Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Scanners / Scanner Software

blue channel fail
Old 08-19-2014   #41
andrea gazzoni

blue channel fail

Ciao Fernando, Jacek! Hi to anyone else.
As discussed with some of you I am looking for an helping hand with my Scanmate 11000. The blue channel is failing. Anything else is working ok. All I get is yellow scans.

Already done:
-any basic maintenance schedule, such as lamps, etc...
-cleaned ALL the machine: every contact has been cleaned by removing the various board and applying crc, I even removed the back panel
-inverted the optical fiber cables
-checked inside the optical module, cleaned it
-run aperture calibration routine on service program (thanks Jack), this has somehow unlocked the calibration and for some time the scanner worked fine, but then the problem is back. It seems like a bad contact somewhere..nothing that I can see under a magnifier anyway
-finally sent the PMT board to ABC Scan, they resoldered/checked here and there and sent back the part to me saying it was working fine, the PMT show good values (it was not possible for them to test it into a scanner) and pointing my attention to the spot where the Brandenburg 4479 power modules are connected to the board. Put the board back into the scanner...any change.

Now I am still here with the same issue.
I'd appreciate any suggestion on where to look before having to send the scanner to Denmark. I am almost sure this is a loose contact, just don't know exactly where to look anymore.

thank you
Andrea

Old 08-20-2014   #42
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

From your description it looks like aperture mechanism doesn't work - have you opened and cleaned alu plate with apertures, greased aperture motor etc?

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 08-20-2014   #43
andrea gazzoni

yes Jack, I've opened the aperture assembly, cleaned the plate, but how could an aperture misfunction affect just one channel..? the light is divided in the three beams after passing through the aperture, not before

Old 08-20-2014   #44
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I had yellow or blue posterized scans too before proper calibration. For me it looks like scanner can't hit the hole :-)

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 08-21-2014   #45
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

This is actual performance of my SM11000. Looks like can be improved because it's worse than superb Minolta 5400

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 08-21-2014   #46
Fernando2

GOSH!!!!
That's BAD!
Worse than my SM11000 before replacing the motor.

Old 08-21-2014   #47
Kate-the-Great

I finally got a chance to try out my ScanMate (original 2000dpi model) and I can't seem to get it to do anything. My computer (Tyan Xeon board with Windows 2003 R2 and PCI Adaptec AHA-2930) recognizes the scanner, but can't find any drivers in the ColorTrio package from earlier in the thread. ColorTrio starts to load but throws an error "4511-87 cannot download firmware to the scanner because of an error in SCSI communication". Dang!

Old 08-22-2014   #48
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I remember CT not always sees the scanner while CQ can. No drivers needed. Best comunication I had is with Adaptec PCMCIA->SCSI on laptop, Windows platform.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 08-22-2014   #49
Fernando2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate-the-Great View Post
ColorTrio starts to load but throws an error "4511-87 cannot download firmware to the scanner because of an error in SCSI communication".
Which version of ColorTrio for Windows are you using?
And, is Windows2003 the 32-bit version? CT can't run properly with the 64-bit version.

Fernando

Old 08-22-2014   #50
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

There is more than DC motor wearing - I suspect encoder concentricity. Encoder shaft is 8mm dia while DC motor is 4mm dia. There wasn't sliding fit in an original design

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 08-22-2014   #51
Kate-the-Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando2 View Post
Which version of ColorTrio for Windows are you using?
And, is Windows2003 the 32-bit version? CT can't run properly with the 64-bit version.
I'm using the version linked to earlier in the thread by jzagaja- v.2 I believe? I do have 32-bit Windows on this computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja
I remember CT not always sees the scanner while CQ can. No drivers needed. Best comunication I had is with Adaptec PCMCIA->SCSI on laptop, Windows platform.
So I'm not missing drivers at least... but shame if CT won't work; no sense in shelling out for CQ to use a 2000dpi 100$ scanner

Old 08-24-2014   #52
Fernando2

Unfortunate.

I assume you have the SCSI chain correctly terminated and that you follow the usual golden rules of SCSI devices:

- First turn on the scanner
- Wait a few seconds
- Now turn on the PC

Old 08-26-2014   #53
Kate-the-Great

Yeah. Wait for scanner, then power on PC. SCSI ID set to 5, active terminator used. Same cabling & SCSI card that communicated with this scanner in a different computer when I first bought the scanner- when I get a chance I'll dig out the old computer (which had Windows 2000 on it) and try again.

EDIT- The non-working Windows 2003R2 system does see the scanner in the Device Manager so I think maybe ColorTrio doesn't like such a new OS? I will try with 2K and, if I have to, NT4 & 98

Do any of y'all know anything about using the serial port to communicate with these things? I saw that someone in the gallery thread did some voodoo with the console to solve a communication problem.

Thanks for the knowledge share!

Old 08-26-2014   #54
MarinB

Kate, I would strongly suggest buying a used G4 Mac - either "Gigabit Ethernet" or "Digital Audio" model - and dedicating it to the scanner alone. Also, try to find an unused/NOS/BNIB Adaptec 29160N card, a brand new SCSI cable (the shorter the better!) and a SCSI terminator with a LED indicator, if you already don't have one.

Old 08-26-2014   #55
Fernando2

Kate,

I had ColorTrio v2.00 working with Windows XP 32 bit and Adaptec 2904 SCSI adapter (latest drivers for XP).
Passive terminator, shortish cable, ID 5.

No black magic needed, so maybe the culprit is 2003R2.

As for the console, jzagaja posted instructions on building a special serial cable based upon an Ethernet cable.
It allows to communicate (using a terminal emulator like TeraTerm or PuTTY) with special diagnosting routines on the scanner's firmware, mostly for PMT calibration etc.

His posts on the matter are bit sparse, you can find something here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...134187&page=11

Fernando

Old 08-26-2014   #56
Kate-the-Great

Success with Windows 2000! Looks like I'll need to replace the halogen bulbs though- the scans come out way underexposed, just noise with a barely-recognizable image.

Old 08-27-2014   #57
Fernando2

Great to know!
Shouldn't be too difficult to replace the bulbs: they're not common, but not too hard to find.

Even with new bulbs, note that it's very important to calibrate white (and start scanning) after at least 10 minutes of warming up.

Mounting fluid and sheets may affect neutrality, so my advice is to calibrate white on a zone (about 1"x1" is OK) covered by fluid&sheet.

Fernando

Old 09-17-2014   #58
meloV8

Hello All!
I bought ScanMate Plus and I have a problem with scanner. I use Windows XP and Windows 2000, Acard SCSI card, active terminator and number 2 on ( scsi channel ) but system don't see this machine. I first star scanner, then led On lights up and drum make one turn. Then i start my PC. When system is booting scanner lights up Ready led and make some drum movements. Color trio and Colorquartet do not see the connection with the scanner.
What SCSI card is best for this scanner?

Old 09-18-2014   #59
Fernando2

Adaptec 2904. It worked at first shot for me (Windows XP Professional 32 bit).

Old 09-26-2014   #60
meloV8

Unfortunately no luck with Adaptec AHA-2940U
There are some reactions scanner for connection to a computer but neither the system and ColorTrio not see the scanner. I think it's broken.

Maybe i will try with old Macintosh...

Old 09-26-2014   #61
Fernando2

Actually I also use a PowerMac G4 (Mac OS X 10.2.8) with the scanner (more frequently than the Windows machine)
It has an Adaptec 2906 on board. Zero issues with CT and CQ.

Old 09-26-2014   #62
meloV8

I'm looking for a Color Trio for mac. Someone could retrieve?

Old 10-06-2014   #63
Fernando2

Hello,

someone wrote me asking where to buy (in EU) a replacement PMT for a ScanMate 5000.

Jack, I seem to remember you found a source?

Thanks anyone!

Fernando

Old 10-08-2014   #64
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I only know someone from Czech Republic who had SM5000 for sale around 700 eur. Can provide his email - send me PM.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 10-14-2014   #65
Kamph

Jack, is that SM5000 in working condition?
I recently got into 4x5 and that's more than my P120 can handle, and so I was considering a cheap drum scanner. I'm a student so my budget is somewhat limited, and while the scans you guys get from the SM1100 looks phenomenal (of course your skill as operators plays a big part too!) it's outside my budget which led me to look after a SM5000 instead. Do you have any experience with the 5000? Is it comparable to the SM11000 apart from the resolution?
I hope I'm not too OT.
Cheers!

Old 10-15-2014   #66
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamph View Post
Jack, is that SM5000 in working condition
Hi! Jack got me in touch with the seller of SM5000 and the seller told me that SM5000 is sold.

Old 10-15-2014   #67
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I wll be having sm5000 so possibly expect some pics vs. 11000.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 10-15-2014   #68
Fernando2

Excellent, Jack!
I'm very curious. The SM5000 sounds very interesting, and should be easier to find.

Old 10-18-2014   #69
Kamph

I'll be looking forward to your comparison, Jack! I guess 5000 dpi should be sufficient for my large format needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Hi! Jack got me in touch with the seller of SM5000 and the seller told me that SM5000 is sold.
Well, it was a good price!

Old 11-08-2014   #70
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando2 View Post
Excellent, Jack!
I'm very curious. The SM5000 sounds very interesting, and should be easier to find.
SM5000 does not have pattern in shadows (my sample) known from 11000, register error is typical for Scanmates (bearing?) and slight red cast in shadows (correctable in post).

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 11-14-2014   #71
sdzsdz

Can someone email or send me on an other way the monitor program for the scanmate? I have to realign light source to scanning head and I want to calibrate the apertures. I would also need the maintenance manual.

Waht else do I need to communicate to the scanner for maintenance? Some special cables? I read somwhere, that I need to make me a cable but canīt find instructions.

Thank you all and best regards,

Sebastian

Old 11-14-2014   #72
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

No one has because it is in the scanner firmware. Just make cable and connect with hyperterminal or putty:

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...&postcount=404

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 11-14-2014   #73
sdzsdz

Thank you Jack! But HAHA, donīt beleive what I found in my cellar. A matching cable.

But I need the manual please!

Best regards, Sebastian

Old 11-14-2014   #74
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

Take rj45 and count from orange side. RS232 is numbered so it's easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.9 KB, 37 views)

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 11-14-2014   #75
sdzsdz

No, I mean the maintenance manual of the scanner.

And could you tell me, how to connect with an terminal under Mac 0S 9.2?

I found ZTerm but thats extremely complicated. Donīt have a clue what to do now.

Any help?

Old 11-14-2014   #76
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

I have no idea - I use my Mac Mini only as remote control of an old laptop that drives the scanner under XP.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 11-14-2014   #77
sdzsdz

Could you describe me the exact workflow that you use?

Old 11-14-2014   #78
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

Scanmate -> Adaptec 1480 -> Centrino laptop with COM port PCMCIA and wifi -> Mac Mini 2010 with VMware Fusion -> Photoshop with my NegInverter plugin

Very comfortable but wifi on laptop is slow - have to find solution for quicker file transfer. USB wifi card doesn't work (broken connections). Maybe better take fanless mainboard with pci riser and pcmcia-pci host (Ricoh) or pci-e SCSI card from Adaptec (low profile) - tested and works.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Scanmate 11000 monitor program and maintenance
Old 11-16-2014   #79
sdzsdz

Scanmate 11000 monitor program and maintenance

Hello Guys!

Thank you for all your help. Jack send me the manual and after a lot of trying with different computers I found out how to make a connection to the scanner, so I want to write a short explanation for everyone:

I did not get it to work under Windows 7 and also not under Mac OS 9.2, donīt know why.

I finally did it under Mac OSX 10.6.8 with an ordinary Mac Book. Others report that it is also very easy to do under Windows XP but I have no XP here.

First of all, one has to make a cable. I found one with RJ45 on the one end, and RS232 on the other laying arround in my cellar, but after all it had not the right PIN connections.

Everything we need to make a cable is an ordinary Cad5e network cable and a separate RS232 connector. We can buy these things in an ordinary store for electric parts.
After that, the network cable has to be cut on one end. The leads have to be identified and then have to be soft soldered to the RS232 connector following this pattern Jack wrote in an other post:

RJ45 ------------ RS232
2 (orange)------- 3
3 (white-green)-- 2
4 (blue)--------- 5

What we also need is an USB to Serial adaptor and the drivers.

Now we can start:

- Connect the USB to Serial adaptor to the computer/Mac
- Install the drivers
- Restart the Mac
- Connect the selfmade cable to the scanner and the adaptor. The scanner has to be turned OFF!
- Load from the internet this little program (goSerial):

http://www.furrysoft.de/?page=goserial

- Start goSerial, tick the marked button and select the displayed values. You also have to select the USB to Serial connector you use under "Serial port". If this does not show up, there is most probably a problem with the driver:

- Select "Ok"
- Tick the button in the left upper corner right next to the button we used before. Now a red cross is shown over this button.
- Now turn on the scanner with the thumbwheel for the SCSI selector on position "8".

- There we are, now we can speek to the scanners firmware.
- To understand what to do we need the manual. Email me, if you need it.

I found an other instruction for Windows XP in the Yahoo scanner group:

Quote:
Hi Bob,
I just set up another computer to run the monitor program; here is a
step-by-step procedure (XP only, I can't help with your MAC). Start with the
cable connected, dip switch on the scanner set to 8, and the scanner off. In
XP, go to start, all programs, accessories, communications, Hyper Terminal,
click OK. A new window will open; name the connection and click OK. In the
next window select the COM port that you have the cable attached to, click
OK. Another window will open, select 9600bps, 8 Data Bits, Parity none, stop
bits 1, and flow control none, click OK. At this point, the Hyper Terminal
should show connected with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, NOW
switch on the scanner and the program should start. If the program does not
start, set up a new connection using a different COM port, if it still doesn
't work go to the refrigerator, get a cold beer then go outside and enjoy
the nice CA weather!
Gale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-16 um 10.19.04.jpg (33.9 KB, 436 views)

Big Problem, fibre optic cable
Old 11-20-2014   #80
sdzsdz

Big Problem, fibre optic cable

Hello everybody!

I have now a really big problem! I wanted to purchase new fibre optic cables from Sensor head to PMT and from transmission bulb to light tube. ABC-Scan told me they have enough to sell me some. When I removed the long one for transmission, I destroyed it, unfortunately. And now ABC tells me, they canīt find any more cables.

Now my scanner is useless! This is a BIG PROBLEM for me. Has anybody an Idea where I can find a new cable or a company that will make me one for a price that does not get into thousands of euros?

Any help and suggestion is very much appreciated