Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

deals on film - post here!
Old 11-01-2005   #1
jan normandale
Film is the other way

deals on film - post here!

Hi I'm looking to get the RFF membership sources of on line suppliers that provide aggressive pricing on film. A URL would be nice in the reply if it is readily available otherwise the name and city would let me Google a link, if the retailer is online

thanks, Jan

it's all about light

Last edited by jan normandale : 11-01-2005 at 11:31. Reason: spelling

Old 11-01-2005   #2
FrankS

Good idea, Jan!

photography makes me happy

Old 11-01-2005   #3
back alley
IMAGES

a canadian source would be good too.

joe

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 11-01-2005   #4
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Also http://www.jandcphoto.com has some very inexpensive films.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 11-01-2005   #5
lynn
lynn

120 film is extremely expensive in the Netherlands; I buy all mine (non-expired, that is) from an *bay person called knotrc. His prices, even including shipping (from Hong Kong) and insurance, are less - sometimes HALF of - what I am charged here. They may not compete with North-American prices though...

Two-Muses

My Little RFF Gallery

My Flickr

Old 11-01-2005   #6
jan normandale
Film is the other way

thanks RFFer's , keep 'em comin'

it's all about light

Old 11-01-2005   #7
Kin Lau

JandC's 120 is about as cheap as it's going to get.

Cheapest price for Agfa APX100 in Canada was photo-co.com, $29cdn/100' ... the shipping costs and lack of provincial taxes washes out.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 11-01-2005   #8
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

lynn - how much is that extremely expensive? I've found scolor.nl (amsterdam) to have good prices and service; for fuji colour films, kamera-express.nl is a bit cheaper. geengeld.nl is also okay. Example: fp4+ 125 in 120 costs 2.30 to 2.60 e per roll, in these shops. Delta3200 is about 3e / 120- roll. Propack of five for tri-x 400 120 is 16 euro. XP2 Super is about 2.90 per roll. Fuji nph, npc, npz if i remember correctly is around 20-22 per 5-pack.
If i go out to a shop and buy there, it can even be double.

Old 11-01-2005   #9
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Jan

If you are looking for Kodak Max 400 and have a Liquidation World outlet near you they had it on at $5.97 for a three pack of 24 exp and single 24 exp. rolls at $1.99. That was at a Refrew last week. The stuff I got expires 10/2007.

Bob

Old 11-01-2005   #10
lynn
lynn

Yes...Scolor is excellent, I've bought 35mm film there, never inquired about 120 though. I shoot mostly colour (tsk) and, for instance, was quoted a price of almost 13 euros a roll for Velvia, NOT including developing. To be honest: I email this *Bay seller directly when I need a certain film, and am never dissatisfied with his quote.
I'll drop in to Scolor tomorrow when I'm in Amsterdam, though, just to be sure!

Two-Muses

My Little RFF Gallery

My Flickr

Old 11-01-2005   #11
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

last time i checked (a week ago?two?) geengeld.nl had a five-for-fifteen action on velvia 100(F?)/120 film.

Old 11-01-2005   #12
lynn
lynn

thanks for the tip! :-) not the (F) but a super price anyhow...

Two-Muses

My Little RFF Gallery

My Flickr

Old 11-01-2005   #13
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

lynn, if you see any attractive offer in scolor tomorrow, like short-dated or recently outdated stuff for cheap, esp. in 120, would you drop me a PM please?

Old 11-01-2005   #14
taffer
void

The other day talked to the owner of the photo store near my house, and indeed they make clearance sales of outdated slide film. She told me to come on wednesday and ask, cross your fingers for me !

As for online places, some days ago we were talking about Megaperls http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/ and also was told about this one http://www.nordfoto.de/ never got anything from any of them but prices are indeed attractive.

Oscar

Old 11-01-2005   #15
jan normandale
Film is the other way

This is becoming an interesting thread. I knew about J and C , however I thought I would ask because you never know what you might turn up just by asking. It has proven to be a worthwhile exercise so far.

Maybe we should even ask to see if this can be made into a sticky. Changed to "post deals on film" here for all members. Obviously right after you have filled a couple of fridges ..... like some members confessed to in an earlier thread. LOL!

it's all about light

Old 11-01-2005   #16
peter_n
~

I'm a Fuji guy and I really like the service provided by Megaperls, I recently got three 100ft bulk rolls of Neopan 1600 from them. Here are their current prices for my favorite films in bulk:

Acros 100 100ft bulk roll: US$37.38
Neopan 400 100ft bulk roll: US$30.15
Neopan 1600 100ft bulk roll: US$31.08

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-01-2005   #17
bmattock

I don't mean to sound negative, but I've been posting regular "great deal on film" posts for some time now, and what I usually get is:

a) That film sucks.
b) I won't buy from that outlet, they suck.
c) Ignored.

In fact, my recent post about good prices in Walgreens on Agfa film was going to be the last time I posted anything. Nobody cares, then OK, fine. But I finally got a few decent responses, so I guess I'll keep looking.

I never understood the psychology that makes people trash something when someone else is just trying to pass on a deal they found.

Sorry, just bitching. Read my threads on film deals and you'll see it.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-01-2005   #18
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
I don't mean to sound negative, but I've been posting regular "great deal on film" posts for some time now, and what I usually get is:

a) That film sucks.
b) I won't buy from that outlet, they suck.
c) Ignored.

In fact, my recent post about good prices in Walgreens on Agfa film was going to be the last time I posted anything. Nobody cares, then OK, fine. But I finally got a few decent responses, so I guess I'll keep looking.

I never understood the psychology that makes people trash something when someone else is just trying to pass on a deal they found.

Sorry, just bitching. Read my threads on film deals and you'll see it.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Bill .... you know I love you babe!

I pay attention. I know you are on the job! My problem is I live where there is no Walgreens. Still I think your putting the news out is just fine with me. I love a deal.

What I noted earlier in this thread is the idea of leaving a 'sticky' for 'deals on film' so you or anyone can post and it is readily found. Sifting through everyone's threads just takes longer. Send me pm's if you find deals, I'll read 'em. BTW I haven't seen any new shots from yer RF lately. Muse leave?

Jan

it's all about light

Old 11-01-2005   #19
back alley
IMAGES

your wish is my command!

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 11-01-2005   #20
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale
Bill .... you know I love you babe!

I pay attention. I know you are on the job! My problem is I live where there is no Walgreens. Still I think your putting the news out is just fine with me. I love a deal.

What I noted earlier in this thread is the idea of leaving a 'sticky' for 'deals on film' so you or anyone can post and it is readily found. Sifting through everyone's threads just takes longer. Send me pm's if you find deals, I'll read 'em. BTW I haven't seen any new shots from yer RF lately. Muse leave?

Jan
Jan, thank you...sniff. I have been eating up all the leftover Halloween chocolate in the house and drinking beer. Funny together, not so good as I might have expected. Strange, beer goes with donuts pretty well. Flapjacks too.

Anyway, I'm at a touch past 'feeling no pain' and heading towards 'bulletproof'. So, sorry about that. Blood sugar is getting some exercise tonight. UP and down, UP and down. Last stage of drunk for me is 'non-linear' which I will not attempt this evening.

RF? I have 600+ shots from Gettysburg I'm still trying to wade through. Maybe 50 or 60 decent shots, not a bad ratio. I'll get a web page together, then on with the show - I have a lotta film to burn, and I'm stocked up on B&W chemistry for a change. I found a Fujica 35-ML behind the sofa just now! No wonder my butt was hurting. Dad nabit.

'Course, I have to help Cap'n Clack find a job. Can't have him without a home and his viewfinder getting all rusty.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #21
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

A thread some months ago mentioned that Eckerd drug stores were closing out Kodak 35mm slide films.
I decided to check it out and it's true. This morning I picked up 8 rolls of Kodachrome 64, 135-24, dated 6/2006 for $1.67 each. Another store had Elitechrome for the same price, I think.
Selection is spotty; some stores have fresh film, some outdated; some have both, one or neither.

Porter's is still advertising Konica VX400 C41 black and white print film, 135-24, for about a buck per roll...

Excelsior, you fathead!
-Chris-

Old 11-02-2005   #22
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt
A thread some months ago mentioned that Eckerd drug stores were closing out Kodak 35mm slide films.
I decided to check it out and it's true. This morning I picked up 8 rolls of Kodachrome 64, 135-24, dated 6/2006 for $1.67 each. Another store had Elitechrome for the same price, I think.
Selection is spotty; some stores have fresh film, some outdated; some have both, one or neither.

Porter's is still advertising Konica VX400 C41 black and white print film, 135-24, for about a buck per roll...

Excelsior, you fathead!
-Chris-
Chris,

Thank you for the info about Porters - that's a pretty good deal. I had read some negative reviews on their VX400 C41 B&W film, but now I go back and re-read them, and I suspect that the negative reviews were from folks trying to print them using traditional B&W enlargers in their home darkrooms - and this stuff was made to be printed on normal C41 color paper, and supposedly is pretty good at that.

I don't do either - I prefer to scan and then print once it is in the digital domain, so this should not affect me one way or the other - I can scan it as color negative and then desaturate in The Gimp. So, I'm going to give it a try. They have a 20-pack for $18.95, seems like a good deal.

Thanks again for the heads-up!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #23
Kat

I always appreciate and check out any film deals people post here It's just that I usually can't comment or do anything about it, because I'm located outside the US and can't avail of them.

I just want to ask--is Agfa Arista Edu Ultra (which sounds nicely priced in one of the sites) good? How about the Aristra II? and Professional? Is there any real diff with the Hungarian version? For those who have tried any of these, how do you find them?

Last edited by Kat : 11-02-2005 at 07:40.

Old 11-02-2005   #24
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
I always appreciate and check out any film deals people post here It's just that I usually can't comment or do anything about it, because I'm located outside the US and can't avail of them.

I just want to ask--is Agfa Arista Edu Ultra (which sounds nicely priced in one of the sites) good? For those who have tried it, how do you find it? How about the Aristra II? Is there any real diff with the Hungarian version?
I have tried the Arista.EDU Ultra, which is FOMAPAN, not Agfa. I like it quite a bit, and doubly so at the price!

I have not used the Arista II, so cannot comment.

I do not care for the Arista.EDU standard stuff, which I believe was Forte and was so curly it was very hard to scan (120 and 35mm). I thought the image quality itself was fine - kinda grainy which is not a bad thing - but it was a fight to deal with it and so not worth the trouble for me.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #25
pshinkaw
Trying to get it right

Two of my local film sources dump their outdated film into 1/2 -Off boxes at the beginning of each month. The best picks are usually gone in a few days. You might want to schedule a "pick-up" at the beginning of the month.

Also, if anyone is curious, Porter's sells Mitsubishi conventional B&W film, ISO 400 in 24 exposure rolls. I'm working my way through a dozen rolls I purchased this summer. It is marked made in Europe for Mitsubishi. The plastic canisters look exactly like Efke film, but the film istself looks more like Forte. That is based on the color of the undeveloped emulsion and the font of the edge markings after it is developed. The results in D-76 are grainy, about like old Tri-X.

Not my cup of tea, but it might be yours.

-Paul

Old 11-02-2005   #26
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt

Excelsior, you fathead!
-Chris-
Chris: Yeah, I posted that as I found the K64 and Elitechrome on clearance here in Rochester. 3-packs of Kodak B&W 24 exp. were also on sale, I think around $2.87.

All the Eckerds I've visited recently are all out, and any of the chromes available are at regular price. I'm going to an Eckerds this afternoon, so I will check for current status. If there is more in the system, I'll grab some more.

Trius

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 11-02-2005   #27
Kat

Thanks, Bill. I'll think about the ultra, then. Oops, my booboo on agfa/arista, it's 1 am my time, so the eyes are starting to get bleary. Did a search on past threads related to these films, info's great.

As for film deals, I found a B&W film here in Manila for a little less than $1USD per 36 exp roll, 100ASA. Brand name is Colpan. It's imported (not sure from where) but packed locally, the box has spanish words. Not up to the quality of other branded B&Ws, of course, but the price is great, so it's not bad if you want to waste film or just practice. No website/online stores, though, so I'm not sure how anyone else here can avail of it...I buy and use it and can pick up some for whoever wants, but I'm not sure the shipping would be worth it. Picture quality...my friend who used it in the past said it leans more towards shades of gray. All my B&W pics here (http:[email protected]/) used the film, but they're not very good test shots as the camera I used appeared to have some flare problems (no hood yet).

Fuji has a portrait film ("ProPlus") they sell here in packs of 5, comes out probably about $1.25 USD per 36exp roll. The RF colored shots in the same webalbum are from this film.

Last edited by Kat : 11-14-2005 at 04:10.

Old 11-02-2005   #28
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
Thanks, Bill. I'll think about the ultra, then. Oops, my booboo on agfa/arista, it's 1 am my time, so the eyes are starting to get bleary. Did a search on past threads related to these films, info's great.

As for film deals, I found a B&W film here in Manila for a little less than $1USD per 36 exp roll, 100ASA. Brand name is Colpan. It's imported (not sure from where) but packed locally, the box has spanish words. Not up to the quality of other branded B&Ws, of course, but the price is great, so it's not bad if you want to waste film or just practice. No website/online stores, though, so I'm not sure how anyone else here can avail of it...I buy and use it and can pick up some for whoever wants, but I'm not sure the shipping would be worth it. Picture quality...my friend who used it in the past said it leans more towards shades of gray. All my B&W pics here (http:[email protected]/) used the film, but they're not very good test shots as the camera I used appeared to have some light leak problems.

Fuji has a portrait film ("ProPlus") they sell here in packs of 5, comes out probably about $1.25 USD per 36exp roll. The RF colored shots in the same webalbum are from this film.
Thanks, Kat. I spent a little time in Olongapo City back in the early 1980's. PI is a beautiful place!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #29
bmattock

I went out at lunch today and did a little local sleuthing...

We have three chains of drugstores here in Wilson, NC - Walgreens, Eckerds, and CVS/pharmacy. I am quite familiar with the contents of Walgreens, so I went to Eckerds and CVS. Here are my results, yours may vary:

Eckerds:

They have a store brand of 200 and 400 C41 film, all outdated and covered in dust. From the packages, I do not know where it is made. The packages say "Made for the USA, packaged in the USA." It is about a buck a box (of 4) cheaper than the similar Kodak Gold 200 and 400. By the way, I was able to confirm, the Kodak Gold *is* all made in China, according to the box. That was a shocker to me when I first heard it here on RFF.

Eckerds DOES have a deal, though. They have Kodak Kodachrome 64 (24 exp) for $1.67 per roll - this is a good deal. Says "Made in USA" on it. Process K-14. Expiration 06/2006. They also have Kodak EliteChrome 200 for $1.97 per roll - also a good deal. I bought a roll of Kodachrome 64 for old time's sake. In total, they had maybe 10 rolls of slide film on display. Not dusty/outdated like their own house brand.

CVS/pharmacy:

I then went over to CVS. They have a store brand 200 and 400 C41 film as well, theirs are both marked "Made in Japan." I don't know if they are therefore Fuji, or Konica Minolta, or even Mitsubishi (if they even make C41 color film in Japan, I dunno). The prices are again, about a buck a box (of 4) cheaper than the same thing in Fuji or Kodak 200 and 400. However, they have TRI-X 400 at $4.12 per roll (24 exp). I was surprised, I did not think anyone in town had true B&W film anymore. I guess I didn't look good enough. However, it was all past-dated, it expired in June of 2005. They DID have some Kodak Elite Chrome 200 just like Eckerds, but they wanted $7.97 per roll for it - yikes!

That's the news from here. The Eckerds slide film seems a good deal, if you have an Eckerds where you live, you might check it out if you shoot slide film.

Next time, I'm going to start checking the various and sundry 'Dollar' stores around this town.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #30
bmattock

Just found this:

Mitsubishi MX II 100 135-24
Mitsubishi MIT124
Pack of 10 - US $9.50 (95 cents per roll)

http://www.imageprointernational.com/shopexd.asp?id=256

I have never dealt with Image Pro International and do not know what kind of company they are, but I think they are legit - they are based in Miami and I found an online purchase order for the City of Fort Lauderdale Police Department - they ordered a bunch of stuff from them in the past, so that's a good sign.

I also have no idea how good (or bad) Mitsubishi color C41 film might be. So there you go.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-02-2005   #31
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

The one Eckerd I visited at noon has no more Kodachrome (at any price), and if there was any Elitechrome (I don't recall seing any), there wasn't any special pricing on it. My guess is that here in Rochester, where slide films, and Kodachrome particularly, are likely more "appreciated", the sale stock sold out pretty quickly. I know I did my bit!

Most of the chrome I bought was dated 2006 or even early 2007, but there was some 2005 stock, so I'm shooting that first. Now that it's cooler I can take it out of the fridge and move it onto the (enclosed but not heated) back porch. My wife seems to think the fridge is for food.

Trius

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 11-02-2005   #32
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
Just found this:

Mitsubishi MX II 100 135-24
Mitsubishi MIT124
Pack of 10 - US $9.50 (95 cents per roll)

http://www.imageprointernational.com/shopexd.asp?id=256

I have never dealt with Image Pro International and do not know what kind of company they are, but I think they are legit - they are based in Miami and I found an online purchase order for the City of Fort Lauderdale Police Department - they ordered a bunch of stuff from them in the past, so that's a good sign.

I also have no idea how good (or bad) Mitsubishi color C41 film might be. So there you go.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Bill , that's a crazy price. I'm going to see if I can find opinions of some users. At that price I might be a buyer of 20 rolls just to see.

it's all about light

Old 11-02-2005   #33
Jordan W.

Jan -- I'm in Toronto, like you.

I'm still whittling down my stockpile of film that I gathered up before moving back here from the USA, so I haven't felt the full brunt of the prices here yet. But Jon of www.groundglass.ca and I have an order on the way from Freestyle in L.A. with a bunch of the Arista.EDU Ultra 200 (aka Fomapan) -- he has had them ship to Canada before and it went pretty smoothly. Even after currency conversion and shipping costs, this film is cheaper than out-dated B&W film bought locally. (It kills me to see what places like Downtown Camera want for stale-dated Portra 800 -- $7 a roll or something? Craziness.)

I would also second the recommendation of the Megaperls webshop in Japan. I was very pleased with their service -- I bought 100' of Neopan 1600, which arrived in under a week and slipped through the customs radar (i.e. no tax or import duties). Dirk Roesler, who runs it, is very friendly and helpful. You'll definitely save money on Fuji films vs. local prices.

My third recommendation is a seller who goes by the name (IIRC) jay3jay3 (or something like that) on eBay. I bought a whole mess of Fuji Press 400 and 800 in 35mm format from him at very reasonable prices. He has other film up on a regular basis. I think he's located in Hamilton.

Good luck...

Old 12-28-2005   #34
Pico
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
120 film is extremely expensive in the Netherlands; I buy all mine (non-expired, that is) from an *bay person called knotrc. His prices, even including shipping (from Hong Kong) and insurance, are less - sometimes HALF of - what I am charged here. They may not compete with North-American prices though...
Are you sure his film is not counterfeit? Hong Kong is notorious for selling such.

Old 01-11-2006   #35
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

My local Walmart has Polaroid 200 speed color film for 77 cents a roll(.77$US). Only 12 exposures but I bought a bunch and didn't come close to cleaning them out.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 05-08-2006   #36
kully
Happy Snapper

I've found 7dayshop.com to be the cheapest in the UK for C-41, E-6 and black and white. Have a butchers, they have special deals on quite often.

At the moment it is five rolls of thirty-six exposure Superia for 4.95 (99p/rool).

Old 05-17-2006   #37
jshelly

If your willing to buy in bulk quantities, I've been very happy with BatteriesandButter.com especially with the canister only stuff

http://*******.com/nlb78

Last edited by jshelly : 05-17-2006 at 10:52.

Old 05-31-2006   #38
John Robertson

In Scotland my local Lidl Supermarkets are selling packs of 2 x 36 exp Agfa XRG 200 colour films for 99pence. They are dated Dec 2007.
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http:[email protected]/

Old 05-31-2006   #39
telenous

Just to give another nod for 7dayshop.com for the UK and EU(?) market. Lots of offers - and for the friends of Velvia 50, there's some remaining stock.

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 05-31-2006   #40
berci
Photographer Level: ****

Yes, I always buy from 7day, there is always something on offer. My fridge is full of slightly outdated film and I have shot a lot of them and haven't had any problems.