it over the weekend, I called Customer Service in New Jersey this morning and asked if I could join the upgrade program instead of waiting to have the M9 sensor replaced. The upgrade from the M9 to a MP 240 would cost $3750.00 (USD) after a credit of $4200.00 was given for the M9. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a new camera with the full 2 year warranty instead of waiting for a new sensor. I thought the credit given for the camera was fair since I had been using it for the past four years.

I choose this path since this was the second time I had sent my M9 in for sensor issues. The first time was in 2013 and is was gone for about 10 weeks. It has now been gone for the past two months with no date of return provided. My other concern was if I waited for the repaired M9 to return and if another issues arose with the sensor it would be out of my hands once again. I am sure Leica would honor any problems I just do not like having a camera in a repair shop instead of in my hands.

So the journey will continue with a silver MP 240.

Old 03-09-2015   #26
Doug

Dan, it sounds like a good choice. Though some believe the M9 has a distinct charm, I'm glad I sold mine to fund the M240. I hope yours arrives promptly and that you will enjoy it!

FWIW my (second-hand) M9 went in once for hot pixels, with much faster service than you relate. Maybe times have changed...

2/19/11 Sent to Leica USA in New Jersey for service.

3/1/11 Date of approved warranty repair estimate for $0.
Perform pixel/column restoration
Upgrade to current standard
Check and adjust for good working order
Back to me on 3/16/11

Old 03-10-2015   #27
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I just saw this poll and voted: No Issues.

Owned my Monochrome for a little more than two years. Only one wet cleaning was required.

Cal

Old 03-10-2015   #28
seakayaker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Dan, it sounds like a good choice. Though some believe the M9 has a distinct charm, I'm glad I sold mine to fund the M240. I hope yours arrives promptly and that you will enjoy it!

FWIW my (second-hand) M9 went in once for hot pixels, with much faster service than you relate. Maybe times have changed...
I did believe the M9 had a distinct charm, loved the camera and did have the intention to keep using it. If the sensor was replaced and camera returned I would have kept it until it gave out. With the delay, it caused me to re-think the idea of keeping the M9 or taking the upgrade offer as others have done.

With a few days to think it over I thought it best to take the trade-in and move on to a new chapter. I am looking forward to new camera.

I do not know if times have changed with the repair service. I certainly believe that the current M9 sensor issue has caused a lot of folks to send in their M9's to have them checked out and has created a queue in the service department. Keeping parts in stock for older models in the digital world must be a challenge for camera vendors, especially when one has a malfunction that impacts so many cameras. It must be a real challenge for Leica.

Old 03-13-2015   #29
kshapero
My view

No sensor issues here. Just consistent operator error. Someday an HCB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 03-13-2015   #30
dpetrzelka

I've got one with obvious issues. Hesitant to send in until I have confirmation that they have sensors in-stock. On my last call to NJ they are expecting sensors soon, but unsure if they'd have enough to repair my camera in this batch - ugh.

My RFF Gallery | My Web Page | My flickr
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
WTB: user M6 // Need to get back into film

Old 03-13-2015   #31
Katie

I was told mine (which has been there since 1/21) will not be ready this month. They have no eta on sensors coming in, but I was assured it won't be within 2 weeks.

Old 03-13-2015   #32
Katie

Sounds like the exact same thing I was told. Maybe I'll call about the upgrade option Monday. Do they offer the same trade in for newer M-E bodies as they do older M9? How much would a new M240 cost me in the trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
I called the Leica Repair Department which is located in New Jersey this past December and arranged to have my M9 sent in for repair. They requested it arrive by January 15th for them to inspect. I received a letter that was dated January 19th stating that they will replace the sensor under the 'Leica Good Will Warranty' program and the work should be completed by February 27th.

I called Leica Repair Department last week to inquiry about the repair on the M9. They stated that they did not have any sensors in the shop and that they were backordered and awaiting a shipment from Germany. They did not have an estimated date of arrival at this time. I did inquire as to where I stood on the list and they could not give an exact place except to say I should be near the top.

Please note they did not offer the upgrade at any time during the conversation. I had read about the upgrade program and cost at a couple of web sites.

After thinking about it over the weekend, I called Customer Service in New Jersey this morning and asked if I could join the upgrade program instead of waiting to have the M9 sensor replaced. The upgrade from the M9 to a MP 240 would cost $3750.00 (USD) after a credit of $4200.00 was given for the M9. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a new camera with the full 2 year warranty instead of waiting for a new sensor. I thought the credit given for the camera was fair since I had been using it for the past four years.

I choose this path since this was the second time I had sent my M9 in for sensor issues. The first time was in 2013 and is was gone for about 10 weeks. It has now been gone for the past two months with no date of return provided. My other concern was if I waited for the repaired M9 to return and if another issues arose with the sensor it would be out of my hands once again. I am sure Leica would honor any problems I just do not like having a camera in a repair shop instead of in my hands.

So the journey will continue with a silver MP 240.

Old 03-13-2015   #33
Katie

And another thing the rep mentioned was she noticed I lived in Texas and told me that humidity was likely the cause of the corrosion issue. So does that mean every Summer when humidity is high here that this is likely to happen again?

Old 03-13-2015   #34
seakayaker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Sounds like the exact same thing I was told. Maybe I'll call about the upgrade option Monday. Do they offer the same trade in for newer M-E bodies as they do older M9? How much would a new M240 cost me in the trade?
There were different prices depending on model trade in and model requested:

Trade Leica M9 or M-E for Leica M (Typ 240): $3,500
Trade Leica M9 or M-E for Leica M-P (Typ 240): $3,750
Trade Leica M9-P for Leica M (Typ 240): $3,150
Trade Leica M9-P for Leica M-P (Typ 240): $3,450

BTW, there is humidity in lot of places in the US and around the world. Not sure what that has to do with the problem. I live in an area of the country where the humidity is not as bad as other places and my M9 had a bad sensor.

I received the MP yesterday and got to take a few images today and will continue to familiarize myself with the camera over the weekend. Love the sound of shutter which is quiet and the response of the camera is quicker than the M9.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 03-19-2015   #35
Benjamin Marks

I had an issue in 2013. . . many tiny marks that appeared like dust, but that could not be cleaned off the sensor. I sent the camera into Leica and they replaced the sensor at no charge. This was months before the sensor problem was officially acknowledged. I do not really know what that sensor degradation looked like in practice. I am going on the assumption that this was the problem that Leica ultimately acknowledged, but don't know for sure.

Old 6 Days Ago   #36
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Saw this come up again through 'recent posts'. I voted some time ago but hadn't explained. I have two M9 bodies, both purchased new, one very early and one about a year and a half later. They both got new sensors in early 2016. I have a used Monochrom that I purchased in May of 2016 fresh from Leica with a new sensor.