Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

View Poll Results: How do you scan your 35mm B&W film?
I use a flatbed scanner - i.e. Epson V750 photo scanner 273 35.36%
I use a dedicated 35mm scanner - i.e. a Nikon Coolscan V 322 41.71%
I use a dedicated multi-format film scanner - i.e. a Nikon Coolscan 9000 77 9.97%
I use a professional scanner - i.e. drum scanner 25 3.24%
I send mine away to be scanned 48 6.22%
I don't care - I wet print! 27 3.50%
Voters: 772. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014   #41
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I use an Epson V700 with Epsonscan software and its original film holders. No bells and whistles i.e. no ANR glass; no better scanning holders etc. Works well for me considering its price, versatility and output.

Old 01-12-2014   #42
jonmanjiro

Coolscan 5000 with SA-30 so I can scan an entire roll in one go.

Summarit 50/1.5 and Neopan 400

Elmarit 28/2.8 Asph and Neopan 400

Old 01-12-2014   #43
Steve M.

I wet print, but an old $40 Epson 2450 is what I use. Just for proofing and web posting. I have trouble seeing what is really on a tiny 35mm neg w/ a loupe, and the scanner magnifies all the faults. I have actually used it for inkjet prints back in the day, but it's a lot better with at least 6x4.5. For 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5 it rocks.

Old 01-12-2014   #44
kiemchacsu

I am using a Nikon Coolscan IV ED.
First I scan whole roll to JPG 2000dpi using provided Nikon Scan software. Then If I find interesting shots, I may rescan them to TIFF 16bit max resolution 2700DPI then post process later. For TIFF, I follow a tip (read here in RFF) that scan to positive with NO manipulation and then convert it in Photoshop.
I'm happy with the output, you can check it out on my flickr stream

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-13-2014   #45
k__43
Registered Film User

coming from a D40 with M42 Macro-Tubes, I used a Canon 8800f, later a Epson V500, a Plustek 8200 and now I got a Canon FS4000 but only scanned C41 negs so far (w/ great results) .. I'm on the edge of buying a Nikon CS8000. Bank account says no but GAS says yes

[Edit:] GAS won, the bank account is sad. Can't wait to get this thing

Old 01-13-2014   #46
alexnotalex

Scan Dual III for me, scanning at medium resolution with Vuescan, mostly on default settings. 6 frames at a time, could be faster but it's a huge improvement on one at a time.

So much is done in Aperture/Lightroom after I tend to keep the settings simple. Every time I try to "improve" my scanning workflow it just gets worse.

Old 01-13-2014   #47
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq

I use a 9000 and used to scan on a V ED (which I still have). I like the 9000 for its versatility and speed. The light source is definitely softer than that in the V which I like, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
I used to use a dedicated 35mm Film/Dia-Scanner (Reflecta Crystal Scan 7200). But since a short time I use a different approach: I bought a Leica BEOON from the 1950ies and use the Leica M240 with a 50mm Summilux ASPH at f11 to create 1:1 macro shots. The lens and negative holder are comletely shielded against reflective or stray light with some really sophisticated small black card board constructs... As light source I use a iPad with bright white sceen and a diffusor glass plate over it, where the BEOON stands on.
Intriguing. Could you post an example? I'm surprised thus setup works well for 6x6.

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.

Old 01-13-2014   #48
vbsoto

I'm using a Epson 3170 w Vuescan. I'm relatively pleased with the results, having printed some to 11x14 thru Costco and Samsclub. I've been scanning my back catalog going on a year now. Get about 3 rolls on a good day as I go about my work at the office.

Old 01-13-2014   #49
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

I was using my dear old Polaroid SprintScan 4000 until it bit the dust

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 01-13-2014   #50
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I should answer choices 2, 3 and 5. But I can't.

G

Old 01-14-2014   #52
Godfrey
somewhat colored

To flesh out my brief earlier response:

- My most recent 'scanning' setup for 35mm slide film is the Olympus E-M1 fitted with MMF-3 mount adapter and the Olympus ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro lens, itself fitted with a Nikon ES-1 slide copying holder. Fit a slide in, point it at a nice even light source (flat panel light box for me), focus, set f/8, and shoot. It nets an 11 Mpixel image of the full 35mm frame once cropped to the image area. Resolution, dynamic range, and color are extremely good, and you have the raw files for detail tonal curve tweaking.

- For 6x6 and 35mm B&W negative strips, I use either a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 or Coolscan V (35mm only). The Super Coolscan 9000 has a more diffuse light source and can load 12 exposures at a time (strips of six), the net result is it's a bit gentler on slightly damaged or dirty negs, and can scan more frames*unattended in batch mode (VueScan). The Coolscan V is a bit faster but has a harder light source, it can handle up to six exposures in a load. It's a bit easier to work with for 'non-standard 35mm formats' (like half frame, Robot square, etc) than the 9000.

I scan using VueScan with a raw workflow, that is, scan max resolution setting only the bias to capture the entire dynamic range, output to VueScan raw encapsulated DNG files. I annotate the DNG files with metadata using EXIFtool, then import them into Lightroom. Customized camera calibration files are applied which do the B&W reversal and tonal curve assignment. From there I export/import into 16bit TIFF files for finish rendering.

- For various other B&W negatives, I use a copy camera setup and the aforementioned lightbox...

G

Old 01-14-2014   #53
jwcat

I am using an X-E1 with Nikkor Micro 55mm 2.8 and extension tube. Just started but looks good. I am investigating the Colorperfect program for color negs. Free trial and will do it when my computer gets back up. Slides and B&W look good without it.

http://www.c-f-systems.com/Plug-ins.html#colorperfect

John

Old 01-15-2014   #54
vbsoto

@ Godfrey, I'm using Vuescan in the same way producing raw .tiff. I presumed it was all auto. What do you mean by setting the bias? If you could provide a little detail on that process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Victor

Old 01-15-2014   #55
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbsoto View Post
@ Godfrey, I'm using Vuescan in the same way producing raw .tiff. I presumed it was all auto. What do you mean by setting the bias? If you could provide a little detail on that process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Victor
It's mostly auto. If you look at the raw histogram, you can see that sometimes the data falls inside the limit points. Adjusting the capture black point and white point seems to result in shifting the histogram once in LR as well.

I can't say that it does for sure as I haven't done specific testing, I just adjust black and white points to bring the bias in line. This is descendent of my previous workflow when I output TIFF files ... I might be fooling myself into thinking there is something going on when there isn't! ;-)

G

Old 01-15-2014   #56
Michael Markey

Happy with my Epson V500 using Epson software.
Prior to that I was using Ilford for my development and scans.

Should the V500 break I would probably revert to using Ilford again or get a V750.

Old 01-15-2014   #57
vbsoto

Thanks Godfrey.

Victor

Old 01-15-2014   #58
wakarimasen

I'm really surprised about the proportion of people using a flatbed. For some reason, I thought most people scanning 35mm film would be using a dedicated scanner.

Old 01-15-2014   #59
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakarimasen View Post
I'm really surprised about the proportion of people using a flatbed. For some reason, I thought most people scanning 35mm film would be using a dedicated scanner.
Dedicated film scanners have gotten a bit thin on the ground, and flatbed scanners have improved enough to make them usable, if not ideal.

G

Old 01-15-2014   #60
Bruno Gracia

I'm with Godfrey, and very happy with the V750.

Old 01-15-2014   #61
dof
Fiat Lux

I take a combination approach:

Every roll gets scanned by a local lab at a resolution that allows for decent 4x6 prints. Those scans, when imported into Lightroom effectively become contact prints, only much larger of course. I typically print the ones I like best and get a feel for how they look on paper at that size.

Over time I edit, keeping notes on which negatives I want at higher resolution, or a difference in the scan exposure. After gathering up a number of keepers, I rent time on an Imacon scanner at a local rental lab. There I typically scan at the highest res available.

Overall it's been a good approach - it provides flexibility and ease of working with my negatives while minimizing the time spent to initially see all of them. The time commitment and deep expense go mainly into just the best of the best.

Old 01-15-2014   #62
DNG
Film Friendly

I use a V700 in 16bit Gray Mode for B&W
48 bit for Color slides or negatives
35mm at 3200dpi-3800dpi
larger between 2200-2800dpi

I use Epson Scan also..
I do most of editing in Lr 5.x and PS14, just a little tweaking in Epson Scan..
Epson Scan with the supplied carriers allow for automatic framing of each neg/slide, and with 12 negs/slides per scan... that saves a ton of time!!!
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Last edited by DNG : 03-27-2015 at 10:02. Reason: Update Info

Old 01-18-2014   #63
cabbiinc
Slightly Irregular

For a fast scan I use my Nikon LS-2000. For a larger more detailed scan I use my Canon FS4000US for the higher native dpi. For larger than 135 film I use my flatbed. Yes I'm very happy with the results.

Old 01-18-2014   #64
heller

I scan on Hasselblad Flextight X5.
www.scanningfilm.com

Old 01-19-2014   #65
jhalmu

For 120mm I use Epson V600 and Betterscanning anti-newton holder. For 35mm I use Plustek 8100. Software is Vuescan + PS + LR. For colorfilm, which I not do very much yet, I have Color Perfect waiting.

Old 01-19-2014   #66
Stuart John

Here are a few from my "D800 Scanner" Film APX100 stand develop for way too long unfortunately.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 01-19-2014   #67
AndersG

For 35mm film I use my old (for digital gear) Canon 30D with a EF 50mm f/1.8 II and an extension tube. The magnification doesn't match completely so after cropping I have about 5Mpixels left. That is more than enough for my "contact sheet" register and web use. I use VueScan for processing 30D RAW images of negative film.

Should I want one of my film images on paper I'd be inclined to try wet printing again - but currently I have that gear packed away.

Old 01-25-2014   #68
Brian Atherton

I voted send my away, but also I use a flatbed scanner (Epson V500).

Not having dedicated processing facilities at home, for my new work I send my films (B&W) to be developed and high resolution scanned. For my archived own developed films I use the V500 using Epson software, which, while not ideal - they come nowhere near the quality of the profession scans - suits my needs.

Here in the UK I use AgPhotoLabs for processing. I have no connection with the company, except as a customer.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 01-25-2014   #69
Tokoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atherton View Post
I voted send my away, but also I use a flatbed scanner (Epson V500).

Not having dedicated processing facilities at home, for my new work I send my films (B&W) to be developed and high resolution scanned. For my archived own developed films I use the V500 using Epson software, which, while not ideal - they come nowhere near the quality of the profession scans - suits my needs.

Here in the UK I use AgPhotoLabs for processing. I have no connection with the company, except as a customer.
I found the Epson sofware sufficient with v500. And I can’t really see the need for multi sampling with this scanner (a possible option with Vuescan) and with other a flat bed scanners, because of the additional image blurring that is given. When a negative is read with multiple scans the starting point for each scanning is slightly different. With a dedicated scanner this difference should become greatly reduced.

Old 01-25-2014   #70
Ron (Netherlands)

Nikon Coolscan 8000, for 35mm and medium format.
Below a scan from a 35mm neg:

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, Rolleicord V, Rolleiflex 3.5F, Rolleiflex 2.8A

My Flickr

Old 01-25-2014   #71
whited3

I digitize my 135 negs with my dslr as a handful have mentioned. I definitely like the results. Details being: Window light; Tripod; Canon slide duplicator for FL Bellows; Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro @ f8; whichever extension tubes to get the correct magnification; 1ds mk2 @ 100 or 200 ISO. Shooting in manual, I set up my exposure & focus one time, hand hold the duplicator to my lens (yep, that's right), and blast through a 36 roll at a leisurely 15 or 20 minutes (includes fully enjoying my negs for the 1st time too).

I find it's typically quite easy to contain & center the entire histogram of a B&W negative in camera using window light. C41 is more tricky due to the orange film base typically resulting in blown reds and/or underexposed blues (net effect is harsh correction in post). I solve this by lighting off of a royal blue backdrop (again from window light) typically resulting again in fully contained & centered histograms. I thought about rigging up some dedicated setup with a speedlight, but I find the above so easy to set up and tear down I just don't care to change.

Having captured the above in raw, I am quite comfortable inverting and post processing. Minimal cropping (pixel loss) is needed, shadows and highs are nice and malleable, film grain is nicely resolved. Color correction was troublesome at first, but after having adopted the blue backdrop trick, it's a snap.

No idea if this is the best way... I am just really comfortable and familiar with the whole workflow so it's great for me. That and I only needed the macro lens, tubes, and slide duplicator - less than $100

Old 01-26-2014   #72
Brian Atherton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokoza View Post
I found the Epson sofware sufficient with v500. And I can’t really see the need for multi sampling with this scanner (a possible option with Vuescan) and with other a flat bed scanners, because of the additional image blurring that is given. When a negative is read with multiple scans the starting point for each scanning is slightly different. With a dedicated scanner this difference should become greatly reduced.
To be clear Tokoza, I don't multi-sample.

My biggest issue with the V500 is getting negatives flat using the supplied flimsy plastic carriers. I suspect I should invest in glass carriers, which at some point I may do.

Also, I might try a SLR/macro lens set up, which brings me to the other bane of my life: speed. With V500 I find scanning time-consusming and boring, which is now why I send my films away.

While on the subject of scanning, I have to say the posted drum scans on the drum scan thread, especially large format, are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-06-2014   #73
fuji645

I use a Microtek i900 and SilverFast for 35mm and 120 but I checked the Nikon Coolscan since my equipment wasn't listed.

Old 02-26-2014   #75
quicksilvermike
quicksilver

I used Epson V600! Very reliable!!!

Old 03-04-2014   #76
van_d

^ Ditto. Except mine seems to act funny with slide film. But I don't shoot slide film anymore, so it makes little difference for me.

My Blog
Flickr

Old 03-06-2014   #77
lukitas
second hand noob

the poll is incomplete.

I use a D3100 clamped to the stand of an enlarger.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 03-18-2014   #78
maxwell1295

Pakon F135 + dedicate XP laptop...this is easily the best purchase I've made for 35mm film, including any of the cameras I've bought.

My Website

Old 03-18-2014   #79
srmulcahy
Sean Mulcahy

I use a Plustek Opticfilm 8100 with Vuescan. At the start of each roll I scan an area between the negatives and lock the film exposure. For Arista Premium 400 in XTol this has been consistently an exposure value of ~1.49. From there the scanned negatives look great and I usually just adjust the curves and contrast in Gimp.

Old 03-20-2014   #80
Jonik

I voted wet prints, but come tomorrow I'll be scanning as well! new Proscan 7200 on the way!!! :-)